The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 08:46:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

THOMAS YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THOMAS YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED  (Read 13468 times)
Coolcat

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2021, 14:25:57 pm »

It 's not uncommon to have a second team, many years ago I fervently supported Newcastle United  but at school I was known as that Oink from Northampton .......so it began. 

I see the OTT comments on KT are coming thick and fast. Yet he is the one that keeps the Club afloat and pays the bills and all this in an nasty pandemic. If he should cut his loses we wont have a club to speak off. Are you all mad or deranged or so full of your ego's you don't know your elbows from your backsides. You can at least take over the club buy the Club...............................oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  as you ain't got the money.

I'm well aware of Cobblers fans having "so called" second teams, even friends of mine, although they can never justify it if
we ever play each other, ie, who do you want to win etc?

Also, mainly for Singcobb. I was on about Northampton born and bred, not Yorkshire.

Also, mainly for Everbrite, why do you think Thomas is keeping us afloat, paying the bills etc, in a nasty pandemic? Could it be anything to do with hoping for a good deal from the land sale?

Just use the quote icon on the top right hand corner.
This provides you with the neat little box of the person you have quoted.
Make sure your comments or reply follow the bracketed
...then post!

Next week, someone else can bore you sh****ss with how to get I-Follow onto your tv!

When fans are allowed back, the fun will really start...we can offer advice to the clueless on where the best place to park for an awayday!

Wink
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2021, 14:44:41 pm »

We are where we are due to Curle's piss poor recruitment this summer (and in January).

That's it.

Curle's recruitment up until this summer had been very good on the whole (Goode, Morton, Oliver, Wharton, McCormack etc). It was good enough to get us promotion and to net a £1 million + profit.

As a chairman, there is no way KT could have legislated for a manager turning from a veritable King Midas in the transfer market to a complete no-hoper in the space of two windows.

Yes, there is an argument that he should have got shot before January but hindsight is a wonderful thing and there were some signs of a rally in December (the 3-1 win against Gillingham on 29th Dec being the highlight).

Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2021, 15:26:02 pm »

Just use the quote icon on the top right hand corner.
This provides you with the neat little box of the person you have quoted.
Make sure your comments or reply follow the bracketed
...then post!

Next week, someone else can bore you sh****ss with how to get I-Follow onto your tv!

When fans are allowed back, the fun will really start...we can offer advice to the clueless on where the best place to park for an awayday!

Wink

Cheers Coolcat, although I accidently figured it out earlier!!
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2021, 15:27:33 pm »

We are where we are due to Curle's **** poor recruitment this summer (and in January).

That's it.

Curle's recruitment up until this summer had been very good on the whole (Goode, Morton, Oliver, Wharton, McCormack etc). It was good enough to get us promotion and to net a £1 million + profit.

As a chairman, there is no way KT could have legislated for a manager turning from a veritable King Midas in the transfer market to a complete no-hoper in the space of two windows.

Yes, there is an argument that he should have got shot before January but hindsight is a wonderful thing and there were some signs of a rally in December (the 3-1 win against Gillingham on 29th Dec being the highlight).

Spot on. Be careful with that logic though. The Vultures are circling very low at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2021, 15:33:17 pm »

Some good points made re lack of engagement from/with the Trust, I guess that's one of the reasons why I thought i'd get more involved. They know they have to get more people involved, or at least make people more aware of their existence!
Reference Life Members, I believe over 500 of that 700 odd are life members, there's very little take up on the yearly/five yearly option, new member numbers in last year were in the 'teens.

As has been said, perhaps there may be a new perspective, again if I can do anything to influence/change that then its all good. I'll certainly report back on here about any (non sensitive) snippets!!

This week (as already said) there is a Zoom meeting between Trust board and Club board, also on Wednesday there is an NTFC Group call to discuss "season ticket policy"......that particular subject was raised by one poster above, and if there has been no movement on the managerial front by Thursday then i'm sure it can be a topic of conversation on that call!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest3338

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2021, 16:43:10 pm »

Some good points made re lack of engagement from/with the Trust, I guess that's one of the reasons why I thought i'd get more involved. They know they have to get more people involved, or at least make people more aware of their existence!
Reference Life Members, I believe over 500 of that 700 odd are life members, there's very little take up on the yearly/five yearly option, new member numbers in last year were in the 'teens.

As has been said, perhaps there may be a new perspective, again if I can do anything to influence/change that then its all good. I'll certainly report back on here about any (non sensitive) snippets!!

This week (as already said) there is a Zoom meeting between Trust board and Club board, also on Wednesday there is an NTFC Group call to discuss "season ticket policy"......that particular subject was raised by one poster above, and if there has been no movement on the managerial front by Thursday then i'm sure it can be a topic of conversation on that call!  Wink
Well done GPC.
You're the greatest  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2021, 18:45:30 pm »

We are where we are due to Curle's **** poor recruitment this summer (and in January).

That's it.

I don't think it's to do with Curle's lack of competence. After all it's the same person that recruited player that got us promoted.
The problem was, and is, the offering the club could give a player in League 1. We were considered decent League 2 outfit with the chance of promotion. We then became a League 1 club and one of the favourites for relegation. If you were a decent league 1 player why take your chances with us?
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2021, 19:39:07 pm »

Spending over a million a season of your own money on a league 1/2 club is a fairly significant commitment by anyone’s measure? KTs recruitment process regarding managers has been poor but I’ve not seen any enlightened thinking elsewhere either? Some of the”away with the fairies” brigade have jumped on here with frankly once again incredible expectations around the East Stand and the like, but sorting that out is going to take a gift of millions. There is no business plan or strategy that is going to give any sort of ROI? Therefore the only step up from KT is an incredibly wealthy benefactor willing to open up their wallet and fulfil everyone’s dreams? Once that happens to a club you can rest assured they will live happily ever after! Unless you are Wigan, Blackburn, Rushden etc etc etc? Understand, blowing millions on stands, managers and players without structuring the finances properly comes at significant risk, and the chances of not having a club at all increase dramatically once you embark on that plan? So KT could have done better, but as chairman go we could have got a lot lot worse?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
guest3338

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2021, 20:03:03 pm »

Spending over a million a season of your own money on a league 1/2 club is a fairly significant commitment by anyone’s measure? KTs recruitment process regarding managers has been poor but I’ve not seen any enlightened thinking elsewhere either? Some of the”away with the fairies” brigade have jumped on here with frankly once again incredible expectations around the East Stand and the like, but sorting that out is going to take a gift of millions. There is no business plan or strategy that is going to give any sort of ROI? Therefore the only step up from KT is an incredibly wealthy benefactor willing to open up their wallet and fulfil everyone’s dreams? Once that happens to a club you can rest assured they will live happily ever after! Unless you are Wigan, Blackburn, Rushden etc etc etc? Understand, blowing millions on stands, managers and players without structuring the finances properly comes at significant risk, and the chances of not having a club at all increase dramatically once you embark on that plan? So KT could have done better, but as chairman go we could have got a lot lot worse?
Those three clubs you use as examples. If I was a longstanding fan of any of those 3 clubs (there must be some Irthingborough fans of the pre Griggs era left) I think I would take the current position of all of them in order to achieve what they have. A premiership, an FA Cup and temporary league status, from a once great Lancashire club but now more realistically a Champoinship club, a non league/lower league club turned Fa cup winner returning to its level and a pub team with no expectations with a few seasons in the professional ranks.
Give me a few seasons in the championship and the briefest flirt with a prem playoff place or a cup semi final, before a bit of financial instability and a return to our natural league two home, and I think I'd take that?
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2021, 20:29:29 pm »

What we need Melly is a chairman to rock up with a £4m war chest for the east stand .......
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2021, 20:34:54 pm »

What we need Melly is a chairman to rock up with a £4m war chest for the east stand .......
probably more Manny tbf, not sure there is one, although some have suggested there is?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2021, 20:45:22 pm »

I simply disagreed that there is any such thing as “happy clappers” or those that solely see KT as the “saviour of the club”. By committing the heinous crime of asking you and SadOldGit to substantiate your remarks, I ended up on the receiving end of some negative comments. Personally I think it is right to challenge some people to prove their ascertains, particularly, as like you, they turn it personal straight away, as they struggle to find anything to justify their perpetual droning on the same subject.

People like you and SadOlGit are in the business of politicising and dominating conversations for your own ends. There are a lot of people who may share the same sentiment in the mainstream, but refuse to make it their sole purpose. They are like me, supporters of the team, but not necessarily enamoured by the whole background to football and club ownership.

I would suggest that there are plenty of "happy clappers", you see them when we've just been thrashed 4- 0 at home and produced a totally abject performance and they stand there blindly clapping them off the pitch. As for people solely seeing KT as the "saviour of the club" I'd suggest there are plenty of them too, although to be fair he actually did save us at the time but his intentions probably weren't as honourable as he made out and some people still see him as "He who can do no wrong", while
some are straight on his case the minute anyone mentions anything they consider negative about him. Don't get me wrong, if he made a killing off the land, but also did the things he said he would do, ie developed the East Stand to an acceptable standard, then I would have no problem with him, but it's now looking less likely he'll get anything like the deal he was hoping for and with the debt that has built up over the last 5 or 6 years, where does that leave us as a club if he decides to pull the plug?
 Finally, as for perpetual droning on about the same subject and politicising and dominating conversations, I've only been posting on here for a couple of weeks and specifically on this subject for a couple of days and 5 or 6 posts so how you can throw those accusations at me would suggest to me that you're deluded. This is my final discourse with you on this subject and I won't be rising to any more of your digs, otherwise it will go on far longer than either of us would consider healthy.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2021, 20:51:52 pm »

I would suggest that there are plenty of "happy clappers", you see them when we've just been thrashed 4- 0 at home and produced a totally abject performance and they stand there blindly clapping them off the pitch. As for people solely seeing KT as the "saviour of the club" I'd suggest there are plenty of them too, although to be fair he actually did save us at the time but his intentions probably weren't as honourable as he made out and some people still see him as "He who can do no wrong", while
some are straight on his case the minute anyone mentions anything they consider negative about him. Don't get me wrong, if he made a killing off the land, but also did the things he said he would do, ie developed the East Stand to an acceptable standard, then I would have no problem with him, but it's now looking less likely he'll get anything like the deal he was hoping for and with the debt that has built up over the last 5 or 6 years, where does that leave us as a club if he decides to pull the plug?
 Finally, as for perpetual droning on about the same subject and politicising and dominating conversations, I've only been posting on here for a couple of weeks and specifically on this subject for a couple of days and 5 or 6 posts so how you can throw those accusations at me would suggest to me that you're deluded. This is my final discourse with you on this subject and I won't be rising to any more of your digs, otherwise it will go on far longer than either of us would consider healthy.

If "happy clappers" are the ones who constantly trot out the "we should be grateful we still have a club to support, if it wasn't for him we'd be playing on the Racecourse" analogies then yes we have plenty of them!!

I've got to be honest, i'd expect a bit more than a completed East Stand. What happened to the Conference Centre? What happened to the hotel? Would a completed East Stand give us that 24/7 income stream that we were looking forward to?

The development land is the last chance.....if all we get is 16 boxes, a couple more rooms and no more seats in the stand then what? What does the future hold? The land deal was supposed to provide so much more.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2021, 21:33:25 pm »

What for? Who is going to sit in it?
I'd rather see 4million spent on the team and the stand finished when it was required.
Report Spam   Logged
Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
Linux User Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2021, 21:40:32 pm »

Cheers for some clarity GPC, let's hope for a productive week on & off the field!
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2021, 07:04:26 am »

What for? Who is going to sit in it?
I'd rather see 4million spent on the team and the stand finished when it was required.
Now who rocked up 6 years ago saying this Huh?
Since then we have amassed a debt of £9m in 6 years to end up back where we started !
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2021, 07:44:53 am »

Now who rocked up 6 years ago saying this Huh?
Since then we have amassed a debt of £9m in 6 years to end up back where we started !

To be honest, £1.5m a year isn't that bad when propping up a lower league football club?
Especially taking into consideration the overspend when they thought the Chinese money was incoming                                              ?
I know that it was a schoolboy error but it happened!   
He must believe that, once the land deal is completed, he'll make a profit or he/they wouldn't continue to do it?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2021, 08:44:51 am »

In my opinion, Thomas is as genuine as the Cobblers tat they sell on the hill on cup days . I was there at his opening episode with his whiteboard and pictures, "im a football man " he declared "ive got 4 million ringfenced" he said. for all those in the 'wed be at the racecourse' camp, there was another consortium at the time, but Thomas won the bidding , probably with the same bulls***.So the thought that he saved us and we would be out of business is entirely wrong We are reckoned to be 8-9 million in debt, the same as Cardoza put on us. How the fcuk are we ever going to move forwrd with this bloke in charge.
Hes an Arthur Daley type salesman , silver tounge, no substance, hes managed to aquire all that land, how much has it cost him to con that off the receivers.?
Im almost done with the Cobblers till hes gone, i stuck with , backed and campaigned for the last conman ,' i wont get fooled again '
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2021, 09:58:37 am »

Those three clubs you use as examples. If I was a longstanding fan of any of those 3 clubs (there must be some Irthingborough fans of the pre Griggs era left) I think I would take the current position of all of them in order to achieve what they have. A premiership, an FA Cup and temporary league status, from a once great Lancashire club but now more realistically a Champoinship club, a non league/lower league club turned Fa cup winner returning to its level and a pub team with no expectations with a few seasons in the professional ranks.
Give me a few seasons in the championship and the briefest flirt with a prem playoff place or a cup semi final, before a bit of financial instability and a return to our natural league two home, and I think I'd take that?
I get what you’re saying CJ, it’s better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all scenario, it’s a valid point? On the flip side, hypothetically imagine if during the 60s when we were in div 1 the support base pushed an agenda that got us a new ground at considerable cost? Now following the free fall back down the leagues the club ended up with a white elephant ground and crippling debt that bankrupted the club? My lifetime experience of following the club wouldn’t have happened and all of the current generation would have been denied the opportunity to follow a league club? Do you drive the club forward to maximise it’s potential and accept the associated risk or do you ensure that every decision is sustainable guaranteeing the future of the club? My preference is for the latter. However here’s the rub, I genuinely think there is no right or wrong answer, it is all subjective, with one exception. Whatever the decision the only wrong answer is “I didn’t expect that?” If you drive an agenda do it with your eyes open and accept the consequences because both options come with a risk. Safety and an increased likelihood of apathy, a shot for glory and an increased likelihood for destruction, take your pick?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 10:32:34 am by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

guest49

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2021, 10:08:19 am »

In my opinion, Thomas is as genuine as the Cobblers tat they sell on the hill on cup days . I was there at his opening episode with his whiteboard and pictures, "im a football man " he declared "ive got 4 million ringfenced" he said. for all those in the 'wed be at the racecourse' camp, there was another consortium at the time, but Thomas won the bidding , probably with the same bulls***.So the thought that he saved us and we would be out of business is entirely wrong We are reckoned to be 8-9 million in debt, the same as Cardoza put on us. How the fcuk are we ever going to move forwrd with this bloke in charge.
Hes an Arthur Daley type salesman , silver tounge, no substance, hes managed to aquire all that land, how much has it cost him to con that off the receivers.?
Im almost done with the Cobblers till hes gone, i stuck with , backed and campaigned for the last conman ,' i wont get fooled again '

There are increasing similarities between the two....'misplacing' millions of pounds off the council aside. DC was never shy in funding on the field activities, in fact it was difficult to criticise him regarding that.
Neither have delivered any redevelopment off the pitch or anything like sustained success on it. Maybe KT over promised and under delivered early on, probably the one thing he said he wouldn't do.
The role of a Cobblers chairman has been a poisoned chalice since the year dot. We'd have to be lucky to find anyone who was in it for the love of the Cobblers, or even football. It's not really the industry you go into to make your fortunes, especially at our level. Maybe it is time to try something totally different, bottom up and fan driven. I'm not sure we have the fan base to do that and we always seem surrounded by apathy. Remember the 'We Want Answers' campaign and it's seriously mooted response, when it couldn't have been any more obvious that things were rotten at the very top.

Until the land deal plays out I can't see too much changing and the positive is that the bills are getting paid. The one thing for sure is that we won't get the 'debt' paid by the council this time!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: