The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 12:21:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Jon Brady

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jon Brady  (Read 42763 times)
Manwork04

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2021, 12:58:59 pm »

The formula is simple. We need a squad of good players and a good manager and a good coach. It doesn't matter what it costs.
Yes, I like your well though out holistic approach, nothing can stop us now.

Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest3063

« Reply #201 on: April 15, 2021, 13:55:07 pm »

recruitment has been a major issue .
It has been appalling .
If the head of recruitment is still here next season i will be amazed .
None of the forwards recruited would get into a conference side and the non league players are exactly that.
Get the recruitment right and it all looks different .

You make it sound so easy. I can't remember anyone complaining about our recruitment last season, in fact people were saying what a difference Simon Tracey was making compared with Melville.

The big difference now is we've moved up a division and instead of being a biggish team in league 2 we're now a smallish team in league 1. Hence, making recruitment that much harder. KC stated this on numerous occasions that we'd missed out on our main target.

We always have this problem when we move up a league and I don't know what the answer is. Even when we do splash the cash (under JFH) it didn't do us any good.
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #202 on: April 15, 2021, 16:07:59 pm »

You make it sound so easy. I can't remember anyone complaining about our recruitment last season, in fact people were saying what a difference Simon Tracey was making compared with Melville.

The big difference now is we've moved up a division and instead of being a biggish team in league 2 we're now a smallish team in league 1. Hence, making recruitment that much harder. KC stated this on numerous occasions that we'd missed out on our main target.

We always have this problem when we move up a league and I don't know what the answer is. Even when we do splash the cash (under JFH) it didn't do us any good.

Our player budget seems to have generally been ok for League 2 but not enough to sustain a position in League 1. Calderwood and Wilder knew this and jumped ship as soon as we were promoted. Curle didn't get the opportunity to move on, so was stuck with the us and the same budget the new League One managers had in the past, with similar consequences.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #203 on: April 15, 2021, 16:25:52 pm »

Our player budget seems to have generally been ok for League 2 but not enough to sustain a position in League 1. Calderwood and Wilder knew this and jumped ship as soon as we were promoted. Curle didn't get the opportunity to move on, so was stuck with the us and the same budget the new League One managers had in the past, with similar consequences.

Don’t agree with this at all. Calderwood & Wilder were headhunted by much bigger clubs (Forrest & Shef U) who would have offered more in wages and more resources. Is our budget in the bottom 4 in the division? Highly unlikely, is our budget less than mid table Accrington? massively unlikely. If our manager finished the season in the same position our budget is compared to other teams, we would stay up, they don’t even need to overachieve.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #204 on: April 15, 2021, 17:03:09 pm »

Don’t agree with this at all. Calderwood & Wilder were headhunted by much bigger clubs (Forrest & Shef U) who would have offered more in wages and more resources. Is our budget in the bottom 4 in the division? Highly unlikely, is our budget less than mid table Accrington? massively unlikely. If our manager finished the season in the same position our budget is compared to other teams, we would stay up, they don’t even need to overachieve.

Why is it highly unlikely that we have a bottom 4 budget? What are you privy to that makes you so certain of this?
If turnover has anything to do with budget then Accrington would appear to be over performing, but that has little to do with our own league position relative to our budget.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #205 on: April 15, 2021, 17:56:31 pm »

Why is it highly unlikely that we have a bottom 4 budget? What are you privy to that makes you so certain of this?
If turnover has anything to do with budget then Accrington would appear to be over performing, but that has little to do with our own league position relative to our budget.

I just think it’s more likely that Accrington, Rochdale, Wimbledon and Crewe have a smaller budget than us as opposed to the other view that any manager was doomed to failure and had no way to complete with these four mighty titans.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #206 on: April 15, 2021, 18:02:07 pm »

1. We paid transfer fees for Rose, Sowerby and Ashley-Seal at a time when a good number of League One and League Two clubs spent zilch due to pandemic belt-tightening. I would suspect that Mills is on a decent wage given that he was Forest Green's captain and top scorer.

That sounds like a pretty competitive budget to me. I'd be surprised if the likes of Accrington, Gillingham, Crewe and AFC Wimbledon or Wycombe (last year's play-off winners) had spent more.

2. TeachersPet is right: recruitment isn't an exact science and even geniuses like Sir Alex have the odd Djemba-Djemba moment.

However, a hall-mark of a decent manager is that the diamonds outweigh the duds. Curle has signed five strikers this season: Rose, Ashley-Seal, Edmondson, Miller, Nuttall. Only one of them (Rose) has scored a legitimate goal! A look at their respective track records suggests that this shouldn't have come as a glaring surprise.

If he had saved his money, offered Oliver a two-year contract with a pay rise and signed a proper winger/creative midfielder instead of messers Seal, Edmondson and Nuttall then we might be having a very different conversation right now.

(For the record, I don't believe Vadaine would have scored 16 goals for us, but I do believe he would have scored 8-10 and assisted more with his hold-up play.)

Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 15, 2021, 18:07:56 pm »

I would be amazed that pre Jan we didn’t have a bottom four budget, post Jan it’s probably in the bottom six.
Looking at the squad the likes of Racic, Korboa, Harriman, BAS,Warburton will be on peanuts compared to the top two thirds of L1.
The majority of the loans we have got in have been all injured, Nuttall, Miller, Sheehan, Jones it’s as bad as it gets.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 15, 2021, 18:09:44 pm »

1. We paid transfer fees for Rose, Sowerby and Ashley-Seal at a time when a good number of League One and League Two clubs spent zilch due to pandemic belt-tightening. I would suspect that Mills is on a decent wage given that he was Forest Green's captain and top scorer.

That sounds like a pretty competitive budget to me. I'd be surprised if the likes of Accrington, Gillingham, Crewe and AFC Wimbledon or Wycombe (last year's play-off winners) had spent more.

2. TeachersPet is right: recruitment isn't an exact science and even geniuses like Sir Alex have the odd Djemba-Djemba moment.

However, a hall-mark of a decent manager is that the diamonds outweigh the duds. Curle has signed five strikers this season: Rose, Ashley-Seal, Edmondson, Miller, Nuttall. Only one of them (Rose) has scored a legitimate goal! A look at their respective track records suggests that this shouldn't have come as a glaring surprise.

If he had saved his money, offered Oliver a two-year contract with a pay rise and signed a proper winger/creative midfielder instead of messers Seal, Edmondson and Nuttall then we might be having a very different conversation right now.

(For the record, I don't believe Vadaine would have scored 16 goals for us, but I do believe he would have scored 8-10 and assisted more with his hold-up play.)

Paying a fee for BAS is taking the p1ss.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest2995

« Reply #209 on: April 15, 2021, 21:29:06 pm »

teams like wimbledon , MK and Gillingham are paying their best players 3 or 4 times more than our best players .
Teams at the top are paying players 10 times the amount of ours or more .
We are bargain basement in this league and that is putting it kindly .

Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #210 on: April 15, 2021, 21:36:42 pm »

A couple of weeks ago Poohborough drew 1-1 with Sunderland. The goalscorers were Dembele and McGeady, two players on a completely different planet to our squad, says it all really.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #211 on: April 15, 2021, 22:12:46 pm »

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. I don’t remember too many people being that disappointed that Oliver had left back in the summer. I don’t think many (if any) on here can genuinely tell me that back in the summer they believed Oliver would score 10 league goals in League One after scoring 4 in 30 appearances in League Two. Many of the people who are now saying Curle should have given him what he wanted definitely weren’t saying that at the time.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #212 on: April 15, 2021, 22:49:32 pm »

Interesting site..... would be interesting to know how they get their figures though. They claim to be accurate and someone has put a lot of work into this.....

https://salarysport.com/football/

We (according to these figures) have a higher budget than Wimbledon, Accrington, Crewe, Rochdale and Gillingham.

Our quoted wage budget is just over £2.4m a year.......... however I know that figure is somewhat higher than the figure given out by the Cobblers Chief Exec.......our two top earners on this list though are Racic and Nuttall, neither of whom were our players but probably are earning what is suggested with their parent clubs...... take those two off and you're not far off at all from our true figure!  Wink
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 22:51:48 pm by GrangeParkCobbler » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest3338

« Reply #213 on: April 15, 2021, 23:13:49 pm »

Interesting site..... would be interesting to know how they get their figures though. They claim to be accurate and someone has put a lot of work into this.....

We (according to these figures) have a higher budget than Wimbledon, Accrington, Crewe, Rochdale and Gillingham.

Our quoted wage budget is just over £2.4m a year.......... however I know that figure is somewhat higher than the figure given out by the Cobblers Chief Exec.......our two top earners on this list though are Racic and Nuttall, neither of whom were our players but probably are earning what is suggested with their parent clubs...... take those two off and you're not far off at all from our true figure!  Wink
So if those quoted figures are correct and you remove Racic and Nuttall we have the fourth lowest budget.
But I dare say other clubs will have simialr anomalies?
Three Fleetwood players supposedly earning 15k+. Obscene.
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2021, 01:25:21 am »

Good post Bungle - that pretty much sums up our current predicament in front of goal.
But now with Miller and Jones being out - what’s the answer?
We don’t even have any set pieces up our sleeve!

Watson going on another goal mini spree?
Lots of dodgy pens?
Chuck finally clicking and coming out the traps like Hussain Bolt on Bisacodyl?

One thing I do know (I think!?) it ain’t gunna revolve around Rose, BAS and Edmundson!
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
guest2995

« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2021, 05:19:55 am »

i cannot speak about the overall budget but i can tell you that all of those clubs mentioned have individual players on at least double or treble the money of ours .
Loan players wages can be distorted because they are largely often mainly paid by the parent club .
i am afraid we simply do not compete at the table , made worst by the inadequate scouting of simon treacy.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2021, 07:56:43 am »

i cannot speak about the overall budget but i can tell you that all of those clubs mentioned have individual players on at least double or treble the money of ours .
Loan players wages can be distorted because they are largely often mainly paid by the parent club .
i am afraid we simply do not compete at the table , made worst by the inadequate scouting of simon treacy.

Absolutely, in a nutshell, we have the 4 lowest budget in L1 and will most likely finish just below that.
Therefore Brady is in a no win situation, not sure what Thomas expected?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2021, 09:27:29 am »

Absolutely, in a nutshell, we have the 4 lowest budget in L1 and will most likely finish just below that.
Therefore Brady is in a no win situation, not sure what Thomas expected?
I think that our Chairman thought that there would be teams going to the wall due to Covid and that would keep us in League 1
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2021, 11:36:14 am »

Interesting that Arnold is on £600 pw, Mitchell must be 3.1/2 times better because he is on £2100 pw.
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2021, 11:57:33 am »

Interesting that Arnold is on £600 pw, Mitchell must be 3.1/2 times better because he is on £2100 pw.
That's the one that made be think it might not be that accurate, I cant see Arnold coming her for £600, he was under contract at another League 1 club. If Derby are not paying £2000 of Mitchells wages we are being done ! 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: