The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 09:57:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Pre-Season Friendlies

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-Season Friendlies  (Read 28678 times)
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2021, 20:02:37 pm »

They've just shown the OG on SSN, what a cracker, top corner...keeper had no chance Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2021, 20:12:00 pm »

Some thoughts on that match vs West Ham:

- The NTFC own version of iFollow was truly awful. Glitches, crashes, reloads required every few minutes. Not sure I will be paying even a fiver again for that.
- Bring back Tim Oglethorpe. Listening to that commentary team - I'm sorry to say it - was painful.
- Pollock and Chukwuemeka were both fantastic after coming on in the 60 minute, and combined very fluidly as a front pairing. They made a far greater impact on the game than Rose + BAS; although I think they were in part helped by the 2nd half midfield retaining the ball better, and the West Ham side having tired by that point. Nonetheless, very impressive and a great shame that Chuk may soon be off - but Pollock looks like he needs to be playing week in week out.
- Of all the new players I was most impressed by McGowan, Pinnock and Lewis. McGowan has some engine on him and covers the entire right hand side of the pitch; he looks a clear upgrade on Harriman, who I don't particularly rate. Pinnock looked a little off the pace at times yet his technical quality was clear to see from his set pieces and his shot which led to our goal. Lewis I thought looked after the ball well and kept things ticking over, not yet spectacular but definitely solid.
- Nelson own goal was hilarious! Would advise watching it on the youtube highlights to come. I thought he looked quite shaky in the 1st half.
- Debayo the trialist at left back looks potentially a good find! Certainly worth trying him again in the Forest match at least. Wouldn't imagine he'd be able to command a lot of money too so the bulk of the remaining budget could be used on recruiting attacking players instead.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 20:15:54 pm by OCoole » Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2021, 20:28:36 pm »

Part timer!!!

I’d rather watch them on a cold winter night in Hartlepool in a meaningful game than a friendly, even though it was free.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2021, 20:50:42 pm »

- Football a stark improvement on Curle ball.
- Pinnock the most impressive of the new players.
- Pollock and McWilliams easily the most impressive of the current players.
- BAS was more impressive than I’d expected.
- It’s funny how we see games differently, but contrary to OCoole, I’d have ended the trial of Debayo early in the second half  Grin thought he was nowhere near the standard required and Cam was significantly better. But that’s the beautiful thing about football.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2021, 21:08:11 pm »

- It’s funny how we see games differently, but contrary to OCoole, I’d have ended the trial of Debayo early in the second half  Grin thought he was nowhere near the standard required and Cam was significantly better. But that’s the beautiful thing about football.

Blimey, I don't think we were watching the same game! I was impressed again by Debayo and think he's probably worth a deal.

A decent performance and we were worth a draw. The style of football we'll be playing is so much better and we should be in for a more entertaining season than we've been used to!

And we've clearly found the answer to our striker issue  -  with a shot like that on him stick Nelson up top!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
guest2995

« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2021, 21:36:37 pm »

i think we are getting a good group together that will compete .
JB will get us playing attractive football with purpose.
We desperately need a goalscorer and the Smith replacement is crucial .
Will we chance a young loanee , a seasoned performer or an under performer that will come good  ? This is the critical question .
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2021, 22:34:11 pm »

That was football of the type that augurs well for the future. Players allowed to express themselves. Proper, attacking, front foot, pacy, positive.

Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2021, 22:50:40 pm »

i think we are getting a good group together that will compete .
JB will get us playing attractive football with purpose.
We desperately need a goalscorer and the Smith replacement is crucial .
Will we chance a young loanee , a seasoned performer or an under performer that will come good  ? This is the critical question .

I appreciate others will probably disagree but watching that game sparked the idea for me that Pollock is perhaps capable of being a good forward player capable of scoring 10+ league goals a year.

We know already that he has strong technical ability particularly when striking a ball (which is a big tick), but I thought playing as a kind of 'second striker' role tonight he looked brilliant at using Chuk as someone to play off of, and was often able to advance the ball into good areas. He has bulked up a lot since his injury yet has a burst of speed, and is very good at manipulating the ball away from a defender to get a pass / shot away. I really could see that being his position, particularly with Brady keen to play two forwards.

Feel free to call me crackers!
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2021, 23:24:01 pm »

From the West Ham perspective;

Hammers News - West Ham United FC: West Ham fans rave about Conor Coventry after performance vs Northampton in pre-season friendly.
https://www.hammers.news/columnist/west-ham-fans-rave-about-conor-coventry-after-performance-vs-northampton-in-pre-season-friendly/
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2021, 05:51:31 am »

I appreciate others will probably disagree but watching that game sparked the idea for me that Pollock is perhaps capable of being a good forward player capable of scoring 10+ league goals a year.

We know already that he has strong technical ability particularly when striking a ball (which is a big tick), but I thought playing as a kind of 'second striker' role tonight he looked brilliant at using Chuk as someone to play off of, and was often able to advance the ball into good areas. He has bulked up a lot since his injury yet has a burst of speed, and is very good at manipulating the ball away from a defender to get a pass / shot away. I really could see that being his position, particularly with Brady keen to play two forwards.

Feel free to call me crackers!

In both the friendlies so far when he's come on he's effectively played up front, so I guess Brady at least wants to have a look at him in that role.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2021, 07:45:42 am »

Some thoughts on that match vs West Ham:

- The NTFC own version of iFollow was truly awful. Glitches, crashes, reloads required every few minutes. Not sure I will be paying even a fiver again for that.
- Bring back Tim Oglethorpe. Listening to that commentary team - I'm sorry to say it - was painful.
- Pollock and Chukwuemeka were both fantastic after coming on in the 60 minute, and combined very fluidly as a front pairing. They made a far greater impact on the game than Rose + BAS; although I think they were in part helped by the 2nd half midfield retaining the ball better, and the West Ham side having tired by that point. Nonetheless, very impressive and a great shame that Chuk may soon be off - but Pollock looks like he needs to be playing week in week out.
- Of all the new players I was most impressed by McGowan, Pinnock and Lewis. McGowan has some engine on him and covers the entire right hand side of the pitch; he looks a clear upgrade on Harriman, who I don't particularly rate. Pinnock looked a little off the pace at times yet his technical quality was clear to see from his set pieces and his shot which led to our goal. Lewis I thought looked after the ball well and kept things ticking over, not yet spectacular but definitely solid.
- Nelson own goal was hilarious! Would advise watching it on the youtube highlights to come. I thought he looked quite shaky in the 1st half.
- Debayo the trialist at left back looks potentially a good find! Certainly worth trying him again in the Forest match at least. Wouldn't imagine he'd be able to command a lot of money too so the bulk of the remaining budget could be used on recruiting attacking players instead.

To balance the view ... I had no problems with the club stream and for what it was at the cost of £5 it was good value,  no cutting out or reloads

Commentary was as expected from a kid on work experience.

Report Spam   Logged
claretparrot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2021, 08:21:49 am »

I was pleasantly surprised last night, especially after seeing the first two go in and expecting a cricket score.

Haven't noticed much mention of Connolly, who I thought looked exciting. Always difficult to judge from these games but thought Chuk & Pollock together up top showed signs that they could be a real handful.
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2021, 08:28:49 am »

To balance the view ... I had no problems with the club stream and for what it was at the cost of £5 it was good value,  no cutting out or reloads

Commentary was as expected from a kid on work experience.

I agree, I had no issues at all and found the payment system easier.

I also dont think the young lad on work experience did a lot wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2021, 08:55:51 am »

Part timer!!!

Absolutely  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest49

« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2021, 08:56:34 am »

A couple of mentions of the football being better than under Curle. We haven't forgotten that we've had another 20 games since then?  Grin
These pre-season games rarely tell us much but definitely looking forward to a fresh start, with some fresh faces. Let's hope we hit the ground running, stay out of trouble and focus our attentions at the right end of the table.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2021, 08:58:57 am »

You would expect West Ham to have greater technical ability, better ball retention and slicker passing movements. After going 2 goals behind within the first 15 minutes it appeared that we could be in for a hiding as they looked capable of adding to their lead. Sam took his goal well and he and Rose had efforts that went narrowly wide in the first half.
The second half was a different story as West Ham rarely threatened our goal and Maxted had little of note to contend with. We looked likely to get an equaliser and put together some good approach play which could have lead to a goal but for a poor final ball.
Pollock impressed in his 30 minutes and his delivery from corners and free kicks was also good. On this showing he will be pressing for a place in the starting 11.
Great finish from Nelson gave Roberts no chance, think the ball accross the box caught him on his blind side.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2021, 10:29:54 am »

A couple of mentions of the football being better than under Curle. We haven't forgotten that we've had another 20 games since then?  Grin
These pre-season games rarely tell us much but definitely looking forward to a fresh start, with some fresh faces. Let's hope we hit the ground running, stay out of trouble and focus our attentions at the right end of the table.
Think if we play BAS up top, should be fine!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2021, 10:34:36 am »

Think if we play BAS up top, should be fine!  Grin
Brilliant  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2021, 11:25:09 am »

Absolutely  Cool

You have to stick your neb in to every conversation. I've known Baldy for 47 years and he was only joking.The attendance was only 1715 and I suspect some were West Ham fans and I know of at least 3 people who went simply because it was West Ham. So there were probably only around 1500 Cobblers fans there at the most, so obviously many fans have the same opinion of friendlies as me.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2021, 11:37:44 am »

Sounds ominous - it’ll probably be West Ham Under 18’s!

It wasn’t they were pretty useful in defence and midfield. We had our moments in the second half but faile to capitalise! Did you go?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: