The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 09:44:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Bristol City (a) EFL Cup R2 - 16/09/20

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol City (a) EFL Cup R2 - 16/09/20  (Read 5271 times)
Dan

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2020, 21:00:09 pm »

What that has shown me is that we need 5 or 6 signings still. Midfield and defence look a big worry right now. Can’t judge the forwards as they had zero service for 90 minutes.

Also clear that Mitchell isn’t an improvement on Arnold so send him back and find someone who might be.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2020, 21:10:13 pm »

You'd think that Racic, Adams, Mills, Smith, Korboa, maybe Warburton and Nuttal would come back into this team if you had all the options avaliable to you, so it was hardly the strongest 11 that ended the game, but the extra bodies are sorely needed.

Probably with Curle's system is when the ball doesn't stick up front, or the wing backs don't push forward, then it god awful to watch.
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2020, 21:18:27 pm »

I will say that I do think Hoskins will struggle to play the way he wants without a target man playing in front of him. He isn't going to win any headers himself, and as we don't actually pass the ball to him from midfield he's basically sitting on the pitch doing sweet f*** all.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3396

« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2020, 21:33:45 pm »

Managing the welfare and fitness of the players is always paramount.

If that meant game time for fringe players, those returning from injury, and those coming through the ranks, then, it was a good 90 Mins.

Martin is under-rated on this board.  He can still do a good job for us.

The Manager will pick the best players to suit a particular game.  That may mean your "Favourite" may be benched.  But, Curle picks his sides for the long-term, and manages their welfare properly.

If only we had the strength and depth of Barcelona, eh?

Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2020, 21:44:26 pm »

As soon as I saw Marshall and Warburton on the bench and Korboa not involved I concluded;
1. We were not prioritising this competition.
2. The cricket would be a better watch.

The cricket continued to be a great watch. Just a pity we lost that as well.

Hopefully confidence is not dented too much.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2020, 21:45:04 pm »

I will say that I do think Hoskins will struggle to play the way he wants without a target man playing in front of him. He isn't going to win any headers himself, and as we don't actually pass the ball to him from midfield he's basically sitting on the pitch doing sweet **** all.

Poor advertisement for Team Northampton Town! Defence fell apart second half and the midfield went awol too. Virtually impossible to name any player who played with any semblance of distinction. What got me was that we we decided to play this game as a lost cause and it showed.
Sorry to say it but it ranked of poor management with at one time 4 very young players on the pitch some of whom looked totally lost. As the commentator mentioned you have to go back to the 90's for such a comprehensive EFL cup defeat. It's all very well blooding young players but their confidence must have taken a catastrophic hit; can't have done the confidence of the defence any good either.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3355

« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2020, 22:18:07 pm »

But people were moaning about the youth guys not getting a chance?
Report Spam   Logged
Air-Dan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2020, 22:23:05 pm »

Remember we beat Cardiff 3-0 in the first round when we actually played our strongest XI.

Curle clearly had no interest in progressing further in the competition, using it as an opportunity to blood youngsters and get Hoskins some much-needed game time. The tactics clearly didn't suit those players though and for that he must take responsibility.

Whether playing that team was right or wrong is a separate debate, but clearly the focus is on the league and you can't judge our first team squad based on that performance.
Report Spam   Logged
Wattie

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2020, 00:58:40 am »

As soon as I saw Marshall and Warburton on the bench and Korboa not involved I concluded;
1. We were not prioritising this competition.
2. The cricket would be a better watch.

The cricket continued to be a great watch. Just a pity we lost that as well.

Hopefully confidence is not dented too much.

Pretty much summed it up for me, that said Bristol city looked a great side and will be pushing for prem spot. Always about survival this season.

Cricket was more disappointing, such a great position to just throw it away.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3396

« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2020, 03:39:25 am »

Against a team geared up for the Prem, we were 2nd best.

But, bear in mind, the amount of money Bristol City are spending.

They showed silky skills, incredible accuracy in passing, and.... what more to say.

On another day, things may have been different.

But, there was no shame in this defeat.

The 3 in defence need to learn more about not getting sucked into goal, only for the ball to be played behind them.

Everyone standing up to an attacker needs to learn when to mis-time their tackle without being booked.

Everyone needs to understand that the level of quality seen against Bristol City will NOT be repeated at any stage in Div 1.

If we can learn a new standard, let's learn.  Every person at the club is desperate for us to succeed.  And, we will succeed.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2020, 06:46:44 am »

Curle didn’t pick a weakened side , he picked a team that he thought would close down better and would stop them from playing.
Failed .
The worry for me is the defensive unit . Three new centre halves will take time to gel but they had better learn quickly and I hope they are as accomplished as Keith thinks they are.
Martin should be nowhere near the starting eleven and should be shifted out along with the other dead wood .
Report Spam   Logged
Clint

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2020, 08:04:04 am »

Against a team geared up for the Prem, we were 2nd best.

But, bear in mind, the amount of money Bristol City are spending.

They showed silky skills, incredible accuracy in passing, and.... what more to say.

On another day, things may have been different.

But, there was no shame in this defeat.

The 3 in defence need to learn more about not getting sucked into goal, only for the ball to be played behind them.

Everyone standing up to an attacker needs to learn when to mis-time their tackle without being booked.

Everyone needs to understand that the level of quality seen against Bristol City will NOT be repeated at any stage in Div 1.

If we can learn a new standard, let's learn.  Every person at the club is desperate for us to succeed.  And, we will succeed.

Very well said!
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2020, 08:12:26 am »

Curle didn’t pick a weakened side , he picked a team that he thought would close down better and would stop them from playing.
Failed .
The worry for me is the defensive unit . Three new centre halves will take time to gel but they had better learn quickly and I hope they are as accomplished as Keith thinks they are.
Martin should be nowhere near the starting eleven and should be shifted out along with the other dead wood .
From what I saw last night that’s most of the team, mid table L2 at best.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2020, 08:25:57 am »

What that has shown me is that we need 5 or 6 signings still. Midfield and defence look a big worry right now.

dont think you are going to get them - should be at least 3 more - through the spine of the team. Then, hopefully when people come back from injury we have a decent, competitive squad and can ship out some of the dead wood - at the minute its all a bit pre-season - but thats the case for every team i suppose!!

as long as we arent cut adrift already after 10 games i think we will be fine
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2020, 08:54:25 am »

Failed .
At the moment, we don't have enough players for any of them to be considered "dead wood". I agree that some of them are not up to League 1 standard but we might need them unless we bring in more players
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2020, 11:24:08 am »

At the moment, we don't have enough players for any of them to be considered "dead wood". I agree that some of them are not up to League 1 standard but we might need them unless we bring in more players

Talk about vague comments - please be more specific about which players are not in yr opinion are sub standard L1?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2020, 11:33:25 am »

It’s going to be a very long season......
https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/curle-field-strong-team-cup-tie-bristol-city-2972882
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2020, 12:13:06 pm »

He did say the strongest "squad"

Lets be honest, everyone who is fit is in the squad! Whether he fielded his strongest "team" is different.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2020, 13:01:13 pm »

dont think you are going to get them - should be at least 3 more - through the spine of the team. Then, hopefully when people come back from injury we have a decent, competitive squad and can ship out some of the dead wood - at the minute its all a bit pre-season - but thats the case for every team i suppose!!

as long as we arent cut adrift already after 10 games i think we will be fine

Think you're right about the numbers. Crucial that we get three strong additions in.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2020, 13:08:23 pm »

Talk about vague comments - please be more specific about which players are not in yr opinion are sub standard L1?
Most of the players have been named somewhere in this thread but League 1 could be a struggle for Marshall, Adams, Martin, Lines, Smith & Warburton, I hope some, or all of them, prove the opposite, but I've based that on last seasons form and took age into account.
        We haven't seen enough of Korboa, Ashley-Seal, Mitchell, Bolger, Nuttall or Racic to form an opinion, but like I said, none of the players can be considered "dead wood" if you can't replace them with better players.
        We have some good lads coming through the Youth team but is it a great idea to throw them all in together ?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: