The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 18:14:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Doncaster Rovers(a) - Saturday 25 March 2023

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doncaster Rovers(a) - Saturday 25 March 2023  (Read 7643 times)
Coolcat

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2023, 22:54:59 pm »

Who was the knob who watched on I-Player?

Fair play to the 900 odd Cobblers fans in Doncaster today!
Now in Sheffield. Can't believe everywhere, from Kelham Island to West Street, lads going 'Northampton fans, a claret n white scarf worn by my other half respected by the Steel City - well certainly by the Sheffield United contingent anyway!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2023, 23:03:55 pm »

The real heroes today may have been the bumper away crowd whose non stop support at critical moments of the game was important. In many ways the difference between the two side were the goalkeepers. Personally I thought the defence played well enough but I got a bit irritated with the misplaced passes coming out of defence and midfield for that matter. Doncaster were all at sea for the first 10/25 Mins. The first goal arrived via clever passing in the final 3rd. For me after watching the replays for the first goal it seemed pretty obvious that Mitchell was unsighted but even so a better reaction should have been possible. Contrary to comments on here made during the week Doncaster began to improve to a semblance of a side. Indeed they should have equalised just before half time when their number 23 flung himself at a dangerous cross and missed connecting by an inch or two....it was that close to one each.  The second half we improved and began to assert some modicum of control. They also improved but for all their huff and puff failed to trouble us significantly. The midfield after recent displays were a bit disappointing, some of Sowerbys passing was atrocious and hardly noticed Leonard but that might have been just me. Appere did trouble their defence with his constant running but he was not so impressive as last week. Hoskins however certainly put me in a more relaxed mode by somehow being in the right place at the right time and scoring from an awful mistake made by Mitchell.
One thing is certain, a glance at our remaining fixtures will suggest that Carlisle and Stevenage plus even for example Gillingham will have more effective forwards. I can only hope we retain possession better and regain some of the form which has served us so well recently.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2023, 09:47:47 am »

Another assured and confident performance. You have to say the recruitment has been exceptional, for a squad to incur this many injuries and still perform to this level has been pretty special. Arguably the strongest squad we’ve ever had. Additionally, Sam Hoskins being the first player to score 20 league goals in a season since Richard Hill is quite a moment for some of us of a certain age. Literally can’t wait for Stevenage.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2023, 10:08:52 am »

That will be me. Decided against spreading my COVID amongst the rest of you, but glad I got to see a game that I had planned to go to.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
guest3574

« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2023, 10:11:12 am »

Fair play to the 900 odd Cobblers fans in Doncaster today!
Now in Sheffield. Can't believe everywhere, from Kelham Island to West Street, lads going 'Northampton fans, a claret n white scarf worn by my other half respected by the Steel City - well certainly by the Sheffield United contingent anyway!
Did you go to Dempsey’s? An old friend runs the door
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2023, 10:22:17 am »

That will be me. Decided against spreading my COVID amongst the rest of you, but glad I got to see a game that I had planned to go to.
Makes a change to be someone in addition to me Bingers. You may find this hard to believe, but I’m always a knob apparently?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2023, 10:30:25 am »

Makes a change to be someone in addition to me Bingers. You may find this hard to believe, but I’m always a knob apparently?

I don't think you are a knob Melly.  Well, your hearts in the right place at least.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2023, 11:07:01 am »

With Doncaster in poor form and little to play for I expected this to be a more winnable game than those struggling for survival at the bottom of the league. After being gifted an early goal we looked quite comfortable for a while but as the half wore on people around me began getting edgy as began to give the ball away and they were trying to get down the side of us. Doncaster had 2 good chances but the first was headed straight at Burge and fortunately nobody got a touch to the ball that wizzed across the box.

The second half began in a similar fashion and straight away we had to head the ball away for a corner which was followed by them shooting wide. Then the gift that keeps on giving presented us with the second goal and once again we were comfortable as they did not look capable of scoring 2 goals and Burge was mostly untroubled. As Everbrite said the travelling support was loud throughout but often crude.

It was not a classic but when you have to constantly change the starting 11 that is not surprising and as JB says we keep finding a way and that is now an impressive 17 points from the last 7 games. I thought McGowan did ok at centre back but on occasions we made hurried clearances with several big boots upfield.

Hopefully Sherring will be soon back and also McGowan has not picked up another injury as he had to off near the end of the game.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3574

« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2023, 11:36:23 am »

Lots of empty seats in the home areas?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3568

« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2023, 11:57:49 am »

Was there yesterday, the atmosphere bar a terrible sounding drum was awful.

Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2023, 12:30:35 pm »

I don't think you are a knob Melly.  Well, your hearts in the right place at least.
A sort of sentimental knob if you will?
Report Spam   Logged

WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2023, 12:34:34 pm »

Comfortable win. Not the greatest of games but we are finding a way to get results.  They rarely troubled us and we could have added a couple more. Yengi wasteful but at least he’s getting into the positions and getting those opportunities. Mitchell really did help us to the three points.
Nice stadium which really puts Sixfields to shame but very quiet home fans. Cobblers loud and proud when it mattered. A bit of a faff buying tickets on the day. Used the Beefeater pub on the retail park. Decent pint and some food. Paid a visit to the shop where Open All Hours was filmed just down the road. A good day.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2023, 12:49:58 pm »

You are not alone Roll Eyes That dancing girl was in top form performing the tango and then that strange Korean kind of trance. You would have loved the boisterous crowd. Mad Michelle had a few moments of joy with a few of theirs well to our left of the goal! All good fun though!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2023, 14:38:29 pm »

Comfortable win. Not the greatest of games but we are finding a way to get results.  They rarely troubled us and we could have added a couple more. Yengi wasteful but at least he’s getting into the positions and getting those opportunities. Mitchell really did help us to the three points.
Nice stadium which really puts Sixfields to shame but very quiet home fans. Cobblers loud and proud when it mattered. A bit of a faff buying tickets on the day. Used the Beefeater pub on the retail park. Decent pint and some food. Paid a visit to the shop where Open All Hours was filmed just down the road. A good day.

Not difficult.
Report Spam   Logged
Gaston

No one says no to Gaston!

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2023, 14:49:12 pm »

A fantastic result and looking forward to the run in.

Although the injury list is long, I can’t help think it’s a good thing in regard to defensive options. Never a fan of playing a back 5, the results and performances looked less convincing with a back 5. Due to the injuries Brady has had to revert to a back 4 and we look a lot more balanced, just like the first 20 league games. UTC
Report Spam   Logged

Hugs and Kisses xoxox
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2023, 15:47:03 pm »

Lots of empty seats in the home areas?

That’s the dream! If only we could add a few thousand extra seats in sixfields we too could be sitting in a half empty stadium!.
Report Spam   Logged
West Stand

View Profile
500 Posts Search Combination
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2023, 16:53:37 pm »

A fantastic result and looking forward to the run in.

Although the injury list is long, I can’t help think it’s a good thing in regard to defensive options. Never a fan of playing a back 5, the results and performances looked less convincing with a back 5. Due to the injuries Brady has had to revert to a back 4 and we look a lot more balanced, just like the first 20 league games. UTC

We played a back 5 for the whole of the second half.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 16:59:07 pm by West Stand » Report Spam   Logged
guest3574

« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2023, 16:59:01 pm »

That’s the dream! If only we could add a few thousand extra seats in sixfields we too could be sitting in a half empty stadium!.
Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2023, 17:03:29 pm »

Just back from Sporting Khalsa v Northampton Town Ladies.
A 2-1 win after coming from a goal down. Alex Dicks in particular, brilliant!

Seen Cobblers win twice in consecutive days...some stat for Marvo!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2023, 17:11:40 pm »

It may give us the opportunity to progress to the next level for the first time in nearly 60 years.
The idea of empty seats doesn't stop other clubs thinking big. Better a few empty seats than an
embarrassing non league standard stadium.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: