The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:57:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

He’s one of own ...

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He’s one of own ...  (Read 3587 times)
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« on: April 27, 2021, 13:57:39 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/mcwilliams-will-be-with-us-next-season-as-brady-hails-midfielders-fitness-and-form-3215927

Fabulous news about Shaun.
Player of the year for me (although not a lot of competition!) so JB saying he’s gonna be here next year is the best Cobbs news I’ve heard for some time.
Impressive stat about his tackling percentage as well - considering we’re 21st in the league!
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 13:59:20 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/mcwilliams-will-be-with-us-next-season-as-brady-hails-midfielders-fitness-and-form-3215927

Player of the year for me (although not a lot of competition!) so JB saying he’s gonna be here next year is the best Cobbs news I’ve heard for some time.
Impressive stat about his tackling percentage as well - considering we’re 21st in the league!
Good news indeed.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 14:09:33 pm »

Very happy with this, might have been a chance to see the club be proactive and maybe offer him something longer than just the option year though.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 14:17:32 pm by Winslow Lee » Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 14:12:17 pm »

Great news.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 14:30:46 pm »

A ray of sunshine, as the dark clouds descend!
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 14:44:42 pm »

Isn't that because his second touch is normally a tackle?  Tongue Cool
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest3338

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 15:47:03 pm »

Isn't that because his second touch is normally a tackle?  Tongue Cool
Not having the ball a lot as a team must also help with tackling stats!
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 17:40:30 pm »

Brilliant news! Shaun is one of our most important players - perhaps only behind Lloyd Jones who has been a level above the rest since Brady started in my opinion.

Let’s hope that we have similar options in the contracts for Lloyd and Ryan Watson. I’d also hope that we are trying to tie Chuck to a professional deal. His talent merits a solid first team salary and that coupled with regular starting game time next season could secure his future here
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 19:59:18 pm »

Brilliant news! Shaun is one of our most important players - perhaps only behind Lloyd Jones who has been a level above the rest since Brady started in my opinion.

This. L Jones is the next priority IMO. The defensive unit of Horsfall and Jones with McWilliams in front of them gives us an excellent spine.

Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 22:37:02 pm »

This. L Jones is the next priority IMO. The defensive unit of Horsfall and Jones with McWilliams in front of them gives us an excellent spine.

100% agree, 2 year deal, we could even make a few quid, won’t happen though he will demand too higher wages.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 23:05:39 pm »

Sick of writing +1 against your posts.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
guest2995

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 06:16:54 am »

as i have said previously , i can’t see Lloyd Jones or Watson staying .
Both will stay in league 1 and we missed the boat securing LJ IMO .
Report Spam   Logged
Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
Linux User Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 07:17:40 am »

Why do we hardly ever have options in the clubs favour, L Jones a prime example...

He was without a club, we give him a short term deal, surely if he does well we should have made sure we get first dibs...Peterborough do it successfully all the bloomin time!

Still, least we've got BAS & Smith for another season  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 07:51:14 am »

Why do we hardly ever have options in the clubs favour, L Jones a prime example...

He was without a club, we give him a short term deal, surely if he does well we should have made sure we get first dibs...Peterborough do it successfully all the bloomin time!

Still, least we've got BAS & Smith for another season  Roll Eyes
Do you know we havent?
I 'm clearly in a cynical mood this morning... I hope this is an honest statement but could also be the club warning interested clubs he wont be cheap and pushing the price up.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 09:03:10 am »

I guess it’s down to players whether they allow clubs to put contract extensions in the clubs favour. It’s clearly not good for the player, if they’re playing well and have a chance to get a better deal elsewhere then the club extends the deal if they are playing poorly they get released. Clubs who pay top dollar in fees and wages like Manchester United and by league 1 standards Peterborough I guess have more bargaining power.
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2021, 14:44:59 pm »

Do you know we havent?
I 'm clearly in a cynical mood this morning... I hope this is an honest statement but could also be the club warning interested clubs he wont be cheap and pushing the price up.

Clubs can approach players over 24 and over (could be 25, don't hold me to that) as soon as they enter the final month of their current contract. If they agree a new contract with them, the player will move on at the end of their current deal, and no fee is required to be paid.

Put simply, if we don't have an extension clause and bigger clubs come calling, it will be our own fault for not extending his deal before the final month of his deal. His agent, who the clubs will approach him through, certainly won't hold the clubs bluff about whether or not there is a clause - they will tell the club he is free to move, if that is the case.

For once it would be nice for the club to be proactive in protecting its assets. In Lloyd Jones, Horsfall, McWilliams, Watson, and arguably a couple of others, we have the basis of a really good League Two side in my opinion. I really hope that as soon as our fate for this season is sealed, the manager outcome (contract signed, done) is made within one week, no more! Then get L. Jones, McWilliams and Watson all signed up. Yes they might want a sizeable pay increase but they have earned it and proved that they are capable of thriving in League One and we could certainly rely of them to perform strongly next year. If KT lets things drag on and important players go, well can anyone say he isn't to blame if we start next season poorly? And how many of recent years have we started well? I'd say it's more frequent that we start badly?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 14:48:05 pm by OCoole » Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2021, 15:37:31 pm »

Clubs can approach players over 24 and over (could be 25, don't hold me to that) as soon as they enter the final month of their current contract. If they agree a new contract with them, the player will move on at the end of their current deal, and no fee is required to be paid.

Put simply, if we don't have an extension clause and bigger clubs come calling, it will be our own fault for not extending his deal before the final month of his deal. His agent, who the clubs will approach him through, certainly won't hold the clubs bluff about whether or not there is a clause - they will tell the club he is free to move, if that is the case.

For once it would be nice for the club to be proactive in protecting its assets. In Lloyd Jones, Horsfall, McWilliams, Watson, and arguably a couple of others, we have the basis of a really good League Two side in my opinion. I really hope that as soon as our fate for this season is sealed, the manager outcome (contract signed, done) is made within one week, no more! Then get L. Jones, McWilliams and Watson all signed up. Yes they might want a sizeable pay increase but they have earned it and proved that they are capable of thriving in League One and we could certainly rely of them to perform strongly next year. If KT lets things drag on and important players go, well can anyone say he isn't to blame if we start next season poorly? And how many of recent years have we started well? I'd say it's more frequent that we start badly?

Agreed in principle, but it all depends on those players agreeing to sign the contract extension.
The player has the power, not the club.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 15:54:18 pm »

Agreed in principle, but it all depends on those players agreeing to sign the contract extension.
The player has the power, not the club.

It would be nice though for the club with players like L Jones & Watson who have been some of our better players to come out and say because of the level of performance we have offered them contract extensions now. If they don’t sign they don’t sign but just show you are being proactive. The uncertainty about the manager probably puts a spanner in it this time but our contract extensions always seem a bit shambolic and left to the very last minute.
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 16:06:21 pm »

It would be nice though for the club with players like L Jones & Watson who have been some of our better players to come out and say because of the level of performance we have offered them contract extensions now. If they don’t sign they don’t sign but just show you are being proactive. The uncertainty about the manager probably puts a spanner in it this time but our contract extensions always seem a bit shambolic and left to the very last minute.

Exactly. Both seem to be enjoying their football under Brady. And at the end of the day money talks - if we offer them 30-40% increases on what they currently earn, I can't see them turning it down.

Smaller, high quality squads are the answer. Depth can come from the youth team and loans!
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 16:15:18 pm »

Exactly. Both seem to be enjoying their football under Brady. And at the end of the day money talks - if we offer them 30-40% increases on what they currently earn, I can't see them turning it down.

Smaller, high quality squads are the answer. Depth can come from the youth team and loans!

not sure any player this year has earned themselves a pay increase at all - let alone one as ridiculous as suggested here.

madness.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: