The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:23:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Sutton (h) Sat 2nd Oct.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sutton (h) Sat 2nd Oct.  (Read 15519 times)
FezNTFC

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2021, 07:41:54 am »

A rare example of virtually all the comments on here being universal!

In all the previous games I've seen we've been difficult to beat and had a great team spirit even with our creative flaws, but yesterday we demonstrated nothing of even the positive things I'd seen in our matches. I think we can all appreciate that a team can have the odd bad day, but there were just so many avoidable things yesterday from a tactical perspective that just made it far too easy for Sutton.

As mentioned by almost everyone, why was Harriman not picked? When I saw the starting line-up I could only assume that we'd gone for three at the back (McGowan, Horsfall, Koiki) because the idea of not playing a ready made right back and shifting someone out of position to play there just seems utterly bonkers. I just cannot understand managers that play players out of position and it's always been a slippery slope when they start doing that as I don't think it inspires confidence in either supporters or the players for that matter. It also sends a terrible message to the player who's been overlooked.

Secondly, Sutton were a big physical side and the direct football we were playing against them was not working. At half-time I wanted to see some proactive changes from the management team to try something new. It was abundantly clear that we were not going to score using hoofball up to Rose and Kabamba because we barely won a header all half. Instead, no changes in formation and more importantly personnel. We then concede straight away and still wait 10-15 minutes before making any changes, but the substitutions don't even change the style of play - we end up going even more direct!

Mostly though, I'm just tired of being bored watching us at Sixfields. I used to side with the 'results at all costs' argument but honestly, as soon as you don't have a season ticket for one year and start doing other social stuff on a Saturday you really start to value the entertainment side more of things when you come back to watch them, and we've been pretty starved of that for a few years now.
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #201 on: October 03, 2021, 09:55:19 am »

As soon as I was told that they hadn't won a Football League away match and that Guthrie was out my confidence dropped. But I didn't think we would be that bad ! How many times have we heard, and seen, that Harriman can play anywhere across the back four, so why didn't we just put him in Guthrie's place instead of moving 2 other players out of their natural positions ? Plus, Sutton being a very big team, McGowan was up against a guy about 6 inches taller and didn't win anything in the air.
    Re the ref, I thought she was as bad as most of the refs this year, Sutton played her like a fiddle, getting in her face on every decision and she buckled. Their number 26 committed 3 or 4 fouls in the first 20 minutes, she spoke to him but didn't book him, McWilliams gets booked for his first foul and Rose gets booked for slipping over when he clearly played the ball. We are so un streetwise since Charlie Goode left and it costs us regularly.
   Finally a word about Sutton as a club, what a p*ss poor turnout, their first season in the League, so new grounds for all, and they bring just over 200 to their 4th nearest game, that's really poor. 
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #202 on: October 03, 2021, 10:28:31 am »

When? - apart from the height difference I thought she controlled the game well - I thought r
the free kick that eventually led to their first goal was wrong (but actually given by the lino) and I think McWilliams was very lucky not to get a second yellow - so perhaps you could illuminate me as to where she lost it?

Also take a look at Cartons opinion on the ref pretty accurate I would say? The point is, is that if you were not there then you have may missed  the ‘black arts’ going on? Again please clarify if you were physically at the game? It helps to fully justify opinions?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest1269

« Reply #203 on: October 03, 2021, 10:30:54 am »

Too lax with players stealing (throw ins) yd’s even after they were told to go back. Didn’t play advantage particularly 2nd half. Also in the 2nd half I thought there were moments where she might have lost control; an example of this was the curious incident with Kioki when he refused to hand the ball over to allow the game to be restarted. I would have booked Kioki for that. Too lenient with McW who should have been booked 2nd yellow. What made her more than acceptable at this level was her overall consistency in difficult situations; this affected both teams so fair does! Happy to see her again. Also she needs to be tougher on time wasting! It happens a lot, some referees are getting tougher on this.

All reasonable points but as you and indeed Carlton just summarised no worse or better than most refs at this level so I certainly didn’t think there was any point where she nearly lost it - the Kioki incident you describe seemed to me being her indicated he had to briefly go off for some treatment (possibly visible blood) and there was some confusion on communication - not a booking for me but definitely agree McWiliams was a lucky boy.

Getting back for every weekend game still tricky so only an Ifollow view which had disadvantages (lack of full pitch perspective & some of the gamesmanship that goes on) but also some considerable advantage over live in the stadium as close up on all on the ball incidents and of course replays - (which frequently help to correct toggle Tim’s passionate but regular incorrect observations!). Interesting also the Rose booking - live I thought was very harsh and like many thought he might even have been fouled in losing the ball - however. looking at the replay, he lost the ball fairly and then at full stretch played the man not the ball - a good attacking position for Sutton and definitely a booking.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #204 on: October 03, 2021, 10:47:38 am »

As mentioned by almost everyone, why was Harriman not picked? When I saw the starting line-up I could only assume that we'd gone for three at the back (McGowan, Horsfall, Koiki) because the idea of not playing a ready made right back and shifting someone out of position to play there just seems utterly bonkers. I just cannot understand managers that play players out of position and it's always been a slippery slope when they start doing that as I don't think it inspires confidence in either supporters or the players for that matter. It also sends a terrible message to the player who's been overlooked.

Completely agree on this point - I would love to understand JB & CC’s rationale for this decision.
I also think Shaun’s volatile style of play puts him more at risk as full back rather than central midfield
Finally I don’t like picking out players but currently for me, despite putting in a good shift and getting variable service Kabamba is not going to solve our goal scoring difficulties.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #205 on: October 03, 2021, 11:04:45 am »

As soon as I was told that they hadn't won a Football League away match and that Guthrie was out my confidence dropped. But I didn't think we would be that bad ! How many times have we heard, and seen, that Harriman can play anywhere across the back four, so why didn't we just put him in Guthrie's place instead of moving 2 other players out of their natural positions ? Plus, Sutton being a very big team, McGowan was up against a guy about 6 inches taller and didn't win anything in the air.
    Re the ref, I thought she was as bad as most of the refs this year, Sutton played her like a fiddle, getting in her face on every decision and she buckled. Their number 26 committed 3 or 4 fouls in the first 20 minutes, she spoke to him but didn't book him, McWilliams gets booked for his first foul and Rose gets booked for slipping over when he clearly played the ball. We are so un streetwise since Charlie Goode left and it costs us regularly.
   Finally a word about Sutton as a club, what a p*ss poor turnout, their first season in the League, so new grounds for all, and they bring just over 200 to their 4th nearest game, that's really poor. 

Small club.
Terrible weather.
Fuel crisis.

Wasn’t that bad a turn out.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
guest2995

« Reply #206 on: October 03, 2021, 11:12:18 am »

I'd genuinely by interested to know what evidence there is of this? Not neccesarily calling you a liar either, just want to know what your evidence is for making these claims.

It's the easiest thing in the world to suggest that a manger won't last at a club because almost none of them make it past two years... but I can't see any progression, and to be honest some of the results have masked poor performance. Only thing we offered was a good centre-back partnership, and set pieces, and nothing has moved on from them. What's the plan if we did sneak a way up to the next league playing this this, another years of being thumped? It doesn't take us anywhere, and as much as I like the bloke's passion personally, much like Austin and Sammo before him, I think I'm in the Brady out camp as well.

our budget is £1.4 million .
Look it up for yourself .
There are probably 6 Conference sides with bigger budgets than us.
We have to rely on bargain basement buys and then when players prove themselves, other  clubs know we underpay and subsequently pick off our players .
Any injuries or covid situations then hit us hard because of a threadbare squad.
Having said that , i don’t know why Harriman didn’t play or why we have brought a player in from Villa that clearly isn’t rated - he must be cheap.
We have a team of bang average players and those that are a bit better will be picked off .
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #207 on: October 03, 2021, 11:23:31 am »

Small club.
Terrible weather.
Fuel crisis.

Small Club - True
   Terrible weather - Very limited influence on numbers, when have you looked at the weather, after deciding to go to an away game, and thought "No I don't think I'll bother". If it had been sunny, how many more would have came, 10 ? certainly not 100.
   Fuel Crisis - As far as I'm aware, all the coach & rail companies have not been affected, so maybe a couple of car loads gave it a miss.

I stand by what I said, a very poor turnout.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #208 on: October 03, 2021, 11:32:21 am »

I think the stats so far paint a pretty accurate of our season so far:-
8 games with the Guthrie/Horsfall partnership 4 goals conceded, 2 games with 1 of them missing 5 goals conceded. Both of these were home games when you would think the defence would come under less pressure. When Nelson got his long term injury what a strange decision to bring in an unfit replacement who has still not put in an appearance since joining us in late August surely we could have found a player ready to immediately step in. With Guthrie missing at Hartlepool this does not bode well as they are unbeaten at home with 13 points from 5 games although they have not won any of their last 4 games and lost at Stevenage yesterday.
2 goals in 10 league games from our 4 strikers (1 each for Benny and Rose) and few goals from open play says that we still have the lack of creativity we had last season. In the pre-season it was stated we needed 2 decent strikers and that is still the case. I think Etete has to start next week probably as a loan striker with 3 supporting players behind him and 1 of those should be Pollock who could do no worse than those who played yesterday. He had a good cameo performance when he came on in the West Ham pre-season game and Iin the Coventry game was impressive when moved into a more central role after starting on the left.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #209 on: October 03, 2021, 11:38:59 am »

Almost 24 hours after the game I am still totally mystified by that performance, I just never saw it coming. Did we really miss Guthrie that much? should the absence of one player make that much difference? It seems that it did. If that is the case then it doesn't say much for our player recruitment over the summer as we now have a serious lack of defenders, and in particular centre backs (yes I know we have Dyche but is he really ready? and even if he is would yesterday have been the right game to blood him in?) I accept they couldn't have predicted Nelson would get a season ending injury but centre backs are frequently injured or suspended due to the nature of their position so surely we should have signed another CB rather than all those forwards or midfielders. Don't get me started on the Revan situation, he is only here until January and he hasn't even made the squad yet. JB said a week or two ago that he anticipates playing him against Walsall on Tuesday so it will be interesting to see if he turns up.

I must admit that before the game I was sitting at home , warm and comfy, and thinking do I really want to go to this game, it's peeing down, it's windy and for my 74 year old bones it's cold but as a season ticket holder I told myself to get a grip and get up there, after all it should be an easy three points shouldn't it ?. Nothing could have been further from the truth, they were streets ahead of us, and they were no great shakes either, certainly not in Swindon's class as evidenced in the previous home game. Only Roberts comes out of the game with any credit and even he admitted he could have been better.

Like most on here I was completely baffled why Harriman wasn't drafted in at centre back, playing McGowan there robbed us of a good attacking right back and left us exposed in the middle - he is simply not tall enough for a centre back. I thought McWilliams would do ok at right back but I was wrong , he had a mare and once again as others have said was lucky not to get a red card.

As for the midfielders and strikers, apart from flashes from Rose who missed a good chance to put us 1 - 0 up they were rubbish. I honestly believe that if we were still playing now we still wouldn't have scored, and even if we had managed to have a pot at goal we would still have had to beat Bouzanis, who I can assure you is an excellent keeper. As for Kabamba I reckon I could have done as well as him, why on earth wasn't Etete playing ?

I am hoping this was a one off and we will bounce back at Hartlepool (I couldn't give a monkey's about Tuesday's game) , but from memory our record there is not very good, even Wilder's title winners only drew 0-0.

There is another theory though, and that is, that it was my fault! I always drive to my brother in law's house in Duston and leave the car there and walk (I didn't walk yesterday), and just before leaving I always take a grape from the collection he has on display. Now normally they are all green ones but yesterday he had some green and some red ones and it put me in a right old spin - green or red? - well I chose green as I always have green and then Sutton turn up in green shirts and of course we play in red so sorry guys. Mind you I spent the whole of the first half thinking they were playing in blue - unless they changed colours at half time of course !!!

One bonus yesterday though was that the car park was free as there was no one on duty to collect the money - maybe it was too wet for them? And finally why are we housing the away fans in the corner of the East Stand when the South Stand is the dedicated away area?
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #210 on: October 03, 2021, 12:21:36 pm »

Also she needs to be tougher on time wasting! It happens a lot, some referees are getting tougher on this.

Maybe, but not many and not enough in my opinion. I'm not saying this because of yesterday. Sutton did it, but so do we and just about all teams, when they're winning. I just think there needs to much stricter action on time-wasting, diving, feigning injury, pinching taking throw-ins from as much as 15 yards from where the ball went out, etc. Of course, it really doesn't help when the likes of Luke Graham on ifollow commentary are applauding this behaviour  and calling it good game management. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but to me it's always been ( and always will be) cheating.
Report Spam   Logged
West Stand

View Profile
500 Posts Search Combination
« Reply #211 on: October 03, 2021, 12:22:15 pm »

Also take a look at Cartons opinion on the ref pretty accurate I would say? The point is, is that if you were not there then you have may missed  the ‘black arts’ going on? Again please clarify if you were physically at the game? It helps to fully justify opinions?

I was there, the ref was fine. People need to stop moaning about the ref. It"s boring
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #212 on: October 03, 2021, 12:26:51 pm »

The only possible reason Brady went for McGowan at centre back ahead of Harriman is the fact Sutton had two big and strong strikers and JB thought McGowan would be better at dealing with their physical approach than Harriman, which is possibly true.

There is still no excuse for not playing Harriman (at right back) with Shaun in his normal midfield role. I certainly think Harriman now knows where he stands with our current manager, as does Scott Pollock for that matter.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #213 on: October 03, 2021, 12:28:22 pm »

I was there, the ref was fine. People need to stop moaning about the ref. It"s boring

I agree I thought she was OK. Normally I would moan about only 3 minutes added time when we are losing but yesterday I was just glad to hear the final whistle.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 03, 2021, 12:37:05 pm »

I see that Max Dyche was "not available" for Kettering in the Cup yesterday (though he played the full 90 minutes in their previous league game) and therefore presumably will still not be available for the replay this Tuesday when we play in the FL Trophy. Any chance of drafting him in for the Walsall game? Has to be worth a try surely. Just imagine Dyche and Pollock having decent games and what that might mean for the rest of our season.

FWIW when I've seen Pollock I've thought young but looks a footballer. He could replace the older doesn't play like a footballer up front position.
Report Spam   Logged
Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
Linux User Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #215 on: October 03, 2021, 12:43:49 pm »

I see that Max Dyche was "not available" for Kettering in the Cup yesterday (though he played the full 90 minutes in their previous league game) and therefore presumably will still not be available for the replay this Tuesday when we play in the FL Trophy. Any chance of drafting him in for the Walsall game? Has to be worth a try surely. Just imagine Dyche and Pollock having decent games and what that might mean for the rest of our season.

FWIW when I've seen Pollock I've thought young but looks a footballer. He could replace the older doesn't play like a footballer up front position.

Agree must start him on Tuesday...

http://www.ketteringtownfc.com/news/max-dyche

As reported yesterday, defender Max Dyche has been recalled by Northampton Town from his loan period with the Poppies. Max made 7 impressive performances this season and we wish him all the very best back with the Cobblers.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #216 on: October 03, 2021, 12:45:23 pm »

Max Dyche was on the bench for us yesterday after the completion of his loan spell at Kettering. So, yes he will be available for our game on Tuesday providing JB wants to play him.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #217 on: October 03, 2021, 12:59:41 pm »

Small club.
Terrible weather.
Fuel crisis.

Small club, granted that area is hardcore Palace.
Sh1t weather, and fuel crisis, easy. Direct train to London Bridge, switch to any Charing Cross train (very frequent) and at CC, get on the Northern line to Euston.At Northampton approach the taxi rank. Job done.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #218 on: October 03, 2021, 13:10:22 pm »

Just had a look at total away attendances at grounds in league two. Ours is the lowest visited stadium according to this site. Whether you like it or not, we aren’t an appealing ground to visit.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-two/attendances/away
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #219 on: October 03, 2021, 13:10:31 pm »

Not much to add. We were God dam awful!

100% the final nail in the coffin performance that would end an under pressure managers reign..

Fortunately for Brady and ourselves, Brady isn't under any pressure at the minute.

Strange line up, strange tactics, strange subs. Players didn't seem to 'try'. Or being kinder, they simply were not up for it. Pinnock has had a lot of negative comments attributed towards him, I though have a real issue with Lewis. I just cannot see what he brings to the party. 10 games in, other than scoring a goal at Salford, I cant recall a telling contribution, how he keeps getting picked is beyond me?!

I tweeted after the 3rd sub was made, that Pollock may as well hand in a transfer request. He's wasting his time with us. 24 hours later, I stand by that. If he cant make it on the pitch yesterday, when can he? Yeah he will start on Tuesday. He started against FGR in the same competition and scored a good goal...yet since then, he's not had a minute of action. What precisely can he do to force Brady's hand? When Tim asked him about Pollock, he basically said we'd signed good midfielders in the summer. Well I haven't seen any of them!!

Still grumpy after that. I try to be positive these days when it comes to the football, avoid the politics etc. Difficult after yesterday. There wasn't a glimmer of positivity that came out of yesterday, and the apathy in the ground was really telling as well. No one seemed to give a sh1t. I left with 5 minutes left, so avoided the traffic carnage. So I guess that was something positive.

Rubbish. Utter utter rubbish!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: