The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 22:20:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

He’s one of own ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He’s one of own ...  (Read 3655 times)
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2021, 21:44:14 pm »

In the event we had signed Oliver on big money and he had scored 4 goals again this season with us in the relegation zone, the board would be getting crucified. The managerial/chairman roles are an absolute piece of pi55 after the event. If my decisions were made on that basis I’d be buying the club and financing our exploits into the champions league.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2021, 22:42:39 pm »

I wasn't advocating keeping him, just pointing out that if we'd have scored a few more, as we should have, his errors wouln't have  been nearly quite so costly. He's also kept us in a few games too.
I really can't remember Mitchell making a save that I thought "Wow that was good", I will confess that I haven't watched all the away matches but all I can remember are routine saves or like against Ipswich where the guy hit it straight at him. I would be interested on which games you think "he's kept us in it"
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2021, 23:07:12 pm »

I reckon the general consensus of opinion on a forum such as this is a fairly good measure of a player? In the case of Mitchell that would make him below average IMO. That doesn’t mean they’re incapable of turning in a decent performance or going on to become a decent player? The problem is can a club such as ours afford to facilitate the development of a player on that basis? I think if a player is consistently punching below their weight then you can’t afford to play them, as in the case of Bolger. The real dilemma for us is we have 2 keepers both having the same argument levelled against them? Strikers with a below average scoring record and keepers turning in a below average performance, over the course of a season the writing is on the wall isn’t it?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2021, 06:50:22 am »

I really can't remember Mitchell making a save that I thought "Wow that was good", I will confess that I haven't watched all the away matches but all I can remember are routine saves or like against Ipswich where the guy hit it straight at him. I would be interested on which games you think "he's kept us in it"
MK Dons was one game where he really cost us as was Swindon, horrible keeping.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2021, 10:16:13 am »

Ill go against the tidal wave of Mitchell slating, and back up my original post...

Firstly I've seen far far worse from a regular keeper. Turley, Dunn (for a long time), Sherwood (good God!), Archer (he actually went on to become a decent keeper afterwards) to name a few. Turley was far more instrumental in our relegation from this division that season, than Mitchell has been (assuming of course) this season. I accept its subjective, but for me Mitchell has some decent attributes, however he did make a series of 'high profile' errors during a run of games against our rivals at the bottom end of the division. That said, across the season, he's not made the amount of howlers that people seem to suggest he has. I've seen him blamed for practically every single goal we concede, many of which were clearly not his fault!!

Deepcut made this point on another thread a few days/weeks ago which I found interesting. I've also usually got Saturday Jeff on the TV every Saturday whilst I watch our game on the i-pad (bloody i player thing still doesn't link up!!), and the amount of shocking goalkeeping errors I see EVERY week (especially in the lower leagues) is very telling. Many far worse than the very worst of Mitchells errors (Swindon away for me being the pick).

Getting a good keeper is never easy but if you crack it you are half way there...interesting to read only yesterday that the Cheltenham keeper is attracting premiership interest, he's on loan from WBA. 19 years old, played every game for them I think this season. If they had had say Arnold in goal, an average league2 keeper imo, would they have just been promoted or would they be sitting in or around the playoffs? Adam Smith was brilliant for us when we won league2. We've also had excellent goalkeepers each time we've been promoted previously in recent times, and shall we say 'suspect ones' each time we've been relegated! This time round though Id be far more inclined to blame our likely relegation on our goal scoring problems, the stats speak for themselves on that matter.

Id be more than comfortable if Mitchell is retained on a sensible salary (he's still a good age and could improve as well), but its obvious that we need an upgrade if we are to be a force in league2 next season. (assuming we don't pull off a miracle but needing a keeper then would be even more vital!). Arnold is 31 now, has developed a long term injury problem, and is going to be on decent money so its a no brainer to say thanks and good luck to him.

Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2021, 10:55:25 am »

I see Lee Nicholls is out of contract at MK, he’s been replaced by Fisher (another former cobblers loanee) there, doubt he’d want to stay as a number 2, still only 28 maybe worth a shout?.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2021, 11:36:34 am »

In the event we had signed Oliver on big money and he had scored 4 goals again this season with us in the relegation zone, the board would be getting crucified. The managerial/chairman roles are an absolute piece of pi55 after the event. If my decisions were made on that basis I’d be buying the club and financing our exploits into the champions league.

Get the Grays Sports Almanac, it worked for Biff  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2021, 11:48:59 am »

I see Lee Nicholls is out of contract at MK, he’s been replaced by Fisher (another former cobblers loanee) there, doubt he’d want to stay as a number 2, still only 28 maybe worth a shout?.
That’s a very good shout, Lee Nichols is a very competent keeper.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2021, 12:03:50 pm »

If the option is Lee Nichols, or Mitchell, I can be at Bletchley in 20 mins from and will gladly pick Lee up.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2021, 12:25:58 pm »

Without wishing to scapegoat anyone - and don’t get me wrong several others have been just as bad - KC’s recruitment of goalkeeper has been a major contributing factor to our impending relegation. Mitchell is one of the worst first choice keepers that I have seen in my 35 years of supporting the Cobblers and we need to steer well clear when looking at permanent goalkeepers in the Summer if we have any hopes on going back up.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3429

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2021, 12:50:15 pm »

Ill go against the tidal wave of Mitchell slating, and back up my original post...

Firstly I've seen far far worse from a regular keeper. Sherwood (good God!)

Scunthorpe away. Good god?  Jesus fucking Christ more like!

Peter Gleasure today is better than Mitchell.

Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2021, 15:31:16 pm »

That’s a very good shout, Lee Nichols is a very competent keeper.
I'll go with this as well
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: