The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 18:40:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Who do we want to get promoted from the National League

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who do we want to get promoted from the National League  (Read 5887 times)
guest3359

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 13:15:12 pm »

Torquay. As others got a soft spot for them. From memory we won their once to seal the play offs and once to get automatic promotion (2000). Both times the harbour was a sea of claret and white and the sun beating down.

Almost impossible (might even be with the actual games to be played) but Boreham Wood. Can then bore (not intended) everyone with how I have played there a few times in my youth.  Kiss

edit: cant find the playoff game so must be mistaken. Im sure we have had 2 parties down in Devon though and celebrated on the pitch  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2021, 14:46:13 pm »

Whichever teams are the weakest with the highest likelihood of us taking 6 points from.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2021, 14:53:51 pm »

Whichever teams are the weakest with the highest likelihood of us taking 6 points from.

Were we on a few wish lists of current League two teams for the same reason?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 15:07:52 pm »

Zen Master, the weakest teams don't tend to be promoted,  they are normally relegated  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2021, 15:13:24 pm »

Torquay. As others got a soft spot for them. From memory we won their once to seal the play offs and once to get automatic promotion (2000). Both times the harbour was a sea of claret and white and the sun beating down.

Almost impossible (might even be with the actual games to be played) but Boreham Wood. Can then bore (not intended) everyone with how I have played there a few times in my youth.  Kiss

edit: cant find the playoff game so must be mistaken. Im sure we have had 2 parties down in Devon though and celebrated on the pitch  Huh?

How old are you? Lol!

We won there in the 1984/85 season, 6th May, it was the final game of the season, and we ended up finishing 23rd on 47 points, they finished 24th on 41 so if they had beaten us we would have finished bottom! That was still in the old re-election days and all the bottom four were re-elected for the following season.

We also won there on Easter Monday 1997, that was the first win in a seven game unbeaten run at the end of the season which eventually led to us making the playoffs and of course beating Swansea at Wembley to get promoted.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest3359

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2021, 15:39:12 pm »

How old are you? Lol!

We won there in the 1984/85 season, 6th May, it was the final game of the season, and we ended up finishing 23rd on 47 points, they finished 24th on 41 so if they had beaten us we would have finished bottom! That was still in the old re-election days and all the bottom four were re-elected for the following season.

We also won there on Easter Monday 1997, that was the first win in a seven game unbeaten run at the end of the season which eventually led to us making the playoffs and of course beating Swansea at Wembley to get promoted.
37   Undecided So that rules out 84/85  Grin
Might have been 97. I'm going for a lie down!

Last time I went we lost 3-0 on the opening game of the season. I remember that much
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 08:19:16 am »

How old are you? Lol!

Wasn't their chairman rather outspoken about us avoiding the drop at Kiddies expense that year? I thought there was a bit of bad feeling as a result of that, or is my brain getting as addled as Woodies apparently is?
I was there for the game in 97, stood by the corner flag. Agree with others it's a nice part of the country is that 'rivierra', for a long weekend.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2021, 08:22:50 am »

Mike Bateson.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2021, 17:05:14 pm »

Congratulations to Sutton United, who have secured promotion with a game to spare.

Torquay, Stockport, Hartlepool and Notts County are all already assured of a playoff place, with Wrexham, Chesterfield, Bromley, Eastleigh and FC Halifax Town all still in with a chance of joining them.

Eastleigh travel to Altrincham tomorrow night to use up their game in hand, a win would see them move up to 6th and knock Chesterfield out of the last spot. The last round of games wil then take place on Saturday, all 1230 kickoffs when the top 7 will be finalised.

The elimination matches will then take place the following weekend, 4th v 7th (3) and 5th v 6th (2). The winners of those games will then travel the next weekend to meet the teams finishing 2nd and 3rd and then the final the week after (20th June) to decide who goes up with Sutton. Due to Wembley being used for the Euros the final will be played at Ashton Gate, home of Bristol City.

The late finish to the National League season explains why the EFL fixtures for next season will be released a week later (on 24th June) than the Premier League fixtures (16th June)
Report Spam   Logged

Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2021, 18:10:34 pm »

Congratulations to Sutton United, who have secured promotion with a game to spare.

Torquay, Stockport, Hartlepool and Notts County are all already assured of a playoff place, with Wrexham, Chesterfield, Bromley, Eastleigh and FC Halifax Town all still in with a chance of joining them.

Eastleigh travel to Altrincham tomorrow night to use up their game in hand, a win would see them move up to 6th and knock Chesterfield out of the last spot. The last round of games wil then take place on Saturday, all 1230 kickoffs when the top 7 will be finalised.

The elimination matches will then take place the following weekend, 4th v 7th (3) and 5th v 6th (2). The winners of those games will then travel the next weekend to meet the teams finishing 2nd and 3rd and then the final the week after (20th June) to decide who goes up with Sutton. Due to Wembley being used for the Euros the final will be played at Ashton Gate, home of Bristol City.

The late finish to the National League season explains why the EFL fixtures for next season will be released a week later (on 24th June) than the Premier League fixtures (16th June)

The Horsham Cobblers are not too hacked off with Sutton away
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2021, 18:39:04 pm »

The Horsham Cobblers are not too hacked off with Sutton away

Nor I.
Eastleigh to join them wouldn't be too bad either.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2021, 18:51:44 pm »

Good to be getting trips to Nailsworth (Stroud ) and Birkenhead (Liverpool) again too!

Sutton's not great tbf! Contrary to what have been reading on social media from those who clearly haven't been... forget the station being a two minute walk away. It's an obscure line, requiring a change at Clapham Junction or somewhere, or at the main Sutton High Street station - which frankly, would be silly, the main station only being a 15 odd minute walk anyway!

Hoping for Stockport County to join them!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2021, 19:12:06 pm »

I've never been to Edgeley park. Trips to Stockport, Barrow, Sutton and Harrogate would be nice.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2021, 19:25:26 pm »

I've never been to Edgeley park. Trips to Stockport, Barrow, Sutton and Harrogate would be nice.

Trips to The Stadium of Light, Hillsborough, Portman Road and Stadium MK would have been nicer!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

guest3338

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2021, 20:21:00 pm »

Trips to The Stadium of Light, Hillsborough, Portman Road and Stadium MK would have been nicer!  Grin
That's one way of looking at it, and I've not been to Hillsborough either!
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2021, 20:31:44 pm »

That's one way of looking at it, and I've not been to Hillsborough either!

I don't know what I was doing but I didn't go to the FA Cup game there in 2010, previous to that we played there in 1976, 1966 and 1910.
Report Spam   Logged

Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2021, 06:38:32 am »

Notts County and Wrexham, it’s been way too long since we’ve chanted sheep sheep sheep sh@ggers  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2021, 08:01:00 am »

Good to be getting trips to Nailsworth (Stroud ) and Birkenhead (Liverpool) again too!

Sutton's not great tbf! Contrary to what have been reading on social media from those who clearly haven't been... forget the station being a two minute walk away. It's an obscure line, requiring a change at Clapham Junction or somewhere, or at the main Sutton High Street station - which frankly, would be silly, the main station only being a 15 odd minute walk anyway!

Hoping for Stockport County to join them!

Not if you live in Horsham  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2021, 15:11:28 pm »

Not if you live in Horsham  Grin
Yes, I get that it's relative to where you're coming from!  Grin
Point is though, the pubs are near the High Street station (Fullers pub immediate on exit) whereas the one closer to the ground is just residential!
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2021, 15:29:59 pm »

Ugh, add that to previous post of it being "good to get trips Nailsworth and Birkenhead again" I'm already done with next season.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: