The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 17:56:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

New Trust statement on club finances

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Trust statement on club finances  (Read 35257 times)
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #640 on: July 26, 2021, 11:45:04 am »

Thanks Melbourne, I do understand the mechanisms you describe but that wasn't really my point.
Sorry mate, with regards to your other point I kind of stated this in another post below. Whilst I haven’t checked the actual figures they seem to be adding 25% of turnover onto the debt per annum, which seems pretty average on face value. I stand to be corrected though.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
guest168

« Reply #641 on: July 26, 2021, 11:48:28 am »

BOTN, so receiving £6.8m and selling the club without telling anyone,  is just the same in your book, as the Trust supposedly talking to the National media, that our club's owners sold the club for £6.8m to unknown Chinese investors, who run a very very small business, without telling anyone?

Thats why you get accused of support KT, please show me where you have questioned or raised concerns about this or anything else regarding KT/DB bad running of our club

Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 26, 2021, 11:50:28 am »

Hi Melly, Just had a look and it's a mine field. Some clubs don't issue P&L's, most don't list fixed assets in the millions, like we do. Some have had cup runs or players sales to turn losses to profits etc

Accounts only show a small piece of the picture, it is there if you look hard enough but you also need to look at the business itself, what the trend is, what's coming up around the corner etc.

Generally we all know that most football clubs are badly run and are either:

1. the plaything of their owners, who eventually write off their losses and sail off into the sunset.  - usually for PR purposes, to raise their or their company profile
2. there as they love the club / community,
3. because they want to control the assets within the football club (usually land), and the higher you go up the leagues the more money you lose. (perhaps why we are in L2  Grin)

The worse one for me is the 3. They are there just for their own benefit.  With all honesty, which one are our owners?

Supporters of 1 & 2 can and will go through periods of success and heartache but at least something is happening

The issue for me has always been the potential of NTFC, big catchment area, the history, lack of big, big clubs nearby, central location within the country, 25 acres of land, - all more than enough to support a modest Championship club. At least with 1 & 2 there is a chance this might happen.

It’s a fair point. For me it’s a bit chicken and egg though mate. Do you develop the ground to entice more support and progress, or do it to accommodate the extra demand and a a result of progress. IMO that’s subjective and is probably one of the main reasons that everyone on here spends so much time arguing.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
West Stand

View Profile
500 Posts Search Combination
« Reply #643 on: July 26, 2021, 11:51:46 am »

MC Hammer seems to be ITK so maybe he could answer the questions I posted a few days ago but got no reply. They are as follows:

Question 1, have KT, DB or NTFC denied that what the Trust said about the Chinese money was true ?
 Question 2, the Trust have took a lot of stick for declining a Zoom meeting, which I personally think was a mistake, but KT has got off scot free for declining to provide written answers, aren't his actions exactly the same ? At least the Trust declined his offer, he didn't even reply to the Trust. What are people's opinion on this ?
 Question 3, Re the East Stand, NTFC said on 25th June 2021 "We are positive about the direction we are heading and felt confident enough that a few months ago we were able to commission these conceptual images to show both the council, supporters and stakeholders what we are trying to achieve with the East Stand". It is a know fact that the plans displayed at the Open Evening are over 5 years old, so isn't that statement a little misleading ?
 Question 4, Re the "Hatchet job" alleged in the leaked letter , isn't it likely that these papers that ran the story, got in touch with the Trust for a comment on the story, rather than the Trust ringing them and asking them to run the story ? This is the Mail and the Athletic we are talking about, not the Chron, where, I've heard that NTFC have been known to mention withdrawal of co-operation if some stories are run.

Someone will have fed them the story, they wouldn't have found it off their own back.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #644 on: July 26, 2021, 12:01:36 pm »

It's a fair (if longwinded  Wink) challenge, CJ.

To frame it another way, though... do you think the club could have shaved, on average, close to £1m per year off its cash outflows and still be where it is now? I don't claim to know the answer, but I do know that's a big old gap to bridge with efficiency savings.

Edit: it is worth noting that the club was in significant debt during the Cardoza era, including before the council loan was drawn down. In fact, at June 2012 the net liabilities were c.£7.6m so greater than the latest set of accounts. Cardoza used to talk about getting close to breaking even, but the club weren't publicly issuing a P&L for most (or all, cba to check!) of his time at the helm.
You're probably right about the longwinded bit  Cheesy

I'm not aware of the correct figures surrounding spending and budgets during the Cardoza years but my memory of it is that they initially splashed the cash expecting to be able to buy promotion and then stay in a higher league and when this didn't happen and we ended up back where we came from they tightened the purse strings demonstrating in doing so that we could be a self sustaining or almost self sustaining league club. There's probably a clue to be had in looking at those league two clubs that are smaller in terms of turnover than us to see what can be achieved currently on smaller budgets? It may not be a million pound saving a year but I can't help but think that our spending in the past six years has been more profligate than prudent.
Could they have kept us where we are (a professional league club) restricted the losses to 2 million and spent what they 'promised' to on the stand in doing so currying sufficien favour with the necessary parties to get themselves this land deal?
I think on balance most interested parties would have at least been happier with that approach.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: July 26, 2021, 12:09:40 pm »

I’ve touched on this before but there’s some basic stats about EFL finances here Page 24 onwards.

https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/uk/Documents/sports-business-group/deloitte-uk-annual-review-of-football-finance-2020.pdf
Report Spam   Logged

MCHammer

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Apple User
« Reply #646 on: July 26, 2021, 12:10:03 pm »

MC Hammer seems to be ITK so maybe he could answer the questions I posted a few days ago but got no reply. They are as follows:

Question 1, have KT, DB or NTFC denied that what the Trust said about the Chinese money was true ?
 Question 2, the Trust have took a lot of stick for declining a Zoom meeting, which I personally think was a mistake, but KT has got off scot free for declining to provide written answers, aren't his actions exactly the same ? At least the Trust declined his offer, he didn't even reply to the Trust. What are people's opinion on this ?
 Question 3, Re the East Stand, NTFC said on 25th June 2021 "We are positive about the direction we are heading and felt confident enough that a few months ago we were able to commission these conceptual images to show both the council, supporters and stakeholders what we are trying to achieve with the East Stand". It is a know fact that the plans displayed at the Open Evening are over 5 years old, so isn't that statement a little misleading ?
 Question 4, Re the "Hatchet job" alleged in the leaked letter , isn't it likely that these papers that ran the story, got in touch with the Trust for a comment on the story, rather than the Trust ringing them and asking them to run the story ? This is the Mail and the Athletic we are talking about, not the Chron, where, I've heard that NTFC have been known to mention withdrawal of co-operation if some stories are run.

I'm flattered.  However if I really was that much ITK I wouldn't be having to ask all these questions would I?  Funny thing is you were on the Trust Board for many years and are therefore far more likely ITK than me.

I didn't answer cause they were pretty random questions that I'm not really sure add anything we don't already know.  However happy to do so if you do the same.

1. No they haven't that I'm aware of.  Or maybe they have? I don't get to see the "closed" correspondence or the secret meetings the Trust held with him when they asked him about so I don't know.  Maybe you know as this all happened around the time you were still on the board?  What did he say at the time?

2. Did he get of scot free?  I see plenty of people criticising him for not answering you being one of them.  The Trust publicly removed their support and wrote to the council as well so it's hardly like he's not been impacted.  I would also challenge whether he didn't respond.  He just didn't respond in the form the Trust were insisting on which even you admit you thought was a mistake.

3. Not sure what the issue is here and what you have a problem with.  I'm assuming by conceptual images he means the photographic style ones that show how the front and back of the stadium will look.  Are you saying you had seen these before and they are 5 years old?  Sorry struggling with this one as I'm not sure what issue you have with this anyway and why others would be concerned.

4. You can probably answer this question far better than me.  In fact I'd be suprised if you didn't know the actual answer as some of this stuff definitely happened while you were still on the board.  KT was pretty clear in his allegations that the Trust or representatives on their behalf were approaching media outlets with this information not the way you describe it?  He also said he had evidence to back this up.  So did they?  

In fact let me put this scenario to you and you can comment as I answered your questions.  If a Supporters Trust organisation came about information of potential financial wrong doing by the clubs owners what do you think they should do?  Approach the press?  Report to the relevant authorities?  Approach the owners directly?  And if they did any or all of the previous at what stage should their membership be informed?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #647 on: July 26, 2021, 12:20:53 pm »

How do you know that they haven’t?
You've proven my point.
I / we dont so its opinion and assumption based on my own interpretations of what has been released.
Report Spam   Logged
MCHammer

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Apple User
« Reply #648 on: July 26, 2021, 12:21:43 pm »

How do you know that they haven’t?

Do you know whether they have or haven't reported something?  Not trying to throw you under the bus here.  None of us know because they won't tell us whether they have or not.  In fact they won't even tell you if they even have a problem with any of it.  It's fairly clear they do as they wrote to KT last summer saying something.  We just don't know what because we are not allowed to know.  Open and honest remember the mantra.  According to them they are "just stating facts" and allowing individuals to "draw their own conclusions".

Frankly I don't understand why you or any other supporter would be comfortable with this kind of approach from an organisation that is representing you.
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #649 on: July 26, 2021, 12:57:09 pm »

1. No they haven't that I'm aware of.  I wondered if I had missed it, so they haven't disputed it ?

2. Did he get of scot free?  I see plenty of people criticising him for not answering you being one of them.  The Trust publicly removed their support and wrote to the council as well so it's hardly like he's not been impacted.  I would also challenge whether he didn't respond.  He just didn't respond in the form the Trust were insisting on which even you admit you thought was a mistake.I thought it was a mistake by the Trust and NTFC but on here KT has received very little criticism compared to what the Trust has

3. Not sure what the issue is here and what you have a problem with.  I'm assuming by conceptual images he means the photographic style ones that show how the front and back of the stadium will look.  Are you saying you had seen these before and they are 5 years old?  Sorry struggling with this one as I'm not sure what issue you have with this anyway and why others would be concerned.So you don't think  NTFC were attempting to give the impression that the Open Evening was to discuss the "progress" of the East Stand ? 

4. You can probably answer this question far better than me.  In fact I'd be suprised if you didn't know the actual answer as some of this stuff definitely happened while you were still on the board.  KT was pretty clear in his allegations that the Trust or representatives on their behalf were approaching media outlets with this information not the way you describe it?  He also said he had evidence to back this up.  So did they?  There were no allegations from the Trust board whilst I was on there.

In fact let me put this scenario to you and you can comment as I answered your questions.  If a Supporters Trust organisation came about information of potential financial wrong doing by the clubs owners what do you think they should do?  Approach the press?  Report to the relevant authorities?  Approach the owners directly?  And if they did any or all of the previous at what stage should their membership be informed?You've said yourself that the Trust were in contact with KT, but I haven't seen anyone being accused of "Financial wrong doing" As far as I can see the Trust have put figures out there, NTFC have not denied them, so it's up to everyone to make up their own minds.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #650 on: July 26, 2021, 13:32:34 pm »

Do you know whether they have or haven't reported something?  Not trying to throw you under the bus here.  None of us know because they won't tell us whether they have or not.  In fact they won't even tell you if they even have a problem with any of it.  It's fairly clear they do as they wrote to KT last summer saying something.  We just don't know what because we are not allowed to know.  Open and honest remember the mantra.  According to them they are "just stating facts" and allowing individuals to "draw their own conclusions".

Frankly I don't understand why you or any other supporter would be comfortable with this kind of approach from an organisation that is representing you.
Again I think that’s a question for the Trust, I fully agree that the trust could be a bit more inclusive and transparent BUT these meetings are highly confidential and probably commercial sensitive so most likely under NDA therefore not for public consumption.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
claretparrot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #651 on: July 26, 2021, 13:33:20 pm »

Unless I've missed something that report uses a very broad brush stroke. The two figures which stand out for me are the average league two playing wage bill of 3 million and the average turnover per club of 4 million.
Do we really have a wave bill of 3 million? Take out 500k out and give the rest to the 22 senior pros and you average wages for them become 113k pa each.  Am I being naive about something here, they don't get awarded that much on average do they? I fully accept that football is in the **** financially generally but that's like saying your average aussie drinks 30 units (or however many) per week and extrapolating from that they all do. That average is not representative in terms of the effect it'll have on the health of those boring fckuers who don't drink at all, but reading a similar statistical average you might believe that all Aussie male are living ten years less than they should because they are fcuking their livers and any other organs that care to join in.
There will be examples within the 24 league two clubs I'm sure of ones who's wage ratio to turnover is nothing like 75%. Shouldn't we be taking a lesson  from their book?
And the other thing I think people are forgetting is that DB took control of this club not for ego or because he's a fan, he took over because he wanted to turn a profit in the form of a land deal, so why has he let his chairman and ceo get away with such a flagrant overspend when all that was needed on his account was league status?

With respect, CJ, this last bit of your post is symptomatic of the second biggest problem in the way this debate is being conducted. I'm not having a go at you personally but there are a couple of themes that dictate we're all just going round in circles.

The #1 biggest problem is one lots of other posters have touched on - absolutism. The second is something you've just done and it's also common elsewhere on social media: the tendency to say whatever one likes with no sense of duty to justify or back it up.

Who says there is an overspend? Who says it is flagrant? That is based on your own assumptions & calculations and, by your own admission, you are no expert.

Who says all the current ownership wants is to maintain league status? I would say there is significant evidence to the contrary and, even if that is their sole aim, to drop to the most shoestring business model out there would seem to me to be a very risky strategy indeed. You might even call it reckless - just like spending £1m more each year than 'you really need to'?
Report Spam   Logged
guest168

« Reply #652 on: July 26, 2021, 13:43:00 pm »

With respect, CJ, this last bit of your post is symptomatic of the second biggest problem in the way this debate is being conducted. I'm not having a go at you personally but there are a couple of themes that dictate we're all just going round in circles.

The #1 biggest problem is one lots of other posters have touched on - absolutism. The second is something you've just done and it's also common elsewhere on social media: the tendency to say whatever one likes with no sense of duty to justify or back it up.

Who says there is an overspend? Who says it is flagrant? That is based on your own assumptions & calculations and, by your own admission, you are no expert.

Who says all the current ownership wants is to maintain league status? I would say there is significant evidence to the contrary and, even if that is their sole aim, to drop to the most shoestring business model out there would seem to me to be a very risky strategy indeed. You might even call it reckless - just like spending £1m more each year than 'you really need to'?

Please Please Please show us the evidence.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #653 on: July 26, 2021, 13:48:11 pm »

Again I think that’s a question for the Trust, I fully agree that the trust could be a bit more inclusive and transparent BUT these meetings are highly confidential and probably commercial sensitive so most likely under NDA therefore not for public consumption.
Tongue in cheek, you called me James a few times... now you sound like Kelvin  Wink Grin Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
claretparrot

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 26, 2021, 13:59:18 pm »

Please Please Please show us the evidence.

Grin ...it's a bit disingenuous but I take your point.

The most recent piece of evidence that springs to mind is the decision to sack Curle. As owner, if all you cared about was staying in the football league, why would you sack (and pay up) a manager just because they looked like getting you relegated from L1?
Report Spam   Logged
guest168

« Reply #655 on: July 26, 2021, 14:20:55 pm »

good answer Parrot,  I expect to appease and keep the fans on board  -  as he needs them in his deal with WNC

The appointment in itself demonstrates the lack of ambition - Curle had never achieve promotion and was hardly an upcoming, unproven manager

Don't understand giving him a 2 year deal on promotion in June, then not supporting him enough in January to sack him in February. 6 managers in 6 years tells its own story, 1 common dominator - KT

Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #656 on: July 26, 2021, 14:22:04 pm »

Non taken Parrot.
OK so I don't know that all the current ownership want to do is maintain league status but I'm as certain  as I need to be to know that the owner is not here for egotistical or philanthropic reasons, would you agree? What else is he here for then, is it not safe to assume that he invested in NTFC as a going concern in order to make himself wealthier and considerably so, given the overt risk involved? Why therefore it is not also safe to assume that he would want to work to best business practice by minimising losses rather than spunk money arbitrarily in a vain attempt at on field success? What commercial sense does that make? He is a very successful businessman.
I can only see any merit from our club owners point of view of increasing losses beyond necessary if it is done as a method of upping the anti and therefore pressure on the council and other involved parties to get them to agree to a deal because the consequences of no deal is no club, or if it has been achieved by incompetence. Those for me are the two options. The fact the average league two club has operating losses of 1million pa is a red herring. If I was standing in DB's shoes I would see average as failure.
Report Spam   Logged
claretparrot

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 26, 2021, 14:28:22 pm »

Non taken Parrot.
OK so I don't know that all the current ownership want to do is maintain league status but I'm as certain  as I need to be to know that the owner is not here for egotistical or philanthropic reasons, would you agree? What else is he here for then, is it not safe to assume that he invested in NTFC as a going concern in order to make himself wealthier and considerably so, given the overt risk involved? Why therefore it is not also safe to assume that he would want to work to best business practice by minimising losses rather than spunk money arbitrarily in a vain attempt at on field success? What commercial sense does that make? He is a very successful businessman.
I can only see any merit from our club owners point of view of increasing losses beyond necessary if it is done as a method of upping the anti and therefore pressure on the council and other involved parties to get them to agree to a deal because the consequences of no deal is no club, or if it has been achieved by incompetence. Those for me are the two options. The fact the average league two club has operating losses of 1million pa is a red herring. If I was standing in DB's shoes I would see average as failure.

Why are they mutually exclusive? If the figures that have been chucked around on here, and the evil schemes afoot for KT/DB to extract the whole lot, are anything near accurate then they can lose a fair chunk having a crack at on-field success for fun and still walk away well up on the deal.

Let's be absolutely clear, if these guys cared about their pockets and nothing else, they wouldn't be here and nor would their money. That is unless they're thick as pig s**t, and I suspect your guess on that front would be the same as mine.

None of this means I think the sun shines out their backsides or that I'm happy with the stand etc. etc. It's just reality as I see it.

As an aside, that £3m wages figure in the Deloitte report is all club staff and includes signing-on fees, bonuses, other benefits and employers' NI. So your £113k will be very toppy if you're trying to get to an average first team salary.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 14:30:53 pm by claretparrot » Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #658 on: July 26, 2021, 14:30:05 pm »

good answer Parrot,  I expect to appease and keep the fans on board  -  as he needs them in his deal with WNC

The appointment in itself demonstrates the lack of ambition - Curle had never achieve promotion and was hardly an upcoming, unproven manager

Don't understand giving him a 2 year deal on promotion in June, then not supporting him enough in January to sack him in February. 6 managers in 6 years tells its own story, 1 common dominator - KT

Absolutely correct, what is also a common factor is the willingness pay-off managers and replace tem, hardly the actions of someone who doesn't care about the club. However being the old cynic I am I do wonder if the change in managers and hopefully pushing us straight back up is more of a way to make the club more attractive to prespective buyers? though I'm not sure if being a league higher would command a higher price.
Report Spam   Logged
claretparrot

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 26, 2021, 14:33:25 pm »

Nice spin, but I was talking about the specific claim that all they want is to keep the club in the football league until their pockets are full. I wasn't saying KT has risen to save us all.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: