The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 10:02:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

New Manager

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 53817 times)
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #200 on: February 16, 2021, 17:54:25 pm »

I think this is quite a tricky appointment. These are the criteria IMO in order of importance:

1. Someone with sufficient League 1 - or at least football league - experience to keep us up. Personally I'm not convinced that a non-league manager would have sufficient nous to be able to scout League One opposition and work out how to effectively combat their threats. It's just too big a jump IMO, but I would feel differently if we were in League Two. 

The financial ramifications of staying at this level IMO are too great to risk an appointment purely based on potential and long-term vision. We need to appoint someone who has the best chance of keeping us up.

2. Someone who plays a mixture of direct and passing football  If we appoint another hoofball merchant then 0 progress will have been made and we may as well have stuck with Curle. The squad and the fans are crying out for a different approach. However, if we brought in someone who was too much of a purist or someone like JFH with a tendency to over-complicate lower league football then things might lurch to the opposite extreme. I've said before that I personally wouldn't want to watch the type of powerpuff pass-it-to-death football peddled by MK Dongs and neither would I want to endure another proponent of Curleball. The type of football I personally like to watch is a combination of direct play (crosses into the box, physical aggression, the odd ball over the top for pacey forwards to run onto) and passing (overlaps, proper width, strikers laying things off to onrushing midfielders, passing through the midfield). The type of football played by Chris Wilder, in short.

3. Someone with a track record of developing youth players
  There are some talented youngsters at the club who desperately need nurturing: McWilliams, Chucks, Pollock, Seal, Dyche etc. In the post-Covid era when money becomes tight I think youth development is going to become more and more important. I'd love someone to take over who could set up a genuine pathway for us there.

Those personally are my criteria. As I've said before I wouldn't personally be looking at non-league managers right now. One possibility would be to give it to someone experienced on a contract until the end of the season and then look to make another long-term appointment in the summer.

Of the names mentioned so far, I personally like Cook, Flynn and Duff.

On the basis we passed it around a bit at Wembley. Come back Keith, all is forgiven.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #201 on: February 16, 2021, 21:43:49 pm »

Of course you are, it happens naturally it’s what people do. A poor result for your pal on Tuesday could be curtains. Very poor judgement by you Cool
Not quite sure what 'Of course you are' is referring to. Can't see in my comments where 'are' is the correct verb. Also, I don't have any 'pals' in NTFC management. Your third sentence, what are you referring to as 'poor judgment'? Apart from not understanding anything you said, could I agree with you please? Obviously the best way.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3355

« Reply #202 on: February 16, 2021, 21:49:58 pm »

Big worry for me is that Brady feels a bit like the Dean Austin situation.
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #203 on: February 16, 2021, 21:51:40 pm »

Might have misread the original comment but 'eloquent'  Roll Eyes ; are you being sarcastic? This is not a criticism but slightly incredulous !  Cool
How can, even you Evers, query a response from one poster to another expressing agreement with what has been said (by B&S) and the way it was expressed? Can you not just leave alone comments between other posters which have nothing to do with you?  
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2021, 21:55:36 pm »

Not quite sure what 'Of course you are' is referring to. Can't see in my comments where 'are' is the correct verb. Also, I don't have any 'pals' in NTFC management. Your third sentence, what are you referring to as 'poor judgment'? Apart from not understanding anything you said, could I agree with you please? Obviously the best way.

Thought that JB's side played ok tonight Cool
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2021, 11:18:12 am »

How can, even you Evers, query a response from one poster to another expressing agreement with what has been said (by B&S) and the way it was expressed? Can you not just leave alone comments between other posters which have nothing to do with you?  

Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2021, 11:29:34 am »

Grin Grin Grin

You are on the thinnest ice imaginable.

Stick to commenting on the football, rather than scrutinising and dissecting everyone's posts.

Report Spam   Logged
Freddie Ramscar

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2021, 11:35:24 am »

You are on the thinnest ice imaginable.

Stick to commenting on the football, rather than scrutinising and dissecting everyone's posts.

[/quote
As you demonstrate with your post.       Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
Linux User Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2021, 11:43:48 am »

Big worry for me is that Brady feels a bit like the Dean Austin situation.

I know what you mean but Brady has at least managed previously (not at league level admittedly) & is a lot more measured & composed than Deano imo...

Everything Brady said last night resonated with supporters. He tries not to complicate things & gives clear concise answers to the questions asked...

If it's Brady or someone else, they've only got the squad KC assembled to work with, so they are already limited with what they can do...

If a new manager comes in & we still can't score what then?

Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #209 on: February 17, 2021, 11:50:22 am »

I'd probably say give them 3 more games, so a fair 5 total to gauge the ability and assess. If there's a game where we're total out of the depth and it looks obvious it's going to not work out, then pull the plug early, but I think 5 games is a fair chance to assess what they're about to a long enough extent you can make a more permanent decision.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #210 on: February 17, 2021, 11:56:00 am »

I'd probably say give them 3 more games, so a fair 5 total to gauge the ability and assess. If there's a game where we're total out of the depth and it looks obvious it's going to not work out, then pull the plug early, but I think 5 games is a fair chance to assess what they're about to a long enough extent you can make a more permanent decision.
I’d agree with this in principle Welly, the only caveat to that is we still have a very good chance of staying up, therefore can we afford to wait that long?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
Linux User Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #211 on: February 17, 2021, 11:57:12 am »

Of course, Brady might not want the job permanently anyway, in which case this speculation is irrelevant.

Local journalist response is that's he's non committal either way...

You never know we might soon get an update from KT regarding candidates & if Brady actually wants it...

Perhaps ntfclad can clarify if Brady wants it or if he's got no chance anyway
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 17, 2021, 12:00:29 pm »

Of course, Brady might not want the job permanently anyway, in which case this speculation is irrelevant.

You never know we might soon get an update from KT regarding candidates & if Brady actually wants it...

Ahhh KT that bastion of communication  Tongue
For me KT really doesn’t take his responsibility seriously enough.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Monkey

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2021, 12:51:25 pm »

Ahhh KT that bastion of communication  Tongue
For me KT really doesn’t take his responsibility seriously enough.

I wish you'd have warned us sooner about KT.
Now Trump has disappeared in to his hole, what I really miss is diatribe with no susbtance from a self-appointed expert, so thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 17, 2021, 20:03:14 pm »

I wish you'd have warned us sooner about KT.
Now Trump has disappeared in to his hole, what I really miss is diatribe with no susbtance from a self-appointed expert, so thanks.
No substance 😂 your as thick as mince Monkey if you think he’s doing a good job.
Thanks for your comment shame you don’t have an opinion but I guess you need a brain for that.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest2995

« Reply #215 on: February 17, 2021, 20:10:22 pm »

Oh he wants it alright .
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #216 on: February 17, 2021, 20:39:31 pm »

Oh he wants it alright .

That'll be embarrassing then if he doesn't get it...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2021, 22:22:47 pm »

We are now stuck with the squad we have, barring any miracle free agents missed by the rest of the world.

Brady has as good, if not better chance of ogetting them to start firing than any journeyman manager we're likely to be able to get in. Let's get real, unless we prise someone who is currently hot away from the job they're in, like we kind of did with Wilder (and tbh I think that was our one moonshot, we won't ever get another) we will end up with another Curlio. Someone out of work because they were fired for failing somewhere else.

So why not give Brady til the end of the season? On all known form so far this season we're certs for the drop, so how bad can it get? He knows the players, he must have seen stuff that made him think "if I were in charge...." And he sounds infinitely more educated than Curlio in what he has planned.

I'm for giving him a go.
Report Spam   Logged
JeanGenie

View Profile
Search Level 5 Linux User
« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2021, 22:58:39 pm »

We are now stuck with the squad we have, barring any miracle free agents missed by the rest of the world.

Brady has as good, if not better chance of ogetting them to start firing than any journeyman manager we're likely to be able to get in. Let's get real, unless we prise someone who is currently hot away from the job they're in, like we kind of did with Wilder (and tbh I think that was our one moonshot, we won't ever get another) we will end up with another Curlio. Someone out of work because they were fired for failing somewhere else.

So why not give Brady til the end of the season? On all known form so far this season we're certs for the drop, so how bad can it get? He knows the players, he must have seen stuff that made him think "if I were in charge...." And he sounds infinitely more educated than Curlio in what he has planned.

I'm for giving him a go.

Well said, BIG +1...  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 18, 2021, 07:00:59 am »

That'll be embarrassing then if he doesn't get it...
😂
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: