The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 17:21:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

League Two play off final and assorted Cobblers anecdotes of games of old!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: League Two play off final and assorted Cobblers anecdotes of games of old!  (Read 8566 times)
phil_in_npton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« on: May 29, 2021, 21:20:26 pm »

Good Evening

The League Two play off final on Monday sees Morecambe against Newport County.
Who would you like to see remain in League Two?  Which of the two make a nice away trip? Or is your judgment based on who you consider easier opponents next season?

Personally I’d rather see Newport County promoted! 😄

Phil in Northampton
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 22:34:02 pm by phil_in_npton » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 22:00:32 pm »

Don't really mind myself but I wish your team the best of luck.
Report Spam   Logged
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 10:24:14 am »

Nothing personal, but I would prefer Newport to stay down because a mate of ours lives near Stroud and Newport's a cracking awayday from there by train  Roll Eyes

Notwithstanding the above, I wish you guys the best of luck and a great day at Wembley if you have a ticket.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 11:46:01 am »

Hope Newport win, have never taken to Derek Adams. Like Alex Ferguson whenever his team lost they were always the better team and blamed the ref or had another excuse.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 14:40:23 pm »

Newport for me. I’ll go, but I’m not one who likes northern away days. I tend to get a bit depressed once I pass Watford gap. Newport means an overnighter in Bristol....
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 15:04:41 pm »

Just watching the L1 POF what an absolute bell end Appleton is OMG !
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 15:51:46 pm »

Not too bothered but i think you'll win.
Watching Blackpool v Lincoln now.
Awful reffing, watching Morton playing at Wembley again is weird.
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 18:52:13 pm »

Just watching the L1 POF what an absolute bell end Appleton is OMG !

Always great to see Crappleton fall flat on his face. Guy is an absolute myth and has once again been out-managed by someone with genuine humility and tactical acumen.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 21:00:53 pm »

Good Evening

The League Two play off final on Monday sees Morecambe against Newport County.
Who would you like to see remain in League Two?  Which of the two make a nice away trip? Or is your judgment based on who you consider easier opponents next season?

Personally I’d rather see Newport County promoted! 😄

Phil in Northampton
For personal reasons - location and Morecambe being a hole (though Lancaster is great)...prefer Morecambe to get their first promotion!

Tiny Rebel Bar and the Pen & Wig in Newport will do me!
Good luck though!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
phil_in_npton

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 21:23:52 pm »

Good evening !

Cheers guys for the good wishes. Yes I shall be at Wembley, reward for being trust members and contributing monthly ( 4 of us)

Our fifth visit in ten years to Wembley, quite remarkable for a hard up fourth division side. If we go up then no doubt it will be an achievement to not come straight back down. If we lose tomorrow I look forward to us playing at Sixfields again!

Phil in Northampton
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 22:53:04 pm »

All the best for tomorrow.
Report Spam   Logged
Bertie

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 06:42:26 am »

Good luck to Newport for this afternoon. I would probably rather Newport stayed down as I would love a nostalgic visit there to see the Cobblers. Went to UC Cardiff in the 70s, and would often go over to Newport for midweek matches. They were always great fun, loads of goals, sendings off, loads of mud, sheeting rain - brilliant entertainment. Was a great fan of Roddy Jones - Newport's Frank Large - wholehearted, always got stuck in and always seemed to score, but obviously not as good as the great man!
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 16:07:40 pm »

If this is the best of League 2 then we’ve got nothing to worry about, it’s utter garbage.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 16:40:19 pm »

Every playoff gone as wished so far this season. Just Stockport County to complete the full set, though wouldn't be too unhappy with Notts County or Chesterfield to be fair!
Report Spam   Logged
phil_in_npton

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 19:16:22 pm »

Good Evening

Disappointment can come after a match or a season, but inevitably it will come to all football supporters at some time!

Looking forward now to once again playing the Cobblers and coming to Sixfields!

Enjoy the summer!

Phil in Northampton
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2021, 19:22:06 pm »

Good Evening

Disappointment can come after a match or a season, but inevitably it will come to all football supporters at some time!

Looking forward now to once again playing the Cobblers and coming to Sixfields!

Enjoy the summer!

Phil in Northampton

Bad luck mate. You certainly didn't get any help from the referee today. It was never a penalty and their goalies 'assault' should have given you one in the first half.

Hopefully we'll both be up near the top next season.
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2021, 21:12:24 pm »

Bad luck mate. You certainly didn't get any help from the referee today. It was never a penalty and their goalies 'assault' should have given you one in the first half.

Hopefully we'll both be up near the top next season.

Would agree with this, the ref seemed to make two poor calls where it mattered the most. Can forgive the non-penalty decision as the keeper made contact with the player after he headed the ball, but the penalty awarded was ridiculous! It seems like few refs these days have ever played football with the amount of fouls given for such minimal contact. Surely they need to be more suspicious when players are going to ground at they rate that the players are these days?

Unlucky though Phil I thought Newport edged it slightly. Both teams looked solid yet neither looked like scoring for much of it, perhaps due to the other's strong defensive performance. Do you think any of your players might be snapped up this summer? Josh Sheehan for one looks like he's playing at least 1 level below what he is capable of! Also thought the young forward Collins looks like he has a good future ahead of him.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2021, 21:19:59 pm »

They will have struggled to produce a highlights package from that match.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2021, 05:11:00 am »

It was never a penalty, it looked to be a dive and if there was contact it was outside the box.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2021, 07:16:43 am »

If this is the best of League 2 then we’ve got nothing to worry about, it’s utter garbage.

it isn't - they finished between 4th and 7th
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: