The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:54:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The way forward.

Poll
Question: How would you like to see the club run?  (Voting closed: May 10, 2021, 14:30:01 pm)
As is with either KT/DB or A.N.Other at the helm? - 33 (58.9%)
Local/Fan ownership (where does the money come from?) - 10 (17.9%)
Phoenix club under fan/local ownership after the club goes tits up?? - 4 (7.1%)
Don't give a crap as long as we are playing in L1 or L2 - 9 (16.1%)
Total Voters: 50

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The way forward.  (Read 9630 times)
guest3338

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2021, 09:40:56 am »

I bet super Sammy comes close to top of every statistical analysis that he gets entered for.
It's what were aiming for, a team full of Hoskinites.

Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2021, 09:53:48 am »

I don’t think that anyone should be surprised that there will be an amount of contrition from the club. It’s standard protocol these days to fully own up to your mistakes, say sorry, then hope everyone forgives and forgets. It tends to shorten the post-mortem, and put a halt to the recriminations.

BUT

I’m with you on this Melbourne. We are all up for a decent heartfelt apology. As long as looks like everybody has tried their best, and covered all the bases. But to openly say oops. We forget to carry out the most basic strategy to ensure some success in our field, is ridiculous. I find it inconceivable that by saying, guess what, we've literally just realised how football works, and we’re going give that a go now, just makes them look like prize fools.

They should have just issued a genuine apology and not got into a bunch of manipulating hogwash.
Bit late for that. If KT worked for me I’d be asking him to consider his position? But he doesn’t so I’m not.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2021, 10:31:11 am »

Stats profile from last summers recruitment.
Do you know where Northampton is - yes
Are you a footballer- yes
Are your expectations of wages low - yes
Do you run around a lot - yes
Do you promise you are fit more often than not - yes
100%
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
guest216

« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2021, 12:22:09 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/cobblers-to-take-a-more-data-driven-approach-to-recruitment-3228390

Given the standard of recruitment last season, I am disappointed but not surprised that this was not already in place? When you are investing in a player whether it be contractually or with a fee I would have thought it is vital that you evaluate that decision with all available information at your disposal? IMO this is basic professional management stuff, and a significant failing if this process was not a significant factor previously? Don’t worry, I’m not about to go into a business management lecture, but this is quite an admission on the part of the club, again IMO?

The very fact he admitted to not bothering to recruit someone this summer to do the job properly speaks volumes.

An analyst would be on max £35k + few thousands for the database. Absolute no brainer to me, given the scatter-gun approach to signings last year it pays for itself.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2021, 13:09:01 pm »

to openly say oops. We forget to carry out the most basic strategy to ensure some success in our field, is ridiculous. I find it inconceivable that by saying, guess what, we've literally just realised how football works, and we’re going give that a go now, just makes them look like prize fools.

They should have just issued a genuine apology and not got into a bunch of manipulating hogwash.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I don't see this as 'manipulating hogwash' at all.

After a season of failure and missed opportunities, what I want to see is genuine analysis rather than glib platitudes. IMO KT is correct in his diagnosis of the main issues:

1. 'We didn't recruit enough League 1 experience'
2. 'I don't think we recruited to the style of play Keith was looking to play'
3. we possibly needed a target man and more strength at the back
4. Need for more data-driven recruitment
5. Disconnect between the youth team and first team in terms of style of play (making it difficult to integrate young players)

Given that our budget was 'not a bottom four budget' (Whiting), the primary responsibility has to be born by Curle and Tracey for their poor recruitment.

You imply that fully data-driven recruitment is a 'basic strategy' but I suspect that it is still far from universal in L2 and the lower end of L1. I suspect there are still many old-school managers (Curle and Sheridan to name two) who prefer to recruit on gut-instinct. Curle has said in podcast interviews that he recruits primarily on 'character' which is why we've ended up with a squad of plucky triers without the requisite quality to perform in L1. (I suspect KT's contentment with character-based recruitment might be an over-correction based on the talented but gutless squad of Crooks, Van Veen, Grimes and Periera who got us relegated so meekly last time around.)

The signing of Harry Smith is a classic example of where we've been going wrong. I strongly suspect that Curle saw him score and play well against us, took in his 6'5 height and build, took a cursory glance at his record of 9 goals in 39 games for struggling Macc
and decided that he was the answer to his search for that elusive target man. If we had a proper data analyst then they might well have uncovered that he wins comparatively few 'aerial duals' and this hold-up possession to lay-off ratio is low: in other words, he ain't no targetman. Danny Rose is another case study: a player with good 'character' and 'work rate' who was seemingly signed without anyone properly analysing whether he would thrive on the type of chances we were creating (or not creating) at the time.

IMO KT's acknowledgement of these issues is an important step forward, however modest and belated it might be. I also welcome his implicit acknowledgement that the club's style of play or 'identity' needs to evolve beyond the hoofball purveyed by messers Curle and Boothroyd. There's a reason why virtually every team in L1 plays passing possession football these days, with Gillingham (who have some artisans like Dempsey to compliment the directness) the exception that proves the rule. Hoofball merchants like Curle are found out at L1 level and it's time for us to leave that behind.

Time will tell if KT can deliver on his recruitment promises. However, this is the first time I've seen him properly analyse and acknowledge the structural issues underpinning our L2-L1 yo-yo cycle, and that for me is a positive step forward. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 15:52:29 pm by bungle » Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2021, 13:34:16 pm »

It is a shocking indictment of how to run a business let alone a football club.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2021, 15:23:54 pm »

Bungle always puts up thought provoking and intelligent posts, but 6 years to develop a thorough and effective recruitment and development policy, give me a break? If the correct processes were in place the failures listed at the beginning of the post wouldn’t have occurred, and six years to implement them is p155 poor. It’s not like this hasn’t been a major issue in the past, this should have been addressed last time we had a team full of Ash Taylors , Joe Bunny’s and Vent Spleens leaning on the corner flag scratching their ball bag, if not the get go. This is not the first club they have owned either? Fair enough they have identified significant areas of concern, but after 6 years? Sorry to go on about it but simply not good enough I’m afraid?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 15:29:33 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
bungle

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2021, 15:51:11 pm »

Bungle always puts up thought provoking and intelligent posts, but 6 years to develop a thorough and effective recruitment and development policy, give me a break? If the correct processes were in place the failures listed at the beginning of the post wouldn’t have occurred, and six years to implement them is p155 poor.

I agree that this change in policy could and should have been implemented earlier. I think KT has finally realised that he's taken an overly 'hands off' approach to the transfer policy during our League One seasons which has led to either the recruitment of players with poor character (the Van Veen/Periera relegation season) or lack of ability (this season). 

On the other hand, we've had two promotions and a £1 million plus sale during his tenure: there are definitely a lot of lower-league clubs whose recruitment has been significantly worse than ours.

My argument is that it's a case of better late than never. I greet the new structure with cautious optimism but it remains to be seen whether it will bear fruit. 
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2021, 19:35:46 pm »

IMO KT is full of s...t.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2021, 20:13:18 pm »

I agree that this change in policy could and should have been implemented earlier. I think KT has finally realised that he's taken an overly 'hands off' approach to the transfer policy during our League One seasons which has led to either the recruitment of players with poor character (the Van Veen/Periera relegation season) or lack of ability (this season). 

On the other hand, we've had two promotions and a £1 million plus sale during his tenure: there are definitely a lot of lower-league clubs whose recruitment has been significantly worse than ours.

My argument is that it's a case of better late than never. I greet the new structure with cautious optimism but it remains to be seen whether it will bear fruit. 

The key point for me is that you adopt any and all means at your disposal including strategies and processes, to minimise the risk of that happening? Identify areas of weakness in any strategy or process and improve where budgetary or personnel constraints allow. A continual process of record, measure, report, evaluate, implement to protect and grow the business. Apologies for the patronising rhetoric, but that could be straight out of any textbook of basic management for beginners?

I suppose it’s because I am so incredulous that modern professional techniques (data and statistical analysis ain’t that new) hasn’t been adopted previously? I naturally assumed they were? I have been supportive of the board in the past, because from a financial perspective they have been mostly bang on with the decision making? It might have been at odds with some supporters expectations for the club, but it allowed them to defend their position with some element of credibility?

However, if you are going to use that standard to defend them, it would be amiss if you turned a blind eye when they came up so short when applying that criteria in other key areas? All that says to me is that we have recruited a bloody good accountant onto the board but the Operations Director is either sh1t, or gone AWOL, particularly in light of the fact they have constantly repeated the same mistake at significant cost and consequence? Anyway as I said, sorry for banging on about it, I’m having a fume because we got relegated.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 20:15:42 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2021, 22:47:39 pm »

You've got it as bad as old Beds now mate...
I know I’ve got tooth ache and I’m pissed off, the whiskey is easing the pain though 👍
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2021, 10:00:01 am »

Could be  Grin although I’m no dentist  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest1269

« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2021, 13:11:29 pm »

Of course it’s all about opinions and mine is that the  data driven sports scientist route has a value at the elite level of any sport - fine margins with the best sportsmen in the world but for Division 3 and 4 you can have a 20 TB hard disk of data but continuing to play(for example) a goalkeeper who will gift the opposition a goal or two most games makes all that data somewhat redundant - tactical nous for the league you are in, good level of fitness, team spirit and reasonable players will see you in the right half of the table at this level - this season we particularly failed on points 1 and 4.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2021, 13:17:25 pm »

Of course it’s all about opinions and mine is that the  data driven sports scientist route has a value at the elite level of any sport - fine margins with the best sportsmen in the world but for Division 3 and 4 you can have a 20 TB hard disk of data but continuing to play(for example) a goalkeeper who will gift the opposition a goal or two most games makes all that data somewhat redundant - tactical nous for the league you are in, good level of fitness, team spirit and reasonable players will see you in the right half of the table at this level - this season we particularly failed on points 1 and 4.
Couldnt agree more.
Report Spam   Logged
Keith

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2021, 13:21:04 pm »

1. 'We didn't recruit enough League 1 experience'

We didn't recruit enough players who could pass to each other
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2021, 13:23:15 pm »

We didn't recruit enough players who could pass to each other

Or kick the ball properly half the time.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2021, 13:37:34 pm »

for Division 3 and 4 you can have a 20 TB hard disk of data but continuing to play(for example) a goalkeeper who will gift the opposition a goal or two most games makes all that data somewhat redundant

Ok, but the whole point is that your data analysis is done effectively then you are less likely to sign a 'goalkeeper who will gift the opposition a goal or two' in the first place.

If someone had looked properly at Mitchell's during his previous loan spells (not just goals conceded, but shots spilled, distribution accuracy, claims on crosses, 'goals saved above average' etc) then we might have gone for someone else. 
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2021, 14:19:29 pm »

Ok, but the whole point is that your data analysis is done effectively then you are less likely to sign a 'goalkeeper who will gift the opposition a goal or two' in the first place.

If someone had looked properly at Mitchell's during his previous loan spells (not just goals conceded, but shots spilled, distribution accuracy, claims on crosses, 'goals saved above average' etc) then we might have gone for someone else. 

He did ok today, looked confident in spite of some adverse opinion on here. Regarding your above analysis final para you use 'might' which might suggest you don't have this crucial information. Can you add details off Mitchells previous form as that might help?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3338

« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2021, 14:24:37 pm »

He did ok today, looked confident in spite of some adverse opinion on here. Regarding your above analysis final para you use 'might' which might suggest you don't have this crucial information. Can you add details off Mitchells previous form as that might help?
signed by Derby in 2014.
Now 26 with just 35 league appearances as a loan player since then before joining us.
Only pieces of information anyone needs to know I would have thought?
First choice league one keeper? I think not.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2021, 14:30:53 pm »

signed by Derby in 2014.
Now 26 with just 35 league appearances as a loan player since then before joining us.
Only pieces of information anyone needs to know I would have thought?
First choice league one keeper? I think not.

Maybe but certainly not conclusive. To me the give away is that Derby have retained him since 2014 if you are correct! If he has been so unreliable as you and others maintain then presumably he would not have been retained.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: