The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:50:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Jon Brady

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jon Brady  (Read 42798 times)
guest49

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2021, 19:08:37 pm »

Bit harsh WSOAP - it at least kept us out of the bottom at until Tuesday. If there is any criticism he keeps Playing Edmondson without Marshall for a bit of quality?  Also the subs could come on sooner. I suspect that the draw whilst not ideal was a better for us than Rovers?
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2021, 19:10:19 pm »

The draw was worse for us, we were at home and if we hoped to stay up these were the games we should have been winning.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2021, 20:28:26 pm »

You could name numerous games where we failed to pick up enough points. But the game against Wimbledon where we didn't turn up, gave away a sloppy goal and then missed a penalty with the last kick of the game has in my opinion proved crucial to the mess we find ourselves in now.
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2021, 00:13:25 am »

Unfortunately Brady hasn't done anything to help matters at all, far too negative,  sets the side out not to lose when winning is far more important.  Talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2021, 08:47:44 am »

Unfortunately Brady hasn't done anything to help matters at all, far too negative,  sets the side out not to lose when winning is far more important.  Talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.

Sounds like a reincarnation of KC  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2021, 09:37:14 am »

I tend to agree. I like the guy but all his talk is about really going for games when in reality, particularly away, we just try not to lose. MK away changed his outlook sadly.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2021, 10:35:21 am »

I tend to agree. I like the guy but all his talk is about really going for games when in reality, particularly away, we just try not to lose. MK away changed his outlook sadly.

It’s easy to talk and say ‘we’re going to always have a go’ until the pressure comes. When Brady took charge as caretaker there wasn’t really anything to lose as such. He got a pass from a large section of the fan base on the basis that ‘it couldn’t really get any worse than Curle’. Once the expectations start to rise, the pressure quickly follows and all of a sudden that bravery often goes out of the window. The novelty of playing a certain way also wears off quite quickly if results don’t follow.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2021, 10:42:48 am »

The draw was worse for us, we were at home and if we hoped to stay up these were the games we should have been winning.

Am talking about the here and now! Not if
Consider this; we are one point behind Wigan whilst BR are now 3pts and all have played 41games! BR may need two games to catch Wigan? All I said that we were in my opinion slightly better off than BR after Sat game. Of course it would be better with a win Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2021, 11:38:22 am »

TBF Curle had completely lost the plot and had to go, what followed was a debacle, Thomas waited until we won a game, 5th  attempt I think before announcing Brady as manager till the end of the season.
If you look at THIS seasons stats KC has a win ratio of 23% while Brady’s is 26%.
Furthermore if we take those win % for the season adding in the draws Keith would have amassed 43pts while Brady would have 49pts.
Unfortunately this is the theoretical totals and doesn’t take into account the truly awful squad we had prior to Sheehan, Jones and Kioso coming on board.
All in all is a 26% win ratio enough, are we satisfied with the style of play etc?
There’s isn’t a shadow of doubt we will be in L2 next season and I fully expect Thomas to cut the wage bill accordingly so don’t expect a sudden jump in form because we go down.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2021, 11:46:19 am »

Wigan have 3 winnable home games against Crewe, Burton and Swindon, if they win 2 of those we need 8 points to finish above them.
Wimbledon after only winning 1 game in 10 (against us) have now won 2 and scored 8 in the process. They have 4 home games including Swindon Rochdale and Oxford and visit Ipswich who they beat 3-0 last night.If they only get 5-6 points we would need another 8-9.
Barring these 2 having a sudden collapse and us going on a run (unlikely) we are down.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2021, 11:51:23 am »

Wigan have 3 winnable home games against Crewe, Burton and Swindon, if they win 2 of those we need 8 points to finish above them.
Wimbledon after only winning 1 game in 10 (against us) have now won 2 and scored 8 in the process. They have 4 home games including Swindon Rochdale and Oxford and visit Ipswich who they beat 3-0 last night.If they only get 5-6 points we would need another 8-9.
Barring these 2 having a sudden collapse and us going on a run (unlikely) we are down.
Agreed, again a unmitigated disaster from our stay away chairman.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2021, 13:33:13 pm »

Some very harsh posts here.

I myself called Brady 'risk averse' on another thread.

However, the revelations about Marshall's hamstring problems cast his recent tactical caution in a different light.
Curle left Brady with ridiculously limited options in terms of creativity and assists; the few remaining options (Sowerby, Miller and Marshall) are now injured.

The one area where I would like to see him taking more of a risk is by selecting Jones (and possibly Chucks) up front, but as I've said before: changing the strikers in this team is to some extent like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic - largely pointless unless the fundamental problem of creating chances is addressed. The caveat I'd throw in is that of all the strikers we have, Jones and Chuks look to be the most capable of creating chances for themselves through their movement, something which we might have to turn to if Marshall's injury persists. I think Brady has largely selected Rose/Edmondson for their superior pressing ability and workrate in comparison to Jones/Chucks - this was probably the correct strategy in games such as Shrewsbury at home but he needs to start gambling a bit more now.

Overall, I would say that Brady has played his ridiculously limited deck of cards just about as well as he possibly could so far. For me questions about his style of play and win ratio are all largely moot at this point because he hasn't been operating with anything resembling a proper League One squad (thanks to the piss poor recruitment of his predecessor). On the plus side, I would argue that he has:

1. Got the players working hard and fighting.
2. Transformed the defence from a basket case into a decent League-One-quality unit. In fact, the core unit of Horsfall and Jones with McWilliams screening them could provide the spine of a very decent side next year (providing that the latter signs a new contract).

I understand the pessimism on here, but if I were Brady I would be largely ignoring results elsewhere and focusing on what is under our control. We have 5 football matches with 15 points to play for. If we won three of these I would be pretty confident of avoiding the drop. Teams have pulled off greater escapes than that in the past and it is still achievable. As I keep saying, no one gave us a prayer of going up last year after the Cheltenham home leg debacle. KC showed last year that if you get it right psychologically and tactically then you can upset the odds.

At the very least, what I want to see is some fight.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 13:51:44 pm by bungle » Report Spam   Logged
Charlatan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2021, 14:01:11 pm »

Some very harsh posts here.

I myself called Brady 'risk averse' on another thread.

However, the revelations about Marshall's hamstring problems cast his recent tactical caution in a different light.
Curle left Brady with ridiculously limited options in terms of creativity and assists; the few remaining options (Sowerby, Miller and Marshall) are now injured.

The one area where I would like to see him taking more of a risk is by selecting Jones (and possibly Chucks) up front, but as I've said before: changing the strikers in this team is to some extent like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic - largely pointless unless the fundamental problem of creating chances is addressed. The caveat I'd throw in is that of all the strikers we have, Jones and Chuks look to be the most capable of creating chances for themselves through their movement, something which we might have to turn to if Marshall's injury persists. I think Brady has largely selected Rose/Edmondson for their superior pressing ability and workrate in comparison to Jones/Chucks - this was probably the correct strategy in games such as Shrewsbury at home but he needs to start gambling a bit more now.

Overall, I would say that Brady has played his ridiculously limited deck of cards just about as well as he possibly could so far. For me questions about his style of play and win ratio are all largely moot at this point because he hasn't been operating with anything resembling a proper League One squad (thanks to the **** poor recruitment of his predecessor). On the plus side, I would argue that he has:

1. Got the players working hard and fighting.
2. Transformed the defence from a basket case into a decent League-One-quality unit. In fact, the core unit of Horsfall and Jones with McWilliams screening them could provide the spine of a very decent side next year (providing that the latter signs a new contract).

I understand the pessimism on here, but if I were Brady I would be largely ignoring results elsewhere and focusing on what is under our control. We have 5 football matches with 15 points to play for. If we won three of these I would be pretty confident of avoiding the drop. Teams have pulled off greater escapes than that in the past and it is still achievable. As I keep saying, no one gave us a prayer of going up last year after the Cheltenham home leg debacle. KC showed last year that if you get it right psychologically and tactically then you can upset the odds.

At the very least, what I want to see is some fight.

Cracking post Bungle, especially the last paragraph mate.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2021, 16:53:08 pm »

Cracking post Bungle, especially the last paragraph mate.

Yes, very good post. We've still got no chance of staying up though. Who's to blame? Is it Curle, for getting in a load of dross.
Was Edmonson really one of his main targets in the transfer window, or was that just spin, hoping he'd come good because the budget was so s***e. Was the budget s***e though? Who knows, none of us that's for sure. If it was, then KT has to take the brunt of the blame considering we got £1000000 plus for Goode and it seems next to none of it was spent on transfer fees.
But, hey ho. At least most people are happy we've still got a team to support and as long as we can finish 22nd or higher next season we'll be ok in our s***ty little ground with no ambition and no chance of anything exciting happening any time soon.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2021, 18:10:01 pm »

Yes, very good post. We've still got no chance of staying up though. Who's to blame? Is it Curle, for getting in a load of dross.
Was Edmonson really one of his main targets in the transfer window, or was that just spin, hoping he'd come good because the budget was so s***e. Was the budget s***e though? Who knows, none of us that's for sure. If it was, then KT has to take the brunt of the blame considering we got £1000000 plus for Goode and it seems next to none of it was spent on transfer fees.
But, hey ho. At least most people are happy we've still got a team to support and as long as we can finish 22nd or higher next season we'll be ok in our s***ty little ground with no ambition and no chance of anything exciting happening any time soon.

Who decides what a "s***e" budget is?

What would people say was an acceptable budget for this season?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest3063

« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2021, 18:17:14 pm »

Good questions GPC, got any answers?? 
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2021, 18:23:46 pm »

I don't have any clue what an acceptable budget would be or whether ours was s***e or not  and I know we're in the middle of a pandemic, but most of the rest of league 1 seem to have done enough to maintain their status. We couldn't even match Gillinghams financial clout to hang on to a striker who's had a very good season, although, admittedly I wasn't too fussed if he stayed and if he had probably wouldn't have been as successful as he has been.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2021, 18:30:46 pm »

I don't have any clue what an acceptable budget would be or whether ours was s***e or not  and I know we're in the middle of a pandemic, but most of the rest of league 1 seem to have done enough to maintain their status. We couldn't even match Gillinghams financial clout to hang on to a striker who's had a very good season, although, admittedly I wasn't too fussed if he stayed and if he had probably wouldn't have been as successful as he has been.

What I was getting at is that even if there was a figure.....and there is...... who decides whether its "s***e" or not? How do we know how it compares to the rest of the League? What are we judging it against?

We don't know how much Gillingham offered compared to how much we did, we don't know if they offered more and that has put them into more debt than it would have done had he not joined.....

Figures mean little when taken out of context and in isolation.

If I gave you a figure, you'd decide whether it was s***e or not....and the next person might not be in agreement with your assessment.....and so on!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2021, 18:37:42 pm »

What I was getting at is that even if there was a figure.....and there is...... who decides whether its "s***e" or not? How do we know how it compares to the rest of the League? What are we judging it against?

We don't know how much Gillingham offered compared to how much we did, we don't know if they offered more and that has put them into more debt than it would have done had he not joined.....

Figures mean little when taken out of context and in isolation.

If I gave you a figure, you'd decide whether it was s***e or not....and the next person might not be in agreement with your assessment.....and so on!

I totally get you, but if you had all the figures of all the teams, would ours come closer to the highest figure or lowest/s***tiest
figure. It doesn't really matter what the figure is, it's whether it's comparable to our s***tiest rivals and whether it was spent wisely.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2021, 18:53:14 pm »

I would take some convincing that Curle had a mid table league one budget but decided to assemble a mid table league two side, what was he doing with the surplus?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: