The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 08:56:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Sutton (h) Sat 2nd Oct.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sutton (h) Sat 2nd Oct.  (Read 15507 times)
guest2995

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #260 on: October 04, 2021, 09:38:01 am »

Covid cost us on Saturday .
I would like to know how many players refuse the jab.
In no way am i saying Guthrie did because i don’t know, but with squads so small i think those that refuse it are letting everyone down .
Report Spam   Logged
guest3429

« Reply #261 on: October 04, 2021, 10:37:21 am »

Covid cost us on Saturday .
I would like to know how many players refuse the jab.

Klopp says all Liverpool squad are done yet only 30% of Prem footballers jabbed. 

Who's holding out?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #262 on: October 04, 2021, 10:43:41 am »

Klopp says all Liverpool squad are done yet only 30% of Prem footballers jabbed. 

Who's holding out?
Klopp is 100% right - do these players not realise if everyone refused the jab , they wouldn’t even be playing football and teams like ours would be going bust .
Players that don’t take the jab should be named
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #263 on: October 04, 2021, 10:57:26 am »

….and glued to Edgar Mobbs Way so we can insulate Sixseats.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #264 on: October 04, 2021, 11:08:34 am »

Sorry Evers I misunderstood your post. As you did not refer to "your daughters" I assumed that you was talking about daughters in general.
Regarding the Sutton players constantly surrounding the referee I imagine they were acting on the orders of the manager who was yapping at the 4th official throughout the first half in particular. He was being touted as our next manager and if this is the way he behaves I am glad that he was not appointed even if it gains any advantage.
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #265 on: October 04, 2021, 11:22:11 am »

Regarding the Sutton players constantly surrounding the referee I imagine they were acting on the orders of the manager who was yapping at the 4th official throughout the first half in particular. He was being touted as our next manager and if this is the way he behaves I am glad that he was not appointed even if it gains any advantage.
As I posted on another thread, we are so un streetwise and its costing us dearly. I know it's not the "proper" way to play but if the opposition are in the 4th officials ear and crowd the ref, we need to do the same. Swindon got our "goal" disallowed by harassing the 4th official and Sutton got away with things our players got booked for by crowding around the ref, something we haven't done since Charlie Goode left. You can't just sit back and let it happen, you need to fight fire with fire.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #266 on: October 04, 2021, 11:26:33 am »

Who's holding out?

Ok this is perhaps a risky statement to make but if people don't see it in the open and absolutely non racist context its made then its them who have the problem

Firstly - Young fit footballers don't think they are at a particular risk of serious illness from covid.
Secondly - it is well documented that in the wider population black and mixed race folk are taking up the vaccine in lower numbers - couple, point one with this and the fact there are a fairly high proportion of black and mixed race footballers you probably have part of the answer.

It's a complicated issue, some of my friends still have a concern on historical use of vaccines and drugs -  essentially experimented on certain ethnic groups with some devastating outcomes. It's patronising to say this is just about education and whilst I'm passionately positive about vaccinations no one can absolutely say there are no long term effects.

......subject is probably off-topic for the Sutton game

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #267 on: October 04, 2021, 11:26:54 am »

Sorry Evers I misunderstood your post. As you did not refer to "your daughters" I assumed that you was talking about daughters in general.

No probs - it happens, I sometimes confuse the best on here?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest1269

« Reply #268 on: October 04, 2021, 11:31:58 am »

As I posted on another thread, we are so un streetwise and its costing us dearly. I know it's not the "proper" way to play but if the opposition are in the 4th officials ear and crowd the ref, we need to do the same. Swindon got our "goal" disallowed by harassing the 4th official and Sutton got away with things our players got booked for by crowding around the ref, something we haven't done since Charlie Goode left. You can't just sit back and let it happen, you need to fight fire with fire.

Agreed - no question Sutton deserved to win but their gamesmanship is clearly part of their game plan - did they up it because it was a lady ref ? - personally I doubt it but interesting to see them in other games and I suspect it is the same.

To your point we definitely lack that fire - for me Charlie at times was simply a cheat but I think we can still inject more fire without compromising all integrity 
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #269 on: October 04, 2021, 11:55:38 am »

Ok this is perhaps a risky statement to make but if people don't see it in the open and absolutely non racist context its made then its them who have the problem

Firstly - Young fit footballers don't think they are at a particular risk of serious illness from covid.
Secondly - it is well documented that in the wider population black and mixed race folk are taking up the vaccine in lower numbers - couple, point one with this and the fact there are a fairly high proportion of black and mixed race footballers you probably have part of the answer.

It's a complicated issue, some of my friends still have a concern on historical use of vaccines and drugs -  essentially experimented on certain ethnic groups with some devastating outcomes. It's patronising to say this is just about education and whilst I'm passionately positive about vaccinations no one can absolutely say there are no long term effects.

From beginning to end, this thread has been about anything but the Sutton game!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #270 on: October 04, 2021, 12:04:10 pm »

I find your analogy of wife beating is in poor taste and leave it at that. Unfortunately I find some of your comments a tad patronising. I say that without rancour!

But earlier in your post, you stated;
"I have two modern daughters to boot"
Is there a big difference between wife beating and booting daughters?
I don't know...I have neither!  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 04, 2021, 12:10:14 pm »

I have no issues with Vaccines and would be somewhat disappointed if Cobblers players/staff are missing out. Regarding the highlighted opening sentence methinks a little Judgemental?
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 04, 2021, 12:19:25 pm »

But earlier in your post, you stated;
"I have two modern daughters to boot"
Is there a big difference between wife beating and booting daughters?
I don't know...I have neither!  Tongue

Cool You are a cad and a rotter and wont be voting for you as our man on the board Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 04, 2021, 12:20:10 pm »

The gamesmanship front;

Surely it's up to the officials to deal with it. Use yellows and reds to remove the perpetrators. No 2nd chances. I can't believe any official welcomes a 2nd opinion once the decision is made (or possibly explained to the Captain - the one with the relevant arm band).

Deepcut is our man for comment here.

PS I agree with the earlier poster regarding Linesmen - should do more.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #274 on: October 04, 2021, 12:47:17 pm »

I have no issues with Vaccines and would be somewhat disappointed if Cobblers players/staff are missing out. Regarding the highlighted opening sentence methinks a little Judgemental?

Why is it judgemental - its a simple fact one can make a statement about a particular racial group and some people will jump up and down suggesting racial stereotyping or worse.

It shouldn't be necessary but sometimes in the context of one dimensional communication on a message board it might be advisable to qualify a statement - but judgemental? -  not by any definition I'm aware of.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2021, 12:53:42 pm »

Coaches and managers are the only ones who can end gamesmanship.
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2021, 12:54:52 pm »

Can I just say that Sutton were better than us throughout the team and did something we could not which was to put the ball in the net on two occasions. They deserved their win.

Fitness issues aside our selection from those available and shape of team was baffling. Not sure what message it gives that you a solid defender in Harriman available yet a midfielder known for rash challenges is preferred.

Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2021, 13:21:47 pm »

The gamesmanship front;

Surely it's up to the officials to deal with it. Use yellows and reds to remove the perpetrators. No 2nd chances. I can't believe any official welcomes a 2nd opinion once the decision is made (or possibly explained to the Captain - the one with the relevant arm band).

Deepcut is our man for comment here.

PS I agree with the earlier poster regarding Linesmen - should do more.

I wasn't at the game so cannot comment specifically about this one.  But as I have said before, the officials have Mark One eyeballs to see incidents once and once only in real time to make their decisions.
Putting pressure onto an official is a tactic that is employed by a lot of clubs and despite denials that it doesn't have an effect, having been in that position and generally rate myself as pretty robust, it does have an impact even if the official consciously tries their hardest not to allow it to.  Not necessarily for the immediate decision but possibly for decisions later in the game.  The officials are human.
The crowding round the officials is something that 'all clubs' had agreed to stop doing, which initially yielded an obvious improvement, but it appears to have come back into the game.
At Step 5 and below and in some of the FA competitions, the use of Sin Bins for dissent, has drastically reduced the level of dissent considerably.  Which in turn allows the officials to make decisions as they see fit without any threats of verbal or physical dissent. 

"Linesman - should do more" As I have said previously, because of the communications equipment, all four officials will be involved in officiating the game, even if you do not see any visible flag or signals to acknowledge that.  You would be surprised at how much 'in-game' and constant chatter is going on during a game to assist the man/woman in the middle.  But it is up to that person with the whistle to take all of that advice and make the ultimate decision each and every time, normally within seconds.

Yes, officials do get decisions wrong but the majority are correct, or correct in line with the interpretation of the Law.  The main problem that officials have is with players, managerial staff, commentators/pundits and fans who either do not know the Law, or are not familiar with the interpretations, or what has lead up to the decision being made and what has been considered when the official is making those decisions.
It infuriates officials, when leading pundits make comment about a particular decision that is completely incorrect in Law.  Unfortunately, fans and media believe the version given on MotD or Sky/BT Sports which creates more unjustifiable abuse of the officials.

Which is why when asked, either on here or regularly at games, I try and explain the decisions in Law and also why I believe that the officials have made the various decisions.  I have also said that I don't necessarily agree with the particular decisions made (especially with my claret tinted specs on) and give my honest opinion when I believe that they have got it wrong, but I believe that my explanation provides a better education and understanding.

It's not a job for the faint-hearted.  Across the country, I heard last week that 35% of officials have not re-registered for the 2021-2022 season. There are not enough to go round, that is one reason why I have not been to as many Cobblers games as I normally do.  I and my fellow officials have been in constant demand.  One of the greatest reasons given for the 'disappearance' has been the level of abuse both verbal and physical that officials have suffered both during and particularly after games.  There are weekly examples reported in the media, a lot of examples that I've seen do not reach that level of publicity.
The game cannot continue without officials, some leagues in my area are having to self officiate some games because there are insufficient officials to go round.

I've asked for a weekend off, so I should be at Hartlepool, subject to a lastminute.com appointment, when we will be able to talk about the excellent Cobblers performance and not the level of officiating on the journey home, I can but hope... Cool
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2021, 14:49:44 pm »

Can I just say that Sutton were better than us throughout the team and did something we could not which was to put the ball in the net on two occasions. They deserved their win.

I don't think anyone is disputing that they were better than us, but they did try to "influence" the officials. I sit behind the away dugout and everyone around me was joking that while Sutton were so blatant with the timewasting when they were 2-0 up, the didn't need to do it at all , we were never going to score 2 goals. Sad
Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2021, 15:01:12 pm »

They did everything any team 2-0 up away from home would do.  But I agree they didn't need to. Im glad they did or they would have more opportunities to score even more!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: