The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 19:57:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Super League

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super League  (Read 5388 times)
Manwork04

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« on: April 18, 2021, 22:35:37 pm »

Fcuk the Super League, we’ve not been asked.
Seriously this is the beginning of the end for the beautiful game.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Buster

View Profile
Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 23:14:20 pm »

No, the ‘Premiership’ (as it was known) was the beginning of the end - this latest move was inevitable.
The bubble will now burst as sponsorship begins to dry up for the premier league and EFL who’s clubs will be left with unsustainable overheads.
Oh of course the ‘super league’ will give them a seemingly wonderful divorce settlement to go quietly (that they’ll have no choice to accept), but that will be short term and just delay the inevitable.
The revenue (sponsorship) is coming from a worldwide audience, where unfortunately there’s no affinity with the national leagues of the countries affected, so not even the fans (audiences) are going to be able to stop this.
Naturally, one day it will all come tumbling down but the infrastructure we know and love will be long gone by then.
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 00:09:04 am »

No, the ‘Premiership’ (as it was known) was the beginning of the end - this latest move was inevitable.
The bubble will now burst as sponsorship begins to dry up for the premier league and EFL who’s clubs will be left with unsustainable overheads.
Oh of course the ‘super league’ will give them a seemingly wonderful divorce settlement to go quietly (that they’ll have no choice to accept), but that will be short term and just delay the inevitable.
The revenue (sponsorship) is coming from a worldwide audience, where unfortunately there’s no affinity with the national leagues of the countries affected, so not even the fans (audiences) are going to be able to stop this.
Naturally, one day it will all come tumbling down but the infrastructure we know and love will be long gone by then.
I actually think the "Big 6" are making a really big mistake and I think the vast majority of football fans are thinking, OK f*ck off but we're not paying for subscriptions to watch you. At the moment I pay for Sky Sports & BT Sports but if either of them take this Super League, I'll drop them like a stone and I think most fans feel the same. Ban them from the Premier League, clubs like Arsenal would soon get fed up with finishing near the bottom of the League every year.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 01:02:46 am »

I actually think the "Big 6" are making a really big mistake and I think the vast majority of football fans are thinking, OK f*ck off but we're not paying for subscriptions to watch you. At the moment I pay for Sky Sports & BT Sports but if either of them take this Super League, I'll drop them like a stone and I think most fans feel the same. Ban them from the Premier League, clubs like Arsenal would soon get fed up with finishing near the bottom of the League every year.

This is the thing that perplexes me most about the whole concept. The 'big six' are only big because they're successful, win most of the games they play, qualify for Europe and win trophies? Surely the appeal of following Arsenal / Spurs if you're in the US or the Far East becomes virtually non-existent when they're battling it out for 11th and 12th place every year, and there's not even relegation to keep it interesting at the bottom? As a model, this is so short sighted its untrue, and assumes that an NFL-style system is sustainable for football - which it isn't.
Report Spam   Logged

JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 04:42:54 am »

This is the thing that perplexes me most about the whole concept. The 'big six' are only big because they're successful, win most of the games they play, qualify for Europe and win trophies? Surely the appeal of following Arsenal / Spurs if you're in the US or the Far East becomes virtually non-existent when they're battling it out for 11th and 12th place every year, and there's not even relegation to keep it interesting at the bottom? As a model, this is so short sighted its untrue, and assumes that an NFL-style system is sustainable for football - which it isn't.

I think it's mostly bulls*** aimed at leveraging more money out of the footballing authorities - as if the 'big six' aren't already creaming a profit. I hope the governing bodies have the stones to stick them out on this one and call their bluff. Although I imagine they'll bend over for them, and 'the six' will end up squeezing even more coin out of the game.
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 05:58:15 am »

I think it's mostly bulls*** aimed at leveraging more money out of the footballing authorities - as if the 'big six' aren't already creaming a profit. I hope the governing bodies have the stones to stick them out on this one and call their bluff. Although I imagine they'll bend over for them, and 'the six' will end up squeezing even more coin out of the game.

I suspect you’re right Jolly. I hope this is just a cynical negotiation tactic that shows the utter contempt these clubs have for “real”supporters. The irony is that these primadonna clubs are saying the financial model is broken and that this is the only way it can fixed - who do they think broke the fcukin thing in the first place for fcuks sake??

My only hope is that this strikes at the heart of the footballing “society” and supporting one of these clubs will eventually become unacceptable - like letting your dog **** on the pavement or driving drunk. Not much chance of that I suppose, so if the Super League does happen (or some version of it), it would drive a club like NTFCs income to just what it can get through the gates and streaming services like iFollow.

Similarly, this new 100 ball cricket competition is the start of the end for NCCC. Thank god for the Saints - maybe they’ll be the only professional sporting side Northamptonshire have in 5 years time? Egg shaped ball anybody?
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Travelaway

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 07:04:12 am »

Let them go, kick em out of the English system now!
No relegation next season.. Grin
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 07:31:01 am »

£3.5bn to all the founding clubs - says all you need to know about why they are doing it!

not quite on the same scale as "the hundred" - but i get the comparison - both will destroy the infrastructure that is in place for clubs / fans.

everyone will be watching games they have no allegiance for in any shape or form - if they are watching them at all
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 07:39:00 am »

£3.5bn to all the founding clubs - says all you need to know about why they are doing it!

not quite on the same scale as "the hundred" - but i get the comparison - both will destroy the infrastructure that is in place for clubs / fans.

everyone will be watching games they have no allegiance for in any shape or form - if they are watching them at all

Spot On!
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 08:41:51 am »

Agreed the premier league was all about the big clubs getting richer and a ‘f*ck you’ to the rest of the rest of the football league. Now a subset of those top clubs is now doing the same to the rest.
I don’t really care, the premier league meant there was no chance of another Wimbledon unless you have a super rich backer and the only dealings we have with these elite clubs is on the odd occasion we play their reserves in the FA or league cup or their kids in the papa j’s trophy.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3429

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 08:48:59 am »

I don't think its bluster, not with the three big American conglomerates on the board, this has been on the cards for a while. Inevitable in this world of media and rapid change, this covid lockdown has only sped up its inauguration.

Who needs 50,000 Mancs or Scoucers when you have a billion Asians and a travelling circus?

The "Football League" could be a great competition again, more balanced, more sustainable and community based. The FA Cup played on Saturdays at 3pm same as the final!

It could be done.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3429

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 08:59:56 am »

Fcuk the Super League, we’ve not been asked.
Seriously this is the beginning of the end for the beautiful game.

"What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from."

This could herald the renaissance of British Football, nothing "beautiful" about the Glazers!
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 09:07:55 am »

With 6 leaving the Prem surely we will be on the edge of the play offs ?   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 09:47:32 am »

I would like to see them banned from all domestic competitions and let them survivie purely on their super league income. I think they are over estimating the amount of revenue they are going to get from this. As has been said on here already by some I would not pay a penny to watch them, I have never even bothered to pay for the premier league and I can see that rather than garnering more revenue all they are going to do is split the existing pot.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 10:20:42 am »

I'd love the likes of Sky and BT come out and say they won't bid for the rights to screen this circus if it does come into effect.

This is well worth a watch, by the way.

Take a bow, Gary Neville....
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 10:42:42 am »

The whole thing is disgusting and as Roger said a potentially huge banana skin.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 13:16:49 pm »

https://twitter.com/borussia_en/status/1384118580300566533?s=09

The German clubs (including Bayern) are all against it.
Porto have also declined their invitation.
https://twitter.com/puncirs/status/1384123390487777285?s=19
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Carton Lid

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 13:54:34 pm »

https://twitter.com/borussia_en/status/1384118580300566533?s=09

The German clubs (including Bayern) are all against it.
Porto have also declined their invitation.
https://twitter.com/puncirs/status/1384123390487777285?s=19
Kelvin says "We are ready to step in"  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 13:56:17 pm »

GREEDY FCUKING CHAIRMAN........WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED THAT!
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 14:06:18 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/brady-heartbroken-by-european-super-league-proposals-3206238
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: