The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 08:51:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

EFL Cup v AFC Wimbledon (h) - 24 Aug 21

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EFL Cup v AFC Wimbledon (h) - 24 Aug 21  (Read 8271 times)
CobblerForever

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2021, 21:55:27 pm »

In summary,

Enjoyed the game immensely - very open.

Thought all the lads put in a shift.

We do miss that natural prolific goal scorer. Some great wing play tonight.

Maxted seemed to slip at the vital moment for their goal.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2021, 21:56:46 pm »

Fingers crossed he can.

5 goals in 50 cobblers appearances doesn’t look great. I bet he’s not cheap to have sitting around either.

0 goals in last 29 (TWENTY NINE) cobblers appearances
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2021, 22:00:19 pm »

0 goals in last 29 (TWENTY NINE) cobblers appearances

He looked more likely to do something tonight than he has recently but that record is shocking.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2021, 22:01:06 pm »

Agree on most of that but Connolly looks like a complete headless chicken to me. Quick but zero brain/end product. I predict he'll go on to be touted as one of our worst players in recent history. Pinnock looks decent though.

Thought that both full backs did ok particularly McGowan, at times Mills gave their winger too much room. Midfield was better and noticed both Lewis and Flores too for that matter. I suppose we can fault our midfield for lack of creativity but the real problem is a lack of scoring prowess up front. All the same Ete had some good moments and earned MOM label and Rose was a genuine nuisance but the ref did not fall for his antics. Certainly Rose should have scored and perhaps Hoskins too. I am with Dan on his summary of the game, Connolly played ok his speed alone will cause problems. A headless chicken he wasn't; real toss up between him and Hoskins. Maxted held accountable for the goal 20/25 yarder hit well but straight at him. There is a decent team out there who showed some good touches, partnerships developing between Horsfall and Guthrie, Okidoki and Ete, McGowan and Connolly so quite a few positives to bring to Crawley. Final two comment we were unlucky not to be level after 94mins and really should have won 1-0 and 2, a much better display all round after the dismal performance last Sat.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2021, 22:11:30 pm »

That was a much improved performance from Saturday and if it wasn’t for sack of spuds Maxted we would have gone to penalties as the better side .
The full backs got forward quite well and we looked more threatening with the ball .
Defensively we were also sound tonight .
We simply do not attack the six yard area enough and no one has a goalscorer instinct . We put plenty of balls across goal tonight and not once was it attacked .
Rose looked abject all game and BAS has so far shown no ability .
Controversially , i would play Hoskins alongside Etete and see how we get on …. cue the abuse ….
Would have liked to seen Pollock come on because i’m not at all sure about Lewis or Flores either …
Connolly and McGowan were much improved on the plus side .

Blimey Boots pretty accurate report. Nothing wrong in putting Hoskins alongside Ete certainly worth a try. Hoskins normally gets at least 8/10 goals a season too. Felt sorry for Maxted as the whole side sank to their knees when that shot went in.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2021, 22:26:01 pm »

Sounds like an absolute howler from Maxted.

Although we must await neverbrites blessing before posting any negativity…

Yes Maxted was at fault but I hopes he evades your 'The damned List'. I notice you maybe sharpening your ever present pencil for a Flores demolition. I studied McGowan quite a bit during the game and now believe your judgement of him is a shocker!. Have you really watched him four times?  Perhaps mistaken identity?  He is certainly not slow either, as to how the experts here arrive at this conclusion is beyond me.
Report Spam   Logged

Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2021, 22:54:03 pm »

I thought that was harsh on us tonight. Obviously Maxted should have stopped the goal but I thought all the back 4 were good. Not convinced by Lewis, Flores or Connolly and a little disappointed that Pollock didn't get a game after a good show at Cov. Pinnock looks a good player and so dos Kioke.
    I think tonight confirmed that Etete has to start , it's just who plays along side him ? Rose has had some good chances in both EFL Cup games but has failed to score in 29 games, BAS doesn't look interested half the time, would it be worth giving "Super Sam" a few games along side Etete, he's going to play anyhow, so worth a try ?
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2021, 03:48:15 am »

could do with a striker - couple of good young ones at villa we could loan - including one who came on as sub tonight, for his brother.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2021, 06:43:22 am »

BAS came on and never touched the ball….. I think he’s one of the worst players I’ve ever seen.

Crikey, that is pretty damning coming from a huge supporter of the guy.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2021, 06:52:35 am »

Crikey, that is pretty damning coming from a huge supporter of the guy.
Does anyone think BAS is the answer to our scoring problems  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest2995

« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2021, 06:53:28 am »

Last night’s game taught us a few things i believe -
Firstly , we are much better playing with full backs that push on . McGowan was a man possessed going forward and our best outlet .
We are also more fluent playing without two holding midfielders - the jury is truly out on Lewis and Flores but i would like to see Pollock and McWilliams given a chance together .
Etete is a certain pick and is a handful but has to be careful not to be pulled up for fouling when centre halves constantly hold his shirt .
Rose relies on gamesmanship because he has no pace and little else . BAS is useless . Kabamba for me neither holds the ball up or is a goal threat - let’s hope he improves .
Pinnock and Etete are our threats and i would play Hoskins running in behind .
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2021, 07:07:23 am »

I am surprised no striker has experimented with bodypaint instead of a shirt as yet. What could defenders possibly tug then?
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2021, 07:18:58 am »

Firstly , we are much better playing with full backs that push on . McGowan was a man possessed going forward and our best outlet .
We are also more fluent playing without two holding midfielders - the jury is truly out on Lewis and Flores but i would like to see Pollock and McWilliams given a chance together .
Etete is a certain pick and is a handful but has to be careful not to be pulled up for fouling when centre halves constantly hold his shirt .
Rose relies on gamesmanship because he has no pace and little else . BAS is useless . Kabamba for me neither holds the ball up or is a goal threat - let’s hope he improves .
Bit harsh on Kabama, I think him and Etete are our best two BUT we then have very little else, Rose is on a horrible run of form and has got even slower, Super Sam could be worth a go but someone who can play in every position on the pitch rarely does anyone of them well.

Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Risdene

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Level 4
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2021, 07:24:49 am »

+1

Plus sign a striker this wek to play alongside Etete, loan or permanent!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2021, 07:38:56 am »

+1

Plus sign a striker this wek to play alongside Etete, loan or permanent!

Can we bung 'half-decent' between 'a' and 'striker' cos our current ability on signing strikers ain't exactly top-notch?
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2021, 08:23:13 am »

I thought it was a pretty good all round performance and we should have won but what happened is what happens when you can't score goals. Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2021, 08:37:46 am »

After 6 months in the job Mark Robinson had this to say...

"We didn't play well at all tonight - that's probably the worst I've seen us since I got the job. We were miles off it."

Imagine being miles off it and still winning and keeping a clean sheet away from home. Oh how we have fallen ay.
Report Spam   Logged
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2021, 08:42:39 am »

BAS came on and never touched the ball….. I think he’s one of the worst players I’ve ever seen.

Manny, are we talking 'Greg Campbell Territory' here  Huh?Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2021, 08:48:13 am »

Not the worst goalkeeping howler ever (well hit through a crowd) but a gutting way to lose a game. I wouldn't lump him straight into the 'Mitchell' bracket as any keeper is prone to the odd howler, just hopefully not when it's 0 v 0 in injury time. He'll get another go next week.
We're not going to win any games without putting the chances away.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2021, 09:58:25 am »

I too would go with Etete and Super Sam as a front 2 on Satdee...

Id also be tempted to partner Pinnock with McWilliams in centre mid. Pinnock was superb when he came on and got us on the front foot.

McGowan was the player I hoped and expected to see before a ball was kicked this season. My mom.

Im not going to defend the goalkeeping, if that was Mitchell last season we'd all have slated him and it wasn't his only big error, they nearly scored when he flapped at a cross and somehow the ball went out for a goal kick. He wont be challenging Roberts any time soon on that display!

My team for Sat - Roberts - McGowan, Mills, Horsefall, Guthrie - Koiki, McWilliams, Pinnock, Connolly - Super Sam, Etete.

We need to try something different to get us clicking going forward. We've yet to score in open play this season in the league and only one goal in 5 from open play (total) overall. Additionally we are hardly creating anything either, set pieces aside. I don't think there's too much wrong, and remain positive. We looked a decent side yesterday, but lacked a cutting edge and the less said about the goalkeeping for their winning goal the better!

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: