The Hotel End
June 14, 2021, 09:59:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh R.I.P.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh R.I.P.  (Read 7945 times)
CJ

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2021, 21:44:35 pm »

That's why it is being kept alive cos it makes the moderates look like complete d*cks for moving stuff and blocking threads in the past/future when they have of themselves created this one clearly where it shouldn't be. Haven't you worked that out?
Shush. It's his ball.
Report Spam   Logged

English Chelsea fan this is your last game
We're not Galatasaray We're Sparta FC.
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2021, 22:08:30 pm »

I'm considering pinning this topic simply because it seems to annoy you so much. Anybody with even the slightest bit of intelligence would have realised that if they stopped replying then the thread would fall to page 2 and no longer be a source of such intense irritation.
r

Try reading what I actually said; I never once said that the thread itself annoyed me, or have I mentioned that it intensely irritates me. It's the fact that the you moderators on your high and mighty platform can seem to pontificate or advocate any thread you wish, while locking any mere mortals thread on a whim. I'm happy for it to continue so I can boast about all the dead pop stars I've seen. Anyone with even the slightest bit of intelligence would have realised if they stopped being so autocratic they might gain a modicum of respect.
Report Spam   Logged
CJ

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2021, 22:14:48 pm »

Anyone know if HRH played any instruments?
Report Spam   Logged

English Chelsea fan this is your last game
We're not Galatasaray We're Sparta FC.
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2021, 22:53:30 pm »

That's why it is being kept alive cos it makes the moderates look like complete d*cks for moving stuff and blocking threads in the past/future when they have of themselves created this one clearly where it shouldn't be. Haven't you worked that out?
No, there's only a couple of people coming off like that.
Read the final line of the disclaimer that's been at the bottom of the page for getting on for 20 years - "The Hotel End reserves the right to make the rules up as it goes along."
Report Spam   Logged

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2021, 22:54:46 pm »

r

Try reading what I actually said; I never once said that the thread itself annoyed me, or have I mentioned that it intensely irritates me. It's the fact that the you moderators on your high and mighty platform can seem to pontificate or advocate any thread you wish, while locking any mere mortals thread on a whim. I'm happy for it to continue so I can boast about all the dead pop stars I've seen. Anyone with even the slightest bit of intelligence would have realised if they stopped being so autocratic they might gain a modicum of respect.
Yes, yours are the actions of somebody totally at ease with the situation.
Report Spam   Logged

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING
everbrite

Akenfenwa best of the bunch since Steve Howard

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2021, 00:09:56 am »

Copied all those; the Indian Electrical thingy one was a bit risqué. You must be very PC person to find most of these jokes/gaffes upsetting.
If he was directly connected to the club in some form or other we would be all over him. As it is Arsenal have some connection ...typical!

ps Glad the thread made 10 pages - bit hard work tho' Grin
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 00:13:03 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Larry

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2021, 07:28:14 am »

Copied all those; the Indian Electrical thingy one was a bit risqué. You must be very PC person to find most of these jokes/gaffes upsetting.
If he was directly connected to the club in some form or other we would be all over him. As it is Arsenal have some connection ...typical!

The Indian electrics was a mistake by him - he meant to say Cowboy
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2021, 11:06:07 am »

r

.....where angels fear to tread Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2021, 11:35:44 am »

I'm not PC at all, Evers. I just don't like the hypocrisy. The BBC daren't show a programme without having a host of colour or diversity, and they've spent a year spouting on about BLM, and yet they're drooling over the passing of a man reknowned for his racist views. The royals hardly dare let him near a microphone for the last thirty years. Grin
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2021, 11:36:15 am »

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2021, 11:48:45 am »

I'm an electrician and when I go abroad some of the installs are dreadful, but UK standards have dropped in the last 10 years.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2021, 11:59:47 am »

I'm an electrician and when I go abroad some of the installs are dreadful, but UK standards have dropped in the last 10 years.

Never been the same since Briggs & Forrester faded!
Report Spam   Logged

singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2021, 12:44:39 pm »

I came to the conclusion years ago whilst on my travels that there are no standards of installation abroad. Even today in the fatherland the quality of the workmanship just would not get past the first inspection let alone final acceptance.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2021, 14:13:39 pm »

The BBC daren't show a programme without having a host of colour or diversity, and they've spent a year spouting on about BLM, and yet they're drooling over the passing of a man reknowned for his racist views.

At the risk of opening a proper can or worms here, this harks back to the point that I was trying to make (not very well to be fair) on the very first page of this thread. I wasn't looking for a debate on the monarchy vs a republic or longing for the days of empire or even to start a political debate. Maybe I should have avoided using the reference to "the left" as it is so closely associated with the Labour party, but that isn't what I was getting at.

My point was intended to be more about how everything these days is so binary. It's either right or wrong, with me or against me and there's no room for nuance.

A lot of what is said is about context and intent. We used to have a black guy in our office and there was an ongoing joke about him having a massive dick. I've no idea if he had or not, it was based upon a lazy stereotype (although it was a rumour he started, to be fair!). I also used to work with a Muslim lad. One day we were out for a walk at lunchtime and someone drove past, banging their horn and shouting. My friend waved cheerily at the car and we carried on walking. I enquired who that was and he said "Oh, I've no idea. I get that all the while since September 11th." I was really offended and angry on his behalf, but at the same time we used to make some horrific sounding jokes about him being a suicide bomber. In both cases, we all knew each other really well, knew each other's sense of humour and knew where the lines were drawn. Would any of us make those jokes to a black or Muslim stranger? No, not in a million years. Would anyone listening in on some of our private conversations consider them racist? Yes, probably, because out of context they sound it. So was everyone in those two offices a racist, or were they making a joke about race? (yes, I know Muslim isn't a race, but you get my point)

From the outside it's a grey area because it's open to interpretation. It's like those people who go to see someone like Jimmy Carr or Ricky Gervais (interestingly both very liberal types from their outlook on life who are ruthless in their comedy topics) and then complain that they are offended or the Canadian comic who's currently in court fighting a discrimination case because he took the **** out of a disabled singer in his act. In all cases I'm sure you could find instances where they could be accused of being sexist, racist, sizest, ableist, homophobic, transphobic.... but are they really any of those things, or simply making a joke about a sensitive topic that others may find offensive?

Back on the main topic, did Prince Philip actually have "racist views" or did he have a penchant for making tongue in cheek, near the knuckle, nudge and a wink comments that were intended to be taken as a joke? With the exception of the "fitted by an Indian" one which was probably more due to him being raised in a different era, I don't think there's a lot to suggest that he was. If you read the story behind it, even the infamous "spear chucking" comment was taken as a joke between him and the indigenous old boy he said it to and they both had a good laugh about it (although the old guy's son was apparently offended by it). Of course, all context and tone is removed when this is overheard and just the words get reported on, which would fall into the same camp as the aforementioned un-PC-but-non-malicious office **** taking.

Should he have known better, given his position and the ubiquity of cameras and microphones around him? Yeah, almost certainly, but that's a different matter entirely.

For my part, I think the glowing praise he's received from people of colour around the world that knew him, from the Obamas to multiple commonwealth leaders in which they joyfully recount their meetings with him says more about the man than his more-focussed upon gaffes. Would a genuine racist sit down to a meal and a drink with someone they hated or disdained and leave that person feeling like they really enjoyed the experience of dining with him? I don't think so. I have an uncle who's an appalling racist (which is why I don't have anything to do with him) and he would be unable to filter or switch off his views in that situation. That for me is the difference.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
cobblertone

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2021, 17:46:30 pm »

At the risk of opening a proper can or worms here, this harks back to the point that I was trying to make (not very well to be fair) on the very first page of this thread. I wasn't looking for a debate on the monarchy vs a republic or longing for the days of empire or even to start a political debate. Maybe I should have avoided using the reference to "the left" as it is so closely associated with the Labour party, but that isn't what I was getting at.

My point was intended to be more about how everything these days is so binary. It's either right or wrong, with me or against me and there's no room for nuance.

A lot of what is said is about context and intent. We used to have a black guy in our office and there was an ongoing joke about him having a massive dick. I've no idea if he had or not, it was based upon a lazy stereotype (although it was a rumour he started, to be fair!). I also used to work with a Muslim lad. One day we were out for a walk at lunchtime and someone drove past, banging their horn and shouting. My friend waved cheerily at the car and we carried on walking. I enquired who that was and he said "Oh, I've no idea. I get that all the while since September 11th." I was really offended and angry on his behalf, but at the same time we used to make some horrific sounding jokes about him being a suicide bomber. In both cases, we all knew each other really well, knew each other's sense of humour and knew where the lines were drawn. Would any of us make those jokes to a black or Muslim stranger? No, not in a million years. Would anyone listening in on some of our private conversations consider them racist? Yes, probably, because out of context they sound it. So was everyone in those two offices a racist, or were they making a joke about race? (yes, I know Muslim isn't a race, but you get my point)

From the outside it's a grey area because it's open to interpretation. It's like those people who go to see someone like Jimmy Carr or Ricky Gervais (interestingly both very liberal types from their outlook on life who are ruthless in their comedy topics) and then complain that they are offended or the Canadian comic who's currently in court fighting a discrimination case because he took the **** out of a disabled singer in his act. In all cases I'm sure you could find instances where they could be accused of being sexist, racist, sizest, ableist, homophobic, transphobic.... but are they really any of those things, or simply making a joke about a sensitive topic that others may find offensive?

Back on the main topic, did Prince Philip actually have "racist views" or did he have a penchant for making tongue in cheek, near the knuckle, nudge and a wink comments that were intended to be taken as a joke? With the exception of the "fitted by an Indian" one which was probably more due to him being raised in a different era, I don't think there's a lot to suggest that he was. If you read the story behind it, even the infamous "spear chucking" comment was taken as a joke between him and the indigenous old boy he said it to and they both had a good laugh about it (although the old guy's son was apparently offended by it). Of course, all context and tone is removed when this is overheard and just the words get reported on, which would fall into the same camp as the aforementioned un-PC-but-non-malicious office **** taking.

Should he have known better, given his position and the ubiquity of cameras and microphones around him? Yeah, almost certainly, but that's a different matter entirely.

For my part, I think the glowing praise he's received from people of colour around the world that knew him, from the Obamas to multiple commonwealth leaders in which they joyfully recount their meetings with him says more about the man than his more-focussed upon gaffes. Would a genuine racist sit down to a meal and a drink with someone they hated or disdained and leave that person feeling like they really enjoyed the experience of dining with him? I don't think so. I have an uncle who's an appalling racist (which is why I don't have anything to do with him) and he would be unable to filter or switch off his views in that situation. That for me is the difference.

Pretty much agree with this. IMO debate has been stifled for the fear of being 'called out' on any one of a number of topics. Be that race, gender or sexuality etc. Whilst in the wings people sit waiting to be outraged on other peoples behalf, or try to impart their faceless faux intellect on others. On the most basic level you can blame social media for that.
"I'm only here for the comments".
Report Spam   Logged

All he had to do was build a stand.
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 15, 2021, 18:29:09 pm »

Pretty much agree with this. IMO debate has been stifled for the fear of being 'called out' on any one of a number of topics. Be that race, gender or sexuality etc. Whilst in the wings people sit waiting to be outraged on other peoples behalf, or try to impart their faceless faux intellect on others. On the most basic level you can blame social media for that.
"I'm only here for the comments".

Yeah, exactly, and then the "allowable" view of whatever the topic is becomes the accepted wisdom, not because it's empirically correct but simply because it becomes taboo to challenge it.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 15, 2021, 19:15:30 pm »

Why are all Blackmen “guys” ?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2021, 19:32:15 pm »

Anyone know if HRH played any instruments?
The bongos!
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 15, 2021, 20:36:22 pm »

How do you know if you are racist? You're white.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 15, 2021, 22:27:13 pm »

How do you know if you are racist? You're white.

I'm white, I'm Male, I'm 64 years old and I'm heterosexual.
Therefore I am not allowed a point of view because I would be wrong anyway.

In today's world you can do anything you like but you can't say anything.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: