The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 05:07:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

EFL Cup v AFC Wimbledon (h) - 24 Aug 21

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EFL Cup v AFC Wimbledon (h) - 24 Aug 21  (Read 8265 times)
CobblerForever

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2021, 11:16:51 am »

BTW The pitch is in very fine fettle.

A credit to the ground staff and the club.

I won't mention the toilets!
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2021, 11:19:30 am »

Manny, are we talking 'Greg Campbell Territory' here  Huh?Grin Grin
Mate we are talking the legend that is Ali Slowe.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2021, 11:36:54 am »

All 'keepers will make the occasional mistake, we have seen them from 'keepers higher up the football ladder, unfortunately last nights was a very bad one from a 30 yard shot. Maxted is a typical division 2 'keeper, clearly better than Mitchell and up until that mistake had done little wrong so far this season. Cornell used to let in long distance shots regularly and then pull off a great instinctive save.
I notice that the posters who were quick to criticise our backs on saturday are slow to show any appreciation of their performances last night. Heneghan in his chron report states that McGowan "enjoyed an excellent game". As Everbright says at times Mills gave their wide right player a lot of space but he had a difficult decision, as this was generally when play was coming down the other side. If he had stayed wide with his man and the ball then comes into our box we are a defender short and their wide right man has taken Mills out of the game. I think he made the right choice of going inside and if the play was switched to his side then going out to challenge his man.
Do we get an additional payment for Caleb making his first team debut, I notice one chuckle brother replaced the other?.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2021, 11:47:33 am »

All 'keepers will make the occasional mistake, we have seen them from 'keepers higher up the football ladder, unfortunately last nights was a very bad one from a 30 yard shot. Maxted is a typical division 2 'keeper, clearly better than Mitchell and up until that mistake had done little wrong so far this season. Cornell used to let in long distance shots regularly and then pull off a great instinctive save.
I notice that the posters who were quick to criticise our backs on saturday are slow to show any appreciation of their performances last night. Heneghan in his chron report states that McGowan "enjoyed an excellent game". As Everbright says at times Mills gave their wide right player a lot of space but he had a difficult decision, as this was generally when play was coming down the other side. If he had stayed wide with his man and the ball then comes into our box we are a defender short and their wide right man has taken Mills out of the game. I think he made the right choice of going inside and if the play was switched to his side then going out to challenge his man.
Do we get an additional payment for Caleb making his first team debut, I notice one chuckle brother replaced the other?.
McGowan indeed did well last night hope he keeps it up for the Crawley game, as for Mills, sorry he’s a terrible defender.
Anyone else think that Flores looks a bit like Bruno Fernandez?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2021, 12:39:43 pm »

I criticised the full backs on Saturday but I didn't go last night so can't comment on their performance. However those who went have given favourable reports so that is good enough for me, and good to hear.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2021, 12:41:04 pm »

GPC if you intro the v Crawley please find a little time to take a look Crawley’s Proboards message board. Few gems in there about the FGR game!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2021, 12:42:38 pm »

I criticised the full backs on Saturday but I didn't go last night so can't comment on their performance. However those who went have given favourable reports so that is good enough for me, and good to hear.

True fan and gent Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2021, 12:47:37 pm »

McGowan indeed did well last night hope he keeps it up for the Crawley game, as for Mills, sorry he’s a terrible defender.
Anyone else think that Flores looks a bit like Bruno Fernandez?

I wasn’t there last night but having just seen the full highlights, the first three ‘highlights’ stem from Mills getting turned inside out by the opposition for a change. I assume the 2 minute snippet are a true reflection of his continued contribution?
Report Spam   Logged
Norfolk_In_Chance

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2021, 12:51:43 pm »

This 2 big men up front formation lends itself to the long ball. 

Please go back to 4-2-3-1 . With 4(McGowan,Horsfall,Guthrie,Koiki)-2(Lewis, McWilliams)-3(Pinnock, Hoskins, Connolly)-1(Etete).  Roberts in goal obviously
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2021, 12:51:52 pm »

Controversially , i would play Hoskins alongside Etete and see how we get on …. cue the abuse ….

This is actually a very good shout.

Hoskins was originally brought to the club as a striker, many moons ago. Brady went on record last season to say that he was the 'most natural finisher at the club', which would put him ahead of BAS and Rose as a goal threat. Has he ever had a proper run as a striker alongside a competent partner? Probably not, and it's worth giving him a go in the absence of a compelling alternative.

I think he could work alongside Etete; you need a contrast in styles up front if you play 4-4-2 IMO and it might be that Kabamba and Etete are a bit too similar. A bit too early to say for sure, but we'll see.

My main problem with Hoskins comes when he is played on the wing. IMO his crossing and range of passing is simply not at the required level to play that role, which is unsurprising considering it isn't his natural position. Hopefully Connolly will cement his place on the wing and will free Hoskins up to play more centrally.

Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2021, 12:54:42 pm »

This 2 big men up front formation lends itself to the long ball. 

Please go back to 4-2-3-1 . With 4(McGowan,Horsfall,Guthrie,Koiki)-2(Lewis, McWilliams)-3(Pinnock, Hoskins, Connolly)-1(Etete).  Roberts in goal obviously

I like that formation. As I've said before, there's a reason why almost no one plays 4-4-2 these days: unless you've got top full back and wingers it's a tired predictable formation which is easily snuffed out by tactically competent managers.
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2021, 13:03:38 pm »

BTW The pitch is in very fine fettle.

A credit to the ground staff and the club.

I won't mention the toilets!
Don't mention the TV's either, neither of them in Carr's Bar have worked all season, ""No signal" is the message on one of them. Surely you can get someone to sort out the TV system in 2 weeks !  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2021, 13:32:28 pm »

This is actually a very good shout.

Hoskins was originally brought to the club as a striker, many moons ago. Brady went on record last season to say that he was the 'most natural finisher at the club', which would put him ahead of BAS and Rose as a goal threat. Has he ever had a proper run as a striker alongside a competent partner? Probably not, and it's worth giving him a go in the absence of a compelling alternative.

I think he could work alongside Etete; you need a contrast in styles up front if you play 4-4-2 IMO and it might be that Kabamba and Etete are a bit too similar. A bit too early to say for sure, but we'll see.

My main problem with Hoskins comes when he is played on the wing. IMO his crossing and range of passing is simply not at the required level to play that role, which is unsurprising considering it isn't his natural position. Hopefully Connolly will cement his place on the wing and will free Hoskins up to play more centrally.

Thank you 😊
Hoskins’ movement is also good and so i think he could play off a big striker like Etete and create space for him .
He has never played well on the wing and every single manager we have had makes the same mistake .
He can play as a wing back , number 10 or a centre forward off a big man - not a winger .
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2021, 14:43:52 pm »

Bit harsh on Kabama, I think him and Etete are our best two BUT we then have very little else, Rose is on a horrible run of form and has got even slower, Super Sam could be worth a go but someone who can play in every position on the pitch rarely does anyone of them well.

What about BAS?

Wink
Report Spam   Logged
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2021, 15:24:33 pm »

I actually thought Flores had a good game and used the ball well last night. Best I’ve seen him play
Report Spam   Logged
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2021, 15:54:41 pm »

My first visit to Sixfields in a long time last night.

I thought we played some decent football at times and it was certainly more enjoyable than watching us under Curle last season.

I must also commend NTFC on their refreshing approach to allowing fans to return to the stadium... and barely a face mask in sight. Long may it continue.

Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2021, 16:26:18 pm »

Manny’s player ratings

Maxted  2
McGowan 7
Horsfall 7
Guthrie 8
Mills 4
Connolly 7
Flores 8
Lewis 5
Kioki 7
Etete 8 mom
Rose 5

Subs
Super Sam 7
Pinnock 7
BAS 0
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest3063

« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2021, 18:52:11 pm »

Manny’s player ratings

Maxted  2
McGowan 7
Horsfall 7
Guthrie 8
Mills 4
Connolly 7
Flores 8
Lewis 5
Kioki 7
Etete 8 mom
Rose 5

Subs
Super Sam 7
Pinnock 7
BAS 0

Connolly 7? I thought he was a headless chicken  Wink

Also, a bit harsh on Maxted - one good save in the first half, followed by a couple of errors in the second - 4 would be my mark. BAS deserves 1 because at least he entered the pitch and ran around for a while  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2021, 19:34:11 pm »

Connolly 7? I thought he was a headless chicken  Wink

Also, a bit harsh on Maxted - one good save in the first half, followed by a couple of errors in the second - 4 would be my mark. BAS deserves 1 because at least he entered the pitch and ran around for a while  Grin

Yes a tiny bit harsh on Maxted - 4 for me* bit generous on Flores, Hoskins 6, Mills 6, Lewis 6. Nevertheless Mannys player marks will give some on here something to think about! They won’t dare contradict him😇
Report Spam   Logged

guest2995

« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2021, 21:20:47 pm »

People are quite harsh on Mills .
He got forward well last night and linked play well .
i thought he played okay .
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: