The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 05:22:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Home against the Tractor Boys 20.04.21

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home against the Tractor Boys 20.04.21  (Read 6706 times)
Clint

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2021, 20:29:10 pm »

Great performance tonight from the whole team and a well-deserved 3 points.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
Signature 1000 Posts Combination
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2021, 20:48:20 pm »

Good performance tonight and deserved too, although the scoreline could have been in the region of 5 - 3.  Great save by Mitchell at 2-0, I had initially thought the Ipswich lad had just screwed his shot wide. We look so much better up front when we have someone to hold the ball up and I thought Alex Jones and Chuck did that well, which allowed us to create chances and relieve the pressure on the defence. Pity Chuck had to come off but it was the right decision in the circumstances. We need to keep Oliver quiet on Saturday and we should have a chance, they were no great shakes at Sixfields.

I noticed we only played one Chuck tonight, no doubt to Tim's relief.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End Grand National sweepstake winner 2024
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2021, 21:45:09 pm »

One in the eye for the alias bottom feeders that do nothing other than tear the lads and the club apart.

Well done boys.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2021, 22:21:06 pm »

Good win and performance even if it counts for nothing at the end of the day.
Ipswich had lots of possession but we looked more dangerous in attack. Alex Jones makes such a difference with his hold up play, especially in the first half when we got others forward to support him and gave him a team mate to pass to.
Two well worked corners for the first two goals and good pressing for the third. The defence was sound and the centre backs were superb again. JB had sent the team out with a game plan and they really carried it out to the letter.
I think the people that have accused these players of not caring or trying are just wrong, the work rate was again fantastic, the quality may be lacking but if all eleven produce their best form we can achieve results like this.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2021, 22:31:29 pm »

One in the eye for the alias bottom feeders that do nothing other than tear the lads and the club apart.

Well done boys.

👍
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
Linux User Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2021, 22:39:31 pm »

Great team performance & at least we're showing plenty of fight (unlike Bristol Rovers)  Wink

Just a shame KC was given the whole January window before being sacked...

The one player Brady has bought in, Alex Jones, looks class...

Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2021, 22:48:27 pm »

Good performance and hopefully we can build on it, although basically playing for pride at this stage. So much for all the HE experts spouting that 47 points would be enough. Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged
Bertie

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2021, 07:12:10 am »

Good performance and an entertaining game. Could have been a bit different though as they got behind us far too easily in the first half - but then fluffed the crosses. Pity Alex Jones missed his chance - he deserved to score. Unfortunately due to Wigan and Wombles both winning 4 on the trot this goes down as a Grand Futile Gesture - but can only keep trying, - there is the basis of a decent team now.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2021, 07:32:34 am »

a great result against with the resources available against decent opposition.
Glad to see Caleb get a chance and Jones do so well.
We are going down with a fight but those critical games against Rovers and Wimbledon are going to cost us dearly.
We would have been rock bottom of the league under Curle , i have no doubt about that .
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2021, 07:56:52 am »

We are going down with a fight but those critical games against Rovers and Wimbledon are going to cost us dearly.
We would have been rock bottom of the league under Curle , i have no doubt about that .
We are not exactly challenging for Europe either   Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2021, 08:08:49 am »

This result (combined with the Wigan and Wimbledon ones) left me in a funny mood last night. On the one hand, I always want us to win every game but on the other, I almost wanted us to lose so it's done and dusted.
Logically, looking at the games to come I can't see any situation in which we'll survive, so we're enduring a death of a thousand cuts at the moment. However, while it's still mathematically possible to survive you just can't shake that hope that something freakish will happen!

Still, taking the game in isolation it was a good performance and a great result. I thought Chuck and Jones made a good pairing up front and caused problems. It's a real shame Kioso has been injured because he adds such dynamism to the side that we otherwise lack.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2021, 08:15:19 am »

I wont get carried away at all, it was a decent performance but once again no goals from our forwards! Awful defending/goal keeping for all 3 goals as well. That said, we toughed it out, played some decent counter attacking stuff at times and deserved the 3 points. BUT Ipswich, certainly defensively and mentally, looked like 'they were on holiday'. They were crap!!

What I will say is that our threat went pretty much the moment we subbed Chuck off and reverted back 'to type' when it came to our forward line. I've said for weeks (months in Chucks case) that Jones/Chuck should start; still don't understand why Rose/Edmundson were given so many opportunities. 'Winged' by Hoskins and Marshall, it wasn't good enough for league1. Miller's injury was unfortunate, both times (remember Lincoln, we were outplaying them until he went off). He might not be great at times, BUT his pace troubles defenders, they end up marking him tightly and thus affording more room for our other forwards. He IS a threat, our biggest one in the 'creative department' and I reckon if Miller hadn't of had so much time out injured we'd be clear of the bottom4.

Assuming that we do go down, IF we do keep Chuck, Jones and Rose, we will score plenty of goals in league 2 on the assumption that we can improve the supply line. Id also be inclined to put two arms around Smith because he would complete the 'set of clubs' (the only thing Gary Johnson ever said that I liked!  Grin ) for a potential promotion push when it comes to our forwards. If he was to leave, then that would release some budget to bring in someone else with some credentials of scoring goals and decent hold up play!

Im indifferent when it comes to Brady and co. I like them, I like them a lot. But are they the answer? Ill reserve judgement until after this seasons done and dusted. I think reflection is key starting now, and conclusions being made pretty much as soon as the season is finished so we can go about the transfer business/contracts quickly before we get gazumped by other clubs.

Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2021, 08:33:57 am »

This result (combined with the Wigan and Wimbledon ones) left me in a funny mood last night. On the one hand, I always want us to win every game but on the other, I almost wanted us to lose so it's done and dusted.
Logically, looking at the games to come I can't see any situation in which we'll survive, so we're enduring a death of a thousand cuts at the moment. However, while it's still mathematically possible to survive you just can't shake that hope that something freakish will happen!

Still, taking the game in isolation it was a good performance and a great result. I thought Chuck and Jones made a good pairing up front and caused problems. It's a real shame Kioso has been injured because he adds such dynamism to the side that we otherwise lack.

Ditto.

I think if we continue to go down fighting and can get a win or two from the last three, then JB will definitely have a strong claim to have a go next season. Any alternative isn't going to fill us with excitement, so we may as well stick with some continuity.
We've seen previously that we are capable of what we did last night, we just never seem to back it up.
It is a shame that two of the others have gone on such a crazy run, or else survival would have still have been a much more likely outcome.
We'll be ruing the AFC and Rovers results, despite the damage being done in the transfer window.
If we did the highly unlikely '4 wins on the bounce' we'd be very unlucky to go down on 52 points but that's still dreamland!

Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2021, 09:06:24 am »

If we go down winning / fighting it will hopefully help the start of next season and at least have some confidence in the squad. I doubt there will be wholesale changes as we have seen in the past, we cant afford it, so a few (hopefully) improvements and start next season strong and come straight back up.
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler151

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Search
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2021, 09:31:11 am »

If we go down winning / fighting it will hopefully help the start of next season and at least have some confidence in the squad. I doubt there will be wholesale changes as we have seen in the past, we cant afford it, so a few (hopefully) improvements and start next season strong and come straight back up.

absolutely no chance of that happening
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2021, 09:49:01 am »

My money is going on... Wink Cool

That went down the Swannee...thanks for that... Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2021, 10:00:41 am »

True but equally the accumaleted odds for both Wimbledon and Wigan winning their last 4 games would have been over 5000/1
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2021, 11:23:28 am »

You don’t know that! Look at Oldham’s results! I appreciate what Brady is doing and if appointed Manager will support him. Our current situation is grim and we now have to win all 3 remaining games! What’s the difference in the situation now compared with KC - better playing style interlaced with some disastrous results.

Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2021, 11:28:24 am »

Why not?
Report Spam   Logged

guest49

« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2021, 12:19:47 pm »

You don’t know that! Look at Oldham’s results! I appreciate what Brady is doing and if appointed Manager will support him. Our current situation is grim and we now have to win all 3 remaining games! What’s the difference in the situation now compared with KC - better playing style interlaced with some disastrous results.

I wouldn't say Oldham have done that much better than us.
Last 10 games. Us W3 D2 L5, Oldham W4 D2 L4.

The thing with managers (and players) is you never know which version and result you are going to get. Every situation and squad is different and that's why it's a funny old game. Garry Johnson a prime example. More recently JFH seems to be doing OK. Look at how Wilder went from strength to strength, before the relative wheels fell off. He didn't start great with us but came good. Appreciate it's a bit more pressured and money driven the higher up you go and he is clearly a fantastic manager.

I wouldn't want Curle back. The timing was strange though and should have happened earlier if it's the route KT wanted to go. Not sure if I agree that we would have definitely finished bottom if we hadn't have sacked him but I think the end result would have 'probably' been the same. We'll never know.

I do think people put too much emphasis on a manager being able to build their own squad and I'm sure that some managers will get far more out of the same bunch of players as others. This is where I think JB has actually done pretty well. I'm no 'JB super fan' but I think he is the most sensible appointment to see how next season shapes up.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: