The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 09:16:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Wombles away 27.03.21

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wombles away 27.03.21  (Read 9030 times)
claretarmy

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Search Combination
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2021, 10:20:26 am »

Beat Shrewsbury on Friday (possible, we've improved lately at home) and we'll feel like we did after the Oxford game! Overall concerned that we will need 48pts or 47pt minimum - that is win half of the remaining games or 3 wins and two draws, and I feel we'd have to achieve this before the last game at Sunderland (they're flying at the moment and likely to win the league. Hopefully they'll be champions by then and we can get a result if we need it!), so a big big ask now unfortunately.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2021, 10:58:50 am »

Beat Shrewsbury on Friday (possible, we've improved lately at home) and we'll feel like we did after the Oxford game! Overall concerned that we will need 48pts or 47pt minimum - that is win half of the remaining games or 3 wins and two draws, and I feel we'd have to achieve this before the last game at Sunderland (they're flying at the moment and likely to win the league. Hopefully they'll be champions by then and we can get a result if we need it!), so a big big ask now unfortunately.

Chances are one-or-more of the strugglers will find some form during the run-in, so I reckon we should be looking at 51/52 points to be certain of staying up. At the moment I can't see us hitting an optimistic 48. Cry
Report Spam   Logged
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #202 on: March 28, 2021, 11:12:17 am »

Chances are one-or-more of the strugglers will find some form during the run-in, so I reckon we should be looking at 51/52 points to be certain of staying up. At the moment I can't see us hitting an optimistic 48. Cry

This is the problem ... there has been no feeling that we have been capable of hitting a purple patch at any stage of this season.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2021, 12:19:08 pm »

I can't see four teams all reaching 50 points for this to be necessary. Seems to be an unusual setup this season with 6 teams all within a few points of each other and nobody cut off from the pack. Normally by this stage you'd be looking at one or two teams who looked "doomed" but that's not the case. Add Burton into the mix if you like...they still need 8-10 more points too.

Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 28, 2021, 13:05:12 pm »

Looks like Burton Albion have already had their Power Play boost... hopefully, the JFH effect will revert to type!
Swindon too had a mini run. On yesterday's evidence, Wimbledon are shockingly devoid of any fire power - their boost was around the beginning of the season.
That leaves Wigan and Rochdale. Both capable of runs I'd say... unfortunately!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2021, 13:15:19 pm »

I think the expression is ‘rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic’ all the attackers have proved they can’t create and they can’t finish, it doesn’t matter what combination you play they are all garbage.

How do you explain the wins against Plymouth, Portsmouth and Oxford ? However I have a more favourable opinion on the squad; not much more but certainly more hopeful.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2021, 13:20:51 pm »

Looks like Burton Albion have already had their Power Play boost... hopefully, the JFH effect will revert to type!
Swindon too had a mini run. On yesterday's evidence, Wimbledon are shockingly devoid of any fire power - their boost was around the beginning of the season.
That leaves Wigan and Rochdale. Both capable of runs I'd say... unfortunately!

Apart from 16 goal striker Joe Piggott? They also have still a majority of games to play at home (6 of 10) and two of those games are against Swindon and Rochdale.
Burton have Accrington (who shipped 7 yesterday) and then Swindon in their next two games.
Rochdale can score goals, they have three home games in a row in the middle of April (Swindon, Accrington and Blackpool) and they need to pick up some points there.
Swindon, well its in their hands as they still have four other strugglers to play (Burton, Rochdale, Wimbledon and Wigan), win them all and they're safe!
Wigan....have a difficult run in, but home games with Crewe, Burton and Swindon so they'll be looking at them for 9 points.
Bristol Rovers look to be in the worst position for me, out of form and a more difficult set of fixtures left, the only ones on paper where they look like they have a chance of 3 points is when they come to us and when they play Crewe at home.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #207 on: March 28, 2021, 13:30:22 pm »

How do you explain the wins against Plymouth, Portsmouth and Oxford ? However I have a more favourable opinion on the squad; not much more but certainly more hopeful.

Well said Evers.
We can still do this.
And if the fat lady does sing let’s all try very hard to be big boys and girls and focus on a positive future and what we as supporters can do to help the club get there.
Keep the faith my fellow Cobblers.

PS I’m bracing myself for a wave of hate and derision but hey, the thing about opinions is that we all have a legitimate one!
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #208 on: March 28, 2021, 13:57:58 pm »

3 shots on target from open play in 5 games...

A team supposedly fighting for their life, how it that possible!?
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2021, 14:45:01 pm »

I’m not saying we are not capable of winning games and there are areas of the squad I’m happy with, for instance central defence and defensive midfield. It’s just with the attacking options where I despair no matter which permutations we select. The stats speak for themselves 12 goals in the last 16, 3 from defenders, 6 from midfield and only 3 from the normally 3 attackers played.
It’s easy for people on here to say whatever attacker isn’t playing would have done better than the ones selected but they’ve all had plenty of chances and failed, they’ve all got woeful goals to games ratios. At the moment we are still just about alive despite of the attackers not because of anything positive they’re providing.
Report Spam   Logged
claretarmy

View Profile
Level 5 Search Combination
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2021, 18:01:09 pm »

Another reason why I don't think you'll need 50pts to stay in the division is some teams have to play 10 games in five weeks. Usually at this stage, teams would have around 6 (2 games for the Easter Bank Holiday, then four weekend games) games left. Let's hope it's the lowest ever to stay up and Northampton stay above that line!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2021, 18:03:39 pm »

I do wonder why the new Jones fella doesn't get a game? His small cameo proves he can score, if he ain't fit why is he on the bench and why don't they tell us?
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2021, 18:10:44 pm »

I do wonder why the new Jones fella doesn't get a game? His small cameo proves he can score, if he ain't fit why is he on the bench and why don't they tell us?
Exactly. Surely he must be a better option than any of the usual suspects, or is he yet another player we've signed who is
already injured; Nuttall, Miller etc.
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2021, 18:17:51 pm »

Think midfield is the issue for me, we're actually bring good at converting chances that come our way, we just create absolutely zero all game. McWilliams is very limited in what he offers, Watson, Morris and Sowerby aren't doing enough. The couple of good ideas they have each game, normally a through ball to release a player, are always just slightly heavy. And equally, our wingbacks couldn't cross to save their lives.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2021, 19:54:23 pm »

Think midfield is the issue for me, we're actually bring good at converting chances that come our way, we just create absolutely zero all game. McWilliams is very limited in what he offers, Watson, Morris and Sowerby aren't doing enough. The couple of good ideas they have each game, normally a through ball to release a player, are always just slightly heavy. And equally, our wingbacks couldn't cross to save their lives.

I would agree with you that Morris and Sowerby should be offering more, McWilliams I would just want shielding the defence and Watson is our top scorer and without his goals we would already be down. I also think it’s harder for the full backs to provide as much going forward now we are playing with a back 4 and not 5. I just expect so much more from a front 3 in terms of interplay, crossing, running off the ball, creativity, making space, getting on the end of balls and obviously finishing.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #215 on: March 29, 2021, 11:59:08 am »

Brady says "half of the team were not at the races" against AFC which is better than none of them being "at the races" against Crewe. He doesn't seem to be able to consistently get them to produce acceptable levels of performance.
To be honest I would have been happier if Sammo had been made caretaker manager as he has efl experience and was a little harshly treated when previously sacked. He also seemed to speak a lot of sense when summarising on Radio N'pton.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 29, 2021, 15:35:41 pm »

Brady says "half of the team were not at the races" against AFC which is better than none of them being "at the races" against Crewe. He doesn't seem to be able to consistently get them to produce acceptable levels of performance.
To be honest I would have been happier if Sammo had been made caretaker manager as he has efl experience and was a little harshly treated when previously sacked. He also seemed to speak a lot of sense when summarising on Radio N'pton.
Yes, it would be interesting to know the particular input, influence and say on matters from the trio. Is a wonder why Brady rather than Sammo is the frontman!
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #217 on: March 29, 2021, 15:56:20 pm »

Yes, could someone find out why we actually took him on, just to sit on the bench? I think we've had it now anyway. We had to win against the Wombles to stand any chance.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #218 on: March 30, 2021, 07:32:22 am »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/wimbledon-goalkeeper-reveals-he-had-done-his-homework-before-saving-hoskins-penalty-3181922
"Didn't have a shot to save"
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest2995

« Reply #219 on: March 30, 2021, 07:47:14 am »

Yes, it would be interesting to know the particular input, influence and say on matters from the trio. Is a wonder why Brady rather than Sammo is the frontman!
Probably because Sammo has failed quite miserably in every managerial role he has had and wasn’t very good with us either if you take Liverpool out the equation .
Brady is also a well respected coach.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: