The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 23:58:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Forest Green Rovers (a)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forest Green Rovers (a)  (Read 7471 times)
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2021, 11:30:21 am »

Sorry to continue this moany theme but …
I’ve never known a big (ish) away crowd to be so quiet. Don’t get me wrong I’m not a singer but there really was nothing to get excited about. 100% agree with the comment that the pendulum has swung firmly away from JB and to Cc. That said, I would have been delighted with a 1-0 win to us yesterday!
Keeping focus though, we are only 6 games in and if we had picked up 3 pts from our game in hand we would be 4th.
I did think shipping out Harry was a mistake. He would have been good with a Brady team but let’s be realistic, he would have been fcuking ineffectual with the service received from yesterday’s midfield!
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2021, 11:30:39 am »

Our victory against  a poor 10 man Scunny team can now be seen in a different light after they got hammered by Exeter 4-0 at home yesterday.
Any individual result is pretty irrelevant, I don’t think that Exeter results makes any difference. People moaned about the Port Vale and Colchester wins because around the time they both were near the bottom of the table, now they are top half does that make those wins better? not for me.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2021, 11:35:59 am »

Irrespective of exciting or entertaining performances if we average close on 2 points per game we will get promoted - with a result on Tuesday we will be achieving that and the CC/JB plan is working but only a bit better as a spectacle than the KC years.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2021, 11:43:33 am »

I simply do not understand the reasons why Sowerby and Pollock are not getting selected.

I didn't go yesterday, listened to Tim. Even his usual excitable style commentary was missing, so it was bloody clear that the game was a bore fest.

I try to avoid picking on certain players, but if someone could tell me what Lewis is bringing to the party Id be very interested? Other than missing a series of sitters last week, I don't recall ever seeing a single significant contribution from him during a phase of play. Maybe I'm being harsh, maybe I haven't got the footballing knowledge to see things that the 'experts' do? Please someone, tell me why he is being picked?!!

Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2021, 12:45:56 pm »

I simply do not understand the reasons why Sowerby and Pollock are not getting selected.

I didn't go yesterday, listened to Tim. Even his usual excitable style commentary was missing, so it was bloody clear that the game was a bore fest.

I try to avoid picking on certain players, but if someone could tell me what Lewis is bringing to the party Id be very interested? Other than missing a series of sitters last week, I don't recall ever seeing a single significant contribution from him during a phase of play. Maybe I'm being harsh, maybe I haven't got the footballing knowledge to see things that the 'experts' do? Please someone, tell me why he is being picked?!!

Because he’s a scouser. It’s an unwritten rule that you’ve got to have at least one scouser in your team. Watson goes, Lewis in. Simples!
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
guest1269

« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2021, 12:55:29 pm »

I think you raise a good point specifically re Pollock who in my opinion will contribute much more - probably  I’m wrong but I get the impression newer signings will always get more benefit of the doubt selections than young home grown players
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2021, 12:59:13 pm »

Because he’s a scouser. It’s an unwritten rule that you’ve got to have at least one scouser in your team. Watson goes, Lewis in. Simples!

McGowan is also a scouser, so that rules that idea of yours out.
Report Spam   Logged
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2021, 13:08:08 pm »

I’ve never known a big (ish) away crowd to be so quiet. Don’t get me wrong I’m not a singer but there really was nothing to get excited about. 100% agree with the comment that the pendulum has swung firmly away from JB and to Cc. That said, I would have been delighted with a 1-0 win to us yesterday!
Keeping focus though, we are only 6 games in and if we had picked up 3 pts from our game in hand we would be 4th.
I did think shipping out Harry was a mistake. He would have been good with a Brady team but let’s be realistic, he would have been fcuking ineffectual with the service received from yesterday’s midfield!

Three reasons
-Open air terrace
-We were spread across the whole length of the west stand (would have been much better if half of it was closed)
-FGR had about 50 singers behind a goal
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2021, 13:48:51 pm »

Brady out!!!
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2021, 14:38:00 pm »

I did think shipping out Harry was a mistake.

There's no way Harry Smith would have scored 5 goals for us given the way we're playing. It's not like we have a striker who has missed 5 good chances which would have been goals if only we'd had a predatory finisher.

Agree with others: I like JB but his post-match comments yesterday were delusional. One thing I also liked about Wilder is that he told it how it was: if he or the players got it wrong and fell short he would make that clear.

For all our impressive defensive solidity, one shot on target yesterday and two goals from open play in the league so far isn't good enough. The local media should be asking when this much-heralded 'bums-off-seats' attacking football is going to materialise.

In retrospect, I think Brady was probably trying to switch up the tactics and play a 4-3-3 yesterday with Hoskins and Rose as wide forwards and a solid middle trio of McWilliams, Lewis and Flores.

However, much as I would like us try something different we simply don't have the personnel to play 4-3-3: Rose doesn't have the pace to play wide (as he showed last season) and we don't have a number 10 type who can run the midfield.

For me, he either has to stick to 4-4-2 and play proper wingers or try a 4-2-3-1:

Roberts
                  Macgowan Guthrie Horsfall Koiki

McWilliams   Sowerby

Hoskins/Connolly      Pollock/Flores      Pinnock

Etete

I agree on Lewis. I think JB brought him in hoping he'd be a goalscoring midfielder and a Watson replacement given that he scored 7 odd for Tranmere last year. However, he's clearly not going to create much himself and I think we'd be better off with Sowerby as a holding/passing midfielder.

Report Spam   Logged
West Stand

View Profile
500 Posts Search Combination
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2021, 15:05:46 pm »

Players who are not in the side are often better than those who are.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2021, 15:15:02 pm »

Players who are not in the side are often better than those who are.
Agreed, normally the longer they are out the side or the poorer the previous performance the better that player gets.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2021, 15:19:46 pm »

or try a 4-2-3-1:

Roberts
                  Macgowan Guthrie Horsfall Koiki

McWilliams   Sowerby

Hoskins/Connolly      Pollock/Flores      Pinnock

Etete

Wouldn’t be against this
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2021, 18:22:24 pm »

The away support was strangely quiet particularly in the second half. Even their goal was almost an anti-climax. Certainly in parts of the second half they looked the better side and made serious inroads on our left flank. The midfield did nothing . Ete must have been poor second half to be removed from the game. Flores is our only creative output we have so he must have been useless first half. Cannot understand why we don't use Connolly/Hoskins and Pinnock as wide players with Ete and Rose as the two strikers as they are the most likely to score...perhaps. In my opinion we need to have 3 midfielders, perhaps McW,Sowerby and Flores. I wouldn't play Okay-Dokey at left back better to have in midfield adding some drive. Currently we appear to be playing a system which does not really function. Be tempted to consider 4-4-2 or even the old 5-3-2! 

So 5-3-2 :

Roberts
McGowan and Villa lad
Guithrie, Horsfall, McWilliams
Hoskins, Kioki, Rose, Ete, Pollock

Of course the two of the forwards would alternatively need to drop back assist the midfield and/or defence and above all collect the ball and pass it! Therein lies the issue. Will need some coaching on positional play! Go back to basics bigtime!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2021, 18:31:55 pm »

I think you raise a good point specifically re Pollock who in my opinion will contribute much more - probably  I’m wrong but I get the impression newer signings will always get more benefit of the doubt selections than young home grown players

With our current crop of midfielders you would have thought that Pollock would have been in the side by now! I suspect that JB  may feel he is too lightweight to make a lot of difference..... just yet. If that is the case I would agree with him.

Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2995

« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2021, 20:14:49 pm »

i think both Lewis and particularly Flores need to offer much more .
Lewis is pretty much the player we expected but Flores has shown very little so far . Pollock is unlucky not to have been selected in his place.
One of the reasons Smith went was because there were concerns over his knee injury . He was also offered considerably more money by Orient .
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2021, 07:00:48 am »

This is not a Brady team, it is a Calderwood team.

I agree with this and it's why we're not seeing the exciting football promised by JB. I'm not knocking it exactly. As others have said, a solid defence should ensure that we pick up points regularly, but we need a balance. We don't attack enough and even when we get decent balls into the box there rarely seems to be a player in the right place to get on the end of anything.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2021, 07:08:17 am »

Isn't it a CC defence, who are doing what they are required to do?
It's the forward facing part of the team that needs addressing, to get the goals that win the games.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2021, 11:02:39 am »

I have said before Lewis brings very little, got to be worth giving Sowerby a start?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest168

« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2021, 12:04:36 pm »

FGR seemed to have a plan and idea of what to do go forward, we simply didn't have a clue.

(trying very hard not to have a go re data recruiting etc, where you would think they would fit easily into the system)

We battled hard and stop them playing quite a bit, but always felt if they clicked they would score.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: