The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:21:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The way forward.

Poll
Question: How would you like to see the club run?  (Voting closed: May 10, 2021, 14:30:01 pm)
As is with either KT/DB or A.N.Other at the helm? - 33 (58.9%)
Local/Fan ownership (where does the money come from?) - 10 (17.9%)
Phoenix club under fan/local ownership after the club goes tits up?? - 4 (7.1%)
Don't give a crap as long as we are playing in L1 or L2 - 9 (16.1%)
Total Voters: 50

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The way forward.  (Read 9632 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2021, 14:54:26 pm »

Well CJ came up with the idea for this poll, so blame him.

Just remember how much KT/DB have out into the club to keep it running, if you go for Local/Fan ownership those figures do not magically disappear.

AND DON'T ANY OF YOU BUGGERS TURN THIS INTO ANOTHER REDEV THREAD.

As a matter of interest is the voting going the way you expected?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2021, 17:19:11 pm »

As a matter of interest is the voting going the way you expected?

Actually I am quite surprised with the "status quo" option being the most popular.
I expected option 2 followed by option 4 to be the most popular.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2021, 17:23:24 pm »

Actually I am quite surprised with the "status quo" option being the most popular.

Me too, although I’ve already given my opinion on this. Surely there are more than 56 members of this board or aren’t many people really bothered about the future of NTFC?
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2021, 17:52:34 pm »

Ok, but the whole point is that your data analysis is done effectively then you are less likely to sign a 'goalkeeper who will gift the opposition a goal or two' in the first place.

If someone had looked properly at Mitchell's during his previous loan spells (not just goals conceded, but shots spilled, distribution accuracy, claims on crosses, 'goals saved above average' etc) then we might have gone for someone else. 

Fair point and I agree more comprehensive analysis on a player’s playing statistics (with the small caveat of past performance doesn’t always reflect the future) is useful and you quote a good example - my irritation is more with the in depth scientific/medico stuff - you didn’t need vast amounts of data on heart rate, km run during a game, hydration rates etc etc to tell you for example both Sheehan and McCormack were risky signings on an injury front.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2021, 19:16:25 pm »

I’m not mate. I have never been to a single game where any form of disenchantment or protest has been shown towards the owners. I’m not saying that directly translates into unanimous satisfaction across the support. But at present, they doesn’t appear to be any appetite for change.

I repeat DOESN'T “APPEAR" TO BE........
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2021, 20:49:32 pm »

I know I’ve got tooth ache and I’m pissed off, the whiskey is easing the pain though 👍
A good ol Irish dram, I'm guessing then...by the spelling?  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2021, 06:49:56 am »

A good ol Irish dram, I'm guessing then...by the spelling?  Wink
When it comes to medicinal drink I’m not fussy 😀
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2021, 10:41:48 am »

Am not all surprised and think it probably represents a pointer towards how the supporter base reflects on the current overall situation. Clearly those championing public ownership have a lot to do.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 10:44:49 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2021, 11:30:59 am »

Am not all surprised and think it probably represents a pointer towards how the supporter base reflects on the current overall situation. Clearly those championing public ownership have a lot to do.

This is what surprised me. By the way the fan onwership lot were going on I though 99.99% of Cobblers want it.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2021, 11:42:35 am »

I think it’s got a lot to do with the way the questions are written  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2021, 11:50:24 am »

In fairness this is a tiny sample so difficult to extrapolate much of any meaning from it, but for indicative purposes it "feels" about right as I see it - 3/4 who are happy with the status quo/just want to watch their football in peace, 1/5 who are in favour of fan ownership and 1/20 who are apparently brain damaged.  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2021, 12:11:51 pm »

The problem with Fan Ownership is no one understands the mechanics of how it would work.
If there was 49% investment and a elected board it could work.
I see there is a petition about legislation in English football with a 50+1 model being implemented, it has over 100,000 signatures! So will be heard in parliament.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/583310
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest216

« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2021, 13:17:17 pm »

Fair point and I agree more comprehensive analysis on a player’s playing statistics (with the small caveat of past performance doesn’t always reflect the future) is useful and you quote a good example - my irritation is more with the in depth scientific/medico stuff - you didn’t need vast amounts of data on heart rate, km run during a game, hydration rates etc etc to tell you for example both Sheehan and McCormack were risky signings on an injury front.

The attraction with injury prone players is you can often get a better quality of player then is usually available. The likes of Akinfenwa and Gyepes fit that mould, both of which turned out to be very astute signings in the end. Obviously you have to balance the risk, but I don't think it's stupid to take a chance on it working out.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2021, 13:18:22 pm »

has over 100,000 signatures! So will be heard in parliament.

And universally ignored in football.

Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2021, 14:15:48 pm »

And universally ignored in football.

And in parliament, it will be one of those late friday afternoon items where about 25% of MPs are present.
The big problem with fan ownership is you cannot buy something that is ot for sale. If I own XYZ FC and you say you want to buy a chunk of it I can name my price, if you meet it I smile all the way to the bank, if you don't, well at least you tried.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2021, 20:58:02 pm »

And in parliament, it will be one of those late friday afternoon items where about 25% of MPs are present.
The big problem with fan ownership is you cannot buy something that is ot for sale. If I own XYZ FC and you say you want to buy a chunk of it I can name my price, if you meet it I smile all the way to the bank, if you don't, well at least you tried.
I think you’ll find the PM was quit vocal about football and the super league, they could legislate that all English and Welsh professional football clubs have to have a 50+1 model.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2021, 21:29:04 pm »

My personal view is that whilst a nice dream, fan ownership can only thrive when underpinned with legislation? Otherwise it will be a real battle to even be competitive for most clubs. The real challenge would be how do you convert privately owned clubs to fan owned? I have absolutely no idea how it would be possible for the government or anyone else to negotiate their way over that legal hurdle? The only possibility I can think of would involve sort of Nationalising the football league as the government has done with other industries in the past? I haven’t the first clue about the practicalities of that, but on face value it seems incredibly expensive and messy?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2021, 07:41:05 am »

I think you’ll find the PM was quit vocal about football and the super league, they could legislate that all English and Welsh professional football clubs have to have a 50+1 model.

But they won’t. It is different installing a system into the German league as it was at the time, where nearly all of the clubs were not for profit organisations, compared to wrestling control away from 90 odd private owners.

You can’t just introduce legislation stating that they all have to hand over 51% of their club to the fans. They would have to first of all put up with years upon years of legal challenges. There would be astronomical costs involved in wrestling away control.

As for the much touted German model. It’s riddled with loopholes that still favour the owners.

Fan ownership is not going to ever take on. It’s a pipe dream. The best the support can hope for is decent representation at board level. In my opinion, that is something KT has to concede to at some point. Not having that, is absolutely a slap in the face to the support. That representation should not solely be the Trust as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/25/supporters-may-own-german-football-clubs-but-the-wealthy-can-bend-the-rules
Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2021, 07:43:22 am »

They could, or I hear Chequers needs renovating too and they are short of a few quid for the paint!
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2021, 08:21:20 am »

They could, or I hear Chequers needs renovating too and they are short of a few quid for the paint!
Are you addicted to V1agra?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: