The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 14:23:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Mitchell

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mitchell  (Read 4383 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2021, 10:39:22 am »

He's a professional footballer, when he set off on that path he chose to put himself between the sticks, no one else. He made himself available for selection and was chosen by the manager. No one is scapegoating him, he simply wasnt good enough at his job. Who's fault it is that he was given the job is a different matter.

After the disappointing performance on Saturday quite a few on here made him their personal scapegoat! If you can’t see that that’s your inability to see the obvious. Overall Mitchell had a disappointing game on Saturday which cost us dearly but to level him as a scapegoat for our relegation is poor judgement I feel.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2995

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2021, 11:12:43 am »

Mitchell is not getting abuse , the facts about his performances are being highlighted .
It’s the same with BAS or Bolger or Edmondson .
None of them have been good enough for division 1.
The supporters say it , the manager says it and the press say it .
If you want to call that abuse , so be it but i call it a performance review in a results business .
Unless you work in a non performance related job , we all come under the same scrutiny .
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2021, 11:28:57 am »

Mitchell is not getting abuse , the facts about his performances are being highlighted .
If you want to call that abuse , so be it but i call it a performance review in a results business .
Unless you work in a non performance related job , we all come under the same scrutiny .

Is there such a thing as a non performance related job? Surely we are all* judged on our performance - be it as a cleaner, a CEO, or a League One goalkeeper!

* The exception being of course this government who do as they please without consequence
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2021, 11:31:33 am »

Is there such a thing as a non performance related job? Surely we are all* judged on our performance - be it as a cleaner, a CEO, or a League One goalkeeper!

* The exception being of course this government who do as they please without consequence
OMG, you will set Evers off with that last sentence  Tongue Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2021, 11:44:20 am »

Have you not realised yet, Nevers is only on here to disagree with what ever is posted.

He would try and argue black was white for a bit of attention.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2021, 13:05:09 pm »

Have you not realised yet, Nevers is only on here to disagree with what ever is posted.

He would try and argue black was white for a bit of attention.

I entirely disagree with a few on here who made Mitchell a scapegoat after Saturday’s Relegation and that includes probably you and Boots! Above assumptions are false so please withdraw them!
Report Spam   Logged

Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2021, 13:13:49 pm »

I have only just brought myself to watch the highlights from Saturday. it looked like a bad performance all round but

1st - How has he let him score from that angle into the far post
2nd - just didn't keep hold of the ball
3rd - Not his fault but it says a lot that 2 defenders dropped to the line having no faith in him to make the save.

I don't want to just tear into him personally but it was a poor recruitment to depend on him and a poor decision not to replace him when we had the chance in Jan. If we had a keeper of the quality of Bunn, O'donnell, Ingram, Duke, Nicholls, Smith, Gilks or Weale we would still be in division 3.

At one point in the season I am sure Mitchell conceded 5 goals from 6 shots. He wasn't helped by a constantly changing and shakey back line for most of the season but when you are struggling at the bottom a top class keeper can save you points on their own at times.
Report Spam   Logged

Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2021, 13:40:41 pm »

I respect all peoples opinions on here and am sure that my view points have been equally respected.

It is in my firm opinion, and I’ve given evidence to support this with my points lost on page 2, that lost points purely as a result of his goal keeping is why we have been relegated.

I wish him well as a person, and as a goal keeper hope he never plays for us again.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2021, 14:06:36 pm »

I respect all peoples opinions on here and am sure that my view points have been equally respected.

It is in my firm opinion, and I’ve given evidence to support this with my points lost on page 2, that lost points purely as a result of his goal keeping is why we have been relegated.

I wish him well as a person, and as a goal keeper hope he never plays for us again.

As always Dan true supporter and Gent👍🏻
Report Spam   Logged

guest3338

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2021, 14:20:06 pm »

After the disappointing performance on Saturday quite a few on here made him their personal scapegoat! If you can’t see that that’s your inability to see the obvious. Overall Mitchell had a disappointing game on Saturday which cost us dearly but to level him as a scapegoat for our relegation is poor judgement I feel.
Maybe it's me but I thought a scapegoat is someone who gets unfairly blamed for the mistakes of others?
I'm not doing that and nor is anyone else so far as Mitchell is concerned. Like others I'm suggesting that if he was of better quality he would have saved more shots and prevented more goals. That is his job and his job only, and if he had been more successful at it we would have stayed up, no question.
That's distinctly different from a teams inability to score goals and strikers being unfairly scapegoated for it when the problem is much deeper rooted.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2021, 16:07:24 pm »

Maybe it's me but I thought a scapegoat is someone who gets unfairly blamed for the mistakes of others?
I'm not doing that and nor is anyone else so far as Mitchell is concerned. Like others I'm suggesting that if he was of better quality he would have saved more shots and prevented more goals. That is his job and his job only, and if he had been more successful at it we would have stayed up, no question.
That's distinctly different from a teams inability to score goals and strikers being unfairly scapegoated for it when the problem is much deeper rooted.
Mitchell isn't good enough but he isn't alone.
We have scored 40 goals, the joint lowest in the league.
We conceded 66 which is the 3rd best out of the bottom 10.

I dont think its as simple as the highlighted bit
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2021, 16:10:15 pm »

I prefer to leave this now. In any case your opening sentence says it all Cool
At least two or three on here have lamented on Mitchell’s performance on Saturday but suggest it’s not all his fault for the relegation. Even Comrade SOG suggested it was unjust to blame him or words to that effect! As ever your opinion is paramount👍🏻
Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2021, 19:50:48 pm »

Absolutely!
The utter calamity of his howlers at Swindon and home to Burton Albion are as nailed on points down the drain as I've ever seen!
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2021, 21:46:34 pm »

Mitchell has been poor but he is certainly not the only one.
Jon Brady said on Saturday that Blackpool had a quality Goalkeeper and two forwards who knew how to put the ball in the net on a regular basis, he added that we simply don't have that and that's why we've been relegated.
Pretty much the end of the argument I think.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2021, 21:58:51 pm »

Jon Brady said on Saturday that Blackpool had a quality Goalkeeper and two forwards who knew how to put the ball in the net on a regular basis, he added that we simply don't have that and that's why we've been relegated.
Surely, having heard JB's post match interview, where he said "they should never have scored from that angle" quickly followed by "they have a quality keeper"  you can see is as clear a testament without actually naming him, what he thinks of Mitchell's performances!
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2021, 22:16:47 pm »

Surely, having heard JB's post match interview, where he said "they should never have scored from that angle" quickly followed by "they have a quality keeper"  you can see is as clear a testament without actually naming him, what he thinks of Mitchell's performances!

True, but normally when a goalkeeper is having a drop in form, drop in confidence or is just having a bad time of it, he is taken out of the firing line and replaced by another capable keeper from within the club.  Jonathan Mitchell hasn't been afforded that respite and has had to continue through one or all of those symptoms without any means of escape.
Yes, he hasn't been at the standard expected, I would guess that he has probably realised that himself, JB and his staff have almost definitely realised it but because of the injury to Steve Arnold, they have not had any option to do anything apart from putting an Academy player between the sticks who was born in May 2004!
Rather than continue to pour scorn and criticism on the goalkeeper, have a bit of sympathy and understanding as to the circumstances that have led to the situation that both he and JB were forced into.
You never know, under better circumstances he may prove to be a more than capable goalkeeper at wherever he ends up?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2021, 23:20:34 pm »

True, but normally when a goalkeeper is having a drop in form, drop in confidence or is just having a bad time of it, he is taken out of the firing line and replaced by another capable keeper from within the club.  Jonathan Mitchell hasn't been afforded that respite and has had to continue through one or all of those symptoms without any means of escape.
Yes, he hasn't been at the standard expected, I would guess that he has probably realised that himself, JB and his staff have almost definitely realised it but because of the injury to Steve Arnold, they have not had any option to do anything apart from putting an Academy player between the sticks who was born in May 2004!
Rather than continue to pour scorn and criticism on the goalkeeper, have a bit of sympathy and understanding as to the circumstances that have led to the situation that both he and JB were forced into.
You never know, under better circumstances he may prove to be a more than capable goalkeeper at wherever he ends up?

That's a nail on now Grin 
Surprised that Coolie has taken the blame route so emphatically - he is normally bit of a gent with genuine understanding of both player and game. Still I suppose relegation got to him as it did me!
Report Spam   Logged

guest2995

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2021, 07:39:17 am »

100% sums it up .
i don’t think the manager could really have said it any clearer !!
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2021, 08:30:37 am »

The lads confidence was probably shot to bits by having a slap dash defense in front of him for half the season, but again that's what you get for having an inexperienced keeper in a relegation battle.

He may well go on to bigger and better things like Jordan Arhcer but we have still paid the price for putting faith in a young inexperienced keeper.
Report Spam   Logged

singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2021, 08:46:50 am »

I'd like to see Brady drop Mitchell and a few others that he intends to get rid of and blood some of the youth players on saturday. It's not like we have anyhting to lose apart from pride and bragging rights and they went to the wall back as far as Christmas.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: