The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 14:20:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The way forward.

Poll
Question: How would you like to see the club run?  (Voting closed: May 10, 2021, 14:30:01 pm)
As is with either KT/DB or A.N.Other at the helm? - 33 (58.9%)
Local/Fan ownership (where does the money come from?) - 10 (17.9%)
Phoenix club under fan/local ownership after the club goes tits up?? - 4 (7.1%)
Don't give a crap as long as we are playing in L1 or L2 - 9 (16.1%)
Total Voters: 50

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The way forward.  (Read 9651 times)
guest3359

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2021, 09:18:54 am »

The two questions or thoughts I have and cant get rid of are where does the money come from (as lots of others do) and would I want / trust any of the fans I know or the ones who post on here running the club? And I include myself in that.

That last one is a bit more open as I know this isn't LinkedIn or anything like that but very few people have the knowledge, skill or aptitude to run a successful business. Throw in to that the passion we all have for the club, would you really be able to look at things objectively? Fan representation at board meetings etc yes, but full ownership or 50+1 I'm not convinced by.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2021, 09:23:58 am »

The two questions or thoughts I have and cant get rid of are where does the money come from (as lots of others do) and would I want / trust any of the fans I know or the ones who post on here running the club? And I include myself in that.

That last one is a bit more open as I know this isn't LinkedIn or anything like that but very few people have the knowledge, skill or aptitude to run a successful business. Throw in to that the passion we all have for the club, would you really be able to look at things objectively? Fan representation at board meetings etc yes, but full ownership or 50+1 I'm not convinced by.
I am genuinely not being falsely modest and mean this in the nicest possible way, but I am living proof that is absolute b0ll0cks. It’s nowhere near as difficult as you would imagine. If you are lucky enough to stumble across the right product in the right market and are not afraid to ask for help you will pick it up as you go along, trust me.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 09:28:03 am by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2021, 09:51:58 am »

I do understand what you are saying Mel C.  Smiley

Of course you want as many fans as possible behind you, just don't let others that don't agree put you off. that's all I'm saying.

Fair enough. In response all I’m saying is if you took a more conciliatory position, more people may be swayed by your opinions? Just a suggestion, nothing more?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2021, 11:29:21 am »

You, Ragdoll,  Mysterious Curle going to lead us to the promised land. Most of that above is pie in the sky when do you Guys ever get real?

So, Everbright, which bits are pie in the sky?
The fact that our owners over the years have invariably taken us nowhere, apart from down the garden path and back again.
The fact that we're in the bottom division, exactly where we were 100 years ago and have spent most of our time.
The fact that our ground is tin pot.
The fact that we don't have the facilities or infrastructure to survive at a higher level for any sustained period.
The fact that something needs to change.
I could go on. What are your thoughts or suggestions on what we need to do to try to progress to the next level, or are you happy to kick around the bottom division or worse for the next 100 years?

Report Spam   Logged
guest168

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2021, 11:49:16 am »

still waiting an answer from Evers to my question please
Report Spam   Logged
guest168

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2021, 12:10:00 pm »

Woody, what makes KT more qualified than me or many others on this board? As Mel C says

Are you really worried about WHERE the money comes from?

KT & DC have both splashed cash and also then both spent as little as possible to keep the club afloat, neither has worked that well. Its about getting value for a start, football is like no other business BUT it's still a business, just from the outside the worst run businesses on the planet. Most successful business spend lots of money on research and development, planning, infrastructure and training. Over the last 15 years NTFC owners have literally spent pennies in these areas yet millions in players, managers, agents and coaches fees, wages and settlements.

We did actually have a bit of pay back with Goode but that money has made zero difference to NTFC as it all seemed to go back into the pockets of KT / DB as like DC they were supposedly owed millions.

Like I said 6 years ago, if we had invested in a young, modern manager with a 5 year contract, taken young hungry 'failure' players from higher up the leagues, mix with a few of our own youth players and add a couple of very experienced coaching players, then how much money would the club have saved?  Told the fans and football in general this was our planning and we want to develop players (look at Boro with Toney, we sell him for £200k, them £6m? plus add-ons worth millions more when he signs for Prem).

Now I hope with have not paid 1p this season for Edmundson because if we have we have overpaid. What a complete waste IMO, can you tell me that any of our youth players or signing someone else full-time would have been worse. What is the upside for us when players are successful - ala Morton.  - They leave and never return (ok Morton did have a short term impact). If Morton was ours, we would have benefitted with a £1m sale or another season at a higher level, as we all know if he was here this season, we would not have been relegated.

As i said I would be happy to finish 18th in league 2 for 3 seasons if that meant the 5 seasons after that we more successful and we had some better infrastructure or attracted genuine investment.

Report Spam   Logged
guest168

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2021, 12:20:18 pm »

Surely there must be more than the 5 of us on here who are fed-up with how crap so much of Northampton is.

Other places can do better, so why can we?  Look at Rushden Lakes, in my day Rushden was the last place you ever wanted to go. Now they build some shops and entertainment and 90% + people in the area will go these rather than the Town Centre.

There is a hunger for success in Northampton, we had 22,000 + in League 1 in 1966, 11500 in 1987, took 44000 to Wembley in 1998, hell we took 7000 to MK cos we had a chance to play Chelsea !!! (perhaps that sentence there Woody demonstrates more knowledge and passion for NTFC than KT, a key part of building a successful business)

People want to be associated with success and or feeling good that they are making a difference, being involved, connected and appreciated. As a NTFC fan how often have you had those feelings in the last 10 years (Buckets shaking etc excluded)

Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2021, 12:22:11 pm »

I've lost count of the number of times we've said "we won't go down the route of filling the squad with loan players"....yet we keep doing it!

Quality not quantity....that was what Curle said at the beginning of the season......

Now we have an interim manager who was in charge of a decent youth team, yet the youth players don't get anywhere near the first team? Whats that all about?

On Monday night both Tom Scott and Ethan Johnston turned out on trial for Sunderland U-23's...... not good enough for our first team yet good enough to be looked at by Sunderland?

What is the plan? Where is the direction?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest3359

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2021, 12:50:58 pm »

KT was more qualified because he has proven success elsewhere in and out of football. Or at least that was my perception.

A lot of discussion on the various threads has been about a generic fan ownership model and surprise that more people don't support it (massively generalising years and maybe millions of post).
If there was something more tangible, who would be the chairman, who would be on the board, what their history and credentials are etc then it may get more support. I've seen nothing yet, from the Trust or any other group that puts any structure or any confidence that there are people who can take on the club and push it forward, not just do what's needed to keep us as we are now. If KT agreed to sell 51% or more to the fans, at a reasonable price, how long would it take us to have the structure in place?

I agree with your statement and approach on investing in managers and players, having 3 or 4 years to build a squad etc. But you need the money to invest in the first place, you need to have money for contingency in case you lose a player or the manager either to other clubs or injuries etc, and I fear the minority would support this approach long term and the majority would be calling it a failure after 3 to 4 months and calling for change.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2021, 14:05:31 pm »

Surely there must be more than the 5 of us on here who are fed-up with how crap so much of Northampton is.

Other places can do better, so why can we?  Look at Rushden Lakes, in my day Rushden was the last place you ever wanted to go. Now they build some shops and entertainment and 90% + people in the area will go these rather than the Town Centre.

Are there more than five on here who still live in Northampton?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest3429

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2021, 14:39:16 pm »

Are there more than five on here who still live in Northampton?

Good question.

Surely today's football club owner must come from as far away as possible, so that's Melly again. Although as they seem to be persuaded to change clubs he might have a fight on his hands with the amiable Glazer brothers.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2021, 16:25:28 pm »

There is a hunger for success in Northampton, we had 22,000 + in League 1 in 1966, 11500 in 1987, took 44000 to Wembley in 1998, hell we took 7000 to MK cos we had a chance to play Chelsea !!! (perhaps that sentence there Woody demonstrates more knowledge and passion for NTFC than KT, a key part of building a successful business)

People want to be associated with success and or feeling good that they are making a difference, being involved, connected and appreciated. As a NTFC fan how often have you had those feelings in the last 10 years (Buckets shaking etc excluded)

People still don't go to Rushden. They go to a glorified metal box on the outskirts to be met by the usual shopping culprits that sell the same old crap that you used to get in the high street.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2021, 18:22:52 pm »

Evers - why should I support KT rather than something else like local investment and support?

You do like putting the cart before the horse Cool. At the moment it is KT who pays the Bills and ensures we have a club to watch. There is a lot of pie in the sky floating around since last Saturday. If Guys like you wish to run the Club we may or will go bust within 12months. Have you got £4000 to put into the Club to help make this 51% thing happen? If not ..put up etc. Might be a good idea if so me of you Guys wait to see who is appointed Manager; consider his plans for the future along with Sir KT of course and then plan accordingly. As an aside how long have you supported the Club , genuine question so don't get irrational Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2021, 18:28:18 pm »

So, Everbright, which bits are pie in the sky?
The fact that our owners over the years have invariably taken us nowhere, apart from down the garden path and back again.
The fact that we're in the bottom division, exactly where we were 100 years ago and have spent most of our time.
The fact that our ground is tin pot.
The fact that we don't have the facilities or infrastructure to survive at a higher level for any sustained period.
The fact that something needs to change.
I could go on. What are your thoughts or suggestions on what we need to do to try to progress to the next level, or are you happy to kick around the bottom division or worse for the next 100 years?

I think you need more time..quote " I could go on" so please add as many reasons as you seem as fit. In any case am currently rescuing my runner beans which are all over the place at the mo'!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2021, 18:45:31 pm »

I think you need more time..quote " I could go on" so please add as many reasons as you seem as fit. In any case am currently rescuing my runner beans which are all over the place at the mo'!

Typical non response from the martyr of NTFC. Firstly; what are you on about, secondly;  What are your suggestions to successfully sustain us at the next level?
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2021, 19:32:18 pm »

Good question.

Surely today's football club owner must come from as far away as possible, so that's Melly again. Although as they seem to be persuaded to change clubs he might have a fight on his hands with the amiable Glazer brothers.
I reckon I’d rather be on the board of the Trust than the club? That’s where the real action could be? I’d either be a glittering success or the biggest failure in its history. What we really don’t want as a group of supporters is the club to go out of the league or bust and us all on here going “could’ve, would’ve, should’ve”. Just need a cunning plan or 2?
Report Spam   Logged

guest168

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2021, 19:32:54 pm »

So therefore Evers as long as the club is running you don't care who is in charge !

Evers Have Exeter, Motherwell, Wycombe and every club in German gone bust within 12 months.

I have supported NTFC since 1975 when I was 6 years old. Went to every game par 3 in the 1987 season and been to a large number of games over the years and yes I WAS there in the 942 v Chester on a Tuesday night. I looked after the programme sellers & 50-50 sellers, who were not paid as I recruited and looked after them, saving the club £80k+ plus over the years. I was voted supporter of the Year in 2012, I have never taken a penny in wages from the club, and my real big claim to fame is that I supplied the office chair that DC sat on when producing those "from the store cupboard" updates  Grin.  Does that qualify me enough of a fan or do you need more?

Personally at the time I was more interested in the business side of the club rather than the team, especially when we started getting loan player after loan player but DC kept me more at arms length the closer he got to development money as he knew I wouldn't keep my mouth shut !!!

Woody: Pretty sure KT was not successful too much in either football or business, didn't exactly do much for Oxford other than tick over and don't talk about Torquay. Certainly would think David Jackson would be qualified enough for you.
Basically sorry but you have not got a clue about KT, his past or his present. Question: where does KT live and where does our major shareholder live?

Report Spam   Logged
guest168

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2021, 19:35:41 pm »

Evers, if I'm putting the cart before the horse, your horse is in the knackers yard yet you keep betting it's gonna win the Grand National one day.

Have you forget how you got it so so wrong with DC??

Please tell me how KT differs from DC cos I can list many many things that they are the same
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2021, 19:55:20 pm »

A story of unity and strength of will from our past.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-agony-and-the-ecstasy/2015/oct/16/northampton-town-supporters-trusts-football-clubs
Report Spam   Logged

guest49

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2021, 22:39:31 pm »

Please tell me how KT differs from DC cos I can list many many things that they are the same

That’s really unfair because we haven’t given him the time to half build a house in Brampton yet using council loaned money.  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: