The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:48:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Saturday at the Saddlers

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturday at the Saddlers  (Read 7900 times)
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« on: February 03, 2022, 17:20:42 pm »

After the highs of the transfer window and the lows of a home defeat to Barrow we make the relatively short trip up the M1 and M6 to play Walsall.

The Saddlers are playing well below expectations this season and currently sit in 19th place, they are on a wretched run of just two wins in their last 15 games in all competitions, and included in that are five straight defeats before our visit.
They were beaten last Saturday by the only goal at Bristol Rovers, and before that suffered back to back home defeats to Exeter and Bradford. They have just four home wins to their name in their 14 home league games so far, Stevenage, Mansfield, Salford and Colchester have left pointless, but Forest Green, Bristol Rovers and Harrogate can be added to the recent two games which make up their five home defeats at The Bescot.

Matt Taylor is the head coach, the former Cobblers "hero" may be starting to feel the heat with just 9 wins in his 34 games in charge.

The Bescot Stadium is the venue, or The Banks's Stadium as it is currently called. This 11650 capacity ground was opened in 1990, and originally had terracing at both ends.  The away terrace lasted only a couple of seasons before seats were installed, the home terrace lasted until the end was redeveloped and a double tier seated stand was built, the stand now dwarfs the other three sides.

George Miller is leading goalscorer, 8 league goals to his name, although he has only netted once in his last 17 appearances. Conor Wilkinson partnered him up front last time out, Wilkinson is one of three players to have scored four league goals.

Devante Rodney is in line to make his debut up front though, the striker was signed from Port Vale last weekend. Their other incoming players in the window were Donervon Daniels from Crewe (Defender) and fellow defender Reece Devine from Manchester United.

Current ex Cobblers in their ranks are limited to Taylor, although another Taylor, he of the Ash variety, recently left on loan to join Kilmarnock.

83 previous games between the two sides, Walsall holding the slight edge with 35 wins to our 32. We have lost on our last four visits to the Bescot, late goals being our undoing on a few occasions. Our last visit saw us let a two goal half time lead slip as we fell to an injury time defeat after Callum Morton had netted twice for us. There was also a last minute goal which effectively consigned us to relegation and kept Walsall safe in April 2018, close on 9000 fans saw that game.
Our last win there came in March 2008 as two Bayo Akinfenwa goals went some way to atoning for our FA Cup defeat there earlier in the same season. We have won four of the fourteen games played at the Bescot.

Sebastian Stockbridge will take charge of the game. A long trek for another Tyneside based official, he has 24 games under his belt this season, handing out 74 yellow and three red cards. He has already officiated at the ground this season, overseeing Walsalls 2-1 defeat to Bristol Rovers, we last saw him at Burton last season for our 3-1 win at The Pirelli.
By coincidence though i'm sure, he was the referee in that big 1-0 end of season defeat in 2018 already mentioned in this thread.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 19:05:38 pm by GrangeParkCobbler » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 17:56:11 pm »

Nailed on home win.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 18:41:03 pm »

No interest whatsoever, hence had already arranged weekend in Glasgow...Partick Thistle v Queen of the South.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 19:01:15 pm »

The performance of Louis Appere has to be key going forward starting with Walsall. If he can fulfill the target man/hold the play up role we probably already have the lads capable of benefiting significantly from this - Eppiah, Lubala et al. Pinnock will have someone to aim for.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 19:57:35 pm »

Have we sold out for this?
The online is saying that there aren't any tickets available?  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 20:18:14 pm »

Have we sold out for this?
The online is saying that there aren't any tickets available?  Shocked
I bought a tkt today PM so it is working - but its all over the place and took 40mins to navigate.  Its possible but hard work probably best to ring 'em.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 20:32:24 pm »

I bought a tkt today PM so it is working - but its all over the place and took 40mins to navigate.  Its possible but hard work probably best to ring 'em.

Currently saying no tickets available. We had an initial allocation of 1010 tickets and we'd sold 800 or so a couple of days ago.....its possible they could have taken them off sale as there are few left. Whether we get a further allocation or whether there is a pay on the day option remains to be seen.....the away end holds close to 2000.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 20:50:39 pm »

Currently saying no tickets available. We had an initial allocation of 1010 tickets and we'd sold 800 or so a couple of days ago.....its possible they could have taken them off sale as there are few left. Whether we get a further allocation or whether there is a pay on the day option remains to be seen.....the away end holds close to 2000.

Just as I thought, I'll give the ticket office a call in the morning. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 21:37:32 pm »

The Leather derby. Looking forward to it. Start well and get some positive noise going from the away end and hope the home crowd turn against them. Every chance of a victory here.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 22:10:30 pm »

Just as I thought, I'll give the ticket office a call in the morning. Wink

Can try and purchase one for you?

Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 23:07:42 pm »

Can try and purchase one for you?

Thanks, but I'll try myself in the morning.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

GlosCobbler

View Profile
Search 50 Posts Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 10:01:51 am »

Just managed to get my ticket.
Additional 250 for sale on line until noon with additional 1000 on the day.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 10:21:26 am »

Just managed to get my ticket.
Additional 250 for sale on line until noon with additional 1000 on the day.

I was just about to post the same... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2022, 10:41:58 am »

I was just about to post the same... Wink

Looks like decent support going to this game - always good if over 1000+ at Walsall!
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 10:43:42 am »

Looks like decent support going to this game - always good if over 1000+ at Walsall!

Just need the performance to match it, it would be nice to fill the end at Vale Park next week as well... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2022, 11:50:22 am »

As GPC says Walsall do not have a very good home record with 4 wins, 5 draws and 5 defeats scoring 20 and conceding 21 so it offers us a chance to get our season back on track. They have scored in all but 2 of the 14 games and 5 times scored more than 1. They have only kept 3 clean sheets and have conceded more than 1 in 7 games (half of their home games).
It is a game between 2 out of form teams, all of the other top 10 teams have accrued more than our 4 points from the last 5 games and Walsall are on a losing run of 5 consecutive games. I wonder when that run will end, let's hope it is not tomorrow.
Walsall have been playing 4231 the same as ourselves so I would expect us to remain with the same system. The back 7 seem automatic choices and I doubt that Pinnock or Hoskins will be left out, Appere will probably lead the attack and after his brief cameo on Tuesday I would have Lubala taking the remaining position.
Report Spam   Logged
Letchworthcobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2022, 13:19:51 pm »

We can't lose to this lot. Walsall... it's Walsall
Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare except my genius
northamptonnewbie

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Level 3 Search
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2022, 10:04:04 am »

1st away game don't disappoint us cobblers  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2022, 10:35:24 am »

1st away game don't disappoint us cobblers  Grin

It should be a good first away day atmosphere and experience....assuming we are not 2 nil down after 10 minutes.
Could really do with all 3 today.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2022, 10:37:56 am »

Always look forward to this one, for no apparent reason. So I will take to the M6 with my usual guarded optimism. I’m pretty sure they won’t disappoint….

I’m well known for my accurate predictions  Roll Eyes ::  Grin So stick a tenner on us winning 3-0
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: