The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 21:33:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Crewe Alexandra at home Saturday 18/03/22

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crewe Alexandra at home Saturday 18/03/22  (Read 5860 times)
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« on: March 16, 2023, 17:35:07 pm »

The Railwaymen steam into town on Saturday as Crewe are the next visitors to Sixfields. Jon Brady is as usual "bigging up" the opposition, but The Alex are currently in 17th position in the league with just two away league wins all season.
They are joint first in the draw stakes, along with Walsall they have drawn 15 league games so far, with 9 wins and 11 defeats. On their travels it is just the two wins (at Rochdale on the opening day and at Swindon in November) with nine draws. They have won just three of their last 18 games, although by the same token they have only one defeat in their last eight, that came at Stevenage on Tuesday night courtesy of a late home team winner. You have to go back to Boxing Day to find their previous away defeat, that came at Stockport, with draws at Mansfield, Sutton and Walsall along the way.
They don't score many goals, just 33 so far though four of those did come last week in a 4-3 come-from-behind thriller at home to Salford.

Top scorer is Dan Ageyi, a player who they are desperately trying to tie down to a new contract. He has 12 league goals to his name including six in his last 8 games. The 25 year old Burnley and Coventry front man joined Crewe from Oxford in January 2022, he only made 12 league starts in three years for the O's but did rack up another 54 appearances off the bench.
He is joined in the goalscoring stakes by Courtney Baker-Richardson, he started the season well scoring 7 goals by mid October before an injury saw him miss the next three months. He returned to the fold a couple of weeks ago and has made three sub appearances since then.

Lee Bell sits in the Crewe hotseat. The former Alex player (2002-08 and 2010-12) took over from Alex Morris in November. Before Morris was David Artell, who did have a 5 year+ stint in charge.

Cobblers connections in their squad are striker Chris Long who unfortunately has suffered from ankle issues and has only managed a solitary appearance this season. Long, who had a spell with us on loan from Burnley in 2017/18 joined the Reds from Motherwell and had a decent season last season reaching double figures in league goals scored.
Also in their squad is "concrete" Rod McDonald, he was a regular for Crewe this season but serves the third and final game of his suspension after being sent off at Sutton a couple of weeks back. Rod played for us between 2015 and  2017 and arrived at Crewe via Coventry, Wimbledon and Carlisle.

Our first meeting with Crewe did not come until 1958 following the end of regionalisation in the leagues, in 72 games since then we just edge the head to head with 29 wins to 26. They have suffered some heavy defeats in recent visits to Sixfields, going down 5-1 in 2009, 6-2 in 2011 and 4-1 in 2019. They did however pick up a win in their last visit, this came in March 2021 where a solitary Owen Dale goal gave them the three points in a game played behind closed doors. Earlier this season the teams played out a 2-2 draw at Gresty Road in front of 4071 fans. Two Baker-Richardson goals put the Alex on top, but a brace by Sam hoskins, the equaliser in the 90th minute, gave us a share of the spoils.

Crewe went from a team who always struggled at the wrong end of the fourth tier in the 1980's to a Championship side in the late 90's as their famed academy and development team kept churning out stars such as David Platt, Geoff Thomas, Neil Lennon, Danny Murphy, Robbie Savage and Dean Ashton to name just a few. Nick Powell shot them to promotion at Wembley in 2012 (and I was there to see one of the best goals i've seen scored live!) before relegation after four seasons saw them back in League 2 in 2016. Another four seasons later they were back in League 1 finishing second in the Covid affected season, before ending last season bottom of League 1 and finding themselves in the basement again.

Andrew Kitchen is down to be the ref, a second year EFL referee who has overseen 25 games this season, dishing out 63 yellows (10 in one game between Fleetwood and Cheltenham in August) and two reds. He was the ref for Crewes opening day victory at Rochdale, we have to go back to last seasons 1-0 home win over Leyton Orient for our last and so far only encounter with him. He didn't have much to do that day, only booking two from Orient in a game settled by a Sam Hoskins goal.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest2995

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 18:01:37 pm »

Good old concrete Rod … really pleased he has done okay since leaving us
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 19:06:02 pm »

The Railwaymen steam into town on Saturday as Crewe are the next visitors to Sixfields. Jon Brady is as usual "bigging up" the opposition, but The Alex are currently in 17th position in the league with just two away league wins all season.
They are joint first in the draw stakes, along with Walsall they have drawn 15 league games so far, with 9 wins and 11 defeats. On their travels it is just the two wins (at Rochdale on the opening day and at Swindon in November) with nine draws. They have won just three of their last 18 games, although by the same token they have only one defeat in their last eight, that came at Stevenage on Tuesday night courtesy of a late home team winner. You have to go back to Boxing Day to find their previous away defeat, that came at Stockport, with draws at Mansfield, Sutton and Walsall along the way.
They don't score many goals, just 33 so far though four of those did come last week in a 4-3 come-from-behind thriller at home to Salford.

Top scorer is Dan Ageyi, a player who they are desperately trying to tie down to a new contract. He has 12 league goals to his name including six in his last 8 games. The 25 year old Burnley and Coventry front man joined Crewe from Oxford in January 2022, he only made 12 league starts in three years for the O's but did rack up another 54 appearances off the bench.
He is joined in the goalscoring stakes by Courtney Baker-Richardson, he started the season well scoring 7 goals by mid October before an injury saw him miss the next three months. He returned to the fold a couple of weeks ago and has made three sub appearances since then.

Lee Bell sits in the Crewe hotseat. The former Alex player (2002-08 and 2010-12) took over from Alex Morris in November. Before Morris was David Artell, who did have a 5 year+ stint in charge.

Cobblers connections in their squad are striker Chris Long who unfortunately has suffered from ankle issues and has only managed a solitary appearance this season. Long, who had a spell with us on loan from Burnley in 2017/18 joined the Reds from Motherwell and had a decent season last season reaching double figures in league goals scored.
Also in their squad is "concrete" Rod McDonald, he was a regular for Crewe this season but serves the third and final game of his suspension after being sent off at Sutton a couple of weeks back. Rod played for us between 2015 and  2017 and arrived at Crewe via Coventry, Wimbledon and Carlisle.

Our first meeting with Crewe did not come until 1958 following the end of regionalisation in the leagues, in 72 games since then we just edge the head to head with 29 wins to 26. They have suffered some heavy defeats in recent visits to Sixfields, going down 5-1 in 2009, 6-2 in 2011 and 4-1 in 2019. They did however pick up a win in their last visit, this came in March 2021 where a solitary Owen Dale goal gave them the three points in a game played behind closed doors. Earlier this season the teams played out a 2-2 draw at Gresty Road in front of 4071 fans. Two Baker-Richardson goals put the Alex on top, but a brace by Sam hoskins, the equaliser in the 90th minute, gave us a share of the spoils.

Crewe went from a team who always struggled at the wrong end of the fourth tier in the 1980's to a Championship side in the late 90's as their famed academy and development team kept churning out stars such as David Platt, Geoff Thomas, Neil Lennon, Danny Murphy, Robbie Savage and Dean Ashton to name just a few. Nick Powell shot them to promotion at Wembley in 2012 (and I was there to see one of the best goals i've seen scored live!) before relegation after four seasons saw them back in League 2 in 2016. Another four seasons later they were back in League 1 finishing second in the Covid affected season, before ending last season bottom of League 1 and finding themselves in the basement again.

Andrew Kitchen is down to be the ref, a second year EFL referee who has overseen 25 games this season, dishing out 63 yellows (10 in one game between Fleetwood and Cheltenham in August) and two reds. He was the ref for Crewes opening day victory at Rochdale, we have to go back to last seasons 1-0 home win over Leyton Orient for our last and so far only encounter with him. He didn't have much to do that day, only booking two from Orient in a game settled by a Sam Hoskins goal.
You omitted their shirt sponsors: Mornflake!
Has anyone ever tried the cereal or even ever seen it for sale?  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 19:31:08 pm »

Here is a bad omen for Saturday, the referee Andrew Kitchen refereed Crewe's away wins at Rochdale and Swindon the only away games they have won.
Report Spam   Logged
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 19:42:59 pm »

You omitted their shirt sponsors: Mornflake!
Has anyone ever tried the cereal or even ever seen it for sale?  Shocked

Yes.  It was alright.

Have driven past the factory in Cheshire as well.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
guest2995

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 08:24:34 am »

Some big questions this weekend :
Start with Appere or Bowie or both ?
Start with Pinnock or not ?
Three at the back against an average side ?
For me , i don’t think we can play 4 at the back with Haynes as one of the 4 .
Start Appere and then bring on Bowie after running into the ground .
I would start Pinnock for more width and drop a midfielder from Tuesday .
Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 08:49:57 am »

Some big questions this weekend :
Start with Appere or Bowie or both ?
Start with Pinnock or not ?
Three at the back against an average side ?
For me , i don’t think we can play 4 at the back with Haynes as one of the 4 .
Start Appere and then bring on Bowie after running into the ground .
I would start Pinnock for more width and drop a midfielder from Tuesday .
I see absolutely no need to change the side from Tuesday unless we have to due to injury.

That was the most cohesive 90 minute performance for some time, and I thought the players we had on the pitch complemented each other. Yes there were some teething problems, and the odd mistake, but I thought they handled a very physical side with relative ease and actually drove forward as a team, led by Hondermarck, really well.

All three centre midfielders were outstanding, and as much as I like Pinnock (when on top form and played in his correct position) for me there's no way you can justify dropping one of Leonard, Hondermarck or Sowerby for him in his current form.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 10:17:05 am »

I see absolutely no need to change the side from Tuesday unless we have to due to injury.

That was the most cohesive 90 minute performance for some time, and I thought the players we had on the pitch complemented each other. Yes there were some teething problems, and the odd mistake, but I thought they handled a very physical side with relative ease and actually drove forward as a team, led by Hondermarck, really well.

All three centre midfielders were outstanding, and as much as I like Pinnock (when on top form and played in his correct position) for me there's no way you can justify dropping one of Leonard, Hondermarck or Sowerby for him in his current form.

I agree.
In my opinion, Pinnock has been the weak link in many of our team performances for a while now.
Hondermarck has shown, from his 45 minutes at Colchester and since that he is giving more to the team performance than Pinnock currently.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest2995

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2023, 10:36:34 am »

And there we have it ….
A lot of people criticising , quite rightly in my opinion that we have been too defensive at home .
We play 5 at the back and crowd the midfield against Mansfield and suddenly it is okay to play that way !
I thought we played better against Crawley and created chance after chance .
The problem is , he will not play Haynes in a back 4 , neither would he play Dyche in a back 4 and so you lose an attacking player and choices are limited .
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 11:16:08 am »

And there we have it ….
A lot of people criticising , quite rightly in my opinion that we have been too defensive at home .
We play 5 at the back and crowd the midfield against Mansfield and suddenly it is okay to play that way !
The problem is , he will not play Haynes in a back 4 , neither would he play Dyche in a back 4 and so you lose an attacking player and choices are limited .

Not sure whether I'm agreeing with you but five at the back isn't necessarily defensive if we have two attacking wingbacks, like Lintott and Haynes, which allows more in the attacking midfield.

From those available:

Burge
Lintott  Sherring Guthrie Dyche Haynes
              Leonard              Sowerby
                       Hondermarck
                          Hoskins
                           Appere

Report Spam   Logged

FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2023, 11:48:33 am »

And there we have it ….

I've read both your posts a few times and I'm struggling to make sense of what you actually want to see.

You want to drop a midfielder and play Pinnock to add more width, was the clear directive in your post though.

Therefore your options are 5-3-2, where he's out of position regardless of where he plays, whether it's in the middle of the three (where he can't offer the width you want) or as a LWB, where you've put him in instead of Haynes who plays that exact position.

OR, you're playing Pinnock wide in a 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. All fine, but then who plays left back, because the other thing you were clear about is that you don't want to see Haynes in the back 4. So you're either shifting someone out of position or playing Osew, who Brady has stated can only play 30 minutes maximum at the moment.

Perhaps it would be easier if you actually put what you think the starting XI should be, because unless I'm missing something I can't see how you can bring Pinnock back into the fold and NOT shift someone out of position to compensate for it. Why upset the balance of the side to bring someone in who's out of form?

Regarding 4 or 5 at the back, it's all relative isn't it? If we have a full squad to pick from then you can be in the position to debate whether we should play 4 or 5 at the back at home.

But the injuries at the moment are largely dictating that we're going to have to play 5-3-2 because, as you point out, I'm not sure Brady likes to utilise Haynes in a back 4.

The team who played that formation on Tuesday played it really well, and I don't think many football fans will criticise a manager for starting with a formation and team that played well in the previous game - as long as the manager is flexible enough to change it if it's clear it isn't working the next time around.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 11:50:55 am by FezNTFC » Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 11:59:12 am »

I've read both your posts a few times and I'm struggling to make sense of what you actually want to see.

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2023, 12:08:55 pm »

36 home games against Crewe of which we have won 18 (half), drawn 10 and lost 8, their away record this season is won 2, drawn 9 and lost 5 scoring only 11 goals and conceding 21. Only 3 teams have scored fewer goals than Crewe and only Gillingham have scored fewer away goals, also only 5 teams have conceded more goals including the bottom 4.
In their 17 away games they have failed to score in 8 and only 3 times have scored more than once, they have kept 4 clean sheets and 6 times conceded more than once.

On Tuesday night they lost 0-1 to a late goal at Stevenage but before that were unbeaten in 7 including 5 draws. Other than losing at Stevenage they also lost at Salford and Stockport but drew at Bradford, Carlisle, Mansfield and Sutton.

Crewe will probably come with the intention of leaving with the point they start with and "park the bus" (or in their case possibly a train) so we need to score an early goal or it could turn into a frustrating game. In their game at Stevenage there was a total of 11 minutes added time and the majority of that was put down to time wasting.

I imagine that although Appere and Sowerby were subbed on Tuesday night they will both be available as both were suffering from cramp. None of the injured are likely to be back so Pinnock will be the only addition to the squad. I would not be surprised to see JB continue with 3 centre backs in which case it would be surprising if any of the 3 midfielders or 2 attackers were omitted to include Pinnock. With Carlisle and Stevenage playing each other a win is vital and we have more than enough to achieve this even with our depleted squad.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3574

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2023, 13:04:41 pm »

And not having to listen to David Artell whingeing ever again  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
PurelyCobblers92

View Profile
Level 3 Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2023, 13:22:31 pm »

Whatever the system, I would try to get Bowie in (if fit enough), he brings a different kind of energy and application down the wing than the likes of Pinnock for example, plus is arguably more effective. Always a threat and really gives defenders something to think about!
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2023, 13:45:09 pm »

All of our players have knocks and injuries... just ask Jon Brady, Jon Brady, Jon Brady!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2023, 13:47:20 pm »

Train strike when we had them away and train strike for home game also. Chuffin Hell
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2023, 16:04:56 pm »

36 home games against Crewe of which we have won 18 (half), drawn 10 and lost 8, their away record this season is won 2, drawn 9 and lost 5 scoring only 11 goals and conceding 21. Only 3 teams have scored fewer goals than Crewe and only Gillingham have scored fewer away goals, also only 5 teams have conceded more goals including the bottom 4.
In their 17 away games they have failed to score in 8 and only 3 times have scored more than once, they have kept 4 clean sheets and 6 times conceded more than once.

On Tuesday night they lost 0-1 to a late goal at Stevenage but before that were unbeaten in 7 including 5 draws. Other than losing at Stevenage they also lost at Salford and Stockport but drew at Bradford, Carlisle, Mansfield and Sutton.

Crewe will probably come with the intention of leaving with the point they start with and "park the bus" (or in their case possibly a train) so we need to score an early goal or it could turn into a frustrating game. In their game at Stevenage there was a total of 11 minutes added time and the majority of that was put down to time wasting.

I imagine that although Appere and Sowerby were subbed on Tuesday night they will both be available as both were suffering from cramp. None of the injured are likely to be back so Pinnock will be the only addition to the squad. I would not be surprised to see JB continue with 3 centre backs in which case it would be surprising if any of the 3 midfielders or 2 attackers were omitted to include Pinnock. With Carlisle and Stevenage playing each other a win is vital and we have more than enough to achieve this even with our depleted squad.
You forgot Mornflake!
Better than Quaker Oates?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2023, 16:51:02 pm »

You want to drop a midfielder and play Pinnock to add more width, was the clear directive in your post though.

Therefore your options are 5-3-2, where he's out of position regardless of where he plays, whether it's in the middle of the three (where he can't offer the width you want) or as a LWB, where you've put him in instead of Haynes who plays that exact position.

OR, you're playing Pinnock wide in a 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. All fine, but then who plays left back, because the other thing you were clear about is that you don't want to see Haynes in the back 4. So you're either shifting someone out of position or playing Osew, who Brady has stated can only play 30 minutes maximum at the moment.

Perhaps it would be easier if you actually put what you think the starting XI should be, because unless I'm missing something I can't see how you can bring Pinnock back into the fold and NOT shift someone out of position to compensate for it. Why upset the balance of the side to bring someone in who's out of form?

Regarding 4 or 5 at the back, it's all relative isn't it? If we have a full squad to pick from then you can be in the position to debate whether we should play 4 or 5 at the back at home.

But the injuries at the moment are largely dictating that we're going to have to play 5-3-2 because, as you point out, I'm not sure Brady likes to utilise Haynes in a back 4.

The team who played that formation on Tuesday played it really well, and I don't think many football fans will criticise a manager for starting with a formation and team that played well in the previous game - as long as the manager is flexible enough to change it if it's clear it isn't working the next time around.

That is fair comment Fez and i take what you say on board .
I don’t think we will get away with playing the wing backs so high up the pitch in every game . Mansfield did not try and get behind us wide because they had players out of position.
I think we may get punished against better teams .
There is a really good case for starting with the team that started on Tuesday , of course .
However , i think we played better against Crawley .
i would pick 4 4 1 1 and play the new guy at left back . Leonard and Sowerby in the middle .
Hoskins and Pinnock wide .
Hondermark behind Appere .
Bring Bowie on when Appere has run his legs off .
I wouldn’t play either Haynes or Dyche .
i don’t think JB will do that and i think he will start as we did against Mansfield but i think that side will not create many chances against an organised team and they will get behind us wide .
it’s all about opinions but i think we were a bit fortunate on tuesday with how they set up .

Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2023, 09:19:29 am »

I have a bad feeling about this game.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: