The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 10:08:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Cobblers v England

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cobblers v England  (Read 4582 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2021, 13:06:44 pm »

We parked the bus after about 20 minutes.

Its not the losing that hurts for me, its the fact that we've waited 55 years to get to a final and it didn't really feel like we gave it a go.

We sat deeper and deeper inviting them on, changes came to late and were tactically poor.

Might be true but pointless criticism without an constructive opinion. So who would you have brought on, why and when?

Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2021, 13:49:29 pm »

You are probably right but it’s hard to beat that Cobblers tingly feeling you get when we achieve against the all the odds. Felt sorry for Radford as that pen miss may well haunt him! Big argument with some who criticised your the selection of at least two very young pen takers. I suggested that was hindsight kicking in! Then all hell broke out!
Ronnie Radford of Hereford United fame? 😉

Where did Rashford ever learn to take a shocking attempt at a penalty as that???

Not going to get into tactics over the ninety minutes - Italy were obviously having to step up in the second half - and they did!

However, cannot understand why Southgate chooses Sancho and Saka (who was brilliant against Germany but utter garbage last night - even before the penalty fiasco) over Sterling, Shaw or Phillips!
No, I don't accept at such a level, it's down to volunteering only!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2021, 14:45:39 pm »

Let's not underestimate the Italians. Undefeated in over 30 games and it wasnt San Marino they were playing every game. As usual the media go over the top and build us up to the point most people think we just have to turn up.
Klinsmann called it right at halftime go for the second and dont sit back, but you just knew that was going to happen. Football is bigger than the sum of its parts, something we're still learning while the Italians are Masters.
God knows what the hysteria will be like if we get to a similar position next year.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2021, 14:48:28 pm »

So many similarities between the two.
That was our 'Grimsby' moment and most of us will be lucky to see Cobblers in the Championship, or England win a tournament.
Strange pen takers but the boys did well. After Pickford's second (brilliant) pen save, I thought we were going to do it.
After Woodys penalty save I thought the same.
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2021, 15:07:06 pm »

Might be true but pointless criticism without an constructive opinion. So who would you have brought on, why and when?

We have an abundance of attacking talent and a good balance of those good in possession and others with the guile to get in behind and hurt teams. The quality runs through the squad.

In my opinion, each time we set up we do so to nullify the opposition rather than impose ourselves.

I would have like to have seen Mount, who was ineffective after the break replaced by Grealish and Sancho introduced at the expense of Trippier to try and get us on the front foot. Instead we sat back after 20 minutes getting deeper and deeper, with the gap between midfield and attack getting wider and wider.

A lack of fight and desire.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2021, 15:21:23 pm »

We have an abundance of attacking talent and a good balance of those good in possession and others with the guile to get in behind and hurt teams. The quality runs through the squad.

In my opinion, each time we set up we do so to nullify the opposition rather than impose ourselves.

I would have like to have seen Mount, who was ineffective after the break replaced by Grealish and Sancho introduced at the expense of Trippier to try and get us on the front foot. Instead we sat back after 20 minutes getting deeper and deeper, with the gap between midfield and attack getting wider and wider.

And as it got wider and wider, it dragged Kane back to try and get involved. That meant when the ball did go forwards there was no one there to do anything with it!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
claretparrot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2021, 15:25:16 pm »

Agree with a lot of this, although certainly not the final line. Do you really think that any of them didn't 'want it enough' in the biggest international fixture England has played in for over half a century?

Grealish on for Mount would have made a lot of sense. We desperately needed someone calm/confident enough to get hold of the thing and carry it.

Calling for Sancho instead of Saka may be hindsight talking a little bit. The occasion was clearly too big for Saka, but given the tournament he'd had until last night I don't think that was predictable.
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2021, 15:46:53 pm »

Agree with a lot of this, although certainly not the final line. Do you really think that any of them didn't 'want it enough' in the biggest international fixture England has played in for over half a century?

Grealish on for Mount would have made a lot of sense. We desperately needed someone calm/confident enough to get hold of the thing and carry it.

Calling for Sancho instead of Saka may be hindsight talking a little bit. The occasion was clearly too big for Saka, but given the tournament he'd had until last night I don't think that was predictable.

I’m all honesty I didn’t seem much fight. I didn’t see us take the game to them, it was like a training match, attack v defence. They didn’t seem as up for it as they should have been.

Yes nothing against Saka to be fair. Could have been any from Sancho, Saka or Rashford to come on and get us on the front foot.
Report Spam   Logged
Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2021, 16:39:52 pm »

I’m over it now. Same old England. Great achievement getting to the final and Italy were there for the taking, but as usual we didn’t take ‘em.
Oh so you're over it now are you. I still haven't got over losing to West Germany in 1970!!! Cry
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2021, 16:49:32 pm »

Oh so you're over it now are you. I still haven't got over losing to West Germany in 1970!!! Cry

I haven’t got over losing to Leatherhead in 1976!!! Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2021, 20:42:50 pm »

You've got to love the country that feeds you, heals you and provides on whole safe place for you to live. So for me the team that stands at the head of the realm should get your undivided support.

Over my dead body!
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2021, 21:03:18 pm »

You've got to love the country that feeds you, heals you and provides on whole safe place for you to live. So for me the team that stands at the head of the realm should get your undivided support.

I do, just not as much as NTFC.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2021, 22:43:12 pm »

Along with Mysterious Man I basically agree with the summing up of last night efforts. Certainly Grealish should have come on at half time. Mount I like , the Captain should have led the 'troops' better, no sweat, muddy knees or hoarse from shouting from the 'Captain'. Sancho might be a clever player but lacked the confidence to slot home a penalty as was Saka. If Southgate called for penalty volunteers he should have considered the applications and then said it will be you, you, you , you and you etc will be taking the penalty's....end of!  I admire their courage in volunteering but Southgate should have selected the players himself. Coolie was quite right to criticise Rashford penalty effort. The bit in bold is probably hindsight talking. Finally your appraisal on the players attitude ; one look at Rice, Mount, Maguire, Phillips, Pickford et al indicated to me at least that that they were.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2021, 22:46:56 pm »

I’m afraid I’m discounting your opinion Melly. You decided to abandon your post and betray this Sceptred Isle in exchange for the Dingos and bouncy marsupials. So you’re out….
Fair point well made.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
guest1269

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2021, 12:53:28 pm »

I haven’t got over losing to Leatherhead in 1976!!! Tongue

The Leatherhead Lip (Chris Kelly) giving it large and some of their fans none to friendly either - showing our age here!
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2021, 16:26:32 pm »

The Leatherhead Lip (Chris Kelly) giving it large and some of their fans none to friendly either - showing our age here!

Similar the year after as well at Tooting and Mitcham with skirmishes around the ground, Chelsea fans allegedly, at least we won that one but lost at home to bloody Enfield next round. Angry
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: