The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 18:22:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Sunderland Away on Sunday 10.05.21

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunderland Away on Sunday 10.05.21  (Read 7183 times)
1971cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2021, 11:56:39 am »

Richard Hill, Trevor Morley, different gravy!
We can only dream of such players nowadays. Cry

Indeed.

The balance of that side was perfect.

A strong foundation at the back, with Gilbert and McGoldrick supplying the chances, Hill the marauding midfielder, Morley supplying the class, and Benjamin and Donald knitting everything together.

If only we had half of that side now.  Sad
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2021, 12:01:52 pm »

7 managers have selected Sam in their starting 11's, most of them regularly so I would take their views on his abilities over posters on here. If he was released he would not be short of offers from other division 1 & 2 clubs. Yes he has faults and his end product is not always up to standard but that is why he is playing at this level. The quality of crosses, corners and free kicks from plenty of other players have been no better including the previous assist king Nicky Adams.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2021, 12:03:29 pm »

Indeed.

A strong foundation at the back, with Gilbert and McGoldrick supplying the chances, Hill the marauding midfielder, Morley supplying the class, and Benjamin and Donald knitting everything together.

We need Graham Carr and the rest of the recruitment committee to unearth some more nuggets in the coming months.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2021, 13:33:11 pm »

Indeed.

Yes, but like our current squad, the keeper was s***e to mediocre. Gleasure is protected in Cobblers lore, due to not having much to do in the class of 87 and nostalgic claret tinted specs.
He was pony prior to and following the great season!
In fact, didn't really show what he was made of until landing the role as Willy Wonka in the movie, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... original - not the Jonny Depp farce!

https://images.app.goo.gl/6eTrBiUz1CjMsV9UA
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 13:37:07 pm by Coolcat » Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2021, 14:22:52 pm »

Yes, but like our current squad, the keeper was s***e to mediocre. Gleasure is protected in Cobblers lore, due to not having much to do in the class of 87 and nostalgic claret tinted specs.
He was pony prior to and following the great season!
In fact, didn't really show what he was made of until landing the role as Willy Wonka in the movie, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... original - not the Jonny Depp farce!

https://images.app.goo.gl/6eTrBiUz1CjMsV9UA

Tad harsh, as Gleasure was a bit better than mediocre! Probably similar to Mitchell!.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2021, 14:26:25 pm »

Tad harsh, as Gleasure was a bit better than mediocre! Probably similar to Mitchell!.

We turned down (250k?) from Charlton for Gleasure. 87/88 season he was outstanding. After that, he rapidly went down hill and became a liability, I remember well when he went through a spell of being lobbed!!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2021, 15:02:21 pm »

I remember well when he went through a spell of being lobbed!!  Grin

Especially by (I think) Phil Chard for a spectacular own goal at Sincil Bank!

Irrespective of form before or after, in my eyes, any Cobblers keeper who is part of a promotion winning team takes on legendary status.  Smiley

The thing I remember the most about Gleasure was the way he used to slap both his thighs with his gloved hands after almost every goal he conceded.

Much like O'Donnell in recent seasons, who used to go into meltdown at the nearest body after every goal, even when it was his own error!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler151

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Search
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2021, 15:18:21 pm »

Indeed.

Pre my time, but god it gets boring hearing about it. Its like hearing how their have been no good boxers since Ali or no good music since CREAM or The Beatles.

Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2021, 15:27:18 pm »

Pre my time, but god it gets boring hearing about it. Its like hearing how their have been no good boxers since Ali or no good music since CREAM or The Beatles.

Sincerest apologies for giving my opinion on that side, given my reply was in relation to two of the key members of that team.

I presume you have been a Cobbler long enough to have experienced the recent Wilder led title winning side?
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2021, 15:45:42 pm »

Sorry if some of us oldies are boring you, but, if our dreams came true and the Cobblers were once again as good as Graham Carr's team, you would be one very happy bunny Smiley
Rant over! Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2021, 16:09:46 pm »

Sorry if some of us oldies are boring you, but, if our dreams came true and the Cobblers were once again as good as Graham Carr's team, you would be one very happy bunny Smiley
Rant over! Wink

Emperors New Clothes: They weren't that good, just a bunch of non-league nobody's who were brought together by a great manager to win a crap Fourth Division title.  The team without Morley, Hill and Benjamin the following season were probably better, finishing 6th in the Third Division?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2021, 17:05:47 pm »

Never heard either of THOSE quotes before. But what about Richard Dunn and Take That.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2021, 17:32:49 pm »

Are you kidding? Thinking back to the Carr or Wilder era, along with moments like the Wembley/Anfield wins, or P*sh away will help maintain the sanity of the average Cobblers fan. In fact it is much more preferable than discussing what we’ve just witnessed.
I endured 8 years of absolute dog sh*t when I started following.
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2021, 18:00:09 pm »

7 managers have selected Sam in their starting 11's, most of them regularly so I would take their views on his abilities over posters on here. If he was released he would not be short of offers from other division 1 & 2 clubs. Yes he has faults and his end product is not always up to standard but that is why he is playing at this level. The quality of crosses, corners and free kicks from plenty of other players have been no better including the previous assist king Nicky Adams.

Completely agree. I don't think Hoskins has that many detractors on here. It's just that they (Manwork in particular) have decided to criticise him at every opportunity and repeat the same things endlessly and as they post so much it may look like there are more than there really are.
Report Spam   Logged
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2021, 18:37:27 pm »

Are you kidding? Thinking back to the Carr or Wilder era, along with moments like the Wembley/Anfield wins, or P*sh away will help maintain the sanity of the average Cobblers fan. In fact it is much more preferable than discussing what we’ve just witnessed.
I endured 8 years of absolute dog sh*t when I started following.

Not forgetting THAT Shrewsbury away game, and Cov away in the 2015 FA Cup  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2021, 19:00:16 pm »

Emperors New Clothes: They weren't that good, just a bunch of non-league nobody's who were brought together by a great manager to win a crap Fourth Division title.  The team without Morley, Hill and Benjamin the following season were probably better, finishing 6th in the Third Division?

I take it your tongue is firmly in cheek? If that team 'weren't that good' it just shows how painful being a Cobbler really is. Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2021, 19:02:19 pm »

We turned down (250k?) from Charlton for Gleasure. 87/88 season he was outstanding. After that, he rapidly went down hill and became a liability, I remember well when he went through a spell of being lobbed!!  Grin
Grin
Wasn't so outstanding, first day of the season at Exeter in 84...0-5 defeat!  Shocked Grin
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 19:05:00 pm by Coolcat » Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2021, 19:12:47 pm »

There's 24 pretty similar clubs in each division so you should expect get a successful team every 24 years or so.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2021, 21:34:09 pm »

Completely agree. I don't think Hoskins has that many detractors on here. It's just that they (Manwork in particular) have decided to criticise him at every opportunity and repeat the same things endlessly and as they post so much it may look like there are more than there really are.
It’s amazing how little our fans know about football, as you’ve called me out, again, I actually said I thought he had a good game.... comprehension not your thing? Must be all the tapas your eating making you lethargic, lazy in body lazy in mind.
Hoskins has a lot of detractors, you should come to Sixseats and have a listen, but you strike me as someone who knows everything better?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2021, 21:52:11 pm »

It’s amazing how little our fans know about football, as you’ve called me out, again, I actually said I thought he had a good game.... comprehension not your thing? Must be all the tapas your eating making you lethargic, lazy in body lazy in mind.
Hoskins has a lot of detractors, you should come to Sixseats and have a listen, but you strike me as someone who knows everything better?
Fcuk off Manny, my morning tea has just gone down my nose and all over my freshly laundered shirt!
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: