The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 07:42:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Sad

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad  (Read 1732 times)
singcobb

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
Sad
« on: April 17, 2021, 20:36:40 pm »

After todays results it is now a forgone conclusion that we will be relegated without divine intervention.
I think that when KC got the boot many like myself were preparing ourselves for this outcome.
What I do take umbrage with is the people on here who almost seem to revell in this event, using it as a away to promote their disdain of the current management structure and call into account their motives at being the caretakers of a 4th stream football team. It's almost as if they are willing us to fail just to prove their point.
We as Cobblers fans have been through this before from yo-yo visits to a higher division to the depths of pleading re-election to the league and surviving on the fact that the conference winner had even more s***e facilities than us.
We are what we are. A provincial football club with a mediocre following and we will never be anything more. When KT goes, and go he will eventually, we will get something more of the same and remain forever stagnated in the fourth division.
Today for me is a sad day. I have had to accept that the club I love is doomed to relegation and fúck me sideways it hurts.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 21:44:38 pm »

After todays results it is now a forgone conclusion that we will be relegated without divine intervention.
I think that when KC got the boot many like myself were preparing ourselves for this outcome.
What I do take umbrage with is the people on here who almost seem to revell in this event, using it as a away to promote their disdain of the current management structure and call into account their motives at being the caretakers of a 4th stream football team. It's almost as if they are willing us to fail just to prove their point.
We as Cobblers fans have been through this before from yo-yo visits to a higher division to the depths of pleading re-election to the league and surviving on the fact that the conference winner had even more s***e facilities than us.
We are what we are. A provincial football club with a mediocre following and we will never be anything more. When KT goes, and go he will eventually, we will get something more of the same and remain forever stagnated in the fourth division.
Today for me is a sad day. I have had to accept that the club I love is doomed to relegation and fúck me sideways it hurts.
I don’t think anyone is revelling in our relegation, I apportion absolutely no blame at the door of the current management team, that lies squarely at the door of Thomas, like I said on the other thread if you back the manager at Christmas and then back him in the Jan transfer window why the hell would you then sack him a week later?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 21:47:01 pm by Manwork04 » Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 22:01:40 pm »

Many I think may well agree or at least sympathize with your comments. If you don't me saying there is an element of self pity in your eulogy which many at the moment (incl me) share with you. However grim things are at the moment we are not down yet so stuff 'em chins up and hope for the best. For those who practice doom and gloom on here forever and a day; they are supposedly fans so don't let them get you down. Good luck.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 12:42:26 pm »

I have to agree with a lot of this although we don't have to remain stagnant with a mediocre following, which has been  proved several times in the past but we never seem to be able to do anything to sustain the momentum. A lot of this has to do with the
the owners/chairmen/boards  we've had over the years, be it lack of money, dodgy dealings or lack of interest, although I will mention Max Griggs' name and what could have been. Equally culpable are the incompetent local councils we've had over the years, no matter which party they represent. Not saying they have a duty to the local football team, far from it, but you only have to look at the decline of the town over the last say 50 years and all the fantastic buildings that have been lost in the name of
"progress" to see that none of them have had any sense of civic pride or duty to the people they claim to represent. A successful football team brings a sense of pride to a to a town and could bring in outside interest to help sustain any momentum and a bigger better ground which in turn along with a successful team will help grow the fan base. It won't be able to grow in a pathetic little 7500 capacity tin box.
 The big turning point with council promises and assistance came in the Cardoza era and but for the notorious fence sitters the liberal democrats, David Cardoza could well have turned out the hero and not the villain of the Town. Can't remember all the details exactly but I'm sure someone can put me right. Pre election in their bullshît manifesto they said they were party that would
give the club all the help they needed to move forward, ie Cardozas grand plans for the stadium, remember the chron photo of him and Tony Clark with the plans for the ground, 15000 capacity and looking great. His plans were for development of the surrounding land into I think a garden centre among other things and a hotel and conference centre. But as soon as Richard Church and his cronies got into power, their way of helping the club was to suspend all out of town development until something like 2127,  maybe later, putting a massive spanner in Cardozas plans, who subsequently seemed to.throw his toys out of the pram cut Stuart Grays' budget and we were relegated with a whimper and future development plans looking bleak. A few years later we got another chance and we all know how that turned out. What I'm saying is we shouldn't have to be mediocre forever no matter how cursed we seem to be.

Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 12:51:42 pm »

I think you make a good point that ‘We are what we are’ which I think some people are unwilling to accept. Of course if the wind is blowing in the right direction a club our size can make the championship before inevitably being relegated. We came close we lost in the league 1 play off final and Wycombe are doing it now. I do think it’s more down to luck than any scientific process in appointing the right manager and recruiting the right players. Conversely the likes of Wrexham and Notts County have proved a club our size could easily get stuck in the conference, while others like Oxford and Luton have had rollercoaster journeys. There’s a lot of hyperbole thrown around and if the simple truth of being a lower league supporter is too much for you then I think you’re supporting the wrong team. There’s no problem always for better but that has to be tempered with a touch of reality.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 12:56:49 pm »

Sorry, Freudian slip. I meant 2027.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 21:28:20 pm »

Yes, we are what we are, a mostly fourth division club. We have brief flirtations with the next division up every few years but no history of playing at higher levels. As Joe Mercer said "the miracle of the sixties wasn't England winning the World Cup, it was Northampton Town playing in Division 1".                                                                                                                                                                         
    I didn't think as some observers did , that last season's promotion was undeserved but it was unexpected, I think even for the management  team. It would appear that players had been scouted for league 2. We then failed to sign our main targets and ended up with our third or fourth choices. These players would have been average at best in league 2 so is it any wonder they have struggled in league 1? Jon Brady's comment on Friday tell us everything                                                                                                                                                                         
    "I never lose heart with the commitment the players are showing. They are fully committed to the cause and they are giving everything they've got, but sometimes, when you're pushed to the limit of your ability, you make mistakes like we did".

In other words 'these players aren't good enough'.
So now we all realise, very sadly, we are going home and once again hoping for a promotion in the next few years. UTC
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 21:29:56 pm by EB Claret » Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 06:26:12 am »

I broadly agree with most of these posts.

I’m rationalising this year by thinking of it like the rest of 2020/21 - a time to forget and recover from!
For whatever reason we went into this season with a Division 2 squad but I’m confident we’ll bounce back next year. As someone said, for those of us whose mental health can’t stand the lower league merry-go-round, the easy option is always available - go and support Liverpool or Chelsea in the new ESL alongside all the armies of 12 year olds from Beijing, Bangkok and Baltimore!

As Evers will point out though - the fat lady hasn’t sung just yet!
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 07:35:14 am »

I broadly agree with most of these posts.

I’m rationalising this year by thinking of it like the rest of 2020/21 - a time to forget and recover from!
For whatever reason we went into this season with a Division 2 squad but I’m confident we’ll bounce back next year. As someone said, for those of us whose mental health can’t stand the lower league merry-go-round, the easy option is always available - go and support Liverpool or Chelsea in the new ESL alongside all the armies of 12 year olds from Beijing, Bangkok and Baltimore!

As Evers will point out though - the fat lady hasn’t sung just yet!

Indeed, I think I'm going to look back on this season played out in front of empty stadiums as the season that never happened.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 08:06:01 am »

We then failed to sign our main targets and ended up with our third or fourth choices.

KC said at the start of the season we missed out on some of our main targets, obviously Morton was one due to Appleton’s links with WBA, though I think with the chasing of Sowerby he was probably one too.
Then at Christmas KC said when we got Miller and Edmondson how happy he was to get two of his main targets from the summer. I’ve heard people say he was probably making this up despite being quite happy to believe what he said at the start of the season as this doesn’t fit with their agenda despite there being clear evidence we tried since to sign Miller. Had we had these 2 main targets from the summer all year would we have been in any better a position? I doubt it. I’m sure most clubs didn’t get all there main targets, some like us, Bristol Rovers and Swindon just recruited really badly. We splashed out transfer fees on a number of players who have been awful.

Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 08:30:49 am »

KC said at the start of the season we missed out on some of our main targets, obviously Morton was one due to Appleton’s links with WBA, though I think with the chasing of Sowerby he was probably one too.
Then at Christmas KC said when we got Miller and Edmondson how happy he was to get two of his main targets from the summer. I’ve heard people say he was probably making this up despite being quite happy to believe what he said at the start of the season as this doesn’t fit with their agenda despite there being clear evidence we tried since to sign Miller. Had we had these 2 main targets from the summer all year would we have been in any better a position? I doubt it. I’m sure most clubs didn’t get all there main targets, some like us, Bristol Rovers and Swindon just recruited really badly. We splashed out transfer fees on a number of players who have been awful.

The whole Nuttall debacle sums that all up!
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 10:50:25 am »

To say supporting the Cobblers is frustrating, would be a huge understatement. Of course, like so many clubs, we are capable of so much more. I have lost count of the false dawns that we have seen over the years. But most of all I find the more recent years worst of all. I think we have some great supporters, but on the whole, we resemble a dog that has had the fight kicked out of it. We are reduced to feeding off of scraps of hope, looking for any glimmer of hope, just in the vain hope of one crack at genuine success. I have and always will love the Cobblers. But I curse the day that fcuking land was ever mentioned. It has driven a wedge through the heart of what was once a very proud institution.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 11:17:57 am »

But I curse the day that fcuking land was ever mentioned. It has driven a wedge through the heart of what was once a very proud institution.

Even if the land deal had gone through as proposed I doubt it would have led to any tangible difference on the pitch just a few more empty seats in the stands between fans.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 14:18:58 pm »

We all have varying views on the clubs current 'status', both on and off the pitch. Heres mine....

For as long as I've supported the club, 1987 it was when I started, the 'ground' has ALWAYS been whats held us back. I recall back in 1987/88 season, there were plans to build a new stand at the county ground whilst we were on a bit of a roll, on the pitch. Nothing happened. We soon nose dived and hit the financial hardships that have on numerous times since surfaced.

Then, when we did finally leave the County Ground, things very quickly started to progress (on the pitch, albeit once Atkins was appointed), but again, no expansion of Sixfield's, no extra seats installed, just talk. Talk about how easy it was to add extra tiers etc. Again, we were on a roll, sell out crowds quite often, 4500 fans at Watford, 42000 fans at Wembley. Local owners who were in it for the love, not the money. But for whatever reason, no additional seats, we still didn't own the ground, investment as it was was not forthcoming.

Then things changed. After another series of bucket collections and another relegation, DC splashed the cash. Took on the lease, saving the council 500k a year in subsidising the stadium. Remember it well. The BIGGEST mistake in many a year, before that and since. We had a good rental deal, but he got rid of that on the proviso that he could redevelop the land etc. Of course we know what happened next...after around 10 years of politics and an ever increasing debt.

We then got new owners, again after nearly going bankrupt. A lot of parallels again, history in many ways repeating itself. 5 years, a completed promotion, relegation, unexpected promotion, a likely relegation. Lots of owner debt mounting up, with no clear indication as to where we are heading next.

For me, until we have a situation where the ground (or land or as it is now, both) is not being used as a political football, where we have owners who are only interested in developing the football club and trying to get the team up the divisions, we are likely to carry on as we are. A small chance we could fluke it and 'do a Wycombe' but a bigger chance that we will go the other way. We've only bounced around 2 divisions, but its been a close call on a few occasions where we've nearly slipped into non league. It wasn't looking too healthy 2 seasons ago after 10 games before Curle arrived and steered us clear.

Big decisions need to be made once this season is out the way with. A clear and concise plan put in place as to what the intentions are, way beyond the 'do a deal with the council' stuff. The fans need to be 'brought together', there are too many factions developing and mutating. The louder ones amongst our ranks (I'm talking online at the minute obviously!) spend their time slagging of anyone who may be a bit indifferent, may have different opinions, or quite simply might not want to get involved in the politics and just support the team/club. When we had the 'we want answers' campaign, Id say around 25% of our fans were behind it, 25% were absolutely against it, the other 50% were fence sitters. Until its accepted that we are all bloody supporters, all really want the team to do well, and all have different personalities, views etc, then these factions will continue to mutate. Its not healthy. Look at Lincoln, how their fans 'are one'. We've only been like that twice in the last 30 years, around 96-98 period and in 2015.

Whatever happens in the coming months once this season is done and dusted, its vital that as a club and support base we move forward as one. Then we stand a much better chance of being successful. The owners and the fans both need to play their respective parts in this. If one doesn't do so, then mutations will continue to develop. And we could end up quickly moving down towards the bloody national league.

In my mind, the club has massive massive potential. I don't buy into this 'well we've always been sh1t, we've still got a club etc. However I wont slate anyone off for having that view, I fully respect it, it doesn't mean Im a better supporter than they are, or worse, or whatever. It just means I'm different to them in my views. I think with the wind blowing in the right direction, the right plan in place off the pitch, a support base 'fully behind the project' etc, we can make the 2nd tier in the coming few years. But so many things need to fall into place for that to realistically happen. I live in hope that it will. UTC!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 14:21:10 pm by DrillingCobbler » Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 15:02:03 pm »

Even if the land deal had gone through as proposed I doubt it would have led to any tangible difference on the pitch just a few more empty seats in the stands between fans.

You don’t half overdo the positives!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 16:36:33 pm »

We all have varying views on the clubs current 'status', both on and off the pitch. Heres mine....

For as long as I've supported the club, 1987 it was when I started, the 'ground' has ALWAYS been whats held us back. I recall back in 1987/88 season, there were plans to build a new stand at the county ground whilst we were on a bit of a roll, on the pitch. Nothing happened. We soon nose dived and hit the financial hardships that have on numerous times since surfaced.

Then, when we did finally leave the County Ground, things very quickly started to progress (on the pitch, albeit once Atkins was appointed), but again, no expansion of Sixfield's, no extra seats installed, just talk. Talk about how easy it was to add extra tiers etc. Again, we were on a roll, sell out crowds quite often, 4500 fans at Watford, 42000 fans at Wembley. Local owners who were in it for the love, not the money. But for whatever reason, no additional seats, we still didn't own the ground, investment as it was was not forthcoming.

Then things changed. After another series of bucket collections and another relegation, DC splashed the cash. Took on the lease, saving the council 500k a year in subsidising the stadium. Remember it well. The BIGGEST mistake in many a year, before that and since. We had a good rental deal, but he got rid of that on the proviso that he could redevelop the land etc. Of course we know what happened next...after around 10 years of politics and an ever increasing debt.

We then got new owners, again after nearly going bankrupt. A lot of parallels again, history in many ways repeating itself. 5 years, a completed promotion, relegation, unexpected promotion, a likely relegation. Lots of owner debt mounting up, with no clear indication as to where we are heading next.

For me, until we have a situation where the ground (or land or as it is now, both) is not being used as a political football, where we have owners who are only interested in developing the football club and trying to get the team up the divisions, we are likely to carry on as we are. A small chance we could fluke it and 'do a Wycombe' but a bigger chance that we will go the other way. We've only bounced around 2 divisions, but its been a close call on a few occasions where we've nearly slipped into non league. It wasn't looking too healthy 2 seasons ago after 10 games before Curle arrived and steered us clear.

Big decisions need to be made once this season is out the way with. A clear and concise plan put in place as to what the intentions are, way beyond the 'do a deal with the council' stuff. The fans need to be 'brought together', there are too many factions developing and mutating. The louder ones amongst our ranks (I'm talking online at the minute obviously!) spend their time slagging of anyone who may be a bit indifferent, may have different opinions, or quite simply might not want to get involved in the politics and just support the team/club. When we had the 'we want answers' campaign, Id say around 25% of our fans were behind it, 25% were absolutely against it, the other 50% were fence sitters. Until its accepted that we are all bloody supporters, all really want the team to do well, and all have different personalities, views etc, then these factions will continue to mutate. Its not healthy. Look at Lincoln, how their fans 'are one'. We've only been like that twice in the last 30 years, around 96-98 period and in 2015.

Whatever happens in the coming months once this season is done and dusted, its vital that as a club and support base we move forward as one. Then we stand a much better chance of being successful. The owners and the fans both need to play their respective parts in this. If one doesn't do so, then mutations will continue to develop. And we could end up quickly moving down towards the bloody national league.

In my mind, the club has massive massive potential. I don't buy into this 'well we've always been sh1t, we've still got a club etc. However I wont slate anyone off for having that view, I fully respect it, it doesn't mean Im a better supporter than they are, or worse, or whatever. It just means I'm different to them in my views. I think with the wind blowing in the right direction, the right plan in place off the pitch, a support base 'fully behind the project' etc, we can make the 2nd tier in the coming few years. But so many things need to fall into place for that to realistically happen. I live in hope that it will. UTC!

Good post Drilling, 2015 was great and the only time in the last 25 years that I thought we were all pulling together.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 16:42:22 pm »

Fcuking hell drilling you’ve got more mutations than India in that lot 😂
Agree with you completely.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Charlatan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 09:08:49 am »

Spot on post Drilling.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: