The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 07:18:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Sweet Caroline

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweet Caroline  (Read 4853 times)
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 09:57:58 am »

We nicked the equaliser off Chelsea. How about going the whole hog and incorporating one step beyond, or Chelsea dagger  Grin Grin

And you call yourself a Chelsea fan? Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 10:26:53 am »

It should be something unique. Sweet Caroline will be half the grounds around the country.
We can’t have had many truly unique football songs over the years.

"I was born under the Hotel End."
"Knocked kneed chicken."
"Noel Noel."
Not sure if anyone else did their own versions in the olden days. Daresay Hotel End could easily have been replaced with someone elses end, Stretford End maybe.
Report Spam   Logged
Risdene

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Level 4
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2021, 10:35:09 am »

Keep it local and amend the words on Bauhaus's  Ziggy Stardust.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2021, 10:53:03 am »

"Knocked kneed chicken."
"Noel Noel."
Not sure if anyone else did their own versions in the olden days. Daresay Hotel End could easily have been replaced with someone elses end, Stretford End maybe.

I was born under da CHELSEA SHED
Knives are made for stabbing,
Guns are made to shoot,
If you come down da CHELSEA SHED,
We'll all stick in da boot,

or

I was born in the Stretford End,
Boots are made for bootin',
Scarves are made to wave,
If you see a City fan,
You put him in his grave.

or Charlton/Leeds
I was saying goodbye to my horse,
And as I was saying goodbye to my horse,
Goodbye Horse...

I'd be surprised if we actually have many/any originals.
It's hard to get something brand new going, especially at our level!
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2021, 11:21:10 am »

What about knocked kneed chicken and Noel Noel?
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2021, 11:30:14 am »

What about knocked kneed chicken and Noel Noel?

Bow/knock legged chicken/knock kneed hen did the rounds, Everton, Brighton, Leeds etc.
United used Noel for Noel Cantwell, so assuming it was a variation on that. It's been around as long as Christmas  Tongue

Fields of green is probably ours, or at least most associated with us.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2021, 11:44:03 am »

Keep it local and amend the words on Bauhaus's  Ziggy Stardust.

Bauhaus would be a good shout. Not Ziggy Stardust though, wasn't that originally by someone else? Can't remember who though.
What about "In the Flat Field" which, I think, actually had some sort of Northampton connotations.
Not many other singers/bands with Northampton/County connections that I'd really want serenading our goal celebrations;
Des O Connor, Freddy Fingers Lee, Coast to Coast Tongue

Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2021, 11:57:40 am »

If we're going with a song by someone local, I can't believe everyone is overlooking the fact that Faye Tozer came from Northampton. I'm sure there are plenty of ditties in the Steps back catalogue we could use although, to be fair, the most obvious and appropriate one was actually a cover of a Bee Gees' song...
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2021, 12:06:55 pm »

If we're going with a song by someone local, I can't believe everyone is overlooking the fact that Faye Tozer came from Northampton. I'm sure there are plenty of ditties in the Steps back catalogue we could use although, to be fair, the most obvious and appropriate one was actually a cover of a Bee Gees' song...

They could play that when the other team scores.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2021, 13:21:23 pm »

It has to be anthemic so everyone who wants to joins in.
Boots was and is the obvious choice to me. The younger contingent could quickly turn it into quite an intimidating song if a bit of passion was employed as a walk on recital.
The Sixfields Boys tune and the line 'going all the way to the top' (from memory, I still have my copy somewhere) would be good if a goal celebration tune was insisted upon.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2021, 13:30:03 pm »

This was popular in the Hotel End back in the ‘60’s used to play it a lot prior to the match

Only if it’s sung as Deyn Teyn.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2021, 14:28:47 pm »

Knives are made for stabbing,
Guns are made to shoot,
If you come down da CHELSEA SHED,
We'll all stick in da boot,

or

Boots are made for bootin',
Scarves are made to wave,
If you see a City fan,
You put him in his grave.

or Charlton/Leeds
And as I was saying goodbye to my horse,
Goodbye Horse...

I'd be surprised if we actually have many/any originals.
It's hard to get something brand new going, especially at our level!

It became the case that everyone eventually ended up singing 'horse.' It's actually an old navy shanty that refers to men going to sea, and saying goodbye to their whores. Wink
Report Spam   Logged
BrixworthCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2021, 15:04:34 pm »

Or just keep singing that IRA song that so many people seem to think is still something that should be sung in 2021  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2021, 15:24:10 pm »

It has to be anthemic so everyone who wants to joins in.
Boots was and is the obvious choice to me. The younger contingent could quickly turn it into quite an intimidating song if a bit of passion was employed as a walk on recital.
The Sixfields Boys tune and the line 'going all the way to the top' (from memory, I still have my copy somewhere) would be good if a goal celebration tune was insisted upon.

My thinking too* - some of the suggestions on Bauhaus who to me play tuneless mutterings with iron age hard rock beating out is eminently unsuitable. The taylor made for us is ' These Boots etc' and could work if chorused in an intimidating/passion manner.  The tune I remember from the more successful periods of Cobblers fortunes is ' were going up again, up up' and was often belted out unashamedly gleeful!

* No way does this suggest or insinuate the same repetitive identical thinking - far from it Cool

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 15:26:19 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2021, 15:30:19 pm »

Or just keep singing that IRA song that so many people seem to think is still something that should be sung in 2021  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Its sung at most away games by a relatively small group of 'singers' (loose term that) - always thought Uncle Dan and Coolie were involved. Didn't bother me and others at all
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2021, 16:30:05 pm »

My thinking too* - some of the suggestions on Bauhaus who to me play tuneless mutterings with iron age hard rock beating out is eminently unsuitable. The taylor made for us is ' These Boots etc' and could work if chorused in an intimidating/passion manner.  The tune I remember from the more successful periods of Cobblers fortunes is ' were going up again, up up' and was often belted out unashamedly gleeful!

* No way does this suggest or insinuate the same repetitive identical thinking - far from it Cool

'Hard rock' Huh?Huh?Huh??  .... Pete Murphy would love that  Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2021, 17:28:04 pm »

Couldn't disagree more, Evers. But if not Bauhaus, then surely it has to be something from Love and Rockets. Ball of Confusion would be most appropriate  Grin but I suspect Evers would prefer one of these. Wink

Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2021, 18:31:51 pm »

While fans of other clubs are trying to distance themselves from the ubiquitous choon, including Oxford United, who have some claim to this but have a whole thread on their forum about the cringeworthyness of adopting it,would be chillingly embarrassing to try and steal, sorry adopt something so unoriginal!
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2021, 18:35:10 pm »

"Knocked kneed chicken."
"Noel Noel."
The thread was about pipe music when we scored...no?
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2021, 18:37:38 pm »

While fans of other clubs are trying to distance themselves from the ubiquitous choon, including Oxford United, who have some claim to this but have a whole thread on their forum about the cringeworthyness of adopting it,would be chillingly embarrassing to try and steal, sorry adopt something so unoriginal!

Couldn’t agree more.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: