The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 18:32:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Betrayal of Football

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Betrayal of Football  (Read 1752 times)
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« on: April 16, 2021, 11:48:54 am »

My uncle did quite well for himself. Went to school in Louise Rd and was brought up in a 2 up 2 down Victorian council house. He ended up in a kind of semi stately home out in the country with 4 pillars at the front making it look like the Parthenon in rural England, quite the rags to riches dream, except it wasn’t. Unfortunately it was more like the rags to riches nightmare? Like most of these gaffs built around 1800 it needed a load of work to get it up to scratch, cue the planning department.
You see the building was apparently part of our National heritage, you couldn’t change a window, door or roof tile without some bod from the planning department crawling so far up his ar5e they needed a Davey lamp.
Let’s compare that to football. Northampton Town FC is 125 years old next year, and some are 150 years plus, not too dissimilar to my uncles abode. However, my uncles gaff was some obscure construction out in the middle of nowhere. Football clubs are at the very heart of the community and are a consuming passion for thousands of people going back generations. Despite this, individuals can buy a club and pretty much do what they like, including drive it into oblivion whilst they fulfil some self absorbing ego trip. Why the ridiculous disparity? Isn’t it about time that government took control and protected these institutions from the fantasy world of egotistical maniacs and put a structure in place for the protection of what I believe are institutions of historical and national importance? Far more so than my uncles naff mansion anyway? Has football been betrayed by this ridiculous contradiction, and isn’t it about time the powers that be stepped up and sorted this bu115hit out? Discuss.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 11:50:59 am by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 12:22:24 pm »

And sanitise the whole of football even further ? Why are people obsessed with every thing to do with football being perfect ?  Everything in life isn't equal, If it was the whole world would be petty boring. Trying to make football "fair" just because we support a small club, football needs people with money to come in and out of the game. Its what makes football the game it is, People are checked out before they buy football clubs, rightly so, but this obsession with Club ownership is just purely embarrassing. 
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 13:11:17 pm »

And sanitise the whole of football even further ? Why are people obsessed with every thing to do with football being perfect ?  Everything in life isn't equal, If it was the whole world would be petty boring. Trying to make football "fair" just because we support a small club, football needs people with money to come in and out of the game. Its what makes football the game it is, People are checked out before they buy football clubs, rightly so, but this obsession with Club ownership is just purely embarrassing. 
Good point.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 13:37:37 pm »

But just how well are people being "checked out"? This is the crux of the problem. If you can show you have the funds, then you'll likely get your ticket stamped. You need look no further than Tony Cardoza's dodgy past. That man should never have been allowed within a spit of owning a football club. I'm all for people being allowed to invest as they wish, but there are other factors to consider.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 14:22:03 pm »

But just how well are people being "checked out"? This is the crux of the problem. If you can show you have the funds, then you'll likely get your ticket stamped. You need look no further than Tony Cardoza's dodgy past. That man should never have been allowed within a spit of owning a football club. I'm all for people being allowed to invest as they wish, but there are other factors to consider.

If you checked on the majority of owners using that sort of criteria (outside having sufficient funds), I would argue that there would be very few football clubs with an owner.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 14:50:07 pm »

If you checked on the majority of owners using that sort of criteria (outside having sufficient funds), I would argue that there would be very few football clubs with an owner.  Wink

So you are saying most owners have previously been arrested and charged over massive financial wrongdoings, including multi-million pound insider tradings?
Report Spam   Logged
Battery Man

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 15:46:06 pm »

I think Melly has a point our clubs are institutions for communities and need some sort of protection because the FA and the EFL are both toothless. The FA are scared to lose the top clubs to a European superleague and the EFL just follow on the FA's coat tails. For me I would be more than happy for the big clubs to go and take the obscene money situation with them, then maybe when the big money has gone you are going to get clubs with the right sort of owners which would allow for restructuring of the leagues and a managed way for clubs to live within their means.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 15:55:45 pm »

So you are saying most owners have previously been arrested and charged over massive financial wrongdoings, including multi-million pound insider tradings?

If that is your definition of 'dodgy' then no.  Wink
I would say that that is a bit more than being a bit 'dodgy'.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Keith

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 17:56:59 pm »

Everything in life isn't equal, If it was the whole world would be petty boring.

Maybe then half the world wouldn't throw away food while the other half starves,

and before you go all excited,
i work at a food bank in the 6th richest country in the world or is it 1% of the country are the 6th richest in the world.
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 18:59:42 pm »

I don't think you could get me excited Keith, you don't sound my type  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
Keith

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 19:11:16 pm »

I don't think you could get me excited Keith, you don't sound my type  Grin

You never know i look a lot like everbrite but without the hat
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 19:42:59 pm »

Thats not a good image you have just planted in my head.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 19:46:41 pm »

I imagine you model yourself on Jeremy Corbyn.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Keith

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 19:58:34 pm »

I imagine you model yourself on Jeremy Corbyn.

Are you ok in the head
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 20:18:05 pm »

Are you ok in the head
Thought so.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Keith

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 20:30:24 pm »

Thought so.

you think, wow i'm impressed
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 20:45:50 pm »

you think, wow i'm impressed
Not difficult.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Keith

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 20:51:03 pm »

Not difficult.

Well done now next time we will try "being nice to people"
when you ready we will begin
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 21:40:40 pm »

The thing is, we've never been a rich club. We've always been in the bottom quartile, bar the occasional foray a division above. So by definition, we're always dangling on the verge of obscurity.

I'm no fan of KT but then I wasn't expecting him to lay golden eggs either.

We're all a bit gutted how this season has gone but it's hardly Reggie Perrin. We're a small club, the end. No point in slashing our wrists if we get relegated again, no point hanging Brady either. He inherited a pile of turds and no manner of shining them is likely to keep us up. As for KT.... Well, we still have a club and whilst he hasn't propelled us forward, he hasn't exactly taken us backwards either.

Deep breaths, reality check.....
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 22:06:12 pm »

The thing is, we've never been a rich club. We've always been in the bottom quartile, bar the occasional foray a division above. So by definition, we're always dangling on the verge of obscurity.

I'm no fan of KT but then I wasn't expecting him to lay golden eggs either.

We're all a bit gutted how this season has gone but it's hardly Reggie Perrin. We're a small club, the end. No point in slashing our wrists if we get relegated again, no point hanging Brady either. He inherited a pile of turds and no manner of shining them is likely to keep us up. As for KT.... Well, we still have a club and whilst he hasn't propelled us forward, he hasn't exactly taken us backwards either.

Deep breaths, reality check.....

At last a reality check - we will still have a club even if we are relegated!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: