The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 02:07:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Pompey

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pompey  (Read 8633 times)
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2021, 19:11:26 pm »

He's got to go.

Out of interest... how come you post the following each game no matter who its in reference to?

‘He’s the greatest’

‘He’s got to go’

Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2021, 19:20:21 pm »

Outstanding performance. Best first half I've seen since we battered Swansea a fair few years ago under Gray. Factoring in the opposition, obviously. It was better than that though, and I honestly cant think of a first half display like that against a big hitter during my time supporting the Cobblers.

Looking forward to Tuesday night when little old Northampton take on the ex prem big boys Charlton. Loved that comment in his interview.

One game at a time, folks. One game at a time. But we look a totally different team at the minute. Long may it continue!  Smiley

edit. Luton away under Wilder. Now that was the best 45 minutes I've seen us play...
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2021, 19:38:21 pm »

I don't think anyone was anti-Brady. Some including me didn't think it was improving enough, yes the football was better but not the results.

I'm more than happy to say that Jon Brady and his team are doing a fantastic job and the results are now turning in our favour. Long may it continue. Well done JB and NTFC in general.

Agree with this, plenty of fans sat on the fence on JB's appointment in which I certainly did. I found the first half very illuminating and good to watch display. All the defence played well to a man and did so again in the 2nd half. Mitchell was sound throughout the match even when one of ours tried to lob him Shocked  . It was incredulous to be 4-0 up after 25mins and the goal that Pompey did get was a bit of a soft penalty. Thought it was Hoskins goal(4th) but certainly Edmondson played enough to deserve one. Edmondson is improving and pretty sure goals will flow soon. Hoskins possibly MOM but Watson ran him close too close to make it clear cut for me. Good team selection by JB but listening to the Kettering Commentator he said we were playing too deep in the second half, lacked a leader or players brave enough to get on the ball to try to get a firm foothold in the game (again). Basically thought he was right  but we  eventually regained a bit more composure in the final 10 mins to  make the result a formality. Still think we need Watson in the pocket behind the front two. Would have liked too see Marshall brought on to have a go at their left back. Famous victory which makes a statement of intent to all our competitors. Love it!
Perhaps to all those who wrote off the squad can now think again as it is clearly better than some of our more erudite fans ever thought. Even now some criticise Edmondson with one punter suggesting he should sent back to Leeds.  After today it feels a sad opinion.

Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2021, 20:01:02 pm »

Outstanding performance. Best first half I've seen since we battered Swansea a fair few years ago under Gray. Factoring in the opposition, obviously. It was better than that though, and I honestly cant think of a first half display like that against a big hitter during my time supporting the Cobblers.

Looking forward to Tuesday night when little old Northampton take on the ex prem big boys Charlton. Loved that comment in his interview.

One game at a time, folks. One game at a time. But we look a totally different team at the minute. Long may it continue!  Smiley

edit. Luton away under Wilder. Now that was the best 45 minutes I've seen us play...

There are several displays worthy of comparison|:

Mid Sixties 5-1 away to Brighton with Kurila and Large running amok.
1965 v Bolton (H) 4-0
The 1-0 win at Wembley (Frain) special win against Swansea
The win's away against Bolton and Liverpool in the League Cup.
The win against Pboro with Sampsons winner.
The win against Stevenage with Holmes at his best.
The Wins away against Crystal Palace in the 1960's  not forgetting demolishing Millwall at the Den 64/65 season!
That's the thing about the Cobblers we generally come up with a famous victory to lighten up the gloom.

Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2021, 20:19:06 pm »

There are several displays worthy of comparison|:

Mid Sixties 5-1 away to Brighton with Kurila and Large running amok.
1965 v Bolton (H) 4-0
The 1-0 win at Wembley (Frain) special win against Swansea
The win's away against Bolton and Liverpool in the League Cup.
The win against Pboro with Sampsons winner.
The win against Stevenage with Holmes at his best.
The Wins away against Crystal Palace in the 1960's  not forgetting demolishing Millwall at the Den 64/65 season!
That's the thing about the Cobblers we generally come up with a famous victory to lighten up the gloom.

To be fair, Drilling's emphasis is on a first half performance...which given the opposition, or moreover, the position the Cobblers are in... certainly one of the best ever for me!

The Kettering guy (Graham?) has been brilliant on Radio Northampton/I-Follow in his last couple of appearances.
Would like to see Keith Curle as a third addition to the commentary team...forced to watch, but making no comments!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
guest3355

« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2021, 20:19:54 pm »

That first 45 minutes was tremendous today, really excellent. The 2nd 45 minutes was good but in a different way.

Really positive stuff, I wasn't sold on Brady but he sure has hell has shown me these last two games.

This is a wave we should try and ride, stay positive everyone!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3355

« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2021, 20:20:53 pm »

To be fair, Drilling's emphasis is on a first half performance...which given the opposition, or moreover, the position the Cobblers are in... certainly one of the best ever for me!

The Kettering guy (Graham?) has been brilliant on Radio Northampton/I-Follow in his last couple of appearances.
Would like to see Keith Curle as a third addition to the commentary team...forced to watch, but making no comments!  Wink

"So Keith, what do you think about that then matey boy"
"f*** off, Tim"
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #187 on: March 06, 2021, 20:36:55 pm »

Absolute credit to the lads today .
That is the mighty Portsmouth we have blown away and then managed out the game in the second half . Portsmouth .
Brilliant and so happy for everyone involved .
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2021, 20:43:16 pm »

"**** off, Tim"

Shocked     Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #189 on: March 06, 2021, 21:43:02 pm »

"**** off, Tim"
"They are getting the fundamentals and basics right. Now they need to score early, hold on to a 1-0 lead, and (scratches side of head)...keep a clean sheet"
Thanks Keith!  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #190 on: March 06, 2021, 22:04:31 pm »

Their interpretation of the players performance https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/portsmouth/match-ratings/add-votes/match:7950
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2021, 22:44:52 pm »

"**** off, Tim"

“and again , it’s all very well scoring but how many 2nd and third balls did we win . And again what’s the point of 60% possession when you can have 15% and leather the ball up field .
And again it’s about discipline , having the right character in the building and doing what i say - there’s no point in fluid attractive football if you are not keeping your shape .
And again i played sam hoskins every game so i will take credit for him playing better than ever “
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2021, 23:31:35 pm »

Perhaps to all those who wrote off the squad can now think again as it is clearly better than some of our more erudite fans ever thought. Even now some criticise Edmondson with one punter suggesting he should sent back to Leeds.  After today it feels a sad opinion.

I have been very critical about the ability of the squad. Horsfall has probably recently impressed me most looking like a real prospect now and chipping in with two goals and forming a good partnership with Jones. Sowerby who had previously been one of the biggest disappointments is now also working well with McWilliams and providing a good shield for the defence. I don’t think anyone would honestly admit to have predicted what Watson would have achieved under Brady but we need to be realistic that there is no way we can rely on him continuing to get the goals he has for the rest of the season. So that leaves the front 3, while I think there is a lot of merit to their all round play, there is still the issue of goals, Hoskins goal today was the first scored by an attacker in the last 11 games. Today we scored 3 set piece goals with the other being a goalkeeping error, while there is a lot of good signs from the last two games I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility to go 3 or 4 without a goal. Hopefully the confidence from the last couple of performances will help the attackers get the goals that they need to be providing. As regards Edmondson he has improved massively over the last couple of games and I believe has the potential to be a very good player in the future. While other players are scoring there isn’t a problem but if that doesn’t happen then a striker without a goal in 11 games becomes a liability in a relegation battle. Hopefully though he will start getting the goals that his play deserves. The biggest credit must surely go to Brady and hopefully long may it continue.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2021, 06:48:50 am »

Didn’t get to watch the game until after Sunday lunch but what an absolute treat. I think how Brady, Sammo and Rico have gradually turned this around has been sensational. It was a massive task to get us to play with positivity and confidence yet individually and collectively to a man they have pulled it off. I actually got a bit emotional after the first half. We now have a real chance to get out of jail and that’s all you could ask and hope for? Special mention for Edmondson, as good a striking performance without a goal as you can get, if that makes sense?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2021, 08:30:46 am »

Didn’t get to watch the game until after Sunday lunch but what an absolute treat. I think how Brady, Sammo and Rico have gradually turned this around has been sensational. It was a massive task to get us to play with positivity and confidence yet individually and collectively to a man they have pulled it off. I actually got a bit emotional after the first half. We now have a real chance to get out of jail and that’s all you could ask and hope for? Special mention for Edmondson, as good a striking performance without a goal as you can get, if that makes sense?
I agree Melly, Edmondson held the ball up well and really pressed their defenders, I’m just not sure he’s a natural goal scorer though, still he’s a young lad.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Bertie

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #195 on: March 07, 2021, 08:47:12 am »

The first half will live in memory for a long time. Superb football, and not as if it were just four shots, there were other efforts too. However, it wont mean much if we don't get anything from the next two matches. Ryan Watson is a revelation - Supersam played a blinder, both defensively and offensively, Horsfall has really sorted himself out - and that's just to pick 3 who were getting consistent flak on here. Good to see Harriman come on and settle the defence too. Most are playing with verve and confidence - let's hope they can take it into some testing away matches.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #196 on: March 07, 2021, 09:08:37 am »

I’m not a fan of it but when I’m wrong, I’m happy to admit.

I was very critical of Ryan Watson at the start of the season and thought that there was no chance that he would be good enough to play regularly in League One.

Little did I know that all he needed was a manager who would actually know how to utilise his abilities. Unbelievable improvement and I’d already be waving a contract extension under his nose because let’s face it, 6 goals in five games from a midfielder for one of the lowest ranked sides in the league is going to be noticed.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
guest3338

« Reply #197 on: March 07, 2021, 09:10:49 am »

I agree Melly, Edmondson held the ball up well and really pressed their defenders, I’m just not sure he’s a natural goal scorer though, still he’s a young lad.

Plenty of time to catch Vadane Oliver up.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2021, 09:31:58 am »

I’m not a fan of it but when I’m wrong, I’m happy to admit.

I was very critical of Ryan Watson at the start of the season and thought that there was no chance that he would be good enough to play regularly in League One.

Little did I know that all he needed was a manager who would actually know how to utilise his abilities. Unbelievable improvement and I’d already be waving a contract extension under his nose because let’s face it, 6 goals in five games from a midfielder for one of the lowest ranked sides in the league is going to be noticed.

I think Watson, McWilliams & L Jones are surely complete no brainers.  Like you say I’d rather the club were proactive and at least test the water now as opposed to just leaving it and then getting shocked when we get sniped like with Oliver.
Brady has worked wonders to revitalise Horsfall & Sowerby who are under contract next season, the issue though will be the strikers Rose, BAS & possibly Smith (who went out on loan before Brady took over) who appear to be out of favour and will be taking up squad places.

Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2021, 09:41:41 am »

With all the talk of Hoskins/Edmondson, it looks as if it was actually an own goal instead of Horsfalls
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: