The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 08:33:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

New Year 2021 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 45   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Year 2021 Transfer Window  (Read 74455 times)
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #260 on: January 05, 2021, 15:48:36 pm »

are you suggesting we should have signed him based on dunstable town wanting him!?

If it is Eric Ameyaw then its more the fact he is now in a premier league academy that's of interest rather than Dunstable. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 16:00:14 pm by Gen.Disorda » Report Spam   Logged

Wattie

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #261 on: January 05, 2021, 16:21:03 pm »

Nothing wrong with Mitchell. Has been be a good keeper and certainly better than Arnold over this season.

Completely agree, I would love to see us sign him on a permie deal and nurture him through. He is miles better than stay on the line Arnold IMO
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #262 on: January 05, 2021, 16:22:46 pm »

If it is Eric Ameyaw then its more the fact he is now in a premier league academy that's of interest rather than Dunstable. 

Agreed but it would be interesting to see where he ends up. It must be a staggering % of the u23s squads that end up out of the football league.

We have signed some absolute dross from them over the years. A couple of youngsters from Arsenal spring to mind.
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #263 on: January 05, 2021, 18:01:28 pm »

See that Jay Williams spell at Kettering has already ended. Back in league football with Harrogate Town. Good luck to him. Never let us down in his appearances for us. Anybody want to offer first team football to Martin?
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #264 on: January 05, 2021, 18:48:40 pm »

I wouldn’t shed any tears of Smith and Missalou also left to be quite honest.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #265 on: January 05, 2021, 20:56:58 pm »

Me neither
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #266 on: January 06, 2021, 00:24:23 am »

Given the enforced reduction in squad sizes vis a vie the situation with Holmes etc, there has to be some quality kicking around towards the end of the window, there just has to be? I know this was said in the summer, but no one seemed to be able to predict just how cavalier the majority of chairman are? This time they don’t have a choice. I have already asked my question on the Q&A but one of the additional ones I would have put to Curle would have been, “how many players recruited pre season were first choice selections. I reckon Mills is the only one and wouldn’t be surprised if some were 3rd or even fourth choice? We need some first choice players in this window. That is if we are still insisting on recruiting at all which is still fraught with danger IMO.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #267 on: January 06, 2021, 07:20:41 am »

Keith's take on the transfer window.....

https://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/2021/january/kc_060121/

To me it seems to be very similar to what he said in the previous window(s) whereas he says this one is very different! "working to get the best options, looking at 5 or 6 and if we get two its a good window", "value for money, hungry players and unlocking potential" "ready to move if the right players become available"....didn't we hear that in the summer?

To me it seems to point away from experienced players and more to younger options.......?

Also the 22 man squad thing is a bit of a red herring....yes its there, but it was there in the summer window too, it comes across in that article as a new thing for this window which it isn't. It was brought in alongside the salary caps to stop the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth having 30 (experienced) men squads, levelling the playing field whilst at the same time promoting younger home grown players.

Time will tell, there's over three weeks to go, but the article strikes me as one which is looking for us to play down any expectations we may have had about lots of big name quality replacements coming in this month. In the current financial climate that probably makes sense though.......good housekeeping and all that.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #268 on: January 06, 2021, 08:00:58 am »

Keith's take on the transfer window.....

https://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/2021/january/kc_060121/

To me it seems to be very similar to what he said in the previous window(s) whereas he says this one is very different! "working to get the best options, looking at 5 or 6 and if we get two its a good window", "value for money, hungry players and unlocking potential" "ready to move if the right players become available"....didn't we hear that in the summer?

To me it seems to point away from experienced players and more to younger options.......?

Also the 22 man squad thing is a bit of a red herring....yes its there, but it was there in the summer window too, it comes across in that article as a new thing for this window which it isn't. It was brought in alongside the salary caps to stop the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth having 30 (experienced) men squads, levelling the playing field whilst at the same time promoting younger home grown players.

Time will tell, there's over three weeks to go, but the article strikes me as one which is looking for us to play down any expectations we may have had about lots of big name quality replacements coming in this month. In the current financial climate that probably makes sense though.......good housekeeping and all that.

I don’t really disagree with any of that but it would have been helpful if the Chairman hadn’t told us on his recent Zoom interview that Curle needed to bring more league one quality players in as it sounds like they aren’t on the same page? I’m of a mind that if he can bring 2 or 3 quality loans in, be they under 21 or otherwise, then I would be happy but it would have been useful if KT hadn’t raised expectations in his interview.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 06, 2021, 08:27:28 am »

Given the enforced reduction in squad sizes vis a vie the situation with Holmes etc, there has to be some quality kicking around towards the end of the window, there just has to be? I know this was said in the summer, but no one seemed to be able to predict just how cavalier the majority of chairman are? This time they don’t have a choice. I have already asked my question on the Q&A but one of the additional ones I would have put to Curle would have been, “how many players recruited pre season were first choice selections. I reckon Mills is the only one and wouldn’t be surprised if some were 3rd or even fourth choice? We need some first choice players in this window. That is if we are still insisting on recruiting at all which is still fraught with danger IMO.
I think “Last Choice” would be nearer the mark for some of the dross we had and still have.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 06, 2021, 08:28:56 am »

I don’t really disagree with any of that but it would have been helpful if the Chairman hadn’t told us on his recent Zoom interview that Curle needed to bring more league one quality players in as it sounds like they aren’t on the same page? I’m of a mind that if he can bring 2 or 3 quality loans in, be they under 21 or otherwise, then I would be happy but it would have been useful if KT hadn’t raised expectations in his interview.
Let’s wait and see, for sure if we get relegated Curle has to go so if I was Keith I’d be Zooming KT saying what’s my budget for these L1 standard players you promised the fans?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #271 on: January 06, 2021, 08:38:03 am »

I know circumstances have changed rapidly throughout this season and last, but If we were not going to invest big I would have probably tried my luck with  Jnr.Mcwilliams and Jay Williams rather than some of the dross we signed. 

The problem is now I don't know if I would twist again, What if we end up with Turnbull esq contracts and the season is ended a fortnight later.
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #272 on: January 06, 2021, 08:49:04 am »

It's about managing expectation.
Our expectation as fans is always going to exceed reality however it is up to those dealing with the reality to project and get us alongside to understand and have empathy for that reality.
At certain times it is natural for expectations to be blown up/exaggerated, especially when season ticket renewal is imminent for example.  However, during this currently crisis, we are not all idiots and understand the reality.  The fact that the CEO has increased that expectation during his latest interview from Florida hasn't helped the manager, who has in my opinion quite rightly dampened it to more reflect his working reality.
How that is received by the CEO could be interesting or is it a case of the manager dampening the expectation or suggesting low with the intention of delivering slightly higher? 
Again, in my opinon, as long as we have a club to support when full spectator football returns, whatever division we find ourselves in, would be sufficient.
I would prefer it to be with the current manager, but other parties and situations will have more influence in that decision.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #273 on: January 06, 2021, 09:19:36 am »

It will be interesting to listen to the podcast with KT, KC and James Whiting to see if everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #274 on: January 06, 2021, 10:51:00 am »

To be honest I don’t think KT is wrong in that to help us to stay up we do need a few league 1 quality players, the problem though is that is easier said than done. We have zero chance of getting players in who are currently performing well at league 1 level, so we are going to have to gambl, maybe players out of favour at other teams in the league who they don’t deem are league 1 level but KC believes he can turn around. The same goes for players in the championship on low wages, or the other options is young players on loan with little experience but KC thinks can step up.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 11:30:16 am by Winslow Lee » Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #275 on: January 06, 2021, 11:19:37 am »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/curle-says-cobblers-have-money-available-spend-january-insists-he-wont-pay-over-odds-3086986
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #276 on: January 06, 2021, 11:53:14 am »

It seems weird to let everyone know you have money as it will only encourage everyone to ask for more, even if you say you won’t pay over the odds it just makes it more likely deals won’t happen.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 06, 2021, 11:55:08 am »

Cut and paste from the summer, we’ve got a couple of quid, won’t pay over the odds, young hungry players.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #278 on: January 06, 2021, 12:03:28 pm »

It seems weird to let everyone know you have money as it will only encourage everyone to ask for more, even if you say you won’t pay over the odds it just makes it more likely deals won’t happen.
Doesn’t always quite work like that though? Sometimes you demand too much and a club goes for an alternative and you end up with nothing? Didn’t seem to go like that in the summer I confess but it’s still a realistic scenario?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #279 on: January 06, 2021, 12:52:18 pm »

Exactly my thoughts. He is trying to play poker with his cards face up on the table.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 45   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: