The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 23:17:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Pre-Season Friendlies

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-Season Friendlies  (Read 28314 times)
Shoemaker

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2021, 22:16:31 pm »

I thought that Benny looked a lot slimmer and certaily quicker. Was on the end of some er rugged tackling and was eventually forced off.

Of course you can never gauge a sides abilities in a friendly although I see Shoemaker appears to be making some negative comments.
Their first goal came from an unforced defensive error in the second half but their player took his chance well. As for the second goal that was also probably resulted from a defensive error again it was a well struck placed shot. The first goal was infuriating at least for me, expect JB wont be pleased either. Our number 10 was very dynamic and for me our MOM, goal keeper made some good saves and looks the part.No 48 looked capable against far better oppo. Both full backs if they were full backs looked ok . Midfield battlehard but generally lacked the quality to take advantage of a mediocre Forest X1. Both wide men were good particularly no 10.  Its up front where we lacked goal scoring ability, nevertheless Benny looks more of a prospect compared with last seasons efforts. Chuks came on for ithe njured Benny and didn't really impress and managed to miss at least one reasonable chance. If he is worth more than £250K I would be suprised as it was the sort of game he could and should have made an impression. Defensively we looked sound until the errors crept in. Interesting game all the same, as at times you could not be entirely sure who was the Championship side.
Summary - Cut out the defensive mistakes, add some class to the midfield plus of course at least one decent striker. No way did we look like relegation fodder!
If you can’t put the ball in the net you’re relegation fodder , we were last season and have failed to address things and so we will be this season. Goals win games not pretty football I’m afraid. We all know we need a couple of proven goal scorers , you , me and many other posters on here.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2021, 22:26:42 pm »

If you can’t put the ball in the net you’re relegation fodder , we were last season and have failed to address things and so we will be this season. Goals win games not pretty football I’m afraid. We all know we need a couple of proven goal scorers , you , me and many other posters on here.

It's too early to say we are relegation fodder; problem is you have downer on the Club and its players. It would have helped if you went to the game and then form your own opinion at least it would be interesting to read your POV. Drop your negative agenda, watch the team and form an honest opinion.  On todays showing they look a reasonable League 2 outfit; certainly in my eyes Roll Eyes

PS imo thought that JB analysis of the game was a tad hopeful.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2021, 22:51:33 pm »

It's too early to say we are relegation fodder; problem is you have downer on the Club and its players. It would have helped if you went to the game and then form your own opinion at least it would be interesting to read your POV. Drop your negative agenda, watch the team and form an honest opinion.  On todays showing they look a reasonable League 2 outfit; certainly in my eyes Roll Eyes

PS imo thought that JB analysis of the game was a tad hopeful.
Please don’t TELL me to do anything and il refrain from telling you what to do...... other people tell you what to do often enough  Wink I can’t work out why various posters do this  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2021, 23:22:15 pm »

Please don’t TELL me to do anything and il refrain from telling you what to do...... other people tell you what to do often enough  Wink I can’t work out why various posters do this  Wink

You post extreme negative comments based on an agenda off debiilitaing opinion. By all means have you say but bear in mind that I did not tell you what to do! I suggested that it might help to see the side play and then form an opinion. Incidentally I have seen far too many Cobblers games to listen to your infantile criticism and silly mind games. Time you abandoned your endless negative stance, its as if you hope JBrady and the team will fail. Dont share your attitude at all. Yes we need obvious reinforcements but most of us on here live in anticipation.
Report Spam   Logged

Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #184 on: July 21, 2021, 02:47:57 am »

Shoeys right, Ive got a very bad feeling about this season
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2021, 07:11:19 am »

We all know we need a couple of proven goal scorers , you , me and many other posters on here.

A league 2 team is never going to get 2 proven league 2 goal scorers in a transfer window without an absolute sh1t ton of money and even then there’s no guarantees both or either will adapt to their new club and continue to score goals. Ryan Bowman a player who I’ve never rated that highly was able to get a move to league 1 Shrewsbury, the same goes for Danny Rose to us last year.
Pretty much all teams are left with a few options, sign goal scorers from down the pyramid and just hope they can step up, speculate on what you believe is an untapped gem or an inexperienced young player who you see potential in.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2021, 07:49:18 am »

Summary - Cut out the defensive mistakes, add some class to the midfield plus of course at least one decent striker. No way did we look like relegation fodder!

Attendance: 2,526, including 935 Forest fans

well, we have recruited a lot so far, so if those are still our same problems, then we are going to struggle.

i can only see a 2nd choice left back and a striker coming in so that wont change much of it.
Report Spam   Logged
claretparrot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #187 on: July 21, 2021, 07:56:55 am »

Pretty impressed again, personally.

First goal was a bit of a mess but not too worried about the second - very few L2 mids are finding the corner from there.

McGowan and Connolly look a genuinely exciting pairing on the right.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 08:29:00 am by claretparrot » Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2021, 08:38:25 am »

Pretty impressed again, personally.

First goal was a bit of a mess but not too worried about the second - very few L2 mids are finding the corner from there.

McGowan and Connolly look a genuinely exciting pairing on the right.
i thought we looked good and Connolly was our stand out player. My concern was the the pairing in midfield of Lewis and Flores. Their players seemed to find it easy to pretty much walk through them without any challenge. No Sowerby again, is he still injured or isolating?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #189 on: July 21, 2021, 08:42:28 am »

Also need to remember we had a few out isolating which will also have an impact on how the squad train.
Going into the season fairly optimistic, but I always do  Cool
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2021, 09:07:59 am »

It’s all about opinion and yes of course life is more comfortable if you have proven scorers but I would argue we went down last season because we surrendered leads due to a poor defence (first half of the season) and poor goalkeeping (second half of the season).

What I’ve seen this season (& of course very limited) I would say far from relegation fodder but wouldn’t speculate further - I guess if you are of a miserable negative mindset you might just be pleasantly surprised where as if you live in hope you are prepared for disappointment - takes all sorts
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2021, 09:12:42 am »

You post extreme negative comments based on an agenda off debiilitaing opinion. By all means have you say but bear in mind that I did not tell you what to do! I suggested that it might help to see the side play and then form an opinion. Incidentally I have seen far too many Cobblers games to listen to your infantile criticism and silly mind games. Time you abandoned your endless negative stance, its as if you hope JBrady and the team will fail. Dont share your attitude at all. Yes we need obvious reinforcements but most of us on here live in anticipation.
I don’t need your permission to post my opinions on here and I have my own opinions of you Tony which il mention to you in person rather than making public insults.

“Time you abandoned”
“Don’t share your attitude”

Tony you are once again telling me what to do.

Have a think before you next post.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2021, 09:57:37 am »

And its supposed to be the current generation that are snowflakes  Huh? Roll Eyes
Pettiness on every thread.
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #193 on: July 21, 2021, 10:40:59 am »

3 Mcgowan - Looks like he can deliver a ball
48 Aloki - looked very assured at the back
Pinnock - poor first touch let him down, he could have had a couple of clean chances otherwise but looks good.
Flores - couple of good touches but mainly absent
Lewis - I wasn't that impressed, definitely need at least one combative midfielder in there
BAS - Got bullied tbh, spent a lot of time on the floor and was not helped by the injury early on. It looks like Brady doesnt trust him when he says he is hurt. He seemed to ignore him for about 15 mins
Kabamba - Looks like a solid target man tbh, hopefully grows into that role for us
Connoly - Much the same as pinnock, looks promising

Defense looked good despite the mix up for the first, the 2nd I'd put down to a lack of presence and pressing in the middle of the park. 
Report Spam   Logged

45Yearsandstillsupporting

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #194 on: July 21, 2021, 10:44:55 am »

So much negativity already.

I didn't think Forest were anything special, but bar the cock up for the 1st goal I thought our defence looked confident on the ball.  If they were knocking it about like that with Curle still in charge I'd be having kittens.  Still new players bedding in, Stamford game poor, but against WHU and Forest we looked good.  Yes, we can't hit the net.  Chuks needs to sort out what he wants to do, you in or out?  I'd say "Out" and we sign a striker.  We'll be OK.  Who doesn't like a rollercoaster? UTC

First post, no axe to grind and happy to be educated with others views.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #195 on: July 21, 2021, 11:37:50 am »

Quite a ridiculous statement frankly!
We will be neither playing Forest or West Ham in the league this season...nor Sileby Rangers for that matter! So how you quickly jump to use words like 'relegation fodder' having scored 8 (EIGHT) goals against varying levels of opposition in friendlies is baffling!

Actually it probably isn't baffling. In a previous post, you seem to be proverbially rubbing your hands with glee at the prospect of Covid heaping more restrictions, cancellations and postponements.
Why? Because any failure on the pitch by the Cobblers will justify your petty self imposed boycott of Sixfields - never mind travelling away!
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #196 on: July 21, 2021, 11:54:57 am »

Teacher's Pet, yes we beat Sileby 6-0 but I class that game more like a playground kickabout with jackets for goal posts. Teams like West Ham, Forest and Birmingham should beat us if they select half decent teams but on the other hand we should not be getting beat by Stamford.
Did not go last night but saw the West Ham game and saw some encouraging signs, we will be there on Saturday.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2021, 12:04:06 pm »

Teacher's Pet, yes we beat Sileby 6-0 but I class that game more like a playground kickabout with jackets for goal posts. Teams like West Ham, Forest and Birmingham should beat us if they select half decent teams but on the other hand we should not be getting beat by Stamford.
Did not go last night but saw the West Ham game and saw some encouraging signs, we will be there on Saturday.

Generally speaking, friendlies are played at a much lower tempo with more time and space afforded on the ball because, frankly, no one wants to be injured in a crunching challenge in a practice match. That will favour teams from a higher level as they are better technically, even (and perhaps especially) when they put out younger sides as that's more the style of play they are used to.

In a competitive match the difference in skill level will be partially bridged by getting in their faces and shaking them up a bit. Yes, on paper we should be beating teams like Stamford but sometimes the "little teams" can be a bit fired up and have a point to prove against pro players and will play with an intensity that bridges the gap in the same way, friendly or not. I wasn't at Stamford so can't say if that was the case here, but there's all sorts of factors that come into account that mean you can read very little into the results.

Personally, the only thing I think they are useful for as a punter is getting used to who is who, who's good at crossing, who's got a bit of pace, who links well with who etc...
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #198 on: July 21, 2021, 12:05:02 pm »

- Football a stark improvement on Curle ball.
- Pinnock the most impressive of the new players.
- Pollock and McWilliams easily the most impressive of the current players.
- BAS was more impressive than I’d expected.
- It’s funny how we see games differently, but contrary to OCoole, I’d have ended the trial of Debayo early in the second half  Grin thought he was nowhere near the standard required and Cam was significantly better. But that’s the beautiful thing about football.

Personally happy to read that Debayo’s trial is over.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 21, 2021, 12:13:30 pm »

I don’t need your permission to post my opinions on here and I have my own opinions of you Tony which il mention to you in person rather than making public insults.

“Time you abandoned”
“Don’t share your attitude”

Tony you are once again telling me what to do.

Have a think before you next post.

Unable to reply as it’s hopelessly of topic.
All the best and see you at the B’ham game.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: