The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:14:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

iFollow

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iFollow  (Read 3115 times)
guest1269

Badges: (View All)
« on: August 14, 2021, 21:23:45 pm »

So taking some of the threads from the Colchester game and folks complaining they couldn’t stream the game - my understanding was if you had an UK IP address you could watch away games but not home games - non uk residents or an overseas billing address and IP (so a vpn is not sufficient) can stream both home and away - it seems now UK residents can see no Saturday 15.00 KO game so why the f*** would anyone subscribe to iFollow? - is this a change of policy or have I missed something for the last 3 years?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ryan Amoo 14

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 21:55:31 pm »

So taking some of the threads from the Colchester game and folks complaining they couldn’t stream the game - my understanding was if you had an UK IP address you could watch away games but not home games - non uk residents or an overseas billing address and IP (so a vpn is not sufficient) can stream both home and away - it seems now UK residents can see no Saturday 15.00 KO game so why the **** would anyone subscribe to iFollow? - is this a change of policy or have I missed something for the last 3 years?

Has always been that way (i.e. no 3pm Saturday games streamable within the UK).  Only exception was last season due to COVID.

It has to be said it's an incredibly painless workaround to stream via VPN if you do wish to watch inside the UK though.  Payment via Paypal is now accepted so there's no credit card validation which is reliant on a non-UK billing address.

Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 22:45:11 pm »

Yeh it has only been available during Covid for the 3.00pm games, was never available before then. So it's just back to normal.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
NathR

View Profile
Level 4 Eighth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 06:04:46 am »

It’s not in the clubs control.   There is a rule (assume FA) that no televised games can been shown in this country @ 3pm on a Saturday afternoon, hence why Sky / BT game times are earlier or later.  This includes streaming online live games.  I thought that mid week games are fine to watch live on I-follow, but I may be wrong.   I-follow does show the full game and around 10mins worth of extended highlights a few hours after the Saturday games which is free, you just have to register. 
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 06:49:32 am »

Perhaps someone could outline an idiot's guide on here that clearly shows the vpn 'fix' to watch in this country. I am sure a lot of folk would not know how to achieve this.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 07:31:00 am »

Perhaps someone could outline an idiot's guide on here that clearly shows the vpn 'fix' to watch in this country. I am sure a lot of folk would not know how to achieve this.

Just install a vpn package ( the better ones do charge but check reviews) - I use Nord. Once installed you simply select a country you wish to appear to be in (it’s related to your IP address it automatically generates) - from an iFollow perspective you are then an overseas subscriber and can stream - to be honest I thought the problem was you have to give a billing address for a payment card that is non UK but earlier someone said you can pay for iFollow without giving an address via PayPal (personally I am a legitimate overseas subscriber but use a vpn to watch Sky, iPlayer etc)
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 08:14:51 am »

Just install a vpn package ( the better ones do charge but check reviews) - I use Nord. Once installed you simply select a country you wish to appear to be in (it’s related to your IP address it automatically generates) - from an iFollow perspective you are then an overseas subscriber and can stream - to be honest I thought the problem was you have to give a billing address for a payment card that is non UK but earlier someone said you can pay for iFollow without giving an address via PayPal (personally I am a legitimate overseas subscriber but use a vpn to watch Sky, iPlayer etc)

Sorry to appear ignorant but if you are a legitimate overseas subscriber why do you use a vpn?
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 08:57:42 am »

Sorry to appear ignorant but if you are a legitimate overseas subscriber why do you use a vpn?
Cyber security.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
CobblersToMePod

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 09:03:51 am »

Personally, I've never been very good with computers and while I have attempted to use vpn's in the past for other, work related things, I've never found it easy to do.

I'm also too much of a goody two shoes to say I'm happy to find a work around. My point is that the 3pm blackout law is out of date having been created in the 1960's and should be rescinded.

There is no evidence that attendances would be affected negatively.

The biggest example is how it works in America for the NFL. Clubs (or franchises if you prefer) stream their own matches for a fee whilst also selling out their ridiculously large stadiums. Plus, their ticket prices are at least 3 times as much as we pay at Sixfields.

There are also examples in other entertainment sectors.

The rise of Netflix hasn't stopped people going to the cinema and Spotify hasn't stopped people from going to live music gigs.

As we have talked about so many times over the last 18 months, going to the football is about a lot more than just watching the game. It is an experience that can't be replicated through the tv screen.

I can understand the concerns people have about games in the middle of December against Stevenage on a Tuesday evening but I look at it another way. The clubs would be forced to think about their offering and up their game in order to attract fans. Again, this is something that has been talked about recently and has seemingly failed to get off the ground.

I appreciate that I am incredibly biased on this subject, being exiled as I am but I know it wouldn't affect my decision to attend the games that I can go to. If anything, it would allow the club to make more money out of my support than they have done for the last 15 years.
Report Spam   Logged

New podcasts released every Tuesday talking all things Northampton Town. Join in by sending your thoughts to podcast@cobblerstome.com or @CobblersToMe on Twitter.

Click here to listen.
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 09:12:09 am »

Personally, I've never been very good with computers and while I have attempted to use vpn's in the past for other, work related things, I've never found it easy to do.

I'm also too much of a goody two shoes to say I'm happy to find a work around. My point is that the 3pm blackout law is out of date having been created in the 1960's and should be rescinded.

There is no evidence that attendances would be affected negatively.

The biggest example is how it works in America for the NFL. Clubs (or franchises if you prefer) stream their own matches for a fee whilst also selling out their ridiculously large stadiums. Plus, their ticket prices are at least 3 times as much as we pay at Sixfields.

There are also examples in other entertainment sectors.

The rise of Netflix hasn't stopped people going to the cinema and Spotify hasn't stopped people from going to live music gigs.

As we have talked about so many times over the last 18 months, going to the football is about a lot more than just watching the game. It is an experience that can't be replicated through the tv screen.

I can understand the concerns people have about games in the middle of December against Stevenage on a Tuesday evening but I look at it another way. The clubs would be forced to think about their offering and up their game in order to attract fans. Again, this is something that has been talked about recently and has seemingly failed to get off the ground.

I appreciate that I am incredibly biased on this subject, being exiled as I am but I know it wouldn't affect my decision to attend the games that I can go to. If anything, it would allow the club to make more money out of my support than they have done for the last 15 years.
I think at elite level, Premier League, the attendance wouldn’t be affected but at L2 it would, for a start it’s £10 cheaper, you can watch from the comfort of your own home and what’s even worse for the club is you can invite your mates around all this with no parking cost etc.
Why don’t you lobby the EFL, they will give you the hypothesis and data behind the decision not to do it.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 09:42:44 am »

So taking some of the threads from the Colchester game and folks complaining they couldn’t stream the game - my understanding was if you had an UK IP address you could watch away games but not home games - non uk residents or an overseas billing address and IP (so a vpn is not sufficient) can stream both home and away - it seems now UK residents can see no Saturday 15.00 KO game so why the **** would anyone subscribe to iFollow? - is this a change of policy or have I missed something for the last 3 years?

I can remember a few on here who claimed they used the VPN route which they claimed worked for them!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest1269

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 12:44:06 pm »

Not ignorant at all - I don’t normally need it for iFollow (unless I’m actually in the UK) but do need it for Sky etc
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 13:09:55 pm »

They stream the NFL games because they sell out the stadiums. With only nine homes games per season for teams that dont make the play-offs and a far bigger catchment area it's not a good example.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 16:12:09 pm »

They stream the NFL games because they sell out the stadiums. With only nine homes games per season for teams that dont make the play-offs and a far bigger catchment area it's not a good example.
Got to agree. Not comparable at all. Take for example the Kansas City Chiefs (NFL) my family's erm, local club. Their fan base stretches from basically, western Illinois through Missouri and Kansas states, probably coming to an abrupt halt short of Colorado, where their derby neighbours, Denver Broncos pick up the batten. That is a vast vast area!
As Larry has stated, with a minimal nine to twelve home games or whatever, the Chiefs could sell Arrowhead out several times over, and still command a vast following in the midwest bars.

The Cobblers couldn't come close, and given the crying going on even on this thread about not being able to access I-Follow, shows a willingness to take the armchair stance - even at the expense of a half full Sixfields or travelling eighty miles or so!
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2021, 16:22:13 pm »

I think at our level people would continue to go to the games, in the main. (if all games were streamed). The majority of away games are only attended by the real enthusiasts, and I doubt very much many of them would stream the game  and sit on their arse at home watching it.

Im with the pod man. Id have paid 20quid yesterday (for example) because I didn't go (cant stand Colchester's away day experience having been to that ground twice before).

Tuesday night games have been available for a few seasons anyway, so the argument about Tuesday night games in December is irrelevant.

I think the lower leagues are missing out on an easy revenue stream; providing the cost to stream it is very similar to paying for a match ticket. I reckon those 'who cant be assed' to go very often anyway, for whatever reason, would end up spending far more money on 'supporting the team' they follow.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2021, 17:03:09 pm »

Got to agree. Not comparable at all. Take for example the Kansas City Chiefs (NFL) my family's erm, local club. Their fan base stretches from basically, western Illinois through Missouri and Kansas states, probably coming to an abrupt halt short of Colorado, where their derby neighbours, Denver Broncos pick up the batten. That is a vast vast area!
As Larry has stated, with a minimal nine to twelve home games or whatever, the Chiefs could sell Arrowhead out several times over, and still command a vast following in the midwest bars.

The Cobblers couldn't come close, and given the crying going on even on this thread about not being able to access I-Follow, shows a willingness to take the armchair stance - even at the expense of a half full Sixfields or travelling eighty miles or so!
I just put a search in for the St Louis Cardinals thinking they would take some of that support away from the Chiefs only to find they upped and moved to Arizina 1500 miles away in the mid eighties lol.
Puts Wimbledons move to Milton Keynes into perspective, how does that work?
I'm sure there's countless other 3xamples of that in major league US football. Obviously a sport made primarily for TV audiences as premiership football is now. Not comparable at all with league two football.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2021, 17:19:03 pm »

I just put a search in for the St Louis Cardinals thinking they would take some of that support away from the Chiefs only to find they upped and moved to Arizina 1500 miles away in the mid eighties lol.
Puts Wimbledons move to Milton Keynes into perspective, how does that work?
I'm sure there's countless other 3xamples of that in major league US football. Obviously a sport made primarily for TV audiences as premiership football is now. Not comparable at all with league two football.
St Louis is my home city. Totally baseball - St Louis Cardinals are one of the iconic teams in the US. Their fanbase before local radio stations in the fifties era took off, stretched to the west coast. Even now, well into Kansas City environs.
Cards fan at Philly airport, when I was there, was "NFL, what's that?" when discussing fans, territories etc. NFL wise, Cardinals moved to Arizona, Rams moved into St Louis, but support for NFL always luke warm. They returned to LA a few years ago.
Busch Stadium is right in the city centre of St Louis, a brilliant place. Huge Cardinals Kingdom bars outside - one where you can buy seats that overlook the stadium for a full view! Now that beats I-Follow!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2021, 17:31:24 pm »

You do need to be a bit careful on the armchair stance comment and fans crying about lack of access - obviously every circumstance is different and I can only comment on my case where I subscribe predominantly for away games but pre Covid attended virtually all home Saturday games which is a round trip of 1400 not 80 miles.

Where do you live Cobblerwatch?
Report Spam   Logged
Fred_NTFC

View Profile
Level 6 1000 Posts Search
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2021, 17:52:00 pm »

I live in Edinburgh, I do think it's fairly insane that I live in a different country but can't watch the game or provide extra income to the club. As other people have pointed out if you were worried about attendances (I think the impact would be minimal) then the technology exists to have a localised blackout.

Let's remember that midweek matches are already available to stream & I think these are the ones that people would be less likely to attend in person. At our level a weekend game is much more about the experience I believe & if club's are having to work harder to make that more worthwhile then that's no bad thing.

Absolutely zero chance I would pay to watch streams at £20 a match though, but say a £400 season ticket? Maybe.  Would you really spend that amount of money if you were a casual fan? I really doubt it.
Report Spam   Logged

Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2021, 18:00:09 pm »

St Louis is my home city. Totally baseball - St Louis Cardinals are one of the iconic teams in the US. Their fanbase before local radio stations in the fifties era took off, stretched to the west coast. Even now, well into Kansas City environs.
Cards fan at Philly airport, when I was there, was "NFL, what's that?" when discussing fans, territories etc. NFL wise, Cardinals moved to Arizona, Rams moved into St Louis, but support for NFL always luke warm. They returned to LA a few years ago.
Busch Stadium is right in the city centre of St Louis, a brilliant place. Huge Cardinals Kingdom bars outside - one where you can buy seats that overlook the stadium for a full view! Now that beats I-Follow!  Grin

Not really, it's only rounders, it ain't football.🤠
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 18:02:58 pm by Shoemender » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: