The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 10:33:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Luton Town (h) Pre-season friendly

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Luton Town (h) Pre-season friendly  (Read 5328 times)
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2020, 14:14:40 pm »

Yes, agree with Welly. 2nd string defence no where near and 1st string attack no where near. Smith should be squad player at best. Lot of work to do 8n the next 2 weeks.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2020, 14:19:17 pm »

Oh dear!
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2020, 14:20:28 pm »

That was utter garbage, painful to watch, defence will be ok at L1, apart from that we are so much weaker than last year.
Looks like we will be missing Adams and Hoskins.
PULL YOUR FINGER OUT THOMAS WE NEED AT LEAST ANOTHER 6 L1 players, midfielder playmaker old head and 3 strikers as well as over for back 3.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2020, 14:28:03 pm »

I don’t know what price we are to get relegated but it must be a sure fire thing.

I said I wouldn’t be surprised if we started the new season with a weaker squad than last season and so it has come to pass.

We have half a team in reality and however much spin is put on it the fact remains under the current ownership there isn’t the investment to make us competitive.

What worries me more is if there is a will to.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3355

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2020, 14:29:37 pm »

Good to know the season started today.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2020, 14:33:46 pm »

Please don’t tell me with the first competitive match a week away that things are all happy clappy.

No one knows what our best eleven is.

In fairness we haven’t got a best eleven!!!

We are going to start the season with a number of players who have never played together before.

It is a shambles.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3355

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2020, 14:35:07 pm »

I said I wouldn’t be surprised if we started the new season with a weaker squad than last season and so it has come to pass.

Lips Sealed
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2020, 14:36:43 pm »

It’s embarrassing to be quite frank, Harry Smaith is our only recognised forward with 7 days to the start of the season.
Add into the mix Adams and Hoskins injuries.........
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest3355

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2020, 14:41:56 pm »

It’s embarrassing to be quite frank, Harry Smaith is our only recognised forward with 7 days to the start of the season.
Add into the mix Adams and Hoskins injuries.........

Agreed it needs sorting.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2020, 14:44:48 pm »

Work to do and no more friendlies to play......

to be fair the back line picks itself and looks pretty solid....

Either of the keepers then Rakic, Horsfall and Bolger, with Harriman and Mills outside.

Then add in Watson, Missilou and Hoskins, plus Adams if he gets fit....and thats about it! The likes of Martin, Lines, Smith, Warburton were not regulars in League 2 so don't say about them being first choice players in League 1. Marshall can do a job somewhere...not sure where. Then a sprinkling of youth.

But I don't think anyone can argue that we only have eight or nine League 1 quality players there......

Can't just write the cup games off.....winnable game against Cardiff could bring a televised 2nd round game and/or an even bigger one in the 3rd round..... extra revenue..... even the EFL Trophy games carry £10000 prize money per win....
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2020, 14:45:11 pm »

Never in my life have I known a team play their final pre season match with half a team and no idea who is going to play up front next weekend.

We could buy in half of Barcelona’s squad before next Saturday but it doesn’t detract from the fact that the pre season planning has been a shambles.

The promotion celebrations seem a million miles away!!!

If the club were hoping to sign decent strikers for the peanuts plus model they are wrong.
This will actually cost them more as agents will know we are desperate for forwards.
So whoever thought that out well done.

If things don’t improve on the pitch I can see KT getting a tough time.
Many fans are fed up with the off field dramas without the on field becoming a circus.

The buck stops with KT on this I’m afraid.

Report Spam   Logged
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2020, 15:00:49 pm »

We can’t just expect Adams to step into the side with no pre-season. If we get off to a poor start the confidence will soon ebb away. Pleased with defence and not sure Arnold could do anything about the goals.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2020, 15:21:44 pm »

not sure Arnold could do anything about the goals.

What?
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2020, 15:56:34 pm »

The good news;

We should be in a very decent financial position (especially by comparison with a fair portion of our rivals). We haven't signed any forwards this close season that we already know are not up to it. There must be funds available to sign forwards and there must be sides desperate for some cash.

Obviously not a complete team as of now. Most of the new signings look decent for this level.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2020, 16:04:46 pm »

The Good is how good the back three and Mills played. That gives us a great foundation. We definitely need cover for them which isn't Joe Martin and think a loan will be done.

The Bad is the lack of forwards. I'm not that concerned about this as I'm confident we won't start the league games without the additions.

The Ugly is the lack of creativity from midfield today. It is ESSENTIAL that a good play maker is signed before the end of the window.

There is time though and clearly money available. Not ideal preparation for the season but we aren't the only club in this position.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
guest3086

« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2020, 16:21:24 pm »

The good news;

We should be in a very decent financial position (especially by comparison with a fair portion of our rivals). We haven't signed any forwards this close season that we already know are not up to it. There must be funds available to sign forwards and there must be sides desperate for some cash.

Obviously not a complete team as of now. Most of the new signings look decent for this level.

Just wondering what makes you think we are in a very decent financial position?
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2020, 16:34:52 pm »

Just wondering what makes you think we are in a very decent financial position?

Purely the fact that we have covered around 25% of our normal turnover just by selling one player?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2020, 16:41:03 pm »

A few points.

1. As many have said, the back three and Mills look very good. As we know from the play-offs, Harriman is also very decent and will give us good versatile cover across the back line (I think he'll probably be second choice as wing-back once Adams is back). Agree with others that we need another centre back as cover.

2. KT said on the the 'itsallcobblerstome' Q&A that we had bid cash for Morton and that we wanted to bring in at least three forwards. This suggests that the money is there but KC is taking his time and trying to get the best value possible. We know that KC styles himself as a canny transfer-market operator. He seems to love incentivised contracts (c.f. Bolger's deal) and I think he's probably holding out and playing hard ball on a few deals with the hope that some strikers get hungry enough to sign. I think the reasoning is that the pandemic situation will lead to a last minute scramble for deals when players realise they aint going to get better options. I would say that his recruitment has been far better than his recent predecessors and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

3. It may well be that the trialist striker (Benny Ashley-Seal) was a big part of the game plan today and also that he was a real contender for us to sign as one of the three forwards for this season. His injury clearly threw the game plan out, meaning that Korboa had to move from CAM to striker.

4. I suspect KC will treat the Cardiff and MK games as glorified pre-season friendlies, which, to be honest, is a strategy I would largely support. I'm sure we'll see some incoming strikers by the Cardiff game meaning that they will have a couple of games to bed in before facing league action. If we don't then I'll be the first to join in with those expressing concern.

5. As others have said, I still think we need another central midfielder. Hoskins is playing well but we need some competition/back for him in the number 10 CAM role (particularly if he really has done his hamstring). A play-maker type who can give us a more subtle option and lay the ball into the wing-backs or play through passes to a quick striker would be ideal.

6. I think we are five players away from being a secure League One side: three strikers, one CAM, one back up centre back. Ultimately, I trust KC to address this over the next couple of weeks, but time will tell.

Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2020, 17:00:29 pm »

I would put a small wager on us ending up with Jamie devitt to add creativity if he isn’t already fixed up elsewhere (I’m not sure where he is to be honest)
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2020, 17:17:03 pm »

2. KT said on the the 'itsallcobblerstome' Q&A that we had bid cash for Morton and that we wanted to bring in at least three forwards. This suggests that the money is there but KC is taking his time and trying to get the best value possible.

Oh dear, that won't please the anti-KT mob! What say you, Manwork & Shoemaker?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: