The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:19:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Taking the knee

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking the knee  (Read 2495 times)
The Lone Heckler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: January 28, 2021, 08:16:10 am »

A/ Love it?....... It should carry on.
B/ Tolerate it?..... It has got it's poing across.
C/ Dislike it?..... It needs to stop.
D/ Hate it when the fist is also raised?..... It has racist overtones.

For myself the "kick it out" campaign was a real success, never got booed and most, if not all fans got behind it.wheras I feel that BLM has caused racial  division rather than unity so I'm in the D camp.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Miscreant1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 08:32:14 am »

It appears to be getting controversial at some grounds. My wife is black and we have three mixed race children so I've been noticing the protests against it. No dominant race could really appreciate how minorities feel about stuff like this. We don't really talk about racial stuff as we don't feel there is any great problem in the UK. However she can't see the point of Black Lives Matter encouraging gestures that might create division. I think I'd rather the players just played football.
Report Spam   Logged
The Lone Heckler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 08:51:09 am »

Your wife sounds a very reasonable lady (oh that we could all marry one of those lol)

The problem with speaking out against BLM is that you immediatly get branded a racist, I'm not one as all my friends will attest to, but then if you say I have black friends you get the "that's what a racist would say" reply which I have never actually understood as it defies all logic.

Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 08:52:01 am »

A/ Love it?....... It should carry on.
B/ Tolerate it?..... It has got it's poing across.
C/ Dislike it?..... It needs to stop.
D/ Hate it when the fist is also raised?..... It has racist overtones.

For myself the "kick it out" campaign was a real success, never got booed and most, if not all fans got behind it.wheras I feel that BLM has caused racial  division rather than unity so I'm in the D camp.

I agree with you. I back the Kick It Out campaign to the hilt, but that's about dealing with racism within the game. I feel the taking the knee gesture originally made a point but it's now gone beyond that into fairly political territory and I'm uncomfortable with that because politics should have no place in sport.

The BLM movement actually isn't very pleasant when you look into some of their more peripheral aims (and I'm not just talking about the spin off political wing that has appeared in the UK which has nothing to do with the main movement beyond a similar name) and taking the knee is intrinsically linked to that movement.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 09:54:36 am »

It doesn’t evoke any real emotion with me, it all boils down to the impact it is having on what it is hoping to achieve, what in this day an age should be a given and as a shameful indictment on society isn’t.
I tended to agree with Les Ferdinand when QPR stopped taking the knee that it was beginning to just feel like a tick box to be checked off but then when the likes of Millwall fans started booing I was happy for it to continue, so I guess just don’t know. While it might have hijacked for people to attach their own other agendas it shouldn’t take away from the main message that black lives matter Clearly token efforts in the past haven’t worked, if it makes some people uncomfortable I don’t really care if it does actually make a difference, but I guess that’s the question?. I just find it hard to have faith in a society that is so dumb to burn down 5G towers because they think they cause COVID!.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 14:54:32 pm »

Here's a stupid idea. Why don't all footballers this weekend take a knee in honour of Captain Sir Thomas Moore to show that Real Heroes' Lives Matter?
It wont happen.
It wouldn't be allowed because it would be construed as being patriotic and therefore by default racist.
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 15:50:42 pm »

Because the symobolism has absolutely nothing to do with a good hearted old man dying, but its related to Colin Kaepernick. You might as well ask why they don't kneel for cancer research or the RSPCA or anything else competely unrelated to the fact.

Its not like clubs dont also see poppies into their shirts and play the ladt post during rememberance day. Nobody has a problem with honouring Veterans, its just got nothing to do with the protest.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 17:01:42 pm »

Because the symobolism has absolutely nothing to do with a good hearted old man dying, but its related to Colin Kaepernick. You might as well ask why they don't kneel for cancer research or the RSPCA or anything else competely unrelated to the fact.

Its not like clubs dont also see poppies into their shirts and play the ladt post during rememberance day. Nobody has a problem with honouring Veterans, its just got nothing to do with the protest.

+1

They’ve been having a round of applause for Sir Tom before the current round of football matches.

Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 23:15:39 pm »

Here's a stupid idea. Why don't all footballers this weekend take a knee in honour of Captain Sir Thomas Moore to show that Real Heroes' Lives Matter?
It wont happen.
It wouldn't be allowed because it would be construed as being patriotic and therefore by default racist.

I think you’re confusing patriotism with nationalism!
The patriot is proud of his country for what it does The nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does.
I didn’t know Sir Tom but from what I’ve read he was more patriot than nationalist.
A world without nationalists, racists and jingoists would be one we would all welcome. I’m sure you would agree?
PS I do know about our own Walter Tull though and there’s a patriot and national hero we can all take a knee to.
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Air-Dan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 19:09:24 pm »

It wont happen.

You're right, that is a stupid idea.

As stated above, a round of applause was an appropriate show of respect in that case.

Bet you're one of those "all lives matter" plonkers; deliberately missing the point.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 21:28:16 pm »

You're right, that is a stupid idea.

As stated above, a round of applause was an appropriate show of respect in that case.

Bet you're one of those "all lives matter" plonkers; deliberately missing the point.

No, it would appear that you are more likely the plonker and like so many others jump on the bandwagon just to show how down they are with the latest protest group. Try doing a bit of research on Black Lives Matter and the people associated with it.
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 22:05:31 pm »

No, it would appear that you are more likely the **** and like so many others jump on the bandwagon just to show how down they are with the latest protest group. Try doing a bit of research on Black Lives Matter and the people associated with it.

I’m confused now ... is it racial equality that makes you so cross or just the people that have the nerve to ask for it?
As for all this research you’ve done ... my advice is not to believe everything you read in the Daily Express, The Sun and the Q-Anon website.
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 09:54:04 am »

No, it would appear that you are more likely the **** and like so many others jump on the bandwagon just to show how down they are with the latest protest group. Try doing a bit of research on Black Lives Matter and the people associated with it.

I wonder why Sky Sports dropped BLM like a hot potato once they realised the background of the 'organisation' that they had been backing.
I'm still backing and supporting the 'Kick it Out' campaign but I wish they would stop taking the knee.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 15:14:37 pm »

I wonder why Sky Sports dropped BLM like a hot potato once they realised the background of the 'organisation' that they had been backing.
I'm still backing and supporting the 'Kick it Out' campaign but I wish they would stop taking the knee.

Taking the knee has nothing to do with the EFL Kick it Out campaign. It is something started in the US about police brutality and racism in that country.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 15:16:09 pm »

Taking the knee has nothing to do with the EFL Kick it Out campaign. It is something started in the US about police brutality and racism in that country.

I know... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 13:34:56 pm »

It’s encouraging racism, it’s raising the profile of racism in all its ugliness to the hard of thinking.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 17:17:25 pm »

Just a comment of the double standards of the rent-a-mob crowd and the bandwagon jumpers.
I haven't seen a single utterance of protest regarding the murder of PCSO Julia James when just a month ago the lotters were out protesting the tragic murder of another woman. It would appear that Police Lives Don't Matter.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 21:28:45 pm »

It’s encouraging racism, it’s raising the profile of racism in all its ugliness to the hard of thinking.

Very true
A lot of the media don't seem to realise that so called 'positive discrimination' is still, discrimination.

The BLM slogan (let alone the organisation) is divisive, the Premier League slogan 'No Room for Racism' is much more inclusive.
Surely taking the knee is a submissive gesture, I think players like Wilfred Zaha are right to stand proud.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2021, 10:00:38 am »

Very true
A lot of the media don't seem to realise that so called 'positive discrimination' is still, discrimination.

The BLM slogan (let alone the organisation) is divisive, the Premier League slogan 'No Room for Racism' is much more inclusive.
Surely taking the knee is a submissive gesture, I think players like Wilfred Zaha are right to stand proud.
Oxford United didn’t take the knee either, loved the Chelsea fans booing, BLM is a calling card for the underclass to loot, smash things up and attack the Police.
No Room for Racism is the sloan that is inclusive and stop taking the knee FFS.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2021, 08:06:03 am »

I am against 'taking the knee' and think it's well past it's sell by date and needs to stop. Once the fans are back in the grounds in large numbers the booing will only increase. If Gareth Southgate thinks it's not a political gesture the mans deluded.

I noticed last season sometimes the Cobblers did it and sometimes not, anyone know why?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: