The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 13:44:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Rochdale home 21.08.21

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rochdale home 21.08.21  (Read 17379 times)
singcobb

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2021, 20:50:10 pm »

Mills was successful at Forest Green as a wing back, but when KC played him in that role in league 1 he got found out at times. McGowan does lack pace but is a more than capable right back as is Harriman.

I was more disappointed today with our midfield and creativity, particularly Shaun McWilliams. Sid Nelson also has received some unfair stick, I thought he was dominant in the air with one great crunching tackle in the 2nd half. He is a perfectly good deputy to Horsfall & Guthrie.

Have to agree about Mcwilliams, at times he looked like he didn't have a clue what to do.
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2021, 20:52:46 pm »

Mills was successful at Forest Green as a wing back, but when KC played him in that role in league 1 he got found out at times. McGowan does lack pace but is a more than capable right back as is Harriman.

I was more disappointed today with our midfield and creativity, particularly Shaun McWilliams. Sid Nelson also has received some unfair stick, I thought he was dominant in the air with one great crunching tackle in the 2nd half. He is a perfectly good deputy to Horsfall & Guthrie.

Didn’t Nelson get beaten by their man for the first, then get out paced for their second. If anyone was at fault for the goals it was him.

There were a couple of other cock ups he was at the heart of also. He was very poor in my opinion.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2021, 21:27:49 pm »

Didn’t Nelson get beaten by their man for the first, then get out paced for their second. If anyone was at fault for the goals it was him.

There were a couple of other **** ups he was at the heart of also. He was very poor in my opinion.
He doesn’t look or play like a footballer, this will be his last professional contract.
Mills is poor, nothing has changed he’s been consistent since he joined.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2021, 21:46:18 pm »

Aaarghh, we've lost a game, we're gonna get relegated now. Brady out, in fact every one out, meltdown, can't see where we go from here, even though I wasn't there today. This post is for Everbright only.
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2021, 22:15:00 pm »

Yuk! It’s all been said already.
Star man McWilliams’ non performance just about sums up today.
We are better than that.
Everyone seemed to have a bad day at the same time (including JB and CC). Hopefully that won’t happen too often. 2nd best all over the field I’m afraid - especially 2nd half.
Even the MOM pickers had a bad day. I like Super Sam but come on …
Mind you, I think all of us would have struggled to pick a Cobblers MOM today.
When we get to Christmas with only these 3 points dropped all season we’ll have a good old giggle about this!
UTC
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2021, 00:07:17 am »

Ok, but I'd argue that our lack of movement is primarily a personnel issue rather than a 'lack of effort' issue.

When an L2 centre back receives the ball it takes a supreme effort of will to avoid bypassing the midfield and lumping it forward to a 6'6 centre forward (even one like Etete who is probably better with his feet): it will always be the easiest and most tempting option.

If you put Pollock or Flores in there it gives the defence someone in midfield who actively wants the ball and is comfortable in receiving possession - result: fewer long balls.

Similarly, if McWilliams gets the ball as a DM he will be tempted to lump it forward unless he has a midfield partner with the nous and attacking spirit to take up an advanced position 'between the lines' or a natural winger making a run on the overlap. Lewis doesn't move like a creative midfielder; Hoskins doesn't move like a winger. Personnel matters.

Rochdale were Covid-ravaged but you can't help but compare their selection of Odoh, a 20-year old attacking midfielder who passed us off the park and scored their third, with Scott Pollock who languished on the bench whilst our pedestrian midfield played statues.

Of course, the other elephant in the room is whether 4-4-2 is simply too prehistoric and inflexible against a side playing a modern formation like Dale's 3-4-3. There's certainly a reason why no Prem sides and even very few L1 sides play 4-4-2 these days - it's too easy to combat if you have the wide players to pull the oppositions' full backs out of position.

For me the question is was it a decision to pump it long or more because it was the only realistic option available. Perhaps a bit of both Bungle but it seemed there was a lack of desire to make themselves available for a pass from the player in possession. When we have the ball we should be seeing 2 or 3 players hustling to find space 10 or 15 yards from the player in possession. Often we had one pass across the back four and there was no one coming short, no one busting a gut and demanding the ball. All I saw was a half hearted trot with a Rochdale shadow alongside. The player in possession comes under pressure and it’s either a lump forward or a pass back to Robert’s. Similarly I lost count of the times their player on the right of midfield got a pass and we hadn’t got a player within 20 yards of him. In possession they always had players available. As I said often the focus is on what a player does with the ball, but games are won and lost by what players do when out of possession. That’s why Rose and Hoskins are popular with managers. Unfortunately you need 10 doing it not 2, and the 2 we have got are unfortunately too often suffering from a lack of quality when they get it. At least they gave the opposition a headache, the rest gave them a field day. On the fans forum Brady asked what we would like to see from his side. Personally I never want to be saying they wanted it more than us. Whilst Brady is right you can’t win every game, but the bare minimum is that you have to look like you want to win every game. I suppose I’m frustrated because after all the hype around players with the right mentality and “a running dog is a happy dog” comments from Calderwood I didn’t expect to be saying all this so early in the season.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 08:39:46 am by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
guest3429

« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2021, 03:15:13 am »

Before the big 4th round FA Cup tie, the very old and ugly lady of Ramsbottom, more commonly referred to as "The Lancashire Witch" was summoned to make a spell. She was so old and stupid that she actually cast the wrong spell, not for Rochdale to have good luck in the cup but for Northampton to be eternally damned when playing The Dale.

For this reason all usual match analysis is null and void.

On the train back from a game at Doncaster some years back, I had decided to go into London. Waiting in the queue at the buffet car for a can of McEwans, I realised I was standing behind Phil Mitchell, aka Steve McFadden. I cant remembered what he ordered, sorry.
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2021, 08:40:48 am »

Can I buy a ticket for mid week training because BAS must be sh1t hot.

We need some creative spark in centre midfield and thought this was glaringly obvious yesterday. Don’t notice Lewis at all and whilst McWilliams is industrious it is sideways, backwards or lumped.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #188 on: August 22, 2021, 08:43:44 am »

I really don’t know where to start…… I’ll start with the substitutes which basically killed any chance we had of getting a draw, awful decision to take our best two strikers off and play a very slow non scoring one and BAS who is utterly useless.
Playing with two horribly slow fullbacks in a 4 is a recipe for disaster, add to that Sid Nelson and you get what we deserved.
I will leave with a special mention for Lewis………what does he do well? I’m at a loss how pollock isn’t in that side.
We need a couple more players, a Center mid and another Center half.
How Mills is getting in the team ahead of Kioki only Brady knows.

The double substitution was ridiculous. The issue was that we were creating f**k all for the two, not that they were playing bad. We needed to change things and give them some new problems, not make their job far easier. I know people done rate BAS, but what does Rose offer us? Literally nothing, he’s one of the biggest flops in recent times for me.

I hope this was a blip, because Rochdale were very beatable and they beat us with ease.

The cup game on Tuesday is great timing and surely means players like Koiki get a start. We needed more pace in the second half and I was surprised that he didn’t get brought on for Pinnock.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #189 on: August 22, 2021, 10:39:07 am »

Just read James Heneghan's player ratings on the Chronic website and he's managed to find a player called Paul Kabamba. I wonder if he is any relation to Nickie.
Report Spam   Logged
West Stand

View Profile
500 Posts Search Combination
« Reply #190 on: August 22, 2021, 11:56:49 am »

I think the front 4 are all too alike. We need someone who can play in the hole and link play. Maybe Pollock?  Whoever we have up front isn't going to do much with balls lumped up. Just ends up as a wrestling match with the centre backs.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #191 on: August 22, 2021, 12:32:50 pm »

For the first 20 minutes or so we played well, pressed and passed well, quickly responded to Rochdale's goal which was against the run of play...then it all went wrong.

By half time (sooner than that to be fair) it was evident that Rochdale had gained control of the middle third. We were all saying it at half time...bring on Pollock, take Lewis off. Give the midfield some creativity to supplement McWilliams tenacity.

The first 15 minutes of the 2nd half was a continuation of how things ended in the first half. Rochdale's sub's improved their performance, ours managed to do the polar opposite. It made no sense swapping the strikers round (as many others have commented). Then equally as baffling, Brady withdraws McWilliams and brings on a winger. Which effectively left the middle of the park, which was being dominated by Rochdale, with no ball winner as well as no creativity. Who was going to get the ball out to Connolly? We quickly found out the answer. No one! Somewhat predictable to be fair (I said at that point it would end 1-3).

Ill try and be balanced here. Brady has out thought his opponent in each of the other games. His clever change of formations (Cov and Colchester prior to the sending off) both got us on the front foot (Cov) and helped contain (Colchester). Against Port Vale, he responded well as well with his subs. Yesterday though, he was outwitted by the Rochdale manager and pretty much admitted that in his post match interview, citing tactics as something to think about. Fair play to him for that.

I think in summary, Rochdale 'did a job on us' yesterday. They clearly knew we would play a high line, and their number 18 on countless times helped them break up the pitch quickly (2nd and 3rd goals) when we inevitably lost possession due to our inability with the ball in central areas. At 1-1, the right changes made...we could easily have ended up winning it. Food for thought for the management team for sure...

I would put yesterday down to (in the main) VERY poor tactics, but also that not a single player turned up and had what could be described as a good game. No one for me, would have got 7/10. All 4's and 5's in the mains, with the odd 6.

Etete was half decent and shouldn't have been subbed (my mom). Not sure how Lewis managed to play for the full 90 minutes, he was literally shocking. McGowan wasn't much better (another 4/10). Big Sid had a stinker. The goalkeeping for their first goal was suspect, he came out to claim it, changed his mind and dithered (and ended up in no mans land) and it was a simple header over him into an empty net. I haven't seen the replay but that's what it looked like to me from behind the goal.

Best to forget about yesterday and hope that the management team identified our obvious weaknesses and rectify them in time for Tuesday. Im sure they will...

Still reckon we need to add a McCormack-esq player to the squad sooner rather than later as a priority...

One final observation. Their number 18 was absolutely outstanding. I'd be very surprised if he's still with them at the end of this month, let alone after January's transfer window. He was apparently mom for them against Forest in the cup (according to one of their fans I spoke with on the way back to my car). I haven't seen many players of that calibre show up against us in this league over the years, he looked like a real prospect destined to go all the way...

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 12:37:16 pm by DrillingCobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2021, 17:32:15 pm »

For the first 20 minutes or so we played well, pressed and passed well, quickly responded to Rochdale's goal which was against the run of play...then it all went wrong.

By half time (sooner than that to be fair) it was evident that Rochdale had gained control of the middle third. We were all saying it at half time...bring on Pollock, take Lewis off. Give the midfield some creativity to supplement McWilliams tenacity.

The first 15 minutes of the 2nd half was a continuation of how things ended in the first half. Rochdale's sub's improved their performance, ours managed to do the polar opposite. It made no sense swapping the strikers round (as many others have commented). Then equally as baffling, Brady withdraws McWilliams and brings on a winger. Which effectively left the middle of the park, which was being dominated by Rochdale, with no ball winner as well as no creativity. Who was going to get the ball out to Connolly? We quickly found out the answer. No one! Somewhat predictable to be fair (I said at that point it would end 1-3).

Ill try and be balanced here. Brady has out thought his opponent in each of the other games. His clever change of formations (Cov and Colchester prior to the sending off) both got us on the front foot (Cov) and helped contain (Colchester). Against Port Vale, he responded well as well with his subs. Yesterday though, he was outwitted by the Rochdale manager and pretty much admitted that in his post match interview, citing tactics as something to think about. Fair play to him for that.

I think in summary, Rochdale 'did a job on us' yesterday. They clearly knew we would play a high line, and their number 18 on countless times helped them break up the pitch quickly (2nd and 3rd goals) when we inevitably lost possession due to our inability with the ball in central areas. At 1-1, the right changes made...we could easily have ended up winning it. Food for thought for the management team for sure...

I would put yesterday down to (in the main) VERY poor tactics, but also that not a single player turned up and had what could be described as a good game. No one for me, would have got 7/10. All 4's and 5's in the mains, with the odd 6.

Etete was half decent and shouldn't have been subbed (my mom). Not sure how Lewis managed to play for the full 90 minutes, he was literally shocking. McGowan wasn't much better (another 4/10). Big Sid had a stinker. The goalkeeping for their first goal was suspect, he came out to claim it, changed his mind and dithered (and ended up in no mans land) and it was a simple header over him into an empty net. I haven't seen the replay but that's what it looked like to me from behind the goal.

Best to forget about yesterday and hope that the management team identified our obvious weaknesses and rectify them in time for Tuesday. Im sure they will...

Still reckon we need to add a McCormack-esq player to the squad sooner rather than later as a priority...

One final observation. Their number 18 was absolutely outstanding. I'd be very surprised if he's still with them at the end of this month, let alone after January's transfer window. He was apparently mom for them against Forest in the cup (according to one of their fans I spoke with on the way back to my car). I haven't seen many players of that calibre show up against us in this league over the years, he looked like a real prospect destined to go all the way...

Absolutely spot on Drilling, really hope we don’t have to suffer BAS up front on Tuesday, we need some creativity in the Center.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2021, 17:41:57 pm »

Just watched the lowlights of yesterday:
First goal, Sid Nelson allowed their player to get in front of him and didn't even get up for the challenge.
The second one, Shaun McWilliams was back peddling, despite having cover behind, their player shouldn't have been able to put that ball through without some sort of challenge.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 22, 2021, 17:48:40 pm »

https://www.skysports.com/football/northampton-town-vs-rochdale/report/448484

Let’s just say good old Sid was very involved for at least two of the goals shocking defending.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 22, 2021, 18:38:04 pm »

Is there categoric evidence that their 2nd goal wasn't offside? From where I was sat (near half way Row H) it looked a yard or more that way but I'm (un)happy enough to be proved wrong.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 18:52:07 pm by CobblerForever » Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #196 on: August 22, 2021, 18:40:13 pm »

Now admiting the second goal was not offside I hope Brady apologised to the officials for his touchline histrionics. I would agree that Roberts started to come for the ball leading to the first goal but seemed to change his mind and stopped, perhaps he decided he wasn't going to get to it. I would question his decision making for the second as he came just outside of his 6 yard box and stopped, it would have been better to continue to the edge of the area thus narrowing the angle more and giving the striker a more difficult job to score.
All 3 teams played so far are in the lower half of the table although I don't expect any of them to be fighting the drop. From what I have seen so far I do not see us challenging for a top 3 place, possibly the play offs if we become more ceative and stop relying on set plays for our goals butit is still early days.
Finally perhaps somebody could enlighten us as what is deemed as a back pass these days as all around me were perplexed when their player hoiked the ball in the air and their 'keeper caught it and was not pulled up by the ref but then again he made many decisions we did not agree with.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2021, 18:57:48 pm »

Now admiting the second goal was not offside I hope Brady apologised to the officials for his touchline histrionics. I would agree that Roberts started to come for the ball leading to the first goal but seemed to change his mind and stopped, perhaps he decided he wasn't going to get to it. I would question his decision making for the second as he came just outside of his 6 yard box and stopped, it would have been better to continue to the edge of the area thus narrowing the angle more and giving the striker a more difficult job to score.
All 3 teams played so far are in the lower half of the table although I don't expect any of them to be fighting the drop. From what I have seen so far I do not see us challenging for a top 3 place, possibly the play offs if we become more ceative and stop relying on set plays for our goals butit is still early days.
Finally perhaps somebody could enlighten us as what is deemed as a back pass these days as all around me were perplexed when their player hoiked the ball in the air and their 'keeper caught it and was not pulled up by the ref but then again he made many decisions we did not agree with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-pass_rule

At the time I assumed the Ref had decided that the defender did not deliberately pass the ball back to his GK but miss-hit it.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #198 on: August 22, 2021, 20:04:08 pm »

Thankfully we have no VAR in the lower reaches of this league, just as it should be. With that in mind, whatever the ref. (bstrd in black) thinks it is, so it is. I raise a beaker to that.
Report Spam   Logged
BrixworthCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2021, 20:25:15 pm »

Taking the two strikers off at the same time was criminal (said it at the time, not hindsight speaking)

We were still easily in the game at that time. There was still 30 minutes to go, you'd just take one off, not both.

Problem you had is they then scored and our two best strikers are already off the pitch - ridiculous decision unless other things behind it of course.

Hopefully a lesson learnt...
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: