The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 06:16:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Board - Fact Or Fiction?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Board - Fact Or Fiction?  (Read 1984 times)
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« on: October 02, 2020, 21:34:38 pm »

Paid an undisclosed fee for another player and given him a 2 year contract. This against a backdrop of no supporters through the turnstiles and no prospect of them returning anytime soon? This forum has been chockablock full of accusations against the board over the last few years. Land grabbing parasites, killing the club, only interested in feathering their own nests, you name it plenty on here have said it. The rhetoric and abuse has been merciless and relentless at times. The club is currently haemorrhaging money at a rate probably never been seen before in its history and still we sign players week after week? I am just wondering what everyone’s take is on the board now and whether all those comments were fact or fiction? Does anyone who previously had a negative view of the board wish to change their opinion and perhaps offer an apology? Or are they happy to continue with the same assumptions, and if so why?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 21:40:43 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 22:59:55 pm »

Come in the disgruntled ones Grin

Ps don’t encourage them too much. An apology? You’ll be lucky Roll Eyes 🍀 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 23:15:27 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 23:38:25 pm »

I think there is no getting away from the fact that NTFC have been incredibly lucky in quite a few ways in 2020. First of all we have a FA Cup run which brings in around £750,000, we then get promoted when not too many thought we would which increased our share of TV money. We then sell Charlie Goode for around £1M, and we were able to get rid of the last of the big earners from the JFH era and we have, apparently, sold getting on for 3,000 Season Tickets. The FA Cup, Charlie Goode and STs have bought in over £2.5M plus our share of the TV money, the playing budget is rumoured to be in the region of £1.2M and a lot of the staff have been furloughed so we should, hopefully, be OK to ride out this rough spell without KT & DB dipping into their pocket too much.
    The figures I've used have been quoted elsewhere, they might not be 100% accurate but I don't think they are too far out.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 23:43:45 pm »

I think there is no getting away from the fact that NTFC have been incredibly lucky in quite a few ways in 2020. First of all we have a FA Cup run which brings in around £750,000, we then get promoted when not too many thought we would which increased our share of TV money. We then sell Charlie Goode for around £1M, and we were able to get rid of the last of the big earners from the JFH era and we have, apparently, sold getting on for 3,000 Season Tickets. The FA Cup, Charlie Goode and STs have bought in over £2.5M plus our share of the TV money, the playing budget is rumoured to be in the region of £1.2M and a lot of the staff have been furloughed so we should, hopefully, be OK to ride out this rough spell without KT & DB dipping into their pocket too much.
    The figures I've used have been quoted elsewhere, they might not be 100% accurate but I don't think they are too far out.

Incredibly lucky? Or, incredibly well managed? on and off the pitch? Depends which side of the fence you're on I suppose.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3355

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 23:55:28 pm »

To call it lucky is incredibly rude to the club.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 05:12:42 am »

KC and DB have given the club a stability of ownership and the obvious cherry on top will be the eventual development of the East Stand. Like most supporters I do not care if they make a few million pounds on the land if NTFC get a 10K capacity ground with the facilities to generate income 365 days of the year!

Over to KT/DB and NBC.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 05:52:01 am »

Whether the figures are accurate or lucky or not, they could’ve kept the money and blamed Covid?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 06:26:43 am »

Whether the figures are accurate or lucky or not, they could’ve kept the money and blamed Covid?

I was thinking exactly the same whilst reading it...  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 06:34:07 am »

KC and DB have given the club a stability of ownership and the obvious cherry on top will be the eventual development of the East Stand. Like most supporters I do not care if they make a few million pounds on the land if NTFC get a 10K capacity ground with the facilities to generate income 365 days of the year!

Over to KT/DB and NBC.

Precisely. I've always said we owe KT & DB for still having a club to support and I've been very uncomfortable when reading some of the diatribes aimed at them on here by a number of posters, whose views I don't believe are shared by the vast majority of the fanbase.

As Melly says, the board could easily have sat on the exceptional funds raised over the last season (and presumably they have kept some of it as a rainy day fund) but they've certainly not been shy of dipping into it to fund KC, as indeed they have backed all the managers that have been here during their stewardship.

Personally, I think they deserve a lot of credit for how they are running our club.

Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
claretparrot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 07:10:08 am »

Paid an undisclosed fee for another player and given him a 2 year contract. This against a backdrop of no supporters through the turnstiles and no prospect of them returning anytime soon? This forum has been chockablock full of accusations against the board over the last few years. Land grabbing parasites, killing the club, only interested in feathering their own nests, you name it plenty on here have said it. The rhetoric and abuse has been merciless and relentless at times. The club is currently haemorrhaging money at a rate probably never been seen before in its history and still we sign players week after week? I am just wondering what everyone’s take is on the board now and whether all those comments were fact or fiction? Does anyone who previously had a negative view of the board wish to change their opinion and perhaps offer an apology? Or are they happy to continue with the same assumptions, and if so why?

Well said, that man. As far as I can see though the criticisms were never founded on logic, so doubt this will make the blindest bit of difference.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 09:21:26 am »

We should all know that KT/DB are very successful people and will only ever do what they consider best for themselves once they've taken any effect that will have on the club into consideration as far as we supporters are concerned. That has been your point all long Melbourne as far as I can see. That is, that no one in their right minds would invest money into a lower division football club purely for speculative reasons without there being a very big personal carrot being dangled. I would absolutely agree with that, it's only common sense that they are not philanthropists first, but they are out to make a profit for themselves first.
So isnt it obvious that they will have come this decision, to invest further in the squad, because they feel primarily that's what's best for them? If we assume KC has been given a budget of X and still has a part of that left, they will have weighed up the pros and cons of telling him that is no now longer the case or allowing him to continue spend it how he chooses. In this instance they obviously feel telling him theyve just taken his budget back will have more of a negative effect to them and the club than letting him keep it. That's their decision and they'll stand on it. I dont see that anyone should apologise to them for it. Curle might have walked (unlikely I know) or they might see avoiding relegation as a priority financially in the long term over tightening further the purse strings. I think they saw div 3 survival as priority when they spunked the Chinese wonga (so perhaps we should be critical that they have not learnt a lesson)? Maybe they take the view that once all these other clubs we're being told will go pop due to Covid the rearranged leagues will see us in the championship.
I think to assume they have let KC get this guy in because they are nowt but ragged trousered philantropists and that any one who has been critical of their running of the club previously should now apologise is being a little opportunist.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 10:05:50 am »

We should all know that KT/DB are very successful people and will only ever do what they consider best for themselves once they've taken any effect that will have on the club into consideration as far as we supporters are concerned. That has been your point all long Melbourne as far as I can see. That is, that no one in their right minds would invest money into a lower division football club purely for speculative reasons without there being a very big personal carrot being dangled. I would absolutely agree with that, it's only common sense that they are not philanthropists first, but they are out to make a profit for themselves first.
So isnt it obvious that they will have come this decision, to invest further in the squad, because they feel primarily that's what's best for them? If we assume KC has been given a budget of X and still has a part of that left, they will have weighed up the pros and cons of telling him that is no now longer the case or allowing him to continue spend it how he chooses. In this instance they obviously feel telling him theyve just taken his budget back will have more of a negative effect to them and the club than letting him keep it. That's their decision and they'll stand on it. I dont see that anyone should apologise to them for it. Curle might have walked (unlikely I know) or they might see avoiding relegation as a priority financially in the long term over tightening further the purse strings. I think they saw div 3 survival as priority when they spunked the Chinese wonga (so perhaps we should be critical that they have not learnt a lesson)? Maybe they take the view that once all these other clubs we're being told will go pop due to Covid the rearranged leagues will see us in the championship.
I think to assume they have let KC get this guy in because they are nowt but ragged trousered philantropists and that any one who has been critical of their running of the club previously should now apologise is being a little opportunist.

Interesting points CJ and whilst I am obviously firmly in one camp, I did try to make it more of a question than a statement? What I would say though is that whilst your comments are valid, there is apparently far more to any plan and their motives than just a land grab, which was the main accusation? I wouldn’t stretch that plan to having mainly philanthropic purposes though either?
Report Spam   Logged

Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 10:26:11 am »

As Melly says, the board could easily have sat on the exceptional funds raised over the last season (and presumably they have kept some of it as a rainy day fund) but they've certainly not been shy of dipping into it to fund KC, as indeed they have backed all the managers that have been here during their stewardship.

I think that the board have given all the managers a "Competitive" budget, relevant to what division we are in and what sized club we are. For instance, when we are in League 2 we are one of the "bigger" clubs and therefore would expect to have a bigger budget than the likes of Morecambe & Stevenage.
    The only time we splashed out was our last season in League 1 and that was the "Chinese money" which didn't materialise. I would imagine that KC is working to a known budget and I doubt that signing Danny Rose has broke the budget.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2020, 10:44:11 am »

Interesting points CJ and whilst I am obviously firmly in one camp, I did try to make it more of a question than a statement? What I would say though is that whilst your comments are valid, there is apparently far more to any plan and their motives than just a land grab, which was the main accusation? I wouldn’t stretch that plan to having mainly philanthropic purposes though either?
You did pose a question Melbourne, accepted.
I think they came in five (?) years ago declaring this was a medium term project for them and that they'd be out of Sixfields pretty much by now, and I think that would have been the case had things gone their way. My gut instinct and it is just that, is had they achieved that, they would have left the club in a better financisl position and not just themselves. That's what most reasoned people have always suggested and expected?
As we all are now, I expect every financisl decision they take will be taken with even greater scrutiny and foresight.
So if they consider paying money (a token amount?) and  increasing the wage bill in the process, I'm sure they will have ticked all the boxes beforehand from both business and playing perspectives. The fact their decision seems to satisfy most supporters will be a welcome bonus for them I'm sure.
Does he get a game today?
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 00:02:00 am »

I think there is also an interesting side issue to this? What’s everyone’s view on a rich benefactor coming in and bankrolling the club? In my opinion these individuals are potentially one of the worst types to get stuck with? They act out their fantasy football dreams, basking in the adulation and public attention whilst the club in question takes a surge up the pyramid in a dash for glory carrying the support base along with them? The problem is that the model is invariably unsustainable? Therefore when they run out of cash, their health or business interests fail or boredom or retirement occurs the club plummets as quickly as it rose. The brief period in the sun is often followed by armageddon and a fight for survival. Are we prepared for the club to be the subject of self indulgent, attention seeking narcissists dreams? Perhaps reasonable and balanced business decisions that benefit all parties is the only sensible and realistic way to run a club like ours?
Report Spam   Logged

Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2020, 07:52:51 am »

I think there is also an interesting side issue to this? What’s everyone’s view on a rich benefactor coming in and bankrolling the club? In my opinion these individuals are potentially one of the worst types to get stuck with? They act out their fantasy football dreams, basking in the adulation and public attention whilst the club in question takes a surge up the pyramid in a dash for glory carrying the support base along with them? The problem is that the model is invariably unsustainable? Therefore when they run out of cash, their health or business interests fail or boredom or retirement occurs the club plummets as quickly as it rose. The brief period in the sun is often followed by armageddon and a fight for survival. Are we prepared for the club to be the subject of self indulgent, attention seeking narcissists dreams? Perhaps reasonable and balanced business decisions that benefit all parties is the only sensible and realistic way to run a club like ours?

Agreed. I think the ideal owner profile would be a man of considerable means, a dyed-in the-wool Cobblers fan, returning from a successful business foray down under ...... someone with the maturity to cope with the adulation they would have to put up from ALL on here.

Hang on.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2020, 08:07:53 am »

Grin
Give me a ride up to the Championship all day long, we wil always end up back in L2 anyway.😳
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2020, 08:31:09 am »

Grin
Give me a ride up to the Championship all day long, we wil always end up back in L2 anyway.😳
The whatever your view, you can’t argue the idea has merit?
Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 08:33:20 am »

Agreed. I think the ideal owner profile would be a man of considerable means, a dyed-in the-wool Cobblers fan, returning from a successful business foray down under ...... someone with the maturity to cope with the adulation they would have to put up from ALL on here.

Hang on.
Do you have anyone in mind HC, I’m ideally placed to go around and talk them into it?
Report Spam   Logged

Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 08:46:42 am »

Do you have anyone in mind HC, I’m ideally placed to go around and talk them into it?
Melly and Manny take over the Cobblers  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: