The Hotel End
June 21, 2021, 06:07:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh R.I.P.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh R.I.P.  (Read 8014 times)
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 06, 2021, 09:26:16 am »

Unlike yourself evershed, we look to the future not the past. This Philip fella is gone as is Herr Corbyn. The shame lies at the door of the Fashista, peddling their suitcase of shame. The little children have suffered enough, spare them the deceit you peddle. Phil Chard cannot save your blushes, you are defined by your failure to embrace a new vision of shining excellence. You look down on Pollock and Brady as reflections of your corruption, you need to wise up and hug the fella that sits to your left. Kiss him, love him and only then will you see God.

Great post SAG - Cantonaesq in its message and nature.
Iím afraid some folks on here spend their dayís looking back and pining for the old days:
The Empire
The ruling classes, posh folks knowing best
People knowing their place
England for the English
Get on your bike and sort it out (unless you want to come here)
Hatred of tolerance and empathy

Vive le revolution!!
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 06, 2021, 09:30:07 am »

We started watching Bridgerton after it was recommended to us by numerous friends. We made it just over halfway through the first episode before giving up, a) because it was utter shžte and b) because we found it really difficult with all the PoC playing members of the aristocracy.

Apparently it used "colour blind casting" and just cast the actor whose performance best fit the role, irrespective of colour. In a contemporary fictional production that's great and exactly as it should be.

In a period piece I find it both disingenuous and hugely dismissive of the struggles PoC have gone through in the intervening years. If people grow up now watching shows set centuries ago where non-white characters are shown in senior positions, afforded the same respect as the white characters then there's a risk they will take that as a representation of how things really were.

People talk about cancel culture in relation to the likes of Colston and Rhodes but I think this is very much the same thing and actually more harmful; if we portray a world where it's all been fine and dandy for PoC for centuries, then aren't we erasing from history the efforts of all those people who fought tooth and nail against racism and discrimination?

Another great post.
Iím changing my mind ... maybe we should keep HRH going forever on Cobblers Corner?
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 06, 2021, 09:33:06 am »

It is true that if you look far enough back in time every people has had its fair share of atrocities committed against it. The women and children following the Battle of Watling Street springs to mind in the case of Britain.

Just look at what the Romans did, all that slavery and gladiator rubbish. The UK needs reparations NOW from Italy.
Report Spam   Logged
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 06, 2021, 09:42:53 am »

Just look at what the Romans did, all that slavery and gladiator rubbish. The UK needs reparations NOW from Italy.

To be fair, any reparations due should be offset for the Romans' introduction of sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 06, 2021, 10:21:45 am »

To be fair, any reparations due should be offset for the Romans' introduction of sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health.

Yes, but apart from that, what did the Romans ever do for us? Smiley

The Labour Party did a lot of the same things and they never got any credit either! Sad
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Akenfenwa best of the bunch since Steve Howard

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 06, 2021, 10:56:58 am »

Yes, but apart from that, what did the Romans ever do for us? Smiley

The Labour Party did a lot of the same things and they never got any credit either! Sad

Some wokests are reappearing!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 11:01:12 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 06, 2021, 11:24:51 am »

What you mean like Robert Powell as Jesus or Gal Gadot as Cleopatra?

You do know that New Testament Jesus was a mythical figure, right? Grin
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 06, 2021, 11:40:28 am »

Some wokests are reappearing!

Me?!  I've never even been to Woking! Tongue Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 06, 2021, 11:56:58 am »

Me?!  I've never even been to Woking! Tongue Tongue

The Labour Party was a party for good particularly Attlee and his reforms. The Corbynistos on here exemplified by a few above merely discredit a worthwhile party. Hope Starmer pulls it round! Disliked Ted Heath but like Boris ; itís his manner I can get on with!
Report Spam   Logged

JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 06, 2021, 12:20:34 pm »

The Labour Party was a party for good particularly Attlee and his reforms. The Corbynistos on here exemplified by a few above merely discredit a worthwhile party. Hope Starmer pulls it round! Disliked Ted Heath but like Boris ; itís his manner I can get on with!

Honestly, Evers, I've voted for many different parties over the years. I actually take the time to review policies, rather than nail my colours to any one ship. Boris got my vote last time - a decision made easy by the fact that Labour made themselves unelectable. I have to say though, as much as I don't align with Corbin's principles, at least he has some. Starmer is an insipid example of what Labour has become. A collective of ex-uni wannabes, with all the qualifications and not an ounce of backbone or common sense, and a complete lack of allingment with the man on the street. Party of the people? Not any more.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 06, 2021, 13:32:28 pm »

Labour is finished as a party, Jimmy Cranky has made sure of that.
Bring back the Empire and national service.
God Save the Queen.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 06, 2021, 13:37:00 pm »

God Save the Queen.

And the birch and hanging. Public flogging etc
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 06, 2021, 13:39:52 pm »

Thatís the spirit Tel....
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 06, 2021, 13:59:24 pm »

And they never happened In Spain, Belgium , France, Germany not to mention Serbia and Romania? In contrast with some of those Nations particularly France and Germany(Prussia) in comparison we generally did not adopt some of the worst policies common in Europe!
Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 06, 2021, 16:46:19 pm »

You've been watching Life of Brian again!

Oh, and you missed out orgies!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 06, 2021, 17:23:09 pm »

Thatís the spirit Tel....

Why not just go the whole hog; The rack, thumb screws, flaying, keel hauling, burning at the stake, hung drawn and quartered, red hot pokers, removal of limbs and thatís just for the most trivial crimes.
  I think some people on here would be happy to go back to the dark ages and Iím not referring to you Tel as Iím sure you had your tongue firmly in your cheek.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 06, 2021, 20:34:22 pm »

Why not just go the whole hog; The rack, thumb screws, flaying, keel hauling, burning at the stake, hung drawn and quartered, red hot pokers, removal of limbs and thatís just for the most trivial crimes.
  I think some people on here would be happy to go back to the dark ages and Iím not referring to you Tel as Iím sure you had your tongue firmly in your cheek.
Your being stupid now.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 06, 2021, 21:04:09 pm »

We don't need to go back to the dark ages for the most outrageously barbaric acts humankind is capable of (especially when inspired by ideology or religion) and surveys show many of the followers of those ideologies and religions are not exactly appalled.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 06, 2021, 21:13:07 pm »

Your being stupid now.

Possibly, but only as stupid as some of the right wing, nationalist, empirical, royalist jingoism we get from
certain posters. Live and let live, embrace all cultures, races and nations instead of longing to rule them.
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 06, 2021, 21:23:51 pm »

God Save the Queen.

State of this comment.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: