The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 14:02:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Thank You Mr Curle

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank You Mr Curle  (Read 2172 times)
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« on: February 10, 2021, 17:17:39 pm »

For one of the greatest days of my 50 years watching the Cobblers.

29th June 2020: my 91 year old father, who had been watching and following the Cobblers since he was 8 years old, died at 4am in the morning. Later that same day our beloved team played their hearts out and put in the best display for at least a decade to send us up. It was like they did it for my dad.

For that performance Mr Curle I will be forever grateful to you and, if there is something after this thing we call life, my old dad would be sending his thanks too.

Good luck to you whatever you do next. Best wishes to you and your family.
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 17:25:02 pm »

Decent post Jim

Good bye Keith and thanks for the surprise promotion. Not surprised at the decision by KT which after last night almost appeared a given. I wish KC the best of luck with his next Club and good health.I believe he always worked for the good of the Club and to me it is a shame his tenure had to end during a dismal run. I hope the next Manager has an easier time with supporters; otherwise I fear another unhappy end.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
andycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 18:11:17 pm »

Agree with the sentiment. Thanks for the promotion but the football, especially since Xmas has been atrocious.
Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
guest3063

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 18:15:39 pm »

I would like to thank Keith Curle for the incredible 2nd leg of the play-offs followed by the magnificent Wembley triumph over Exeter City.

Unfortunately, it didn't work out in league one the way we all hoped and the football is often boring and one-dimensional. I would like to wish him all the best for wherever he ends up next and hopefully he'll learn a few lessons going forward, but I doubt it - why do all managers turn out to be so stubborn when they can see it going wrong  Roll Eyes    
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 18:20:55 pm »

They were some fantastic games, and i'm very grateful we had them. By all accounts a great guy, so no ill thoughts here whatsover for him.
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 18:28:16 pm »

Wasn't expecting this news, but not completely surprised especially given our lack of goals. You can't stay up without them. Despite the football often being frustrating I have found KC to be one of our more likeable managers. He did well to get us up last year and surprised us more than once when we thought he had lost the plot this season. He has shown genuine affection for the club and clearly worked really hard. Not for the first time with a Cobblers manager I think I think he's made mistakes with recruitment on moving up a level. I wish him and his fundamentals all the best wherever they may go.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 18:33:17 pm »

A decent man and a decent manager.

Last season has to go down as a unqualified success: an against-the-odds promotion, a good cup run and the record sale of a centre back he developed personally.

Yes, he's made a pig ear of this season, but some of the vitriol he's got on here has been way OTT. We've had far, far worse.

The right decision has been made but I wish him well.
Report Spam   Logged
Bertie

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 18:46:33 pm »

Thanks for last season and its incredible ending, Keith. A real lift at a difficult time.

Shame for everyone that it hasn't worked out this season.

Best Wishes for the future.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 18:57:55 pm »

Keith, you got us going in the right direction again in your first season and gained us an unlikely promotion in your second. Those final 2 games will long live in the memory.
Unfortunately this season has turned into a struggle and the lack of goals has cost you. I have said on more than one occasion that I regard you as our best manager since Chris Wilder and you have not had the budget available in division 1 that previous managers had. Best of luck wherever the journey takes you next.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 20:12:59 pm »

Whatever people say about style, I could happily watch games like those two massively dominant play off games every week and they will live long in the memory. The promotion was a great achievement and I’m happy for KC that he know has it for all his time in management. Good luck in the future.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 22:00:21 pm »

It gives me no pleasure to see people lose their jobs but at the end of the day it's a results (and performance) business and when neither are good there's only ever going to be one outcome.

I think Curle seemed a nice bloke but he was too stubborn and not adept enough to adapt to the higher level and the change in personnel he had at his disposal.

I will however echo other people's comments about the play off games - they were outstanding and I will always remember leaping around the living room during the final; an amazing memory amidst a truly miserable few months.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 22:37:35 pm »

Football like life goes from one extreme to the other. The two fantastic play off games and also the FA cup win at Burton being at the top end to the Wigan abomination down in the u bend of the trough.

So, although it is time for him to leave I think overall I will remember him as one of the better mangers of recent years.
Thanks for some memories Keith.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlatan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 09:33:28 am »

Football like life goes from one extreme to the other. The two fantastic play off games and also the FA cup win at Burton being at the top end to the Wigan abomination down in the u bend of the trough.

So, although it is time for him to leave I think overall I will remember him as one of the better mangers of recent years.
Thanks for some memories Keith.
Very well put EB. After the terrible performance v Wigan it was obvious to most that his time was up. However I will always be grateful for him keeping us up after taking over from Austin & then getting us promoted. I spoke to him in Mayorhold car park just has he'd taken over, came across as a cracking bloke. Thanks Keith and best of luck on your next journey!
Report Spam   Logged
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 10:32:42 am »

Being as though no manager has ever established our club in any other division than the bottom one it was only fair that he got a crack at that. Like others have said, a good man. There's no argument that the time was right for a change, however. Good luck Keith.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
guest3429

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 11:27:44 am »

Really sorry for KC, after the play offs I hoped he'd found a groove and we might make an attack on the division but alas, as always we have our team dismantled before us before the champagne has gone flat.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 11:54:08 am »

Really sorry for KC, after the play offs I hoped he'd found a groove and we might make an attack on the division but alas, as always we have our team dismantled* before us before the champagne has gone flat.

I don't think KC dismantled** the team intentionally but the usual factors came into play. Goode was sold for big bucks; Wharton and Morton we did try to get them back,Turnbull turned down the offer and went to Salford. Oliver played bit of a double game and went to Gillingham. The latter two might have been avoided though. Not much we could do about the first three. Losing all those players for whatever reason signposted a difficult season for KC. I also think on hindsight that both KC and KT misjudged the Covid situation with player availability and the infamous 'good housekeeping' policy. Didn't help us at all!

* ** not saying you meant that at all.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 19:49:21 pm »

The right time to go, for sure.

That said..

KC and his team gave me the two best, full on days, of 2020. I will be forever grateful for that. Took us up, and kept us in the mix before handing over the reigns. Thats how I look at it...

Wilder aside, my favourite Cobblers manager. But even with Wilder, he was on the verge of being fired 18 months into the job. He turned things around, in the lower league, got momentum, the rest is history.

KC had a philosophy and I bought into it. After Tuesday, it became impossible to sell that philosophy. Time had run out. My 11 year old said, I think we should give him the Burton match. I explained my reasoning behind why he needed to leave, as soon as the Wigan match ended.

He did an amazing job overall, but I readily accept that he became detached to the football fan. COVID football, he played in a bubble. He became detached from what the average bod wants...namely entertainment. Tuesdays game, he fell on his sword.

If only he'd gone for it, Tuesday. But I suspect KC thought...and I can hear it now...'they've a young team, hoof it, beat em up, win your battles' without a thought to us poor sods watching it on our phones and ipads. His fall back to not scoring was to go long...and be safer, rather than sorry.

Hes a good man, is Keith. But he did need to go, after 'that'. It was the final straw. I wish him the very best of luck, as I do with Colin West.

As for now, we will no doubt 'attack' like we did under Kevin Wilson after Atkins was fired. Then we had a clearly good team, relative to the level. This time, Im not so sure. Time will tell on that.

Best of luck to Brady, Sammo and Rico. We've got some good guys taking us on our next journey. But as this thread is titled...Thank you Mr Curle.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 20:03:29 pm »

And again, cheerio.
Report Spam   Logged
Pablo69

View Profile
Level 5 Signature Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 20:19:47 pm »

And from me as well. A good man who gave 100% to the club. If we had managed to keep last years back 4 and Oliver i think we would be mid table. I think that Keith's zonal marking did not help though,I certainly dont like like it in the lower divisions.
Thank you Keith and good luck to you and Westie  in the future, i will remember you in a positive way who had our interests at heart and totally over achieved in getting us promoted last year.
All the best
Report Spam   Logged

"The voice of reason"
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 22:24:30 pm »

Keith Curle will probably be yet another manager who to the absolute confusion of many will go on to have success elsewhere? As stated previously following promotion he lost the entire spine of the team along with the back 3. 6 vital players in the successful side? Because of the IMO justified budgetary constraints placed upon him due to Covid, the only ones that were arguably avoidable was possibly Turnbull dependent on contractual considerations and McCormack? The latter who's injuries were a risk?

Perhaps the most unfortunate event of all was Crappletons appointment at Lincoln? Had that not have happened then I am convinced Morton would still have been with us, and that was possibly the defining moment of this season. Because of the budgetary constraints the replacements were clearly not of the required standard, so we end up with a squad considerably weaker than the one that got us promoted? In addition some of the players who were brought in as replacements suffered significant injuries?

Given the fact that we had won promotion and gone up a division how was any manager supposed to mount a challenge and be successful or even keep out of a relegation fight? I genuinely don’t think there is a manager out there that would have been able to move seamlessly from Div 2 to Div 1 and get us to hold our own in those circumstances? Finally we get to the transfer window and some of the issues are at last addressed.

Curle puts in place a different system utilising the new players and for half an hour we look great. Then the best of the new signings gets injured and we haven’t seen him since? For me Curle was always returning to the default position of getting the best that he could muster from the resources available and simply make us difficult to beat? That is why 5 at the back was his system of choice.

His over riding priority was to stop the opposition from scoring because he assumed that if we went toe to toe with many of the sides we would simply guarantee we would lose, and rightly so IMO?

That being said he unfortunately had a number of significant flaws. The constant tinkering and chopping and changing simply added confusion and instability in the side? When things are going well it makes you look competent and innovative. When things are going badly it makes you look confused and indecisive. Additionally some of the selections were clearly not playing to our strengths such as Hoskins at wing back. The whole philosophy was based on fear and that often eroded the confidence and ran through the squad surfacing regularly in performances.

But the biggest flaw of all was the inability to grasp that things weren’t working during matches and then come up with a different strategy. His use of substitutions was hands down the most baffling of any manager I have witnessed and when things are not going well this is a trait you simply can’t afford to have? The final 3 acts which probably did for him were as follows.

He dropped our best player McWilliams with bizarre reasons for doing so, which I believe was a direct consequence of the pressure he was under. Then he again sets up with 5 at the back to avoid defeat against the worst team in the division. When things are not going to plan he again makes bizarre substitutions and sticks to the plan that isn’t working?

Again these were ill conceived decisions derived from the pressure he was under. I think the most revealing indication of that pressure was his post match comments regarding the withdrawal of Bolger. A Keith Curle in control would never make the statements he did, he was a manager who spoke in measured cliches not emotion, demonstrating he was reaching a tipping point? So in summary Keith Curle was a decent manager who in the right circumstances is more than capable of producing great teams with good performances.

Bad managers would not orchestrate a season like we had last year, it’s that simple. I would be interested in hearing from his detractors how Keith pulled that off if he is as bad as suggested? Had events unfolded differently and we had kept most of last seasons squad, especially Goode, Turnbull and Morton I believe we could have held our own in this division and Curle would still be our manager?

We would currently have a significantly better standing as a result? However, in difficult circumstances he has limitations and is guilty of uninspired decision making? Unfortunately it’s when times are difficult that people show their full worth, and Keith unfortunately struggled in this respect on this occasion? So a good manager who does not warrant the comments made about him or the general assessments of his tenure.

He is simply not the right man for the circumstances we are in with his league 2 survival mentality applied in league 1? Therefore the decision to part company was probably the correct one, but I fully expect him to rise again and be successful elsewhere. Particularly if he learns from this experience, which I am sure he will.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 07:28:18 am by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: