The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 13:23:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Summer 2021 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer 2021 Transfer Window  (Read 204429 times)
guest49

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #300 on: May 19, 2021, 20:05:19 pm »

The only thing about Luke is that he's been at Ipswich for 9 years so he's probably got kids in school, he could well be settled in Suffolk.

Which gives him the option of Colchester and errrr....Felixstowe?! They do school from home these days  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #301 on: May 20, 2021, 08:02:43 am »

The only thing about Luke is that he's been at Ipswich for 9 years so he's probably got kids in school, he could well be settled in Suffolk.
A14, A45.
Players travel a lot further than a couple of hours. I would have thought, Cobblers, Cambridge, Stevenage, MK, Southend, P*sh... would all be good for his family life.
Who wants him, who can afford him and what level does he want to play at will be key though. I would guess only P*sh could get close to his current salary but doesnt match their recruitment policy. Cant see him going non league, cant see Cambridge getting close to a salary so between us and MK. Assuming either want him.

I'd offer a 2 year contract and pay for his coaching badges, or a journalism course etc
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #302 on: May 20, 2021, 08:12:22 am »

A14, A45.
Players travel a lot further than a couple of hours. I would have thought, Cobblers, Cambridge, Stevenage, MK, Southend, P*sh... would all be good for his family life.
Who wants him, who can afford him and what level does he want to play at will be key though. I would guess only P*sh could get close to his current salary but doesnt match their recruitment policy. Cant see him going non league, cant see Cambridge getting close to a salary so between us and MK. Assuming either want him.

I'd offer a 2 year contract and pay for his coaching badges, or a journalism course etc

It would firmly frame our place in the football world as a club who gets a player on their way up, or way back down. That's why it's so exciting when we see the likes of JJOT, Bayo and Ricky Holmes playing some of their best stuff.
Out of the ex players I'd be happy to see him back.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #303 on: May 20, 2021, 08:29:59 am »

I love the fact we discuss why players who have been released by other clubs won’t sign for us,  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #304 on: May 20, 2021, 08:52:17 am »

Not being funny, I really liked Chambers when we had him and I've followed his career with interest. He's done really well and been a very good player.

He's 35 though. When you get into that territory you start to get an increasing amount of niggling injuries that take longer to heal, as we've seen in recent seasons with McCormack and Sheehan; great players who really add to the team when they play but if you look at them in a cost-per-game basis I suspect they don't offer great value for money.

As much as my heart says it would be lovely to see him back to finish his career where it started, I can't help but think our money would be better spent elsewhere.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #305 on: May 20, 2021, 09:00:11 am »

I take your point but he’s not been injury prone throughout his career and we’re desperate for a sprinkling of “old heads” and leaders. Thiago Silva hasn’t done bad for Chelsea and he’s older than Chambers?
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #306 on: May 20, 2021, 09:49:53 am »

I take your point but he’s not been injury prone throughout his career and we’re desperate for a sprinkling of “old heads” and leaders. Thiago Silva hasn’t done bad for Chelsea and he’s older than Chambers?

Exactly, 700+ games! We must have realistic expectations on the kind of players we can attract. He could still be way outside of our affordability so maybe a pointless target. He may even decide to retire, he must have a tidy pension, who knows?!
I'm sure he'd do a great job for us, a leader, potential captain and would definitely ping a measured ball rather than the usual hoof we are used to.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #307 on: May 20, 2021, 10:13:04 am »

Exactly, 700+ games! We must have realistic expectations on the kind of players we can attract. He could still be way outside of our affordability so maybe a pointless target. He may even decide to retire, he must have a tidy pension, who knows?!
I'm sure he'd do a great job for us, a leader, potential captain and would definitely ping a measured ball rather than the usual hoof we are used to.
I'm sure he's built up a tidy pot over the years. If he still feels an affinity with the club he may comeback but I dont think it'll be for the wages we can offer. What's his desire for football like?
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #308 on: May 20, 2021, 10:28:31 am »

If Colchester are interested in him we would, surely, have to offer substantially more with them being 15 minutes from Ipswich and us 2 hours, unless he is thinking of moving house.
Report Spam   Logged
cox23jam

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #309 on: May 20, 2021, 10:31:31 am »

IF L Jones re-signs is there a need for Chambers and would he be willing to be back-up? As surely Brady would continue with Horsfall and Jones as his preferred CB's
Report Spam   Logged

HOTEL END PREDICTION LEAGUE CHAMPION 2014/15, 2021/22
HOTEL END GTA CHAMPION 2021/22
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 20, 2021, 10:34:25 am »

Am I missing something, why do we want a 35 year old ex player, 36 in  the early part of next season, we’ve just had a couple of those all be-it not ex players, who managed a few games between them.
Sign Lloyd Jones and get a young lad in who maybe we can make some money for running costs out of.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #311 on: May 20, 2021, 10:39:55 am »

Am I missing something, why do we want a 35 year old ex player, 36 in  the early part of next season, we’ve just had a couple of those all be-it not ex players, who managed a few games between them.
Sign Lloyd Jones and get a young lad in who maybe we can make some money for running costs out of.
Yes I'd like to see Lloyd Jones signed but if he decides to move I think Luke would be a very good signing for a year. It's a bit harsh comparing him to McCormack & Sheehan who were both injury prone before they came, Chambers doesn't have that label.
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #312 on: May 20, 2021, 10:52:48 am »

For the amount of money that Chambers would likely ask coming from a club like Ipswich, if we have that money it should be given to Lloyd Jones.

At this stage of their careers Jones is the better player and by the end of next season the difference will be even more evident as Chambers will be 36.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #313 on: May 20, 2021, 11:32:43 am »

I really hope that we are not even considering signing a 35 year old, regardless of his injury history, as it has not proved particularly successful in recent seasons. That would also apply to Nugent who has been often touted on here.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #314 on: May 20, 2021, 11:51:33 am »

For the amount of money that Chambers would likely ask coming from a club like Ipswich, if we have that money it should be given to Lloyd Jones.

At this stage of their careers Jones is the better player and by the end of next season the difference will be even more evident as Chambers will be 36.

This. 100%.

The biggest mistake we make year in year out is building a team to get promoted (yes, we do get promoted or come close fairly often from league2), and then once up, having to adapt to league1 with a totally different team. Calderwood took us up with the likes of Taylor, Jess, Dyche etc.

Its alright having one or two, experience is very important. But we always end up having loads of 30plus players!

Spend the £ elsewhere on the team. Chambers wouldn't touch us for less than 2 grand a week, why should he? Unless of course he lives in or near Northampton. Great player for us and he's been a great player since, but lets not forget a bang average league1 club has released him so he cant be that bloody good any more can he?!!
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 20, 2021, 12:43:28 pm »

The other point is that Lloyd Jones could be worth a decent sum of money to us halfway through a 2 year contract or so whilst Chambers will be worthless.

An easy choice for us if that's the choice we have to make.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #316 on: May 20, 2021, 12:51:39 pm »

It’s interesting that according to Wikipedia L Jones has only made 95 career appearances at the age of 25 - he really needs to kick on now and we have given him the opportunity and the captaincy to boot.  I just hope he’s listening to the right people.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 20, 2021, 13:05:43 pm »

So that’s it then, we’ve made a decision, we are not going to sign Chambers, who was not going to sign anyway, we are going to sign Lloyd Jones, who also isn’t going to sign.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
With purpose like this you can see the need for a committee.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest3429

« Reply #318 on: May 20, 2021, 13:11:02 pm »

So that’s it then, we’ve made a decision, we are not going to sign Chambers, who was not going to sign anyway, we are going to sign Lloyd Jones, who also isn’t going to sign.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
With purpose like this you can see the need for a committee.

Grin

I would only like to pointlessly add to the pointless debate that Luke Chambers missus family have property here and still live in the County I do believe.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #319 on: May 20, 2021, 13:13:23 pm »

But perhaps he wants to keep a safe distance from the mother-in-law.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: