The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 15:28:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Karma  (Read 5404 times)
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« on: March 26, 2023, 07:02:19 am »

Please forgive me for posting about another game but, I believe my story may help fellow Cobbs supporters:

While the mighty Cobbs were grabbing 3 vital points up at Donny, I went with a Notts ST mate to Meadow Lane to see County play Scun*horpe.
For the last 10 months I’ve had a lot of anger, bordering on hatred, for everything to do with this crappy little team but, yesterdays 4-0 drilling has cleansed my soul in so many ways.

There was a crowd of 16,000 there (running a £10 a ticket offer) with over 1,500 Scunny.
Sc****horpe were probably the worst team I’ve seen playing professional football in my 5 decades of watching lower league football - not much above the level of a Sunday pub league team. They were battered. Forget shots on goal, they didn’t really get out their own half. As I cheered the 4th goal going in and their miserable supporters getting out of their seats and heading for home, something happened deep inside me.

The hatred that had been festering suddenly made way for compassion and pity. Sure, I was awash with a deep cleansing feeling of Karma but the anger towards them for that appallingly unprofessional decision they made in May 2022 was gone.

I’m healed and ready to face an exciting 2 months as a Cobbler. And, although Scunny look destined for a second demotion in 2 years, I have a healthy feeling of complete ambivalence.

Thank you for indulging me in this post and act of pure self indulgence. I hope it helps at least one person out there!
UTC

PS Notts look a bloody good team. They’ve got a couple of very lively wing backs, some really solid and creative midfielders and a forward (Langstaff) who looks pretty deadly up front / he scored his 39th goal of the season yesterday. Fingers crossed we won’t be playing them next season!
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 08:15:02 am »

I can totally understand this post. Generally I sympathise with their supporters. But I wish the club all the shyte that comes its way on its path to hopefully, oblivion.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 08:28:12 am »

I can totally understand this post. Generally I sympathise with their supporters. But I wish the club all the shyte that comes its way on its path to hopefully, oblivion.

Bit harsh, wishing oblivion on another club. Although Milton Keynes I could understand.
Surely the supporters are the club. Chairmen/managers/players come and go etc, etc, etc.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 08:53:21 am »

No room for cheats, glad your cleansed Jim, my hatred for Scunny will die when they do.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 08:59:07 am »

No room for cheats, glad your cleansed Jim, my hatred for Scunny will die when they do.

Get over it.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 09:26:36 am »

Looking back it was a poor decision by a manager who allowed his personal feelings to cloud his professional judgment. Gave no thought or care for the ramifications as he indulged himself in a petty and shameful attempt to publicly humiliate the senior members of his squad in some pointless act of vindictiveness. Not only that and perhaps worst of all he threw some young players with very limited experience under the bus in the process, and then sacked some of them afterwards. Unfortunately as often the case the consequences were also inflicted on an innocent party as a result. Nothing to do with Sc***horpe FC or the supporters, and perhaps ultimately it did us favour. Another season in this division is perhaps what we needed. Blame Keith Hill if you like, but I think he caused himself far more damage professionally than anyone else ever could. Hopefully it will turn out to be the case of alls well that ends well, but there’s no point dwelling on it.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
DavCobb

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2023, 09:58:48 am »

Wrexham/County must fancy their chances in the play offs.
No disrespect to the likes of Forest Green but a couple of ‘proper’ teams. Getting 10,000+ crowds in the conference is not too shabby.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 10:20:32 am »

Wrexham/County must fancy their chances in the play offs.
No disrespect to the likes of Forest Green but a couple of ‘proper’ teams. Getting 10,000+ crowds in the conference is not too shabby.

I dream of actually being able to get 10000+ crowds.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 10:56:23 am »

Two massive underachievers finally getting it right, with Wrexham needing to be financially doped to do it.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 13:06:59 pm »

[quote author=Winslow Lee link=
 (/quote)

Gina is ally doped! That’s spell check for you  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 16:29:30 pm »

Interesting post Jim - personally I never felt that much bile for the club - not that I like them much, from the very cramped seats at the Old Show Ground to a 6-nil thrashing in their miserable newer ground. I reserve my contempt for Keith Hill for, as previously mentioned not only his actions in the day but also for the subsequent actions and almost certainly ending the hopes and aspirations of some of those young players. Of course it will never be proven but I would be very surprised if there was no conversation between the unpleasant little s*** and Hill prior to the team selection.
Sc***horpe’s fate again this year seems likely and such demise rests at the hands of poor ownership and perhaps a cautionary tale to those who constantly berate our current owners - be careful what you wish for.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 16:39:29 pm »

to a 6-nil thrashing in their miserable newer ground.
Wasn’t it 7-nil!!
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 16:53:00 pm »

Wasn’t it 7-nil!!

…..probably heading back down the A1 by the 7th!
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2023, 17:11:08 pm »

Bit harsh, wishing oblivion on another club. Although Milton Keynes I could understand.
Surely the supporters are the club. Chairmen/managers/players come and go etc, etc, etc.
Absolutely agree! They are the club and it was they who had to endure the 7 goal drubbing at Bristol Rovers.
Conspiracy theories about Rovers paying Scunny aside, the ire should be directed at the walk away Scott free mastermind behind that day...a certain Mr Keith Hill!
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 17:16:51 pm »

Absolutely agree! They are the club and it was they who had to endure the 7 goal drubbing at Bristol Rovers.
Conspiracy theories about Rovers paying Scunny aside, the ire should be directed at the walk away Scott free mastermind behind that day...a certain Mr Keith Hill!

Exactly.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3571

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2023, 08:00:12 am »

I hope Keith Hill never gets a job in football again.
I hope that Sc***horpe are able to stabalise and provide some much needed relief for their fans on a Saturday afternoon. Dont care at what level but would never wish a club to disappear (MK dont count).

Football is for the fans, not the greedy owners or arsehole managers!
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2023, 13:50:36 pm »

With other results going against them last night Sc***horpe inch closer to sixth tier football and matches against Brackley and Banbury. I remember all four teams currently in the relegation places (Maidstone, Torquay, Yeovil & Sc***horpe) being league clubs with the latter two both playing second tier football in the last 15 years. It just goes to show how transitory success often is, I often hear people talk of ‘establishing’ themselves in a certain league when in reality nearly all clubs are just one poor managerial appointment or transfer window from relegation.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2023, 14:10:43 pm »

With other results going against them last night Sc***horpe inch closer to sixth tier football and matches against Brackley and Banbury. I remember all four teams currently in the relegation places (Maidstone, Torquay, Yeovil & Sc***horpe) being league clubs with the latter two both playing second tier football in the last 15 years. It just goes to show how transitory success often is, I often hear people talk of ‘establishing’ themselves in a certain league when in reality nearly all clubs are just one poor managerial appointment or transfer window from relegation.

Reminds me. They could well be playing Kettering as well. I went to watch the Poppies last night for the first time in a few years, played out a 0-0 draw with scum lite (Peterborough Sports). I may well enjoy a visit there next season if they play these t@ssers on a Tuesday night  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2023, 14:19:42 pm »

Very true. And to be fair, I wont miss any of them. And you can chuck Macclesfield into the mix as well. Nothing against the fans, just never enjoyed my trips to any of them. And it looks like Wigan are about to come crashing down to League one, ten years after beating Man City to win the FA cup.
History is full of teams that crash and burn. One minute successful, next in the bottom divisions. Hello Forest, Pompey, Man City, Wolves, Brighton, Leicester, Stoke, Leeds, Bradford, Charlton, Sheff Weds. There are loads more, but  I just picked the ones that I had a good away day at. Success is temporary, unless you are truly in the "elite".
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
guest3571

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2023, 14:21:45 pm »

Personally think its a shame about Torquay. Had some very good trips there including a promotion.
Also had a really s*** game (5-0 I think early one season) but overall a club I would like back in the league.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: