The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 09:51:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Summer 2021 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer 2021 Transfer Window  (Read 203780 times)
guest3338

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #960 on: June 11, 2021, 20:30:58 pm »

I get the mean median mode bit, and the categorizing of players into midfielders, defenders, strikers etc, but he still wins less than half of his contested headers (if the data is correct). For every central defender he challenges he might also challenge a pip squeak fullback or a Daniel Powell?
And if he wins less than he loses then should he be challenging for it in the first place?
If I was winning less than i was losing when there's only two outcomes (against players in the same league), I wouldnt want any bragging about how good I was no matter who I was contesting it with.
But I get the theory, thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
claretparrot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #961 on: June 11, 2021, 21:09:18 pm »

I get the mean median mode bit, and the categorizing of players into midfielders, defenders, strikers etc, but he still wins less than half of his contested headers (if the data is correct). For every central defender he challenges he might also challenge a pip squeak fullback or a Daniel Powell?
And if he wins less than he loses then should he be challenging for it in the first place?
If I was winning less than i was losing when there's only two outcomes (against players in the same league), I wouldnt want any bragging about how good I was no matter who I was contesting it with.

Look at it this way. If every player was the same height and just as good at winning headers, you'd expect them all to win 50%.

Assume the average CM is less skilled at winning headers than the average defender and the average striker, and you start to see how 47% could be quite good.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #962 on: June 11, 2021, 21:28:09 pm »

Look at it this way. If every player was the same height and just as good at winning headers, you'd expect them all to win 50%.

Assume the average CM is less skilled at winning headers than the average defender and the average striker, and you start to see how 47% could be quite good.
Yeah but only s*** players head balls...decent ones kick them!
So 47%...hmmm, over to CJ!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #963 on: June 12, 2021, 08:26:58 am »

Defender next - I PRESUME
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #964 on: June 12, 2021, 08:31:25 am »

Defender next - I PRESUME
Or a Keeper 😉
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #965 on: June 12, 2021, 08:59:08 am »

My least favorite cobblers player in the 28 years I have supported them.

Astonishing comment when if he had stayed it might have gained us 3/4 points (includes MK game). Would not be too surprised if JB resigned him.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 12, 2021, 09:15:10 am »

I think CP is right or at the very least convincing in his interpretation of LJ figures. At a guess you might have missed the point which is comparing Lewis % of headers against defenders. Another thing what LJ figures suggest is that Lewis is brave and determined in midfield? If that is the case it might justify JB’s enthusiasm in getting Lewis on board. Right character and all that!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 09:19:57 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

lordjord

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 12, 2021, 09:18:29 am »

I think you would be surprised at how dominant the CB's are in comparison (especially in L2), plenty in the 60+/70+. Think of the other CM's we have has in the past, a number are quite small in stature and dont really attempt to win the ball, just try and jump and use their body to put off the opponent.. If they managed to win 50% in the air I would be delighted, they cant bail out of it because they are unlikely to win it. But as the numbers go up you are involved in its obviously more impressive to maintain a better win rate.

Understand it does not seem like a positive at all though, context is always important which I did not really add. Just checked Daniel Powell also, challenged for just over 2 a game and barely won 20%, guess that's why he's a winger and not a forward!

Its also true though that data can be construed in a number of ways, he could turn out to be awful haha. As I say I am not expecting world beater, but solid squad option who can get us the odd goal, yes. But the proof will be in the pudding, no better way to find out than watching him in the flesh!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 09:24:04 am by lordjord » Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 12, 2021, 09:26:45 am »

I think you would be surprised at how dominant the CB's are in comparison (especially in L2), plenty in the 60+/70+. Think of the other CM's we have on our books, McWilliams, Pollock, Sowerby. If they managed to win 50% in the air I would be delighted, they cant bail out of it because they are unlikely to win it. But as the numbers go up you are involved in its obviously more impressive to maintain a better win rate.

Understand it does not seem like a positive at all though, context is always important which I did not really add. Just checked Daniel Powell also, challenged for just over 2 a game and barely won 20%, guess that's why he's a winger and not a forward!

Which is a good example of a player lacking the determination to win (any) header. Some on here criticised Powell that for a player with an imposing physique he lacked determination.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 12, 2021, 09:35:18 am »

He’s got the hardest working agent in football

Heard whispers on Innis of Charlton signing.  Fee involved. Any comment?
Report Spam   Logged

BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #970 on: June 12, 2021, 09:41:19 am »

You'd have to think that a lot of the time midfielders are challenging for aerial balls that they want to flick on or where it's coming over their heads. Defenders are generally just heading balls away that are coming straight at them.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #971 on: June 12, 2021, 10:39:57 am »

Or a Keeper 😉
I Presume was a clue.... that’s the annoying thing to do on this thread
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 10:41:36 am by Clarity » Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #972 on: June 12, 2021, 10:59:33 am »

Heard whispers on Innis of Charlton signing.  Fee involved. Any comment?
I remember watching him when we played Charlton and feeling gutted that we'd lost out of him. Not sure why'd they let him go, other than he seems to be coming out of a long term injury.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #973 on: June 12, 2021, 13:06:15 pm »

I think you would be surprised at how dominant the CB's are in comparison (especially in L2), plenty in the 60+/70+. Think of the other CM's we have has in the past, a number are quite small in stature and dont really attempt to win the ball, just try and jump and use their body to put off the opponent.. If they managed to win 50% in the air I would be delighted, they cant bail out of it because they are unlikely to win it. But as the numbers go up you are involved in its obviously more impressive to maintain a better win rate.

Its also true though that data can be construed in a number of ways, he could turn out to be awful haha. As I say I am not expecting world beater, but solid squad option who can get us the odd goal, yes. But the proof will be in the pudding, no better way to find out than watching him in the flesh!
So I suppose in the case of central midfielders, if you could isolate those duels contested only against another CM, you should arrive at a more convincing stat for how effective they actually are in comparison to each other.
Might provide someone with a job?
Report Spam   Logged
lordjord

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 12, 2021, 13:11:29 pm »

So I suppose in the case of central midfielders, if you could isolate those duels contested only against another CM, you should arrive at a more convincing stat for how effective they actually are in comparison to each other.
Might provide someone with a job?

Absolutely! I imagine their is a data source out there somewhere. But I have neither the time nor do I care enough to do so haha.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #975 on: June 12, 2021, 17:13:47 pm »

Absolutely! I imagine their is a data source out there somewhere. But I have neither the time nor do I care enough to do so haha.
Marouane Felaine was quite good in the air, wonder what his stats looked like?
Any chance our guy is our league two equivalent?!
Report Spam   Logged
lordjord

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 12, 2021, 17:33:04 pm »

Marouane Felaine was quite good in the air, wonder what his stats looked like?
Any chance our guy is our league two equivalent?!

I think its safe to say he is not the league two equivalent haha Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #977 on: June 12, 2021, 17:58:51 pm »

Who gives a fukc about stats? I had a decade of filling in time sheets, being followed around by time and motion men, and having my wages cut.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #978 on: June 12, 2021, 18:12:00 pm »

Who gives a fukc about stats? I had a decade of filling in time sheets, being followed around by time and motion men, and having my wages cut.

Apparently the time and motion people did!  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #979 on: June 12, 2021, 19:43:03 pm »

Astonishing comment when if he had stayed it might have gained us 3/4 points (includes MK game). Would not be too surprised if JB resigned him.
Astonishing, given the number of shockers we've had between the sticks over the years...never mind outfield duds...oh and more recently, a certain Mr Mitchell!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: