The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 11:36:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

End of Season Assessment

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: End of Season Assessment  (Read 1815 times)
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 6 Windows User
« on: May 26, 2022, 17:17:56 pm »

Now that the dust has settled, what are your assessments/reflections of the on-field season that we have just had?
https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/jon-brady-reflects-on-cobblers-season-what-pleased-him-what-humbled-him-and-what-he-learned-3709985
I can't disagree with much that Jon Brady has said there.  With a bit more luck, things might have been a lot different.  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 21:19:51 pm »

One thing that Brady mentions is that several players have had the best season of their career. I had been thinking about that in optimism in the run up to the Barrow game and even started to do a bit of research, here goes :

Liam Roberts played 49 times, the most ever in a season for him and nearly a quarter of all his appearances in his 8 season career to date. I am pretty sure that he got his highest amounts of clean sheets this season as well, but haven't bothered checking.

Aaron McGowan 44 appearances are his second highest of his career, but he scored a couple of goals as well. The season he got more, Morecambe only just escaped relegation, so I am guessing he won't look back on that season as fondly as this one.

Fraser Horsfall 53 appearances are his highest, nearly a quarter of his appearances in his 6 season career to date. 9 goals as well, which is a pretty respectable tally for anyone, let alone a defender. Again the number of clean sheets he has helped achieve is likely to be his best tally.

Jon Guthrie 50 appearances are his second highest. 8 goals, being a good tally, especially for a defender. Again the clean sheets are likely to be his highest.

Ali Kioki50 appearances is his highest by a long way, around two thirds of his career total.

Shaun McWilliams 43 appearances despite a spell injured, nearly a quarter of his appearances in his 6 season career to date. Maturing into his role, where he will need to be strong.

Jack Sowerby 38 appearances, despite injury, is his best to date.

Mitch Pinnock 53 appearances is his best to date, 9 goals and a fair few assists as well.

Sam Hoskins52 appearances is his best as is his goal tally of 13 despite playing in a variety of positions.

Unfortunately, I can't list an out and out striker as having had their best season, otherwise we'd have been champions.

If App3r3 can build on the promise he was showing later on it could be positive. If he can have the best season of his career next season, that could be the difference. If I could list 11 players having their best season, that would help. I As well as keeping those three offered terms. If, if if....
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 18:16:49 pm »

We should always be aiming for promotion in League Two. If we don't get that this year I'll be content as long as I'm seeing some good signs that we're on the way to achieving it, in much the way we did in the second half of the Wilder mid-table season. A more pleasing style of play on the eye and some blooding of promising youth-team players would also be welcome.

This was what I said at the start of the season. I certainly think we exceeded expectations in terms of being in the thick of the promotion battle for the whole season.

Playing style has improved, but is still rather agricultural at times - certainly think there's some room for improvement in that respect and especially when it comes to scoring.

In terms of youth team players, it was going to be difficult for them to break through when we had 7/8 regular starters putting in consistently good performances. Hopefully we might see the likes of Dyche and Abimbola improving their games tally this year.

Overall a very good season, and hoping we'll be able to build on it for 2022/23.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 08:59:19 am »

This was what I said at the start of the season. I certainly think we exceeded expectations in terms of being in the thick of the promotion battle for the whole season.

Playing style has improved, but is still rather agricultural at times - certainly think there's some room for improvement in that respect and especially when it comes to scoring.

In terms of youth team players, it was going to be difficult for them to break through when we had 7/8 regular starters putting in consistently good performances. Hopefully we might see the likes of Dyche and Abimbola improving their games tally this year.

Overall a very good season, and hoping we'll be able to build on it for 2022/23.

Couple of good assessments so far. Threw my hat in the ring fairly early in the season and am glad I did. That friendly game at Cambridge seemed to suggest we had a decent team. Even then our goal scoring effectiveness looked a bit sparse so early on!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 13:54:19 pm »

It is a season of complete paradoxes. Where once we started flirting with promotion, the expectation levels started to rise exponentially. The forgiveness factor decreased over the season. Replaced by an expectation to keep pushing on. I had to keep reminding myself that we were never meant to be in the top three.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 15:13:46 pm »

The Cobblers were one of the better teams (certainly the best defence) in a League Two of mediocrity bereft of one outstanding side.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 21:09:51 pm »

With regards to the end of season assessment of the forum I see Cobblertone has now joined Steve Massey in leaving us. Very sad to see both go, often very interesting contributors.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 22:24:41 pm »

With regards to the end of season assessment of the forum I see Cobblertone has now joined Steve Massey in leaving us. Very sad to see both go, often very interesting contributors.

Not surprised that SM had left as with his ideas for the North Stand were bound to attract criticism. Right insight from a far flung location! As for Tone, strange he should leave as at least he kept the Flag still flying.  Perhaps he suffered from illness or bereavement?                                                                                                                                                       
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: