The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 11:58:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Summer 2021 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer 2021 Transfer Window  (Read 203812 times)
guest49

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #940 on: June 11, 2021, 12:33:55 pm »

The 3 new signings are all over 6ft tall,

Flying keepers?  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #941 on: June 11, 2021, 12:38:48 pm »

The 3 new signings are all over 6ft tall, are we going back to adopting KC's aerial attack tactics?
Eardley was very good when we had him on loan and that would have been the time to sign him. However, we had 2 right backs ( Moloney and Phillips) who were both out injured so it was not going to happen. His best days are behind him.

Eardley wasn't on loan. Rob Page signed him in January 2017 until the end of that season. He wasn't offered a new contract and signed for Lincoln City where he impressed with his assists.
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler151

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Search
« Reply #942 on: June 11, 2021, 13:04:47 pm »

I must have missed the interview where it mentioned we were taking a more data lead approach. I enjoy looking at the data occasionally so had a look at some extremely basic criteria to see where Lewis featured against his peers last season. There were 72 players that played more than 2000 minutes in CDM/CM/. All the stats I look at are pro rata'd to per 90 minutes.

There are a ton of things that come into it such as style of play etc, but these are just the raw numbers as may be of some interest to someone.

Lewis played in a variety of positions last season. 548 mins at CAM, ST for 238, and 2545 in CM/CDM. 5 of his 6 league goals actually came from when he was playing in CM which is interesting so that is why I am comparing him to other CM's as thats where he logged is most minutes.

Of those the ones where Lewis features very highly is Aerial duels he featured in the 4th most of those players at 8.95 a game (average of 4.3).His win percentage was 47.08% which is about 3% better than average.

His XG (expected goals I know is hated by some) was 6th in the league from CM at 0.22 per game (average was 0.08).

Other main positive, touches of the ball in the box he ranked 5th of the CM's in L2 last season.

So a midfielder who is aerially combative and has the ability to chip in with the odd goal. His passing stats are very low in terms of volumes so does not seen to particularly dictate play, especially in a Tranmere side that had a lot of the ball. He attempted very low numbers and the average length of those passes was the lowest of the sample size.

Would rather see him at CM I think and arrive late than play further forward ALA where we put Watson last season. Unlikely to create a large amount judging from his figures, not exactly expansive in his passing. But at this level I dont think that is an issue, get the ball to our creative players and get in the box!

We know Sean is fantastic at this level at interceptions, tackles etc which will hopefully allow Lewis to get forward where he seems to be good at coming into the box, bodies in the box is something we never seemed to do well at last season so I see the benefit.

So does he jump off the page as a marquee signing, not really. Could he be a solid player that could get us 6-8 goals from midfield, yes. With so many more additions to come seems fine to me, no reason to meltdown at the very least!

Great post. Keep them coming, and agree, does not look like a bad signing
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #943 on: June 11, 2021, 13:40:08 pm »

It's all a **** **** at this level. We'll see 5 weeks into the season how the team is, might be great, might be awful, might be mediocore. Until then the speculation is almost as wrong as it is right.

Hailed as good signings last year: Joseph Mills, Luke Racic, Cian Bolger, Benny Ashley-Seal
Met with  Huh? : Missilou, Horsfall, Ricky Korboa
Met with drab enthusiasm : Loyd Jones, Nuttall

So, basically no correlation whatsoever between what we thought of the signings and how they got on.

Rose & Sowerby we’re both hailed by many as good signings too last year but ended up being poor.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #944 on: June 11, 2021, 15:06:14 pm »

Just an observation but was I the only one who wasn’t overly impressed with Rico first time around? I seem to remember him scoring 4 in a game but other than that I thought he was a bit average. Different story the second time he turned up. Anyway, the point is some of these more mature players do seem to get better with age.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
West Stand

View Profile
500 Posts Search Combination
« Reply #945 on: June 11, 2021, 15:11:34 pm »

We were in for Agard last summer, if my memory is correct he failed the medical.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #946 on: June 11, 2021, 15:31:24 pm »

Cornell leaves Ipswich by mutual consent. Altogether now, "He's coming home, he's coming home, he's coming, Cornell's coming home!"
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: June 11, 2021, 16:29:25 pm »

Cornell leaves Ipswich by mutual consent. Altogether now, "He's coming home, he's coming home, he's coming, Cornell's coming home!"

This article suggests he is attracting Championship interest.

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/cornell-leaves-town-by-mutual-consent-8052670
Report Spam   Logged
ntfclad

View Profile
Windows User Search Combination
« Reply #948 on: June 11, 2021, 16:58:10 pm »

He’s got the hardest working agent in football
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler151

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Search
« Reply #949 on: June 11, 2021, 17:07:57 pm »

My least favorite cobblers player in the 28 years I have supported them.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #950 on: June 11, 2021, 17:14:16 pm »

We were in for Agard last summer, if my memory is correct he failed the medical.

And he missed MK's pre-season with a knee injury which then kept him out for a few months. Fell out of favour with new MK manager Russel Martin and never made it back into the team save for a Pizza Cup match against Norwich U-21's which he played in and scored twice. That's his only game since January 2020.

375 appearances and 106 goals is a ratio not to be sniffed at....i'm sure someone will give him a chance.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #951 on: June 11, 2021, 17:56:56 pm »

Remember that season when we signed those top quality players Van Veen, Crooks, Pierre, Grimes and Long?

That was a memorable time.

The problem with that squad was no-one bothered to do due diligence on their character (another classic recruitment trap which we have occasionally fallen into). That squad was the exact inverse of last year's squad: lots of talent but no fight or work-rate. There was a massive imbalance which could have been corrected with the addition of some genuine leaders. If we'd had an Alan McCormack type alongside Crooks and Grimes and a Rico type to keep Van Ego in check then we might have made the play-offs with that group.

Great post by lordjord - give him the job as data analyst. Looks like we'll be alright with Lewis as long as we don't expect him to be a playmaker/assist maker type. Can Sowerby play that role at L2 level? We will see.

Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #952 on: June 11, 2021, 18:17:53 pm »

Harsh...pretty confident we would have survived if he was between the sticks last season. Saying that we would have if my Gran played....and she died in 1986.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #953 on: June 11, 2021, 18:49:57 pm »

Damn, we have failed to keep last seasons strike force intact. Ryan Edmondson has gone on a season long loan to Fleetwood.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #954 on: June 11, 2021, 19:04:22 pm »

Of those the ones where Lewis features very highly is Aerial duels he featured in the 4th most of those players at 8.95 a game (average of 4.3).His win percentage was 47.08% which is about 3% better than average.
Someone explain please... If he only won 47.08% of his aerial contests thats less than half, so how can that be good, and how can that be 3% percent better than average?
Is there more than just 'won' and 'lost' when it comes to aerial challenges?
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #955 on: June 11, 2021, 19:43:46 pm »

Someone explain please... If he only won 47.08% of his aerial contests thats less than half, so how can that be good, and how can that be 3% percent better than average?

Just maths and weighting. Assume there are a few players in the 60%+ with the average less than 50%.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #956 on: June 11, 2021, 19:44:09 pm »

Because the average of headers won by an individual player in L2 is 44%, so he wins slightly more, the Ariel duals are with numerous opponents hence 44% being the mean average.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #957 on: June 11, 2021, 19:47:32 pm »

I think lj means for CMs... bear in mind they're aerials against CBs, WBs, etc. So the average for CMs could be 44% won but Lewis won 47% of his duels
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #958 on: June 11, 2021, 19:53:27 pm »

Yeah but 41% of the headers have been wide and 17% of the players who have achieved over 52% of the second balls had honey nut clusters for brekky.
Report Spam   Logged
lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #959 on: June 11, 2021, 20:21:12 pm »

I think lj means for CMs... bear in mind they're aerials against CBs, WBs, etc. So the average for CMs could be 44% won but Lewis won 47% of his duels

Nicely summarised  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: