The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 11:29:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Swindon (h)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swindon (h)  (Read 10514 times)
CobblerForever

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2021, 16:01:06 pm »

Well, I'm happy with that. Swindon looked a decent side, but we really took the game to them and attacked. We still need to improve our finishing but we looked lively going forward, our delivery into the box was much better and we got players in there much closer to the ball. A thoroughly enjoyable game, which gives me far more hope for the future than the unnecessarily nervy and defensive performance against Newport on Tuesday.

Some good individual performances too. Koiki looks a real find and his pace and runs give us a new option. McGowan and the rest of the defence were also very good. Hoskins and McWilliams also had good games. Overall, a good day, despite the draw, and the first time in a while I have felt genuinely entertained watching the Cobblers.

I agree. Absolutely pulsating.
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2021, 16:05:04 pm »

Bloody annoyed. If the linesman thought it was a fcuking foul why didn’t he flag.
I thought we were a much better team than them.
Ali deserved his mom but I thought Sean was immense today. I lost count of the amount of balls he won back today in midfield.
Still missing that creative spark in the middle and Sammy continues to frustrate. He does some amazing work and then he has the touch of a brontosaurus when he’s on goal with the keeper to heat!!
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2021, 16:21:05 pm »

and the first time in a while I have felt genuinely entertained watching the Cobblers.

100% this

Two small wobbly spells aside, it was a very good performance, and entertaining game
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2021, 16:30:08 pm »

Is it time to cash out on my £50 Ktete leagues top goal scorer bet?
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2021, 17:15:02 pm »

Hell yeah.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2021, 17:23:16 pm »

Still missing that creative spark in the middle

I think that lets the two wingers and strikers off the hook who really should be contributing more to scoring goals.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2021, 17:45:59 pm »

A thoroughly enjoyable game today with Swindon arguably playing the "better" football but its playing the more effective football. Either way, it was end to end stuff and always something going on. I'm still not clear why our goal was disallowed.

We certainly deserved the point and on balance I think that was just about a fair result.

The pleasing thing for me was that we created a lot more chances and on another day would have scored more goals. It feels like we are developing a a team and once we start putting these chances away we could have a really good team on our hands.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Bertie

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2021, 17:56:12 pm »

Enjoyable game and fortunately we got something out of it. The disallowed goal was one of the more bizarre things I have ever seen in half a cntury of watching the Cobblers. On the face of it a shocking decision, but perhaps the cameras will show different. Thought the ref had done well up to that point - but he's lucky the game didn't descend into chaos that would have been his fault.
Koiki looks the real deal - set for a good career. Roberts rapidly attaining hero status.
Crap substitutions - though it could be argued they were OK as we scraped the draw. Shame it was a game we should have won, and I think would have if the disallowed goal had counted.
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2021, 17:56:25 pm »

A thoroughly enjoyable game today with Swindon arguably playing the "better" football but its playing the more effective football. Either way, it was end to end stuff and always something going on. I'm still not clear why our goal was disallowed.

We certainly deserved the point and on balance I think that was just about a fair result.

The pleasing thing for me was that we created a lot more chances and on another day would have scored more goals. It feels like we are developing a a team and once we start putting these chances away we could have a really good team on our hands.
That’s not strictly true is it? We just can’t score the chances we create
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2021, 18:01:51 pm »

Entertaining game, good atmosphere and some decent performances, on the down side the substitutions were terrible, Lewis for Etete WTF?
Thought Hoskins doesn’t look right, he looks to still be suffering from COVID saw him walking around catching his breath a few times, mind you is a side effect of COVID the inability to pass to a team mate?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2021, 18:19:12 pm »

Entertaining game, good atmosphere and some decent performances, on the down side the substitutions were terrible, Lewis for Etete WTF?
Thought Hoskins doesn’t look right, he looks to still be suffering from COVID saw him walking around catching his breath a few times, mind you is a side effect of COVID the inability to pass to a team mate?

Regarding Hoskins;

I believe you are a West Stander so you probably witnessed him more in the 1st half than the second.

In the 2nd half (I'm in the East) I thought he was very good indeed creating a fair amount of the play and opportunities from the right.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2021, 18:37:18 pm »

Quite an entertaining game which we certainly did not deserve to lose and looked the more likely winners although we were slow out of the blocks and took about 1/4 hour to get into the game.
Strange goings on in the first half as the ref had awarded the goal and the lino had not flagged for an infringement so odd to then have it ruled out. I assumed that as they had a free kick from where their player was on the ground it was for a foul on that player. It now appears it was on the intervention of the 4th official.
Koiki rightly given man of the match and once again we generally defended pretty well.
The only downside was we picked up 4 totally avoidable yellow cards and certain players are fast heading for a suspension. Rose, McWilliams and Hoskins all now have 3 yellows (Hoskins 4 if his cup booking counts) after only 8 games and of these players only McWilliams plays in a position where this is acceptable although his yellow today was stupid in running up to the ball when Swindon were about to take a free kick and then pushing their player. Putting this into context our back 4 have a total of 5 bookings between them and as defenders you would expect them to be picking up the higher number of bookings. Perhaps we should start fining players who get yellows when they should not be.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2021, 18:44:21 pm »

Regarding Hoskins;

I believe you are a West Stander so you probably witnessed him more in the 1st half than the second.

In the 2nd half (I'm in the East) I thought he was very good indeed creating a fair amount of the play and opportunities from the right.
I am indeed, Hoskins played far better second half and assisted with our goal, first half he was so frustrating with his final ball.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2021, 19:02:13 pm »

Encouraging to see us create more open play chances today (18 shots with 5 on target according to the BBC).

I'd also say that Brady picked what is probably our strongest first X1 for the first time today (McW and Sowerby in midfield, Etete and Rose up front). I'd like to see Connolly really compete with Hoskins for a role on the wing though: one of them has to start delivering in terms of goals and assists.

Hopefully we'll see Koiki and MacGowan bombing forward on the overlap more and more as the team starts to click. IMO overlapping full backs is the best way of making 4-4-2 less predictable.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2021, 19:17:00 pm »

Maybe Harry Smith might have been a better bet!
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2021, 19:22:28 pm »

Seems I might be in a minority tonight, but I thought we were much better than Swindon. OK they knocked the ball around well but it was nearly an hour into the match before they had a shot ! Re the dis allowed goal, the Swindon manager was in the 4th officials ear from the first minute, he never stopped and I think he cracked. The 4th officials either inform the ref of EVERY offence they see or leave it to the on field officials , they can't just make ONE DECISION  per game.
    That said, it was a very good game to watch, like most others I thought our subs were "strange" but 1 point was the absolute minimum we deserved.
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2021, 19:37:20 pm »

Seems I might be in a minority tonight, but I thought we were much better than Swindon. OK they knocked the ball around well but it was nearly an hour into the match before they had a shot ! Re the dis allowed goal, the Swindon manager was in the 4th officials ear from the first minute, he never stopped and I think he cracked. The 4th officials either inform the ref of EVERY offence they see or leave it to the on field officials , they can't just make ONE DECISION  per game.
    That said, it was a very good game to watch, like most others I thought our subs were "strange" but 1 point was the absolute minimum we deserved.

Yep, said that above Carton. I wasn’t that impressed with them and thought we were very unlucky to not win that.
But then I thought FGR looked like champions in waiting last week and most didn’t.
Seems we all see the game differently - well knock me down with a feather?!
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2021, 19:39:25 pm »

In fact I’ll go as far and say that the Swindon defence was one of the weakest I’ve seen at Sixfields for some time! Shame we could capitalise!
Report Spam   Logged

Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2021, 20:37:22 pm »

Thought it was a really entertaining game. Both teams had spells where they were on top and had the other on the ropes. Draw definitely was the right result.

The disallowed goal was one of the worst refereeing moments that I can ever remember. We’d commented that Huxtable had actually been surprisingly good, and then that happened. The few minutes after was a debacle and he made the rest of the half all about him.

Swindon’s goal was really good. They tore us to pieces and it was a great move. Luckily, we did come back and the set pieces from Hoskins was top draw. Matched by a great header.

I’ve got to say I’ve been really impressed by Hoskins this season. He’s clearly worked on his end product and it’s becoming a lot more consistent. I’m not his biggest fan and am eating humble pie this year.

We will thrash a team soon, ideally against that horrible club next weekend.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2021, 20:57:49 pm »

Thought a 2 goal win would have been about right...

Really enjoyed the game, albeit it was frustrating at times.

McWilliams and Sowerby is without a doubt our best midfield combo at the minute. They absolutely compliment each other.

If only the strikers started scoring eh?! I think they will. But 8 games in, its still to be proved that they can. Ill stay patient!

Finally. Our left back is a very special player. Get him signed on a long term deal. Immediately. Best attacking full back I've seen play for us since Eddie McGoldrick. He will be a prem player in a couple of years, max.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: