The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 12:27:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Saturday at the Saddlers

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturday at the Saddlers  (Read 7989 times)
JeanGenie

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 5 Linux User
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2022, 23:15:36 pm »

An important away win, and only 3 (maybe 4 after this post) pages on the match day thread, tells you all you need to know about this forum...  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2022, 23:39:05 pm »

Great day out today. Support was outstanding, and though we didn’t play great, we finally got a win at a place where recent visits have been painful. Sure felt satisfying being on that station platform knowing we’d finally beat them.

Appere played well and it was a tidy finish. Robbo made a couple of fantastic saves today and probably did earn us the win.

We need to improve a lot if we are to secure a top 3 spot, but winning away from home when we’ve not played particularly well, I think it’s safe to say we’d all take that every week ☺️
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Risdene

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Level 4
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2022, 04:41:24 am »

I think the improvement will come when 2 or 3 of the new signings get a few games under their belts as they seem an upgrade.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2022, 06:04:12 am »

An important away win, and only 3 (maybe 4 after this post) pages on the match day thread, tells you all you need to know about this forum...  Roll Eyes

I wasn't there and only listened to the commentary on the radio so I can't speak for the performance. It was a great result, as is any away win, but I didn't feel the need to say that because it's a statement of the obvious.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2022, 07:51:23 am »

Another hard fought, hard earned win. Appere was quick, lively and made a nuisance of himself and did what our other strikers have struggled to do all season. Robert's kept us in it as he has several times this season and Lewis actually looked half decent when he came on. We've got to stop giving easy balls away so much. Not a great performance but a great 3 points.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2022, 07:52:17 am »

Oh yes, forgot to add; fantastic support.
Report Spam   Logged
Bertie

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2022, 08:02:40 am »

Big win - let's hope they can keep it going on tuesday night vs Newport. Can't afford any more Barrow like blips. Good start for Appere; and have some quality forwards now I think, Lubala and Eppiah will also play a big part in the coming weeks. Hope McGowan not too badly crocked as he has been consistent.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2022, 08:30:02 am »

Great win for the boys, great away support considering what was offered up at Sixseats on Tuesday.
Don’t think we played well though first 10 mins aside, Appere looked good just what we need.
Let’s put that Barrow defeat to bed on Tuesday night!

UTC
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Clint

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2022, 08:48:15 am »

A great day out, great support. I went with a friend who is a proper Man Utd supporter (he is actually from Manchester) and he was impressed with our performance, thought it was a deserved 3 points.
The new lads look good and I trust they will settle in quickly.
Got my tickets for next weekend’s game at Port Vale and looking forward to it 😀
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2022, 09:39:57 am »

A crucial win, after the Barrow performance, against an out of form Walsall but we needed Roberts to come to the rescue a couple of times. Good to see him and Guthrie have good games against their former team and the defence earning the win with another clean sheet. Yet again a goal from a dead ball situation and slightly fortunate as Pinnock scuffed his free kick.
We will need to up our performance to get wins in our 2 games against top 10 teams next week. However, after this we have only 3 games in the remaining 16 against top 10 teams, Tranmere and Exeter at home and Mansfield away.
The downside from yesterday was another yellow for McWilliams and to avoid a 2 match suspension he has to avoid another in the next 4 games, so many have been avoidable. Also injuries to Sowerby and McGowan and it will be interesting who plays right back with McGowan likely to be out for several weeks with his hamstring injury. It was interesting that yesterday JB dropped Hoskins back instead of bringing Harriman on so he will probably get the nod. Alternatively we could revert to a back 4 if Magloire can play right back as Revan did before.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2022, 10:18:02 am »

A great day out, great support. I went with a friend who is a proper Man Utd supporter (he is actually from Manchester) and he was impressed with our performance, thought it was a deserved 3 points.
The new lads look good and I trust they will settle in quickly.
Got my tickets for next weekend’s game at Port Vale and looking forward to it 😀

Good to read Clint.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2022, 10:43:30 am »

Any views on the system we played on Saturday which according to the media was 5 3 2. Worked for the midfield and defence. Not so sure it suited the strikers? For me 5 3 2 suits us for away games. For Tuesday perhaps we need to accommodate 3 up front? Even the dreaded 4 4 2 Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

west stand oap

View Profile
Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2022, 11:19:13 am »

Looking at the Walsall forum the general consensus is that we didn't have to do much to win, some appeared impressed by Appere and they thought the referee had a good game.
Any figure confirmed for our support? I see the Chron have it as 1200.
Report Spam   Logged
Risdene

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Level 4
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2022, 11:26:25 am »

The Police at New Street told us 1200 plus walk ups on the day.

Proud of the away support again!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 13:58:28 pm by Risdene » Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2022, 19:04:09 pm »

Sutton away but with a goal. Reverse of Tuesday night. Either way, what a great day out!

Not sure why/how there is any confusion over the goal. From behind the goal it was absolutely clear who scored it!

Im less concerned about the lack of creativity thereafter than maybe I should be. Simply because when you score so early away from home, the onus is on the home side and we comfortably managed the game and saw it out. Who knows how things would have unfolded if the game had had time to open up before a goal was scored...

Id actually like to see us go 4-4-2 on Tuesday though. I think we've now got the personnel to give that formation a much better go than before the deadline day. i guess much will depend on McGowans fitness. If he's not gonna make it, then maybe the wing back system will work for us for a period of time.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3481

« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2022, 07:11:50 am »

Great win and as others its important we build on that on Tuesday and Saturday.
Couldn't make the game but listened to most, read reports and watched highlights and does sound like when the new players get a few more minutes things might start to flow even better.
Two difficult games coming up though with other teams in and around the play offs. Not 6 pointers but couple of wins could help towards creating gaps with the top 3/4 and and also to those teams just outside the playoffs.

Not getting away from how bad we were on Tuesday night but interestingly a good result again for Barrow on Saturday, and doing us a bit of a favour too.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2022, 12:03:22 pm »

How the opposition fans saw us:
"Their whole team was useful. I thought their number 6 marshalled their defence really well and their left-back was very good. They were set up really well and pressed us effectively. They looked like a well-drilled team - we didn’t. Instead, we looked like a poorly coached side with no real structure, no cohesion and no plan. Our only tactic was to hoof the ball forward, and without a target man who can hold the ball up, then the result is predictable: zero goal threat. Time to Ctrl-Alt-Delete!!"
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2022, 12:42:39 pm »

"Their whole team was useful. I thought their number 6 marshalled their defence really well and their left-back was very good. They were set up really well and pressed us effectively. They looked like a well-drilled team - we didn’t. Instead, we looked like a poorly coached side with no real structure, no cohesion and no plan. Our only tactic was to hoof the ball forward, and without a target man who can hold the ball up, then the result is predictable: zero goal threat. Time to Ctrl-Alt-Delete!!"

Some article that and would hope and/or interesting to see the reaction on here from some.
Report Spam   Logged

DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2022, 14:43:45 pm »

As I think a fair few others have said, 'we did a Barrow' to them! Pretty much the reverse of Tuesday night. The onus is of course on the home team to attack and play entertaining football, especially when they are not winning. Once we got our goal, we didn't really need to take any risks bombing forward, in much the same way Barrow didn't on Tuesday night. Walsall struggled to create anything of note, and we managed the game well throughout. Job done!
Report Spam   Logged
45Yearsandstillsupporting

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2022, 16:12:53 pm »

Not the most memorable of games but, a win is a win and hope the news players bed in quick.

The most memorable part of the day was the smell of the phantom farter near me!  Christ it was like someone had disposed of a rotting corpse right next to me, happened at Bradford away too.  The chap next to me had a curry pukka pie, I almost bought the remains of it so I could stick it in my nose for the duration!

If you know who he is, ask him to change his pants before tomorrow night!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: