The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 02:27:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

All rise for CHELSEA FC. Officially the best team in the world

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All rise for CHELSEA FC. Officially the best team in the world  (Read 7082 times)
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2022, 22:21:35 pm »

Grin Grin The state of your reply Roll Eyes

From the Oxford English Dictionary: an “oligarch” means “a very rich business leader with a great deal of political influence. Especially in Russia”.

I'm not paying $100 for a subscription to it so you'll have to trust that.

And after all this, you still seemed to have missed the point of why these people have had their assets frozen. It's not to "punish them". It's to use their political influence on Putin.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2022, 07:59:45 am »

Grin Grin The state of your reply Roll Eyes

From the Oxford English Dictionary: an “oligarch” means “a very rich business leader with a great deal of political influence. Especially in Russia”.

I'm not paying $100 for a subscription to it so you'll have to trust that.

And after all this, you still seemed to have missed the point of why these people have had their assets frozen. It's not to "punish them". It's to use their political influence on Putin.

I somehow think the greek definition came first but hey ho.
Of course they are being punished. They have no influence on Putin. Putin has been taking a tithe from them for years and does exactly as he pleases.
Report Spam   Logged
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2022, 08:31:38 am »

The English word may derive from the Greek word but as we don't speak Greek here, the English word takes precedent in this country. It's why when you think of the word Concorde you think of the plane rather than the French word for agreement.
Report Spam   Logged

singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2022, 09:24:53 am »

My point is just when was the codicil "Especially Russian" added? Certainly not when the word first entered the dictionary, because back then it would have said "Especially British Royalty".
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2022, 12:30:07 pm »

https://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/13500-roman-abramovich-thread/page/96/#comments

Enjoy!  Grin

Im loving the fact that their dirty money is now catching up with them. Finally. They could now potentially slither their way back to where they came from...very decent 2nd division team, average 1st division (or prem) team. A bit like Southampton or maybe at a push Aston Villa.

The last 25 years or so, they have paid for their place at the top table. Either via RA, or before him Ken Bates who nearly bankrupted them by overspending.

If it wasn't for RA, they would have probably 'done a Portsmouth'....

Check their attendances between mid 70's and mid 90's - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-chelsea/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/631

I was growing up during that time, and recall them being similar to say Nottingham Forest now. A yo yo club. Then they emerged thanks to money they didn't have but still spent, or money the Russian chucked at them.

What comes round goes round!
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2022, 13:50:55 pm »

It does read like the guy who got caught speeding saying "What about everyone else who was speeding officer?!"

Just crazy amounts of money at the top of the game and we are discussing the £1m price difference on a piece of overgrown land  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2022, 15:17:41 pm »

If they have seized his mansion in London surely they can use it for refugees. I mean The Fat Bástard and his mates want you to have one in your homes, while they do fúck all as usual. All those apartments in London that they claim as second homes that you pay for and their palacial country homes that could be used.
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2022, 16:31:58 pm »

I reckon the Russian was dropped because although it has Greek origins it sounds vaguely Russian and contains an anagram of oil - and gas if there's more than one.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2022, 07:19:31 am »

Check their attendances between mid 70's and mid 90's - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-chelsea/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/631

Check anybody’s attendances during that time, possible with the exception of a couple of teams.

I’m appalled to hear any football supporter revel in the demise of any club. Possible with the exception of MK Dons

Chelsea is an historic club, with reasonable success pre RA. Albeit on a much lesser scale.

I think your forgetting the obvious corruption that has taken part at NTFC on several occasions. You might want to chat with the fraud squad, or indeed any Kidderminster Harriers supporter you get within a few yards of.

The truth is, football is full of corruption.
Report Spam   Logged
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2022, 14:11:49 pm »

My point is just when was the codicil "Especially Russian" added? Certainly not when the word first entered the dictionary, because back then it would have said "Especially British Royalty".
I don't know, you'll have to ask the Oxford English Dictionary
Report Spam   Logged

Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2022, 14:12:36 pm »

https://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/13500-roman-abramovich-thread/page/96/#comments

Enjoy!  Grin

Im loving the fact that their dirty money is now catching up with them. Finally. They could now potentially slither their way back to where they came from...very decent 2nd division team, average 1st division (or prem) team. A bit like Southampton or maybe at a push Aston Villa.

The last 25 years or so, they have paid for their place at the top table. Either via RA, or before him Ken Bates who nearly bankrupted them by overspending.

If it wasn't for RA, they would have probably 'done a Portsmouth'....

I was growing up during that time, and recall them being similar to say Nottingham Forest now. A yo yo club. Then they emerged thanks to money they didn't have but still spent, or money the Russian chucked at them.

What comes round goes round!
They were doing ok under Mathew Harding
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2022, 14:33:34 pm »

Irrespective of our allegiences, it's never good to see any club go out of busines for issues outside of what happens on the field of play.
Yes, we can all be jealous of the 'sugar daddy' or the 'dodgy' financing of others but we wouldn't turn it down if we were offered the same.
Yes, I enjoy the fact that one of the 'big teams' are in difficulty but I wouldn't like any club to cease operating completely, except perhaps the MK Donkeys, but then again I'd only want them to re-start from where they should have started from originally. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2022, 14:49:31 pm »

Irrespective of our allegiences, it's never good to see any club go out of busines for issues outside of what happens on the field of play.
Yes, we can all be jealous of the 'sugar daddy' or the 'dodgy' financing of others but we wouldn't turn it down if we were offered the same.
Yes, I enjoy the fact that one of the 'big teams' are in difficulty but I wouldn't like any club to cease operating completely, except perhaps the MK Donkeys, but then again I'd only want them to re-start from where they should have started from originally. Wink

Absolutely spot on mate. There’s something wrong with another supporter wanting to see someone else’s club die.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2022, 11:58:37 am »

Check anybody’s attendances during that time, possible with the exception of a couple of teams.

I’m appalled to hear any football supporter revel in the demise of any club. Possible with the exception of MK Dons

Chelsea is an historic club, with reasonable success pre RA. Albeit on a much lesser scale.

I think your forgetting the obvious corruption that has taken part at NTFC on several occasions. You might want to chat with the fraud squad, or indeed any Kidderminster Harriers supporter you get within a few yards of.

The truth is, football is full of corruption.

Not sure if you are quoting me here mate; Im not revelling in any demise. I just said that I hope they go back down to the level they were at (their natural level) prior to all of the £ being pumped in. I don't like Chelsea...probably my Leicester allegiances, Im sure you will know about (back in the 80's)! Sure Chelsea will be alright either way, 'posh brand' and all that.

As for the support. Come on; https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-premier-league-1985-1986/1/ - just a random season I picked, you are 8th on that list. Before Sheffield Wednesday who are in 7th.

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-premier-league-1990-1991/1/ - here's another one, 1990. 12th that season, behind the other Sheffield, the might blades.

Mid table top flight team, with the occasional flirtation with the 2nd tier is about your level...without all the money that you don't earn!  Grin

We agree about MK Dons though. The only club Id want to see go pop!

Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2022, 12:30:13 pm »

We agree about MK Dons though. The only club Id want to see go pop!

I'd pay to see that.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2022, 17:47:09 pm »

Not sure if you are quoting me here mate; Im not revelling in any demise. I just said that I hope they go back down to the level they were at (their natural level) prior to all of the £ being pumped in. I don't like Chelsea...probably my Leicester allegiances

I remember it well.. Climbing through a fence in the middle of the Leicester home end with about 500 other Chelsea supporters. To the back drop of Geno by Dexy's Midnight Runners.

Chelsea have enjoyed huge success under Abramovic. But the Journey was well under way under Matthew Harding, prior to his unfortunate death.

Just have a look at some of Leicester's deals and where in fact a lot of the money in the premiership comes from.

Report Spam   Logged
MCHammer

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Apple User
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2022, 19:02:23 pm »

As I said on the redevelopment thread the other day we are all hypocrits about our morals when it comes to money and football.

To think it took the brink of World War 3 before people finally questioned the morality of the money in football and even now we are still doing it VERY selectively.   
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: